Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  03:39:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes. Ed felt he’d been neglecting Wooly Rupert, and so has tackled Wooly’s query: “A discussion in another thread has mentioned something from one of the Elminster's Ecologies books: the existence of dinosaurs in the Stonelands. To some of us, this seems to be an odd place to drop dinosaurs... And, now that I think about it, I'm not recalling any other references to dinosaurs being there. So, in your Realms, are there dinosaurs in the Stonelands? And either way, is there anything you could add about their official presence there?”
Ed replies:

The Sage is quite right to remind us of my Candle04Page38 reply: there once were many dinosaurs in the Realms, but the dragons flourished by dining on almost all of them, leaving only handfuls behind (usually in jungles or other “good cover from flying wyrms” terrain).
The Stonelands are just such terrain, with their knife-edged ridges, deep ravines, caverns and overhangs, and exposed horns and faces of stone. So, yes, there are a few dinosaurs lurking deep in the Stonelands. Almost all are ostrich-sized or smaller velociraptors (bird-like, darting and hopping predators, of the sort featured so prominently in JURASSIC PARK: see fleshraker and swindlesplitter under “Dinosaur” in the MM3), though there are a few deinonychus (MM). They hibernate in deep, “warmrock” rifts (near earth nodes and volcanic flows) and hunt in cover, never leaving the Stonelands or racing along heights of land (for fear of being devoured by dragons; the Zhent foulwings, dark horrors, and other aerial steeds remind the dim-witted dinosaurs of the “death from above” that they now instinctively fear).

So saith Ed, who will recall Torm trying to interest Jhessail in a skewer of dinosaur steaks that she said VERY rude things about. Even Rathan, with the aid of much wine, downed them only with difficulty, finding them “tough, and with a curious dead-mushrooms taste.”
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  04:00:01  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
'Lo, gracious Lady THO. A question for Ed to answer as swiftly as he can, please:
Ed, I know you're giving a reading at the Cobourg Public Library this coming Monday - - 2 pm, fellow scribes, and Cobourg's in eastern Ontario, Canada - - and talking to those who attend. Can you reveal if your reading will include excerpts from SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR?
My book industry friends tell me no ARCs of SWORDS went out for review (at least, not in Canada), but my friend in Customs says at least a box of copies recently "went through" from Wizards to you (bwoohahaha, yes, our eyes are EVERYWHERE!).
Inquiring minds want to know . . .
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29643 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  18:00:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
The final chapter of Oroon Rising has been posted:

Oroon Rising - Chap. 17

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  02:55:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Blueblade, Ed tells me he wasn't planning on reading from SWORDS, but rather from "a few old favourites." He warns that this is part of the province-wide Summer Reading Club (which Ed helped design, one year, back when he was working for NYPL), and that the audience may be rather young; he'll tailor the reading to his listeners.
This time Ed tackles two queries from Blackwill: “Greeting madame THO and sir Ed, I am a member of a community (ALFA) dedicated to recreating your realms within Neverwinter Nights (2) and sometimes we have strange and funny questions which add flavor to the world we've created. Here goes. Is there any whale catching within the realms? Are there specific types of whale?
What is your personal favorite region in the realms, and why?”
Ed replies:

Yes, indeed, there’s whaling in the Realms (in the western and southern seas that bound Faerûn, almost never in the Sea of Fallen Stars). These days, it’s practiced by Chultans, by pirates in the Nelanther when food is slim or they need to waterproof their hulls, by a handful of Korinna Ffolk and Tashalan seacaptains, and especially by the Northmen.
(I’m distinguishing here between seeking whales at sea to slay them, and fighting off sea creatures that attack ships; many warm shallow waters are plagued by tentacled things that snatch sailors off decks at night, and even drag down or tear apart smaller vessels.)

