Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  14:34:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed tackles a query from HunterOfStorms this time, to whit: “I've recently been looking through Power of Faerun with particular interest in the Heralds section and am wondering whether the Heralds (in the context of the over-arching organisation) are humano-centric - ie. only keep track of human related heraldry (even in mixed populations) - or whether they maintain a broader purview. Which leads into a couple of questions :)
How far back beyond their founding would any records of the Heralds stretch (and how accurate might they be - are they that interested in confirming any snippets of lore they might uncover relating to heraldic lines before their official records begin)?
Is there any Herald prescence in exclusively non-human settlements, eg. Evermeet, Evereska, Luiren, The Great Rift etc.? Or even in predominently non-human places? If not, then do the Heralds communicate at all with the equivalent heraldic lore keepers of other races - and who might these lore keepers be?
Hmm, possibly more than a couple of questions :) and I'm sure I'll think of yet more in the future.
The recent House Alastrarra reply was lovely, Might we possibly see more of a similar nature in Realmslore columns, perchance?
Many thanks as always,
Hunter”
Ed replies:

A pleasure! To respond to your last, first: I’d love to serve forth detailed Realmslore all the time here at Candlekeep, but I’m going to be tearingly busy for at least the next two years with all sorts of things that I mostly can’t tell anyone about, yet. I literally have to snatch about ten minutes a day to write a lore reply and then fight with my aging dialup for another fifteen minutes or so (it loves to disconnect me, often and repeatedly) to get it posted. I deeply, achingly wish I had more TIME to do . . . everything. :}
Now, as for the Heralds: they are definitely humano-centric. They were started by humans who saw the route to civilization to copying the elven family pride, cherishing of traditions, remembering the past clearly and celebrating good achievements and “honour.” Elves, by and large, didn’t cooperate with them and still don’t (Myth Drannor and scattered individual moon elves are exceptions). Half-elves (rebuffed by “pure” elves) eagerly did and do cooperate. The Heralds are interested in all genealogy and heraldry (human first and foremost, just because it’s the main corpus of their work, and “mustn’t be neglected”), but in general, elves and dwarves are too proud and private to yield up family or clan records and lore to mere humans (and the Heralds are predominately human and half-elven), gnomes and halflings are often whimsical when it comes to matters of heraldry, thinking it’s silly pretention and quite aside from the serious business of being able to orally recite family trees back into the “Dawn Mists,” and orcs only want to cooperate with the Heralds long enough to stick blades into them and get them onto a roasting-spit for a swift meal. In a settled urban population, the Heralds would certainly keep track of the genealogies of all races - - but note that they are interested in ruling, “founding” or armigerous families, not ALL families.
Their records back before their founding are very spotty and shaky, but they are intensely interested in “confirming any snippets of lore they might uncover relating to heraldic lines before their official records begin,” and often pay sages and others whose judgement they know they can trust to undertake investigations (as well as buying lore-records from all manner of adventurers and peddlers, trustworthy and decidedly un- ).
There are permanent heralds attached to the ruling courts of Luiren and some gnome and halfling holds; elsewhere, Heralds travel and make temporary “updating the rolls” contacts with non-human lorekeepers in such places as Evereska (at the pleasure of such lore keepers, though most demi-human faiths preach that cooperation with the Heralds is a Good Thing, and Should Be Done, and the Heralds strike up friendships and take care to make their services useful and available to the lorekeepers they’re dealing with: “Of course I’ll trade you the family tree of the Angrath family for what I want, and NOT ask why you want it”). The lorekeepers tend to be far-sighted family elders, sages, and heralds, envoys, and judges among the demi-human communities.

So saith Ed. In the home Realms campaign, the Heralds are far more “everday socially prominent” than they are in the published Realms, by the way. One of these days I’d like to see Ed write a Heralds novel. Hmmm, think I’ll suggest it - - just to watch him scream and tear out handfuls of hair . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  15:06:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

One of these days I’d like to see Ed write a Heralds novel. Hmmm, think I’ll suggest it - - just to watch him scream and tear out handfuls of hair . . .
love to all,
THO
You and me both, milady, you and me both.

