Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  12:10:25  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message
I think it is good idea to repost my questions to Mr. Greenwood( maybe someone didnt notice them). But firstly i want to thank Mr. Greenwood for creating Realms. I want to ask some questions to Mr. Greenwood.
1.Could you say me how powerfull are(i mean how many levels they have):
Noumea Drathchuld
Alvaerele Tasundrym
Gevras Imesfor Grand Mage of Evereska
Breithel Olithir, Grand Mage of Evermeet
Shaaan the Serpent Queen
2.Could you name some High Mages and could you say how they are powerfull?
3.Will be realised some sourcebook about elves?
4.We know that Neverwinter is city of elves and half-elves. I want to ask about some elven npc. Could you name some elven npc and could you tell us how they are powerfull?
5.We know that there are many baelorns in Myth Drannor, Evereska, Evermeet and in many more places. Will be some of them stated in some new sourcebook? Could you name some baelorns? Could you say something about them? Could you say how powerfull are they or tell us something about their history? Is there baelorn who rememember times of Crown Wars?

Its all. I want to thank you one more time for creating Realms. And sorry for my englisch.

Edited by - Corran Horn on 20 Aug 2006 15:30:16
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  13:59:31  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Corran - as has been stated numerous on this thread, Ed has questions up the ya-hoo to answer (for instance, one of the ones I have pending was asked over a year ago, I think). Just stay patient and don't worry, most likely he'll get there in time.

Edit: I'm not sure, but I think it's been mentioned that Neverwinter is covered by a big CRPG-induced cloak of NDA's, though.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 20 Aug 2006 14:00:44
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  14:49:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Corran - as has been stated numerous on this thread, Ed has questions up the ya-hoo to answer (for instance, one of the ones I have pending was asked over a year ago, I think). Just stay patient and don't worry, most likely he'll get there in time.
Indeed.

Corran, Ed's time here is very limited and he can only answer a certain amount of question at a time -- some of which reach back to 2004 (I know I've still got a couple outstanding from back then ). Be patient. Ed will get to them in time.

quote:
Edit: I'm not sure, but I think it's been mentioned that Neverwinter is covered by a big CRPG-induced cloak of NDA's, though.
Aye.

Ed elaborates on this in his '05 replies.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  15:28:50  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message
Sorry, I'm bit impatient.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  16:16:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Corran Horn

Well,

You're going to have to learn to be patient then because, as many of us have said, repeatedly, Ed is busy and there's probably 100's of replies he has to answer still. Not counting working on his own novels, sourcebooks, web articles, answering the WOTC/freelancer phone calls/emails that probably come daily, etc.

So, just relax and he'll get to them sooner or later.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  18:21:46  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
In the meantime, about Corran's questions:

1. Ed doesn't consider characters in those rigid terms and only makes up levels when asked (or when they directly figure in his game). I hope someone like Shaaan never gets locked down that way.

3. Everyone involved with Wizards signs NDAs that forbid them from revealing any book that hasn't been officially announced.

2, 4, 5. Do you want to know about previously mentioned characters or only unpublished ones?
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  21:59:30  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Faraer you're being quite nice but I think that Corran needs to understand he will have to wait weeks if not months or years for a response and his question may not be answered fully even then. It's really simple as that and with 45 posts it's obvious he's well aware of that.
Greenwood is blessing us freely with lore and best form of appreciation is Patience.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  22:26:38  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Certainly, but he should also know that you're more likely to get answers if your questions are answerable and specific.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  00:57:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Well said, Faraer. And by the increasingly long and hairy arm of coincidence, Ed herewith tackles this, from Faraer: “Ed, could you describe the experience of a worship ceremony by a worshipper? (implicit question: is it a profane, essentially social ritual, or do the worshippers experience the presence and myths of the god? or is there a lot of variation?)”
Ed replies:

My recent response to Skeptic (about folk in the Realms “knowing” the gods exist, as opposed to real-world “faith”) should have largely answered you, I hope. The short answer is: there is indeed a lot of variation, from deity to deity, and culture to culture, and individual to individual. Worshippers do indeed experience manifestations, visions, dream-visions, and the “feeling of presence” of the divine when they participate in heartfelt rituals (particularly solemn temple rituals, with a lot of other faithful, and led by powerful clergy). Most folk in the Realms, even when they swear casually (“Aww, Talos take me, but ’tis hot!”) or heatedly (“Bane’s burning balls, man! D’you think I LIKE standing here taking arrows in my shield and shieldarm while you debate which fireball to hurl! Get ON with it!”) or even out of habit (“By the untasted dung of Moander!”), make such utterances believing the gods hear. They also, almost certainly, do that swearing thinking the god won’t respond to them, because they know the gods hear a lot of it, constantly, and are wise enough to know that it doesn’t “count” as much as a ritual (a ritual involving a sacrifice, or personal pain, or intense rapture or concentration or fervor, in particular) does. There are indeed ‘rote’ social observances (the priest of Talos cries, “All hail Talos! The rains we need come again!” and everyone knee-deep in mud mutters, “All hail Talos,” without much enthusiasm), but everyone understands that the Gods Hear All. And conduct themselves accordingly (usually not venerating one god above all others, but primarily worshipping one god due to their professions, or the usual situation or season).

So saith Ed the Ever-Worshipful. Or Blasphemous, if you prefer.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  01:55:53  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message
Hi Ed (and THO), I appreciate this question could probably be answered by others (any input is welcome), but I wanted to take it to the top as it were (I hope you understand why, I have no desire to take up any more of your time than necessary).

One of my players has expressed concern about Mystra's ability to strip power away from wizards. As a wizard, obviously losing this power would be disastrous to the individual.
My opinion about this is that Mystra would not do such a thing except in the most extreme of circumstances (she was directly threatened, the Weave was directly threatened, maybe the entire world). Such circumstances are generally rather unlikely to happen, to say the least. Other than that, as the Goddess of magic, why on Toril would she want to stop an individual casting spells? She allows anybody to use magic, from the lowliest apprentice, to Alustriel and Manshoon, individuals who use magic for very different ends.
I don't think any character would be possessed of this mindset, there is no evidence to suggest such a thing might happen, certainly if the character doesn't do anything deserving of such a punishment.
I have also tried to rationalise it in terms of the far more pressing problems a character may face on a daily basis - when you have orc hordes, rampaging dragons, fearsome mothers-in-law, or where the next meal is coming from to deal with, worrying that Mystra may decide to strip away your Art on a whim pales into insignificance to me. Plus, if you're worried about that, why aren't you worried about Bane striking you down or enslaving you to his will for a bit of a laugh?
Finally, in game, such a thing would be subject to the will of the DM anyway, and handing out such a punsihment would be grossly unfair unless the character did something worthy of having the power taken away, which I would say is incredibly unlikely.
Yet the player says it's the knowledge that it *could* happen, however unlikely, that is the problem to her. Could please confirm or deny my thoughts on these matters, expand on them if necessary, and share any ideas you may have on how to reassure my player?

Many thanks.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  02:04:28  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

Hi Ed (and THO), I appreciate this question could probably be answered by others (any input is welcome), but I wanted to take it to the top as it were (I hope you understand why, I have no desire to take up any more of your time than necessary).