Here are the main species of whales hunted by whalers:

• The Araun
This huge species is the largest of known Faerûnian whales (many are more than two hundred feet long), and in shape resembles a gigantic cucumber or Zeppelin. It usually drifts slowly through the sea, mouth open wide, scooping up plankton and small fish alike—but it can charge at astonishing speeds to ram and sink ships, if aroused, or [males only] to ‘head-butt’ other araun to establish dominance over a bay or a specific female during spring mating times. Araun females can carry fertilized eggs and fetal whales within themselves for years, giving birth only when conditions are ideal (clean waters, abundant food, lack of bad weather or predators, warm spring or summer conditions). Araun have jet black skin, underlaid by a thick white layer of edible blubber, with huge amounts of quite pleasant, “roast beef”-like meat underneath, that keeps well if kept submerged in salt water or sealed away from air in a barrel that’s been smeared with blubber (araun blubber has a smell like fresh cut grass, and rapidly forms a “skin” like varnish when exposed to air, so it’s doesn’t stay sticky to the touch, but water softens this skin on contact; the blubber can be used for frying, boiled down into a cooking oil or fragrant lamp oil if combined with the right herbs (both for smell and taste, and to alter it so it won’t congeal back into blubber). Araun organs are also edible, the liver and heart being incredibly rich and a prized ingredient in some recipes for beneficial potions; a dead araun can feed a village for months.

• The Daerasluke
This fast, agile, whale likes to play (leaping clear of the water, chasing each other around ships, islands, and undersea obstacles) in pairs or small groups. Daerasluke are slender, 50 to 70 feet long when full-grown, have large front fins and heads like very large flat arrowheads, and are sandy-hued. Under their hides is a thin layer of spongy yellow skin that leaks a yellow oil that can be burned as lamp oil just “as is” (so stabbing a beached or dead daerasluke causes an outflow of oil that barrels and lamps can be filled from). Under this is white, fibrous, “whitefish”-like flesh that’s very oily, but edible; it can be squeezed to “drive out” the oil and the less-oily flesh then eaten (it “fries itself” when cooked), or it can be cooked down or boiled down to separate out a lot more oil if the flesh isn’t wanted for eating. Daerasluke are plentiful, and females usually give birth to six or seven frisky young at once; they may produce two such families in a season if conditions are favourable.
. . .

I’ve cut Ed’s reply in half here to avoid hitting the post size limits, and will post the rest here tomorrow.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29643 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  07:19:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, fellow scribes. Ed felt he’d been neglecting Wooly Rupert, and so has tackled Wooly’s query: “A discussion in another thread has mentioned something from one of the Elminster's Ecologies books: the existence of dinosaurs in the Stonelands. To some of us, this seems to be an odd place to drop dinosaurs... And, now that I think about it, I'm not recalling any other references to dinosaurs being there. So, in your Realms, are there dinosaurs in the Stonelands? And either way, is there anything you could add about their official presence there?”
Ed replies:

The Sage is quite right to remind us of my Candle04Page38 reply: there once were many dinosaurs in the Realms, but the dragons flourished by dining on almost all of them, leaving only handfuls behind (usually in jungles or other “good cover from flying wyrms” terrain).
The Stonelands are just such terrain, with their knife-edged ridges, deep ravines, caverns and overhangs, and exposed horns and faces of stone. So, yes, there are a few dinosaurs lurking deep in the Stonelands. Almost all are ostrich-sized or smaller velociraptors (bird-like, darting and hopping predators, of the sort featured so prominently in JURASSIC PARK: see fleshraker and swindlesplitter under “Dinosaur” in the MM3), though there are a few deinonychus (MM). They hibernate in deep, “warmrock” rifts (near earth nodes and volcanic flows) and hunt in cover, never leaving the Stonelands or racing along heights of land (for fear of being devoured by dragons; the Zhent foulwings, dark horrors, and other aerial steeds remind the dim-witted dinosaurs of the “death from above” that they now instinctively fear).

So saith Ed, who will recall Torm trying to interest Jhessail in a skewer of dinosaur steaks that she said VERY rude things about. Even Rathan, with the aid of much wine, downed them only with difficulty, finding them “tough, and with a curious dead-mushrooms taste.”
love to all,
THO

Wow... I'd forgotten about that question!