I'd love some extra novel attention for the Heralds. Maybe if a few of us also throw our support behind your suggestion, Ed'll really consider it... maybe even tear at his beard as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  15:35:12  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message
I have a question for Ed

(and I did a quick search in the forums, looked in Candlekeep [especially the Wonderous Treasures section] first...and it is spelled "whether" when writing "whether or not" (or something similar), not "weather"..and I just found out that "wether" refers to a castrated male sheep! )

when you first designed the maps for Faerun did you add or make any notes on the weather systems? Especially the prevalent winds (wind belts and jet streams) and ocean currents (for the inner sea and the outer oceans)? Do you know of anyone that has done so? And if you did, did you place the forests and such in consideration of winds and precipitation?

I am trying to build a few maps, especially pre-Sundering global maps..and it would really help!

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand

Edited by - Kalin Agrivar on 29 Aug 2006 15:37:44
Go to Top of Page

lobotraxx
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  01:44:50  Show Profile  Visit lobotraxx's Homepage Send lobotraxx a Private Message
Thanks again, THO and Ed for answering my question. Until next question.....
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  02:56:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Speaking of Heralds ...

Out of all the feedback from my "Impiltur" article the one thing that has surprised me is that no-one has latched onto the fact that I created a new High Herald. Or if they did, they did not consider it noteworthy. Ah well, I'll have to get more creative the next time ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 30 Aug 2006 02:56:59
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  03:50:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, gentles! Ed answers createvmind this time, in the matter of: “Great lore which leads me to wonder in Faerun could one Nurue-like person have trained at a monastery in one place, spend years adventurering and then return to the monastic life style. Basically in Faerun could one be monk while young/orphan and not find it appealing then after adventuring say as ranger decide settle down and return to such monastic lifestyle. Does the Monk restriction in D&D overwrite realms living in preventing one from taking monk levels after cross-classing?”
Ed replies:

Of COURSE one can leave the monastic life for adventuring and then return. In fact, most folk who’ve been maimed while adventuring and somehow survived and found their ways “home” end up in monastic care one way or another, either in “madhouses” or almshouses within the monastery or outside it, or by deeding their city and town homes or farms to the monastery in return for the monks caring for them there, as they live out their lives. So one can indeed be born in a monastery or raised in a monastery, then leave to become a ranger, and then later decide to return to that or another monastery (unless one’s behaviour as a ranger so angers a deity as to prevent it, which is very rare). Rules “restrictions” should NEVER override setting lore, although DMs must take care that “bending the rules” doesn’t allow a player to run roughshod over campaign balance, unintentionally or cunningly, by getting this concession and then that concession, until a PC is all-powerful and the fun has been ruined for everyone else.

So saith Ed. Who was a fond Brother Cadfael reader, when “Ellis Peters” was still alive and bring us new tomes annually.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  02:16:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone. More Realmslore from Ed, this time a response to Jorkens, re. this: “What is the size of the major Faerunian rivers? I am thinking of average width and depth. In the sources I have seen the only information is the sailabilty of the waterways, but nothing more. I also wondered about the riverbanks on the major rivers; are we talking heavy vegetation, grassy banks or marshes. The Ashaba is pretty easy to guess, but i am wondering about rivers like the Chionthar and Winding Water.
I am sorry for increasing the already mounting heap of questions, but I cant remember ever seen anything on this subject.
Thank you for any information you can give on the subject.”
Ed replies:

See Page 24 of this (2006) thread for a detailed answer about the River Surbrin.
The rivers of the Sword Coast North tend to be cold, gravel-and-rock bottomed, and fairly clear, with “wetweed” mosses growing under their strongly-flowing waters, and good fishing. Most are forty to sixty feet wide in most places (water only, not their much wider valleys), and have banks of rocks, shrubs, and little “washout” clefts choked with driftwood, pebbles, sand, reeds, and stunted trees.
As one moves south, into warmer climes, the rivers broaden (sixty to eighty feet) and the trees have some hope of surviving longer and growing taller, so the banks get lined with clumps of trees except where humans and other races are stupid enough to cut such growth back. Flow slows, the rivers get shallower (usually around ten to twelve feet at the deepest) as well as broader, and sunlight gets a chance to warm the waters more, so algae and underwater growth and life is more abundant.
The Winding Water is a slow, meandering, dark-water river with oxbows and marshes flanking them for much of its run. It tends to be about fourteen feet deep in most places, but the land flooded by it contains many clefts and hollows, which are now forty- to sixty-foot deep “hidden lakes” in its swamps and main channel. The banks of the river are hard to find, cloaked in reeds and then a zone of “spongy” wet ground ovegrown with tall grasses, willows, and other root-wet trees, before giving way to other trees on slightly drier ground.
By contrast, the Chionthar is like a shipping channel for much of its length: eighty feet or more wide, thirty feet or more deep, slow-moving in its lower stretch (below the confluence), silty (so one can never see through the waters), and serving as the sewer of the cities along it.
In short, the rivers of Faerûn are very much like rivers in the real world everywhere (sans modern phosphate and heavy industry pollution, of course), and offer the full variety. Trees and other riverbank growth is abundant wherever it hasn’t been cut back by intelligent-race (usually human) activity or settlement.