One of my players has expressed concern about Mystra's ability to strip power away from wizards. As a wizard, obviously losing this power would be disastrous to the individual.
My opinion about this is that Mystra would not do such a thing except in the most extreme of circumstances (she was directly threatened, the Weave was directly threatened, maybe the entire world). Such circumstances are generally rather unlikely to happen, to say the least. Other than that, as the Goddess of magic, why on Toril would she want to stop an individual casting spells? She allows anybody to use magic, from the lowliest apprentice, to Alustriel and Manshoon, individuals who use magic for very different ends.
I don't think any character would be possessed of this mindset, there is no evidence to suggest such a thing might happen, certainly if the character doesn't do anything deserving of such a punishment.
I have also tried to rationalise it in terms of the far more pressing problems a character may face on a daily basis - when you have orc hordes, rampaging dragons, fearsome mothers-in-law, or where the next meal is coming from to deal with, worrying that Mystra may decide to strip away your Art on a whim pales into insignificance to me. Plus, if you're worried about that, why aren't you worried about Bane striking you down or enslaving you to his will for a bit of a laugh?
Finally, in game, such a thing would be subject to the will of the DM anyway, and handing out such a punsihment would be grossly unfair unless the character did something worthy of having the power taken away, which I would say is incredibly unlikely.
Yet the player says it's the knowledge that it *could* happen, however unlikely, that is the problem to her. Could please confirm or deny my thoughts on these matters, expand on them if necessary, and share any ideas you may have on how to reassure my player?

Many thanks.

Well you've already covered other 'equally (un)likely' alternatives which are just as bad, and that doesn't seem to have helped your player. The paranoid wizard could make an interesting character but if it's the player that has the problem then that's something else.

Page 10 of Magic of Faerun has details on Mystras refusal, and I quote "Such a punishment is normally reserved for someone who has been abusive of magic, trying to inflict great harm to magic itself (such as by intentionally creating areas of wild or dead magic), or researching spells of mass destrcution...". This should give some sort of idea of the scale of harm you would have to do to attract Mystra's attention.

Lastly you could try giving reasons that Mystra wouldn't want to cut someone off from the Weave. The first one is that it draws her attention and a small part of her power, and why should she waste power on someone who isn't a danger (and I'm extrapolating here but if she weakens herself, she weakens the Weave, as she is the Weave, and so by cutting one person off sligtly weakens all well behaved magic users across faerun). The second is that she, as Midnight, got into trouble with Ao for 'meddling'. At risk of losing her portfolio and position, she would be careful not to discriminate against anyone she just thought was being a bit naughty, they'd have to directly affect her portfolio.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  15:05:56  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Corran Horn

Well,

You're going to have to learn to be patient then because, as many of us have said, repeatedly, Ed is busy and there's probably 100's of replies he has to answer still. Not counting working on his own novels, sourcebooks, web articles, answering the WOTC/freelancer phone calls/emails that probably come daily, etc.

So, just relax and he'll get to them sooner or later.

You forgot his library-related "real job"

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  01:22:10  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hey Kuje

Did you already archive a reply from Ed on various slang terms/curses/swears within the realms. Like "hrasted" and "slarten" and such lingo and their definition?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  01:37:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hey Kuje

Did you already archive a reply from Ed on various slang terms/curses/swears within the realms. Like "hrasted" and "slarten" and such lingo and their definition?

Thanks

If Ed posted them in the last two years, then his posts should be found in the html/pdf versions. Have you looked through the table of contents/index? Do a search for curse or swear. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  02:29:02  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message
Hello Ed,

Second question from me in many years (still waiting for the first hehe) concerning geography. Maybe it has been asked and answered before so i'm sure master scribes will point me to an answer if it is so.

I wanted to know if you personaly mapped the whole planet of toril and if so, how close is it to what WotC/TSR has shown us so far. Is the rest of the planet as detailed as Faerun? are you at liberty to discuss such topics or are the NDA apply here.

Personnaly, i always had a hard time living without some very vague indications of what is out there beyond faerun. I know that Kara-Tur, Quadim and MAztica are not in your realms but i would be curious to know what, beyond Faerun, you have detailed.

Mapping is probably what i love the most about DMing and creating. Maps are what i use to spark my imagination when creating lore or adventures. Are they important to you too?