Naetheless, I am grateful for an answer. Thanks!

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Seeker

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  09:15:10  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage  Send Athenon an AOL message Send Athenon a Private Message
Ed and THO,

Two quick questions: 1) Do you anxiously await GenCon each year?
2) Any plans to do a reading from Swords of Eveningstar at GenCon?

Thanks as always!

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  15:24:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Will, it’s like this: I can rarely swing the time off from my job to attend GenCon, but I often, ahem, detect something we just have to “deal with, right now” in the vicinity of the RCA Dome in Indianapolis, on a few specific dates, if you know what I mean . . .
Ed doesn’t anxiously await GenCon so much as he writes like heck and hopes he can get done whatever he has to get done, before GenCon rushes up to meet him. He loves attending GenCon, yes, despite the cost (writers don’t make all that much, and Ed is one of those rarer sorts of guys who loves to shop), and says it “recharges his batteries” seeing old friends and meeting fans.
He wasn’t planning on doing a SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR reading at GenCon, except perhaps informally, to friends (because all GenCon events have to be carefully planned and cleared with the GenCon staff, and it doesn’t seem that WotC included such an event on their request list), but Ed usually doesn’t know his “final, final, FINAL” con schedule until mere days before he starts the drive down. So, if you see him at the con, ask him to do a reading. If he gets the chance, he will.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  01:34:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, scribes. Herewith, the second half of Ed’s replies to Blackwill, beginning with another two species of whales:

• The Karrask
This is an armored-headed, fearsome-looking monster of many seafarers’ tales, the whale that “likes to fight,” ramming ships, shearing off oars, and even leaping out of the water to land on and swamp small boats. Karrask have large, glistening black-and-gold “false eyes,” but actually see out of many tiny orbs studded here and there in the fissures between their armor plates. A karrask has a head like a giant horseshoe crab (except that where a crab has an unbroken plate as its “shoe” snout, a karrask has the same shape made up of many overlapping plates), and an adult is usually around 80 feet long, with some old warriors reaching 120 feet or more. Karrasks are loners, meeting in shoals and deserted islets far out to sea to mate, with only the males “cruising the coasts” (where they’ll eat anything organic, including sailors fallen overboard). Karrask yield almost no oil, but have thick white muscles under their skins (feet thick) that’s said to resemble but surpass the finest white pork in flavour. A single slain karrask can feed a village very well for almost a month, or make a merchant’s fortune if the meat (white flesh that hangs together very well, and is often cut into blocks about the size of a handkeg, by men wielding double-handled saws and holding the meat in “coffers” made of boards while they work on it) is brought fresh to a port market.

• The Browntail
The most common sort of whale, found in large pods swimming slowly around harbours and along coasts, “grazing” on weed (and the algae that bloom on sewage). Small (most adults are between 30 and 40 feet long), placid, and bony, resembling large trout in shape. Their skins are mottled light and dark brown, and white on the underside, with the tails being darker, unmottled brown. Browntails are easily caught, even by whalers working harpoons and nets from ashore, and yield much edible but oily beige-hued flesh that despite their diet, doesn’t taste bad. It is, however, heavy on the stomach and an acquired taste. Browntail oil is gained by boiling the hide, and yields a fitful, flickering, brownish light when used in lamps; its horrible taste bars it from cooking use (except by orcs and goblins, most of whom drink the raw oil avidly). It is, however, ideal for “waterproofing” canvas (it makes the cloth resist being waterlogged, protects it from rotting, growing molds or breaking down in the sun), and when mixed with several other (secret) ingredients, works as a very effective sealant on leaky wooden hulls, and so is much prized by pirates, who often come into harbours to hunt whales more than raid shipping.

Now, as for your second question: I honestly don’t have a single favourite region in the Realms, because I can’t choose between the Dalelands, Cormyr, Waterdeep, Silverymoon, the Unicorn Run, and the Border Kingdoms. I love ’em all. (This is like asking someone to choose which of their children is their favourite!)