So saith Ed. Whose cottage is on a mighty river system.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  02:51:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hiya Ed and THO,

Did you get my emails that I sent this week. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  08:35:52  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
I am at your feet in thanks sweet Lady of the Hood and give thanks to the Great Beard of the North to; this was just what I was looking for. I have been wondering about those rivers for years.

I will hold others of my innumerable questions for a little while so as to not burden you both any further.

Again thank you.

Jorkens.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  15:33:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
At my feet?
Ooooh, Jorkens! While you're down there . . .
[purr]
Ahem. Kuje: yes, got your message (just one), and repy sent.
Fellow scribes: unfortunately Ed is "right on deadline" at the moment, and is going to have to fall silent for six or seven days. Which frees me to rush around and do a lot of fieldwork, which means that I'll drop offline too.
Not for very long, so keep the questions coming!
Also, Ed has a query for all of you: what do you feel has been the most neglected place and character in the Realms? He's not looking for really obscure "never covered" elements here, but rather ones that published Realmslore have left you wanting to know more about . . . but that we've then "not delivered." The intriguing want-to-know-more-abouts, in other words. Please post them here, and I'll relay them to Ed the moment he and I are back in contact.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

synboy
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  16:00:36  Show Profile  Visit synboy's Homepage Send synboy a Private Message
Winterkeep

Sossal
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  16:03:03  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO, want to know more thingies...

Hmmm, Evereska, we got some info via the Volo Guide and also some through Troy Denning's and Elaine Cunningham's novels, but I'd love to learn more about that city; its history, people etc.

The other, for me, would be Anauroch/Shade.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  16:21:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Also, Ed has a query for all of you: what do you feel has been the most neglected place and character in the Realms? He's not looking for really obscure "never covered" elements here, but rather ones that published Realmslore have left you wanting to know more about . . . but that we've then "not delivered." The intriguing want-to-know-more-abouts, in other words. Please post them here, and I'll relay them to Ed the moment he and I are back in contact.
love to all,
THO
Well, that's a fairly broad area to cover, as I see it. There's plenty from both 1e and 2e that I'd like to see receive some new attention.

Give me some time to think about it.

Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  16:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
I can already hear Kuje pulling out a list of things and suggestions...:P

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  16:58:17  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
Wormtower in Cormyr. That is (at least to me) a good mystery, and with the Cult of the Dragon's activities during the Rage of the Dragons, a good subject to find more about.

Thanks
Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  17:32:02  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message
Ed, do have any ideas on what Myth Drannor is going to be called post-final gate. I think the reclaiming of the ruined city is such an important event that it warrants a name change. I figured that it would be named after one of the three main heroes... the hero of old Myth Drannor and its new savior- Fflar Starbrow Melruth; or after the crusader lord/martyr Seiveril Mieritar and his daughter, the new queen; or after the celestial high mage who restored the mythal and defeated an archfiend and his feryi slave-queen... Aeravin Teshurr.

I liked
Myth Teshurr
or plain the City of Mieritar
or maybe even longer names like
Myth Mieritar Teshurr (even though it sounds very "Warcraft-y")

I'm not sure if you have decided or if WoTC will give you sole naming rights but its just a question even if it is too soon to tell.