Thanks in advance

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  04:24:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes. This time I present Ed’s answers to Kaysae, re. this: “Greetings, Ed of the Greenwood!
I have lurked here for a while and I finally have a question to ask, hopefully you have an answer! First, however, I just want to say how much I appreciate the lore you impart here at Candlekeep. I've enjoyed every scroll.
Now, my query. What are the benefits of taming the Stonelands, other than stemming the tide of monsters, Zhents, and the Shadovar? Does it offer anything in the terms of resources? I mean, what incentive is there that fortifying the eastern-most fringe of the territory wouldn't accomplish?
Looking at Elminster's Ecologies and your descriptions of the Stonelands here at Candlekeep, I have to ask, is the Barony just a ruse by the Crown to get adventurer's to harass the opposing forces therein? It seems like (barring Epic magic) an impossible task. It almost seems easier and more efficient to wall off the entirety of the Stonelands and lob in barrels of smokepowder day in and day out.
Thank you again!”
Ed replies:

Kaysae, you’re very welcome! I hope you enjoy the Realms (upcoming surprises and all) for years to come!
As for the Stonelands: you’ve quite correctly identified the stemming-the-tide benefits of taming that region for the rulers of Cormyr. And, yes, the offer of a barony IS a ruse to give adventurers something useful to the kingdom (as opposed to mischief intended to line their own purses, that gives the realm headaches) to do, and of course to weaken the everpresent monsters, Zhents, and suchlike so as to minimize their raids down into “Cormyr proper.”
Yes, it IS an impossible task, given the “breakneck” terrain (endless knife-edged stone ridges, with precipitous-sided ravines between them) that prevents the building of roads and large settlements, the making of accurate maps and the movement of armies . . . and so on.
However, there ARE lots of resources in the Stonelands: veins of metal ores and gems, rare herbs and plants that are either succulently edible or that serve in the making of scents, cosmetics, drugs, and dyes, some timber (hard to get out, yes, but there nonetheless), and of course the aforementioned monster life (edible meats, eggs that have a market value, hides and other “body part” alchemical components, a market for live caged beasts, and so on, again). Not to mention large caches of well-hidden treasure (cut gems, coins, statuettes of ivory, jade, jet, and even solid sapphire, ruby, or emerald, and even magic items) stashed in various spots in the Stonelands (such as cavern strongholds that could serve ably as homes or hideouts for adventuring bands). So it’s territory worth venturing into for some adventurers, but land I’ll never expect to see truly tamed and added to “everyday rural Cormyr.”

So saith Ed, describing our old stomping grounds. Ed forgot to mention one treasure we Knights found there: an extremely angry drow priestess (of Lolth) who’d been captured by the Zhents, flogged until she was raw, tied spreadeagled between two trees, and left hanging there in the sun, day after day, to die and serve as a warning and way-marker. Some day I’ll tell the tale of our rescue of her (Torm was VERY affectionate to her), and of her response (which led to one of the weirdest adventures we ever had).
We also had some quite different fun, once: we came upon a Zhent messenger resting, with his foulwing steed grounded. We overcame him, questioned him, relieved him of his magic items and coins, tied him into his saddle, enspelled his steed - - and made it fly full-tilt into a rock pinnacle (splat). Torm called it “our improved Zhent warning and way-marker.”
love to all,
THO
P.S. Yes, of course that led to some heated moral debates within the party. Penances were arranged, apologies made, and we agreed never to do such a thing again. (By "the next time," of course, Torm had thought up something far nastier.)

Edited by - The Hooded One on 22 Aug 2006 04:26:56
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  08:29:06  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
Mr. Greenwood and THO:

Our adventuring group: "Metal Mayhem, and the small girlish iron bells" have recently relocated our Artifact-reclamation service headquarters to Waterdeep. A few queries regarding this if you please:

1. What other, rival artifact reclamators(not sure about the spelling there to be honest) will we encounter in Waterdeep? I know Bronwyn of the Harpers have lived there and had a similar enterprise, but is she stil active there?

