Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  11:49:24  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message
Well.

Another vote here for:

The Bane, Bhaal, Myrkul origin and the return of Bane

Plus:

The lands of Sammarash, Veldorn, Tharsult, and ruined Peleveria (including, of course, the origins of Gargauth), Moander, Moander, Moander.
Go to Top of Page

Kazzaroth
Learned Scribe

Finland
104 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  12:52:05  Show Profile  Visit Kazzaroth's Homepage Send Kazzaroth a Private Message
I vote yes also to the story of the Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul (before they becomed gods, those three are so far the few people who becomed gods via trough own achievements, evil as people can come but admirable because of their epic accomplishments).
Go to Top of Page

Ladejarl
Seeker

Norway
55 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  13:50:36  Show Profile  Visit Ladejarl's Homepage Send Ladejarl a Private Message
My Lady of the Hood, I am yours to command.

The LadeJarl adds his suport here:
quote:
Originally posted by Kazzaroth

I vote yes also to the story of the Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul (before they becomed gods, those three are so far the few people who becomed gods via trough own achievements, evil as people can come but admirable because of their epic accomplishments).

and here:
quote:
More about the clergy of the various temples or the high priests/priestesses that have been mentioned.

I will continue to ponder on this matter whilest down in the dungeons.

"There should be much less violence, and more nudity and kinkiness in the world."
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  14:18:04  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
Naw, I dont want much more about those three deities. I like the story of the gods as much as the next person, but, I'd also just like to see more infomation about places that we already ask questions about, peoples we already ask questions about.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  15:48:53  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message

Another idea : The new elven land in the "Far North" because it seems that Elaine won't be writing on it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  17:36:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Another idea would be the Sorceress in Gray or that one who desintegrated a small island, I always forgot her name.

Krash did a good write-up on Shaaan the Serpent Queen (she of the disintegrating island) in the fourth volume of the Candlekeep Compendium. Click on the link in my sig.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  17:38:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Me, I'd like to see more on Lurue, Nobanion, the Guthmere Forest, and the Knights of the Unicorn.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  01:03:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Oh, and I forgot: things dwarven. Information on the dwarves of the Realms. Clans, clanholds, unique alloys/metals, dwarven champions, brotherhoods (adventuring companies), dwarven history, etc. Basically, more on dwarves.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  01:26:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Oh, and I forgot: things dwarven. Information on the dwarves of the Realms. Clans, clanholds, unique alloys/metals, dwarven champions, brotherhoods (adventuring companies), dwarven history, etc. Basically, more on dwarves.

-- George Krashos

I'll add to that, though change the racial type to GNOMES.

Ed, how about a little love for the Forgotten Folk?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  01:47:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

-- George Krashos

And halflings. :) Come on, gotta have some hairy feet loving. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  02:56:06  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message
I love it when Ed asks these questions.

For me, one thing sprung instantly to mind, and it has already been suggested, so I support whole-heartedly getting information on Sossal. Especially any interactions it has with the Angu/Iu/Nakulutians (sp?!), the people of Rashemar, and the local Avariel.

But upon reading suggestions, I also am reminded of my need for information of the Bane/Bhaal/Myrkul triangle of old and Bane's recent return, as well as any more information on Murghom and Semphar.

But Sossal first and foremost!

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  04:16:45  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message
so i finally decided what we havent heard about but have been teased with.

first theres Sossal and the far north. Especially the human druids up there. We have hints from a lot fo sources as to some great adventuring locales up there but so far we dont have FR frostburn type sourcebook. In a way the first ties into the second idea...
#2 to include more about the non-sarrukh-creator races... We heard hints that aearees lived on the top of the world etc. And a lot of a sources especially in 3.0+ editions have hinted at these cool races. I was kinda dissapointed that Dragons of Faerun didnt have any real lore on these races seeing as they dominated just before the Dawn Age when dragons ruled. The batrachi etc. are also interesting and some rumors have led to them being in the third lost place

#3 is maztica. This realm is the place where rumors say the other creator races and their offshoots live. Its a land that is more attached to faerunian history than the other nondescript continents by far.
And there is so little canon lore about it.
Anyway,
Those are just my humble thoughts.
-beir

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema

Edited by - Beirnadri Magranth on 03 Sep 2006 17:22:07
Go to Top of Page

Ladejarl
Seeker

Norway
55 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  12:00:28  Show Profile  Visit Ladejarl's Homepage Send Ladejarl a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

-- George Krashos

And halflings. :) Come on, gotta have some hairy feet loving. :)

Oooh, cuddly

On a serious note, I would like to read more about all three of them.

And now, for a very long shot: Fest-Halls, high-coin lasses. In short, more on the people that make their livelihood in the nether regions of the Realms.

"There should be much less violence, and more nudity and kinkiness in the world."

Edited by - Ladejarl on 03 Sep 2006 14:16:12
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  12:49:22  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

so i finally decided what we havent heard about but have been teased with.

first theres Sossal and the far north. Especially the human druids up there. We have hints from a lot fo sources as to some great adventuring locales up there but so far we dont have FR frostburn type sourcebook.
In a way the first ties into the second idea which is to include more about the non-sarrukh-creator races... We heard hints that aearees lived on the top of the world etc. And a lot of a sources especially in 3.0+ editions have hinted at these cool races. I was kinda dissapointed that races of dragon didnt have any real lore on these races seeing as they dominated just before the Dawn Age when dragons ruled. The batrachi etc. are also interesting and some rumors have led to them being in the third lost place

which is maztica. This realm is the place where rumors say the other creator races and their offshoots live. Its a land that is more attached to faerunian history than the other nondescript continents by far.
And there is so little canon lore about it.
anyway
thsoe are just my humble thoughts
-beir

At "Secrets of the Realms" 2006, WoTC fellow basically said we wont see anything about the other continents. Why? Because we all know that WoTC would rather build up stupid things then give detail and love to all things :D, cause Maztica would be a fun place to see again.

Mod Edit: Just clearing up the language a bit.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Sep 2006 15:42:10
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  13:55:24  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
I'd say the part of the Realms I'd most like to see more of at the moment would be the Wizards' Reach or, as others have said already, "stuff" about dwarves, halflings, and/or gnomes.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  15:54:18  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
I'd love to see more on Sembia. There's really not much about it in the sourcebooks.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  16:11:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

I'd love to see more on Sembia. There's really not much about it in the sourcebooks.

That's largely because, in previous editions, TSR decided to leave it as a area for DM's to detail, for the most part.

Forgotten Realms Adventures has some info as do the novels set in Sembia -- the Sembia series. The 1e/2e FRCS, and the 3e FRCS also.

As well, head over to Ed's Realmslore column archive (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl) and read through "The Matchmaker of Sembia" series and "The Flourishing Career of Melvos Hammerstars" series.

And don't forget Ed's Candlekeep replies also...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  21:27:15  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
Ed (and Lady Hooded), I always wanted you/us to do more with those mountains and immediate environs north of Waterdeep. Not Luskan, but all points in between it and Waterdeep. After all, there's a LOT that could be hidden in those mountains beyond the few named peaks like Sar and Helimbrar.....

Steven
Who managed to slide a little bit of lore therein because there was room....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2006 :  21:46:27  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
I would like to hear more about the Return of Bane, which for some insane reason has not been depicted yet.

Would also like more about the future King of Cormyr! the little "Scourge of womanhood" as i believe Storm called him, Azoun.
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  04:10:56  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message
Halaster his backstory early early childhood of the very old halaster and his beloved undermountain also the Zulkirs of Thay have absolutely no novel on them, Ioulaum and Tabra, Parzal the Outrageous, Winterkeep which is like never mentioned but yet its big on the map, and lastly Narfell

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

by: An Old Sage (anonymous)
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  05:39:09  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Ok, another emergency!
(game on Wednesday... and Realms politics are rearing their heads... )

Background: my campaign started in 1372 DR. Around mid 1375 DR, after vanquishing a major foe and inadvertently saving Waterdeep from partial destruction (emphasis on inadvertantly), the heroes have returned to their homes in Velprintalar. One of these heroes, a gnomish entrepreneur, gained enough fame and repute to find a very influential business partner, which in turn recruited a lot of workforce for the gnome. [gnome has Leadership feat, with Economic Leadership Score of 25, including Influence Modifier of +2; his business partner is his cohort, a gnomish Merchant Princess from the Dragonjaw Mountains with the Business Savvy and Favored in Guild feats, and she has memberships in two major guilds in Velprintalar - she is taking Leadership in one level as well, which will greatly enhance the Influence Score of both gnomes, etc.]

The Skinny: In contacting the City officials, the gnome wants to ensure that any of his plans for a gnomish contingent in Velprintalar are not only permitted but welcomed. The gnome's offer is simple: permit gnomes to take refuge in Velprintalar and allow them to construct their own community under the city. In return, the gnomes will provide high quality arms and equipment to defend Aglarond. The Gnome city is requested to remain secret from the public, for fear of intrusion or resentment from some of the bigger races. With magical arms and armor created at or just above cost, Velprintalar could quickly become the best equiped fighting force Faerun has seen. The gnome also hints that his illusionists and newly formed clergy may also offer service in the defense of Velprintalar. "Underhome" as the gnome plans to call it will take years to construct, and will offer refuge beneath the surface for the citizens of Velprintalar...should the need ever arise.

Question: Would the Simbul agree to the terms outlined above? More importantly, what is the 'schedule' of the Simbul at this time? (1375 - 1377 DR)

I know she was active in the Elminster in Hell and Elminster's Daughter novels, the latter of which seems to indicate that she has some 'free time' to rule at this point. I can approximate that latest appearances in El's Daughter were around 1374 DR: I would appreciate if Ed could somehow tell me if "I'm in the ballpark", and if, for my campaign's purposes, it would be safe to say that she can meet high-level PCs in 1375-77 DR

Finally, and I know this would be considered 'eating my cake too': could we get rough 'roleplay' guidelines as to how the Simbul may present herself and interact with such 'high-level' adventurers, who now feel confident and important enough that the "realm cannot go without their good contribution." [i.e. egos are getting a bit bigger, and 'making things happen' is the order of the day for the gnome...]
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  06:16:29  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message
Ed (and THO), the Realms has examples of good outsiders (such as Malkizid) that have fallen and become evil. Are there any examples of evil outsiders that have become good?

Also, could you comment on the general level of medical expertise in the Realms? Of course there is plenty of magical healing, but are there individuals or area where medicine has become more advanced?

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 04 Sep 2006 06:17:18
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  07:37:32  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
Oh yeah, almost forgot about Halaster! More about Halaster and his background! :)
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  07:48:37  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

Also, could you comment on the general level of medical expertise in the Realms? Of course there is plenty of magical healing, but are there individuals or area where medicine has become more advanced?

Eytan

You might want to check Kujes Ed Files, I seem to recall that Ed gave a fair bit of infomation on non magical healing around 6- 12 months ago

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  12:54:34  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message
I am going to have to agree with a lot of other scribes here and say that I'd like more detailed information on the gnomes, halfings, and dwarves of the realms.

Shortly after that in order of importance are the effects of the return of Bane on his clergy as well as the actual details of his return.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 04 Sep 2006 12:55:38
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  17:57:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Eytan

You might want to check Kujes Ed Files, I seem to recall that Ed gave a fair bit of infomation on non magical healing around 6- 12 months ago

He has more then once actually since I've asked about things like that ever since 2004. I'll say it again, check the table of contents/index. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  19:34:56  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Eytan

He has more then once actually since I've asked about things like that ever since 2004. I'll say it again, check the table of contents/index. :)

I don't see what you're referring to. For the most part, I only have time to check the forum discussions, so I'm not all that up on what else is on the site.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 04 Sep 2006 19:44:51
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  20:13:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

I don't see what you're referring to. For the most part, I only have time to check the forum discussions, so I'm not all that up on what else is on the site.

The link is in my sig. :)

Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2006 :  09:00:16  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
Greetings.

Mr.Greenwood, today i have just a quick question.

I recently re-read The Shadow of the Avatar Trilogy, and in the end of All Shadows Fled:

SPOILER

it was mentioned by Azuth to Midnight: "Sharantyr`s first child, at least,"
Azuth said softly as the two gods stood together by the fire, magically hidden from mortals and Chosen, "will be thine."

Midnight nodded. "She`ll need to be strong, and soon...magic may be biddable again, and the gods backin their places."
The godess sighen then, and added almost in a whisper, "More than that: Elminster cannot last forever."

Now, this brings me to my queries. Who would be the father of this child? Belkram, Itharr, or even convieced by Mystras art? What are your thoughts and desires about making a new novel about The Rangers Three, or containing this information? It would seem to me like Mystra was planning something! :)

-Stig-
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2006 :  10:49:00  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
Mystra's the goddess of magic and mysteries, that woman is always planning something.

Last night I heard she was planning a dinner with Ed. I could be wrong tho, I could be very wrong.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000