EDIT: I came up w/ more names lol:
Myth Mieritardrannor
or Mieritardrannor (mee-AIR-ih-tard-ran-or)
a.k.a. Myth Teshurr.
Myth Teshurrdrannor (teh-SHURE-dr'-nor)

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema

Edited by - Beirnadri Magranth on 16 Sep 2006 07:15:30
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  18:10:54  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

Ed, do have any ideas on what Myth Drannor is going to be called post-final gate. I think the reclaiming of the ruined city is such an important event that it warrants a name change. I figured that it would be named after one of the three main heroes... the hero of old Myth Drannor and its new savior- Fflar Starbrow Melruth; or after the crusader lord/martyr Seiveril Mieritar and his daughter, the new queen; or after the celestial high mage who restored the mythal and defeated an archfiend and his feryi slave-queen... Aeravin Teshurr.

I liked
Myth Teshurr
or plain the City of Mieritar
or maybe even longer names like
Myth Mieritar Teshurr (even though it sounds very "Warcraft-y")

I'm not sure if you have decided or if WoTC will give you sole naming rights but its just a question even if it is too soon to tell.

Maybe Myth Ology

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  18:16:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Well, that's a fairly broad area to cover, as I see it. There's plenty from both 1e and 2e that I'd like to see receive some new attention.

Give me some time to think about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit

I can already hear Kuje pulling out a list of things and suggestions...:P

Grins,

Well that's my problem with this. There are hundreds of NPC's I'd love to see more lore about, so I'm going to have a hard time making a list. But I could narrow it down to this:

I'd like to see more about the sons and daughters of the Knights of Myth Drannor and the NPC's that are allies of them, like the rulers of Shadowdale. The sons and daughters of the King and Queen of the Moonshaes. More about the clergy of the various temples or the high priests/priestesses that have been mentioned. I'd like to know more about the past magisters as well. Secrets of the Magister is good but it only contains a sample of info about them.

As for places..... there's so many! There's temples, ruins, nations, cities.... I dunno. Maybe expand on some of the places from the volo's guides. The dungeon listing in the back of the FRCS would be a good place to start to give us more details on those places. :)

This is to hard for me to answer. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 01 Sep 2006 19:02:16
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  18:53:41  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
At your service dear Lady
(Wraowwh)

Now, back to your question; I would like to hear more about anything cultural and non-combat related really. Each city's hats and headgear, the poetic traditions of each culture, Philosophies, architectural style dominating etc. In short, I want it all.

The ecology could be fleshed out, so could the place of many of the npc's in society (family, children, friends etc.)Dragon Coast and The Vast should be more closely detailed to fill out their role in Faerun.

What is sorely lacking is deep lore on most of the non-human peoples. We have heard about elves and dwarves, but what do we know of, for example the bugbear? Satyrs and Korred, how do they relate to the realms and what are their thoughts?

I would want to see books on any subjects in the form of dwarves deep, but if I were to pick one single thing it would be Eds own thoughts on how the creatures of the realms, humanoid, monster, any creature that interacts on an intellectual level with the rest of the realms.

Sorry, it is difficult to narrow down my wishes for the Realms anymore than this.
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  19:36:57  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message
would love to read some lore on Halaruaa and Nimbal :) ... there is like nothing but those parts in Shining south (and thats even at a mininum for Nimbal's part) and then what ... 3-4(?) books happening around there ...

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  19:51:43  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
Sian, check this for Nimbral: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20040811a

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  19:53:40  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message
I vote Sossal...and then maybe the Utter North region, like north of Icewind Dale (like that tiny timbit of information in the MM IV about the gnolls in the Tortured Lands)

I can't think of anywhere else in the Realms where there is the least information than Sossal...there have been no novels placed there and only hints and scraps of information about these people, even though what has been given about Sossal's people it is a powerful kingdom and they have an unique and vast culture

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  00:19:15  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message
Well met

Please excuse me if this topic was already covered but ...
i would like to read some lore about the Ice Queen who destroyed Myth Ondath. About how she came in possesion of the Gatekeeper's Crystal, her fate and the fate of the lich Vrandak the Burnished. Is she somewhere around? Why was Myth Ondath attacked?

Well about the place/region ...
I think Sossal is a very good choice.

Maybe the region of the Great Ice Sea with the ruins of Winterkeep, Many-Windowed Tower and the Great Spire.

another candidate could be region north of the Tortured Lands. Some update of the informations given in the old polyhedron mags would be nice.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  01:41:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Okay Ed,

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

More about the clergy of the various temples or the high priests/priestesses that have been mentioned.
This works for me... so let me just quote it for added effect.

I'd like to see more on the various clergies... expanding on initial references in Faiths & Avatars.

quote:
As for places..... there's so many! There's temples, ruins, nations, cities.... I dunno. Maybe expand on some of the places from the volo's guides. The dungeon listing in the back of the FRCS would be a good place to start to give us more details on those places. :)
My initial thoughts here would've been for the Border Kingdoms... but you've already seen to that .

Hmmm... The Dragon Coast has always fascinated me -- not the specific cities that make it up, but the Coast in general... its history, its cultures, its growth and development. I loved the featured bits of Dragon Coast history you presented in Temptation of Elminster. That, coupled with the few bits and pieces in various 1e/2e/3e sources, while good, has left me thinking that there's still plenty more to learn.

quote:
This is to hard for me to answer. :)
Indeed.

I want to think on this a little more.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Sep 2006 01:43:37
Go to Top of Page

Kazzaroth
Learned Scribe

Finland
104 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  03:11:18  Show Profile  Visit Kazzaroth's Homepage Send Kazzaroth a Private Message
Well, I am not realmslore expert from far shot. But I think it would be 'refreshing' to get novel which main characther is something what most common folks would consider as monster or some pest eliminated. Like a goblin survivor after adventurers comed bash goblin's clan over just because the goblins lived too near to local community for it's liking. Of course more story could be involved but it would be intresting know what realmsian orc, goblin, kobold etc thinks and feels other more dominant human cultures and the heroes and adventurers.

Also I have intrest to four characthers/subjects also, which I would want appear somepoint in novel(s) more often, but then again I may be forgetting or not knowing novels where find these two inviduals making appearance. Firstly I am intrested is Shuruppak, I want learn more about him and how he becomed Gilgeam's chosen and what he today thinks and is his madness just manifestation of genious mind or just being otherwise unreasonably mad.

Second would be any novel dedicated to psion abilities possessing invidual and about 'invisible art' and would introduce some already published psionic organizations (in Skullport there is one, Everaska haves also elven psion users and also about the lost psionic civlization whcih was drowned by the sea in ancient time).

Third would be any invidual (or group) of descendants of Mystra's or (or any god's) chosen. I would be intrested to learn how person feels or thinks about to be a grandchild to examply Alustriel and what sort of life they lead (some hints are seen in Last Mythal trilogy).

Fourth would be the single vampire (actually a master vampire when seeing his stats in Splendors of Waterdeep book) resident in the Waterdeep. Bit more information about him would be nice :).

Edited by - Kazzaroth on 02 Sep 2006 12:50:47
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  03:16:54  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message
I've always felt that the Shaar (& Eastern Shaar) were underexposed. Especially the Shaar since it has a good number of settlements and geographical features. It is also close to the vital Amn/Tethyr/Calimshan - Lake of Steam - Jhaamdath/Vilhon Reach/Chondath regions. Nearby countries like Tharsult and Lapaliiya, and areas like Shaareach and the Bandit Wastes could be good places to take a good look at. Seeing as the region has so much space, there must be plenty of things there that were never mentioned. These areas could be a good follow up to the Border Kingdoms since they're right next door.

Also, Murghom and Semphar always seem to be relegated to "fringe area." They were sort of overlaid with a near east flavor, but even then they were treated as secondary in the sourcebooks they were mentioned in. Infomation about the two countries was pretty vague and uninspiring, considering the Old Empires nearby had the cool premise of "stomping grounds of god-kings."
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  06:41:23  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

love to all,
THO

Well the top of the list would have to be the Bane, Bhaal and Mykrul story and more info on Banes return would also be good.

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  07:00:37  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
Well the top of the list would have to be the Bane, Bhaal and Mykrul story and more info on Banes return would also be good.

Bane's return get another vote, that or Hesperdan (we all want to know if he's El's clone ) ! Another idea would be the Sorceress in Gray or that one who desintegrated a small island, I always forgot her name.

Edited by - Skeptic on 02 Sep 2006 07:02:02
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  10:29:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
For me, Hesperdan.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  11:14:45  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message
Good question,

Definitely Whitehorn, Myth Ondath and that whole region including the region underneath that region. Lots of interesting snippets about it that really piqued my interest..

Other than that Bell in the Depths is a site I'd like to get some info on as I have only got snippets...

And my final call for a city I'd like to see fleshed out, Mulmaster..

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000