2. What potential customers might we face? We have no current qualms about fetching artifacts, although disturbing ancient elven tombs (because we have 3 elves with us) and slaying babies to get what we want is out of the question.

3. And the last question is something rather different. In Mr. Schend`s book :"Blackstaff" (Which was excellent btw) we finally, to my utmost joy, heard a little tidbit about Halaster. Any new things you can tell us about the allmighty Halaster? What have he been up to since he helped Elminster in Hell? I was under the inpression that Mystra "relieved" him of his insanity in that particular book. Was i wrong? Lets hope the infamous veil of NDA is sweeped just a few inches to the side for this query :)

-Stig- (who closes in on the dreaded 30, as we speak )
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  08:51:30  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ed forgot to mention one treasure we Knights found there: an extremely angry drow priestess (of Lolth) who’d been captured by the Zhents, flogged until she was raw, tied spreadeagled between two trees, and left hanging there in the sun, day after day, to die and serve as a warning and way-marker. Some day I’ll tell the tale of our rescue of her (Torm was VERY affectionate to her), and of her response (which led to one of the weirdest adventures we ever had).

Can that day be Wednesday? :)

- RJ

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  19:01:01  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

Mr. Greenwood and THO:

Our adventuring group: "Metal Mayhem, and the small girlish iron bells" have recently relocated our Artifact-reclamation service headquarters to Waterdeep. A few queries regarding this if you please:

1. What other, rival artifact reclamators(not sure about the spelling there to be honest) will we encounter in Waterdeep? I know Bronwyn of the Harpers have lived there and had a similar enterprise, but is she stil active there?

2. What potential customers might we face? We have no current qualms about fetching artifacts, although disturbing ancient elven tombs (because we have 3 elves with us) and slaying babies to get what we want is out of the question.

3. And the last question is something rather different. In Mr. Schend`s book :"Blackstaff" (Which was excellent btw) we finally, to my utmost joy, heard a little tidbit about Halaster. Any new things you can tell us about the allmighty Halaster? What have he been up to since he helped Elminster in Hell? I was under the inpression that Mystra "relieved" him of his insanity in that particular book. Was i wrong? Lets hope the infamous veil of NDA is sweeped just a few inches to the side for this query :)

-Stig- (who closes in on the dreaded 30, as we speak )

I can name one who if not focused in such endeavors has his fingers in such business and that would be the Serpent. Mirt likely as well of course Khelben and his allies would keep an eye on anyone involved with collecting, procuring artifacts who is returning these to Waterdeep dependant upon the year your game is taken place in. I would like to know if indeed their are others that are not Harper/Chosen-linked.
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  16:36:34  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
quote:
I can name one who if not focused in such endeavors has his fingers in such business and that would be the Serpent. Mirt likely as well of course Khelben and his allies would keep an eye on anyone involved with collecting, procuring artifacts who is returning these to Waterdeep dependant upon the year your game is taken place in. I would like to know if indeed their are others that are not Harper/Chosen-linked.

Ah yes, good thinking Createvmind. It would make sense that both Mirt and the Serpent had interest in this buisiness. Both as employers and customers i would guess.
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  17:55:25  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
First off thanx for everything you do here at Candlekeep as I'm sure it takes up much of your time and effort. My question is simple are any of the following NPC's still alive currently in Faerun?

Aesperus: Male Human Lich
Kyristan the Dead King: Male Human Lich
Darien: Male Human
DelRoy Harpell: Male Human Wiz 23
Arconi: Male Human Wiz 30
Baden: Female Human Wiz 31
Kyllyrd: Male Half-Elf
Mellomir: Male Human Wiz 27
Nchaser: Male Human Wiz 27

Thanx for everything!
-Atlas

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

by: An Old Sage (anonymous)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  18:57:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
RevJest, that day can be Wednesday if I can get back off assignment (I'm keying this into my wirephone while skydiving - - no kidding!) in time. I'll try.
Stig, there's a heavy NDA on Halaster right now. Ed is afraid he can tell you darn near nothing, but I expect a message from him waiting for me, when I can get back to a real computer.
Guys'n'gals, NEVER chase someone when wearing an ankle-lenght evening dress. I had to hike it well above my waist!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  19:27:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Guys'n'gals, NEVER chase someone when wearing an ankle-lenght evening dress. I had to hike it well above my waist!

And the problem with that is?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  20:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
quote:

But there´s no problemn in stay quiet, only looking someone doing this, no?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  21:38:48  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Dear Master Ed and Lady THO,

What is the general attitude in the West and Central Heartlands on the issue of charity? A household falls on hard times, what would be the response of the community? To what extent have attitudes of social generosity been influenced by the churches?

Also how would people feel about outsiders to the community? For example, starving adventurers, human refugees of famine, or dwarves fleeing orcish invasion?

Much thanks!
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  23:59:29  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:

RevJest, that day can be Wednesday if I can get back off assignment (I'm keying this into my wirephone while skydiving - - no kidding!) in time. I'll try.

Just showing my enthusiasm for such a tale. Plus, it was worth a try. :)

I'll be glad to 'hear' your fine tale when time, and the gods, permit.

- RJ

Edited by - RevJest on 24 Aug 2006 00:00:08
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  04:28:34  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
quote:

Stig, there's a heavy NDA on Halaster right now. Ed is afraid he can tell you darn near nothing, but I expect a message from him waiting for me, when I can get back to a real computer.

To view through your eyes for just a day would be something Lady THO.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  15:10:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Why, THANK you, N-F!
RevJest hath cajoled, and I (belatedly) answer the call:

Ahem. Your command is my wish (in the words of masochists everywhere).
Torm and Rathan were scouting in one direction (seeking a Zhent trail we knew was somewhere near), whilst the rest of us were scouting in other directions. Rathan saw the priestess first, from a distance, but thought her to be a human who’d been tied up and then crisped with fire magic, to be a warning-marker.
Torm’s eyesight was a little better. He told Rathan that the “corpse” obviously meant a Zhent cache or hidehold was near, and (as a far-from-stealthy cleric) Rathan should get back to the rest of us, to inform and bring us hither - - whilst Torm the Professional took care of creeping around and spying.
Rathan agreed and departed. Torm went straight to the priestess, cut her down, took her to the nearest swampy ground to lave her in mud, gave her water to drink and rubbed ointment into the worst of her weals (and picked the maggots out of them), and told her that Lolth had abandoned her, allowing the Zhents to so mistreat and humiliate her, but that Eilistraee had personally commanded him to seek and find her, and “treat her as a lover.”
She received this news in bewilderment that overrode her disbelief, and rather timidly responded to his efforts to befriend her, giving her name as Aelrae and doing nothing to fight or defy him (though without spells, weak and wounded, dehydrated and only able to stay conscious for brief periods, she was hardly in a position to resist). Torm sang to her, stroked her, washed and fed her, combed out her tangled hair, and gave her sips of healing potions when she was too sleepy to be fully aware of what was going on.
By the time we found them, Aelrae and Torm were more than friends: they were lovers, inseparable and all over each other and constantly engaged in barbed, teasing conversations. That frankly made the rest of us afraid, because the two of them were developing ever-more-elaborate schemes to do damage to the Zhents running caravans through the Stonelands.
At first we sought to dissuade or stop them, but we were deep in the Stonelands, with Zhent patrols starting to look for us, and Aelrae and Torm threatened to reveal our location and plunge us all into a “last stand” battle against the Zhents if we didn’t go along with them in their planned raids. So, we went along with them, our rubber arms firmly twisted. :}
Those two started by stalking and slaying a Zhent mageling so they could get his rings and wands. Then they started stealthy night ambushes, making us play the “diversion” attackers, and in about a tenday disrupted all Zhent travel through Yellow Snake Pass. The exasperated local Zhent commander, not daring to admit to his superiors that anything more than “blundering brigands” were “annoying” Zhents in the area, tried one all-out attack, a few traps that Aelrae and Torm watched being set up and so were in no danger from at all - - and then gave up on the Pass and turned to an older, slower way the Zhents had through the Stonelands: a narrow, winding subterranean caravan route that was very narrow and hence slow (only one-way travel was possible at a time).
Aelrae and Torm promptly found two caverns where their captured arsenal of wands could trigger cave-ins, and collapsed them - - walling up a large Zhent caravan alive, trapping them in a section of passage now cut off at both ends by the fallen rock filling the two caverns. They would have to dig or blast their ways out, or die in the dark from lack of air, water, and food.
They tried, but their blasting spells only brought down more of the passage - - by which time Aelrae and Torm were at one end of the blockage, awaiting Zhent rescuers and adding them to the imprisoned by triggering more cavern-falls in their wake.
Eventually all of this drew some high-ranking Zhents to the Stonelands, to see what was amiss - - and of course the Zhents there (not wanting to be slain in torment) fed them all sorts of wild stories of various formidable foes. Aelrae and Torm happily looted and ambushed some of these higher-ups, until Manshoon himself arrived on dragonback - - whereupon Aelrae astonished Torm by kissing him farewell and stealing the dragon (revealing to him that it was her lifelong ambition, the stuff of her childhood dreams - - and that she’d fallen out of beliving all of his Eilstraee tales long ago, but stayed with him because he was so tender and clever and fun)! The last we saw of her was the gigantic black dragon winging west with her clinging to its back and Manshoon frowning at it, trying to decide what was making his steed behave so oddly; had it scented a suitable mate at last? If so, he didn’t want to do anything that might mar its mating. So he let it (and Aelrae) go.
By which time we’d gotten a weeping Torm well away from Manshoon’s spells, because Jhessail had seen and recognized Hesperdan approaching from afar, and the last thing any of us wanted was to get caught between Manshoon and the REAL power among the Zhentarim. Florin and Jhessail burned a lot of our arsenal of magics whisking all of us right out of the Stonelands and into hiding - - right in the heart of an unfolding intrigue in Westgate! THAT little plot in the end took us into one of Vangerdahast’s Purple Dragon pay caches, in a secret location in Cormyr, and Torm got over his heartbreak by wading chin-deep in gold coins, and figuring out how to shift them all back to Shadowdale (I won’t tell you how he managed it, because we might need to use a variation on his tactic someday, and if all of you start doing it the Purple Dragons and fistfuls of opportunistic Sembians will both be ready to foil us).
Years later, when Torm was depressed, Jhessail paid one of the top courtesans in Saerloon VERY well to submit to a shapechanging magic that left her looking like a scarred-by-recent-flogging drow female, and sent her in to surprise Torm for a night. In the morning, she wearily informed us that Torm had certainly surprised HER, and that she’d earned every last copper coin Jhessail had paid her.
Torm, ever the rogue, went around smiling like a contented cat for a tenday.
As I said, one of the weirder adventures we Knights have yet had.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  15:24:42  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
quote:

As I said, one of the weirder adventures we Knights have yet had.
love to all,
THO

Weirder and amazing, THO!
And I was here, thinking that my players are the only ones that came with strange plots that put my campaigns spinning like a certain tazmanian devil.

Oh, and I imagine the face of Ed DMing this...

Thanks for share this good moment with us, THO.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 24 Aug 2006 15:25:44
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  16:12:03  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Duly noted. A kilt works well though (plus, it gives you an excuse to shout abuse at people you bump into with an appallingly bad scottish accent). Oh, and I echo Wooly's question on the subject

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000