So saith Ed, who can talk “Salty Old Cap’n Highliner Pirate Seadog” with the best of them. No, DON’T encourage him.
Especially if you’re a flirtatious female.
And even vaguely human.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  01:42:31  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:

I can’t choose between the Dalelands, Cormyr, Waterdeep, Silverymoon, the Unicorn Run, and the Border Kingdoms. I love ’em all. (This is like asking someone to choose which of their children is their favourite!)

Now that the Border Kingdoms are well covered, maybe Ed could talk us a bit more about the Unicorn Run ? (The others are well-covered in published realms)
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  02:25:10  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage  Click to see Neriandal Freit's MSN Messenger address Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
quote:

Will, it�s like this: I can rarely swing the time off from my job to attend GenCon, but I often, ahem, detect something we just have to �deal with, right now� in the vicinity of the RCA Dome in Indianapolis, on a few specific dates, if you know what I mean . . .
Ed doesn�t anxiously await GenCon so much as he writes like heck and hopes he can get done whatever he has to get done, before GenCon rushes up to meet him. He loves attending GenCon, yes, despite the cost (writers don�t make all that much, and Ed is one of those rarer sorts of guys who loves to shop), and says it �recharges his batteries� seeing old friends and meeting fans.
He wasn�t planning on doing a SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR reading at GenCon, except perhaps informally, to friends (because all GenCon events have to be carefully planned and cleared with the GenCon staff, and it doesn�t seem that WotC included such an event on their request list), but Ed usually doesn�t know his �final, final, FINAL� con schedule until mere days before he starts the drive down. So, if you see him at the con, ask him to do a reading. If he gets the chance, he will.
love,
THO

Sounds like the 4 or 5 Candlekeep Members who are going this year should ask

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  06:45:32  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
I'll be there, hoping to at least get a photograph of the man.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  07:00:20  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

I'll be there, hoping to at least get a photograph of the man.

Did you see my gencon thread on the general boards? we decided to do a small meet up of keep posters/authors/game designers.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  12:38:41  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message
Dearest Ed & THO

I've been looking for information on the Island of Tharsult in the Shining Sea. The most I've found is from you on the WotC website here : http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fr/20010509b

Is there any more? Anywhere?

Hungrily yours,

Na-Gang

Edited by - Na-Gang on 24 Jul 2006 12:40:21
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  13:46:04  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Na-Gang, I replied in your "Tharsult" scroll, but I'll repeat myself here as well...

Tharsult isn't a heavily detailed locale in the Realms.

The 2e Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover has a few brief mentions, as does the 3e Races of Faerun. There's the odd tidbit in Empires of the Shining Sea but these mainly relate Tharsult to places on the coast.

Additionally, Eric had this to say -

"Tharsult is not detailed in Serpent Kingdoms (at least I didn't write it up due to space considerations), although I have a few ideas regarding it. Maybe I'll put them together someday.

As for a tie between Tharsult and the scaly folk, discussions with Ed suggest it was once a lizardman kingdom, but the lizardmen have retreated into the Underdark via the hundreds of limestone tunnels that honeycomb the island. Their descendants now dwell in an isolated region of the Underdark beneath the island but may or may not be thriving.
--Eric"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  14:58:01  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message
Thank you learned Sage. I'll feel even more free to flesh it out and imaginatively embellish than I would with other locales. Hurrah!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  14:58:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi once again, fellow scribes. Ed herewith tackles a query from Naeryndam: “Do you have any information detailing Antarn the Sage's life or perhaps stats (if he is still alive)? The only information I can seem to find on him are quotes from "The High History of Faerunian Archmages Mighty".”
Ed replies:

You have found the only in-print Realmslore on this individual, but here’s more:

Antarn the Sage is indeed still alive and flourishing, as a wealthy sage in Athkatla. It’s hard to get to see him these days, as he grows elderly and increasingly reclusive in his modest, always-shuttered tower in the east end of that city, and deals with would-be clients through two trade agents: retired adventurers (fighting-men) named Hyelan Zorandel and Drethtar Wildtree, who take turns dining at Taerandamlur’s feasthouse (we would say “restaurant”) of early afternoon and evenings on Antarn’s coins, awaiting anyone who wants to drop by their table and try to hire the sage to provide information on a matter. Zorandel and Wildtree are empowered to engage Antarn’s services, setting very stiff fees (10 gp minimum, even if no lore is given; refusal to pay means Antarn will never entertain another query from the same source; on top of this, 10 gp per name, yes/no answer, or location provided, plus 25 gp per identification, simple description, or simple explanation; fees escalate for more complex lore, usually starting from a base of 50 gp and easily reaching 80 gp). They later bring back written results to the same tables in Taerandamlur’s (which stands on Sardel Street, and is a many-lamp-hung, haughty place of marble pillars, many wines, and superb food), for clients to return and collect. Throughout such dealings, the short, slender, dapper, brown-bearded (he dyes it to retain its chestnut hue) Antarn is never directly seen.
Antarn does go out to buy his own provender (he cooks for himself, Zorandel, and Wildtree), to (rarely) stroll and see the evening sights, and to seek highcoin (refined, quieter and older) ladies-of-the-evening, with whom he likes to play board and card games before “bed games.” On such occasions, he avoids identifying himself to anyone, and goes about protected by an [[ironguard ring]], a [[ring of shooting stars]] and an assortment of minor magic items. Antarn is a loner who has devoted his life to study, and copies stolen books (except for actual spell text) for various Athkatlan thieves (whom he deals with through Zorandel and Wildtree) in return for their supplying him with whatever books he wants to consult (temporarily stolen from Athkatlan private and temple libraries). He’s perfectly content to live out his days reading and writing, with Zorandel and Wildtree as his only real friends (as well as employees; they also serve as his bodyguards and errand-runners when he wants them to), having other human contacts only on his terms. He faces danger calmly (“fatalistic” is a good description), and can’t be moved by threats of torture, ruin, death, and maiming. Book burning will enrage him, but he will remain in firm control of his outward emotions and speech, turning to inwardly plotting doom . . .
In game terms, Antarn is a LN male Tethyrian human Exp14 [sage: Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (nobility and royalty)]. Antarn will provide lore about the deeds, lineages, and descriptions of practitioners of Art, but NOT about spells or arcane lore, pretending to know “regrettably, almost nothing about magic.” His major work thus far is THE HIGH HISTORY OF FAERUNIAN ARCHMAGES MIGHTY, but he has also penned the chapbooks DURSUNDER STREET: A LOCAL HISTORY and HUNTSILVER ERRANT: A LIFE OF ONDAMARR HUNTSILVER (about a young male adventurer of the Huntsilver noble family of Cormyr, who came to Athkatla almost a century ago and made his fortune, ending up transformed into human female form and the wife of a very rich Amnian cloth merchant, Harstel Maunkvaer).

So saith Ed. Who roleplayed a meeting between the Knights and Zorandel (an amiable but formidable individual), once. We never had dealings with Antarn, though. As Torm put it, “Hire some stuffy sage to tell us something when it’s much more fun to find the right person to tell us for free - - after we’ve taken hold of his throat and shaken him long enough?”
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  15:17:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
A postscript, to Na-Gang: Ed DOES have notes on Tharsult, because I've seen them. He probably stopped hammering them into Realmslore web-columns when Eric Boyd asked for Tharsult info (figuring Eric would use them). I'll add your request to the heap on his desk, but right now he's so blamed busy that anything that involves a search for something may not happen until after year-end.
But then again, maybe he has it right in front of him, right now.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  17:09:13  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message
Thank you Lady Hood.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  21:56:45  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Quick question: is Ed still working his full-time job as a librarian, on top of the gazillion things he's doing in publishing?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  00:36:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
No, Ed "retired" from Toronto Public Library (North York Public Library) when his wife did. He now works part-time in a different library system (in Port Hope, Ontario; Ed's there about 15 hours a week or so; sometimes more, sometimes less). He's also chair of his local library board.
Ahem. Hello again, all.
This time Ed pulls together parts of two widely-separated posts by createvmind (don’t worry, neither he nor I have discarded the rest of those posts; they, too, will get answered in the fullness of time): “Side question, the Skindancer in MM3 does it exist in YOUR Realms?” and the earlier “One last thing, do half-vampires exist in YOUR Faerun?” and replies:

Yes, both half-vampires and skindancers exist in the Realms, but both are rather rare (the latter only as guardians in certain ancient “dungeon” tombs).

Ed also responds to this, from createvmind: “Looking forward to hopefully meeting you at Gencon.”

I hope we can meet, and talk Realmslore somewhere. Aside from buying gaming goodies and seeing old friends, meeting fans of the Realms and enjoying the Realms together is the reason I come to GenCon. I’ll look forward to it!

So saith Ed. Who can certainly talk.
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  00:44:33  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage  Click to see Neriandal Freit's MSN Messenger address Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
I'm just going to really listen in and ask a few questions if we manage to be together (that meaning the people of Keep) with Ed at the same time.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  01:36:33  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thank you for response Hooded one
And same here Neriandal, actually debating whether I should arrive on Wednesday.
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  02:56:39  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage  Click to see Neriandal Freit's MSN Messenger address Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
I would, only because I have a concern for someone else that they are going tobe rather tired and waht not when they come in Thurday Morning.

But hey, I've got just an hours drive so hehe :P

Go to Top of Page

Blackwill
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  10:55:41  Show Profile  Visit Blackwill's Homepage  Click to see Blackwill's MSN Messenger address Send Blackwill a Private Message
Thank you muchly for answering my question lady Hooded One and lord Greenwood.

Onwards to my next few questions.

1) In the old 2e book "The Moonsea" the beholder Xulla is mentioned to have taken the place of it's predecessor within the temple in the sky, which is bound to the Flaming Tower. And there acted as a voice of Bane.

Within a more recent binding, "Lords of Darkness" if I'm correct, she's mentioned as a caravan lord of the Zhentarim.

How did this transition take place, and who's taken her place, if anyone, within the temple in the sky as Bane's voice?

2) I haven't found next to no mention of Manxam, the beholder, within any 3e bindings. Does Manxam still live? If so, what is he up to?

3) With Manshoon's great inflence over these, and other powerfull beholders, why did they not aid him when he fell from power within the Zhentarim? And what is their relation to Fzoul now he runs the show?

4) Do Manshoon and Sememmon still have any contact at all since Manshoon's fall of power?

5) Is there anything we can know which is in the works for Fzoul's possible purge of Darkhold?

Thank you muchly for regarding my questions.

~Blackwill

~Blackwill
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2006 :  11:15:34  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blackwill

Thank you muchly for answering my question lady Hooded One and lord Greenwood.

Onwards to my next few questions.

1) In the old 2e book "The Moonsea" the beholder Xulla is mentioned to have taken the place of it's predecessor within the temple in the sky, which is bound to the Flaming Tower. And there acted as a voice of Bane.

Within a more recent binding, "Lords of Darkness" if I'm correct, she's mentioned as a caravan lord of the Zhentarim.

How did this transition take place, and who's taken her place, if anyone, within the temple in the sky as Bane's voice?

2) I haven't found next to no mention of Manxam, the beholder, within any 3e bindings. Does Manxam still live? If so, what is he up to?

3) With Manshoon's great inflence over these, and other powerfull beholders, why did they not aid him when he fell from power within the Zhentarim? And what is their relation to Fzoul now he runs the show?

4) Do Manshoon and Sememmon still have any contact at all since Manshoon's fall of power?

5) Is there anything we can know which is in the works for Fzoul's possible purge of Darkhold?

Thank you muchly for regarding my questions.

~Blackwill

Im not Ed but I can direct you to answers for Question 1

Check out the Temple in the Sky Write up in Powers of faerun

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly