Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  06:46:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
And now it's my turn to retrieve a question from the ethers:

quote:
Originally posted by DMJutti

Hey Ed,
I was wondering if you could give more detail on Vamar the Cold...the lich who has an underwater tower in the sea of fallen stars...I am aware that he is detailed briefly in the Sea Of Fallen Stars sourcebook which include some of Elminsters Notes which suggest he has visited this lich. What are the specifics of his tower, what type of research does he prefer, what books may be in his library, and what are his motivations/goals? Thanks much!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  09:07:10  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
Just a note to Ed: I downloaded Volo's Guide to Cormyr from the Wizards site yesterday. Enjoying it immensely. I hope they let you print updated Volo's Guides in the future.

And here's an addition to my backlog of questions: What's the great mystery of Slingdyke? Why are there Harpers and badly disguised War Wizards there?

Edited by - RevJest on 14 Aug 2006 09:48:32
Go to Top of Page

Yurimai
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  00:48:03  Show Profile  Visit Yurimai's Homepage Send Yurimai a Private Message
Dear Omniscent and Ever-Patient Ed,

This is a set of questions related to the Shevarashan faith as carried out by the Elves in Aber-Toril, Faerûn. Please help; Your answers would make my day.

1) Please elaborate more on the hierarchy (if any), prevalent psychological mindset(s) (especially among the various age groups of the faith), and intercultural relations (Shevarashans to the other Elven Societies and vice versa) of the Shevarashan faith?
2) If Shevarashans are supposed to forsake love, how do they produce little Shevarashans, or is trysting seen as a strategic way to ensure numbers? Let’s face is, sullibacy rarely truly works.
3) What equivalent military standing do trained Night Hunters (Shevarashans) have in the Queen’s forces? I.E. If a conflict arose and a cell of Shevarashans were there to assist, how would it be determined who told whom to go where?
4) From what I read, they seem to employ guerrilla tactics as well as cunning traps to beat the Drow at their own game; could you elaborate on this please?
5) This last one relates to one of my own characters’ experiences so please bear with me: My character Moon Elven (Shevarashan), Neraquis was patrolling amidst the High Forest near Vhaeraunite territory when the unit was ambushed by Dark Elves. In order to give her superior time to recover she went deeper into the fray (He and She were the only remaining survivors, without inundating you with positions suffice to say it tactically made sense to do), which did save the superior’s life, but she was carried off in the confusion. Following Elaine Cunningham’s explanation of these Drow it was said she was forced into serving sexually to the imbalanced male Drow population. The question is, after being liberated from captivity, what would be the most dominant attitudes of her fellow Shevarashans tend in relation to her? (Admiration for her comradery or disdain for the shame of how she ‘served’ her captors, etc)

Edited by - Yurimai on 15 Aug 2006 01:39:55
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  02:46:51  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hi Ed. I'm part of the way through Swords of Eveningstar, and it's gotten me thinking about the life expectancy of new adventurers (as well as a greater appreciation why most people equate "fool" and "adventurer").

So, what are the chances of your average new adventurer surviving his/her first month of adventuring? Their first year? To make things somewhat simpler, I'll limit the question only to good and neutral adventuring bands (internal manuevering in evil groups I'm sure ups body count), and also to groups that didn't have much formal training before starting adventuring (no former mercenaries, or experienced cat burglars, or whatever). However, ill luck and rampant stupidity are fair game.

So yes, in effect, what I'm asking is, for every Knights of Myth Drannor who survived the first year, how many others died?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Jerryd
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  03:41:50  Show Profile  Visit Jerryd's Homepage Send Jerryd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal
Leaving the meatier questions to Ed, and assuming that you mean earls and counts, my explanation (which may not be the one Ed gives) is as follows:
Yes, you are quite right that I meant counts. For some reason I had a brain fart and typed baron everyplace I meant count!

Thanks for your explanation; it sounds good! It'll be interesting to see if Ed agrees with that or has another one he can extract from the depths of Realmslore!
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  13:34:56  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

No explicit spoilers (for the short story Necessary Sacrifices by Lisa Smedman, from the Realms of the Elves anthology), I hope... Read at your own peril.

quote:
Originally posted by Yurimai

This is a set of questions related to the Shevarashan faith as carried out by the Elves in Aber-Toril, Faerûn. Please help; Your answers would make my day.
<snip snip snip the questions!>

If you can get your hands on it, I would recommend reading the short story Necessary Sacrifices by Lisa Smedman in the Realms of the Elves anthology. It gives an interesting insight to Sheverashans.

In short, this was my impression from the story:

They are bigots. They're fantatical religious extremists. To give a real world example, they're like the KKK of the elves. They'd probably kill her, especially if she were pregnant. I feel they probably would view her with disdain/contempt for having let herself be captured in the first place, and would certianly think she should have fought to the death or suicided before allowing herself to be so used.

Whether this was the impression Ms. Smedman meant to give of the Sheverashans, I know not.

Personally, I really really didn't like the story. I came away feeling very bitter and saying to myself, "there's no way that Corellon or any other compassionate or caring elven deity would have let the story end the way it did."

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  20:20:09  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hello again Ed!

Ive been wondering about the Harper Pins, and after some help from the other scribes here, I thought I would ask you.

Is there any set size for one? Im guessing that its small, but how small exactly? Are there any protections against it being discovered from a 'pat-down', or is it up to the agent to make sure its kept very well hidden? Are there stacks of them in safe keeping somewhere, or do they only get made for when a new member is joining the Harpers? Do they even get passed down through the generations, from Harper to Harper?

Any lore you could share with us on the Pins would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by - Uzzy on 15 Aug 2006 20:22:49
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  21:11:59  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
The answer would likely be YES to all the above Harper Questions, I've read novels where pins are passed down from one Harper to another, a certain moonblade wielder comes to mind.

Pins have been stolen so yes the owner is responsible for keeping them safe, and yes a Harper pin can have additional magics placed upon it besides those it it's creation. When Ed gets done with Gencon and traveling back to Canada maybe you'll get a more elaborative answer.
Go to Top of Page

Yurimai
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  00:43:22  Show Profile  Visit Yurimai's Homepage Send Yurimai a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Heya,

No explicit spoilers (for the short story Necessary Sacrifices by Lisa Smedman, from the Realms of the Elves anthology), I hope... Read at your own peril.

quote:

<snip snip snip the questions!>

If you can get your hands on it, I would recommend reading the short story Necessary Sacrifices by Lisa Smedman in the Realms of the Elves anthology. It gives an interesting insight to Sheverashans.

In short, this was my impression from the story:

They are bigots. They're fantatical religious extremists. To give a real world example, they're like the KKK of the elves. They'd probably kill her, especially if she were pregnant. I feel they probably would view her with disdain/contempt for having let herself be captured in the first place, and would certianly think she should have fought to the death or suicided before allowing herself to be so used.

Whether this was the impression Ms. Smedman meant to give of the Sheverashans, I know not.

Personally, I really really didn't like the story. I came away feeling very bitter and saying to myself, "there's no way that Corellon or any other compassionate or caring elven deity would have let the story end the way it did."

Hence why I'm asking the Sage of the Dales. Reading the canon and 2nd Edition material leads me to beleive they're not "the KKK of Elves". Remember, Ed warns us not to look to 'real world' equivalents; the Klu Klux Klan stems from an entire range of centuries in building intracultural and social development that is entirely separate from the Realms.

From what I understand, the Shevarashans aren't "Evil" in the sense we tend to archetypically think of them. My best explanation from how we interpreted it was 'neccessary evil' or 'anti-heroes'. They perform deeds against thier Dark Elven enemies without directly calling on Dark Powers, but always for a good cause. Torturing enemies to find information that saves a village, employing poison as a tactical advantage; all of these questionable acts done "Out of Sight and Out of Mind" from the Elven community.

In this way, Corelleon sees the Shevarashans are spiritually stilled of the same allegience and within the Seldarine, but thier means towards these ends are unorthodox.

As for her "giving up", they took incapacitated her completely to take her in, and employed magics and other measures to prevent suicide. Either way she could 'give' her body or it would be 'taken'; in the end they still have her body either way. This went on for years before she was recovered.

Edited by - Yurimai on 16 Aug 2006 00:45:22
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  01:17:29  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
And remember that it's written that Sheverashans do NOT attack Drow followers of Eilistraee. I have a feeling like the short story made them out to be a little more "evil" than they really were. But that's just me.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  02:11:37  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

Hence why I'm asking the Sage of the Dales. Reading the canon and 2nd Edition material leads me to beleive they're not "the KKK of Elves". Remember, Ed warns us not to look to 'real world' equivalents; the Klu Klux Klan stems from an entire range of centuries in building intracultural and social development that is entirely separate from the Realms.

Yeah, I know. I kind of rethought this after I posted. The labeling them as KKK was a direct gut reaction to the story, I suppose.

quote:

From what I understand, the Shevarashans aren't "Evil" in the sense we tend to archetypically think of them. My best explanation from how we interpreted it was 'neccessary evil' or 'anti-heroes'. They perform deeds against thier Dark Elven enemies without directly calling on Dark Powers, but always for a good cause. Torturing enemies to find information that saves a village, employing poison as a tactical advantage; all of these questionable acts done "Out of Sight and Out of Mind" from the Elven community.

Sheverash is definitely an odd god among the elven pantheon. He preaches unrelenting hatred, which is enough for me to want to scratch out CN in Faiths and Pantheons and write in CE. GothicDan says that Shevarashans wouldn't attack Eilistraeeans, but on the basis of their actions in Ms Smedman's story, I'd say that it is only the god who wouldn't attack them (and only grudgingly). His people are so full of hatred and anger that they would kill first and pray for forgivness second.

I also don't see followers of such a faith as "anti-heroes". They're villians and bigots, plain and simple. There's no excusing what they do, and I could very easily see Sheverash himself coming under the sway of/being absorbed by Shar. (Can you tell I'm not a big fan of the "anti-hero" archetype?)

quote:

As for her "giving up", they took incapacitated her completely to take her in, and employed magics and other measures to prevent suicide. Either way she could 'give' her body or it would be 'taken'; in the end they still have her body either way. This went on for years before she was recovered.

Yep. But Shevarashans are fanatics. You can't appply reason to them, they'd say things like, "Yes, but why didn't you try to escape?" "Yes, but why didn't you kill the drow when they were in bed and naked?" "Yes, but surely you must have had a chance to kill yourself?" "Surely, after so many years under their coercion you're a spider kisser now?" "We can't trust you anymore."

And if she were pregnant, "We can't let you bring that spider kisser into the world."

Anyway, you asked Ed for the answers - I'm just as interested as you are to see what he says.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Yurimai
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  09:34:49  Show Profile  Visit Yurimai's Homepage Send Yurimai a Private Message
Oh, I didn't expect the circumstances to matter to fanatics. I just felt it best to flesh out the scenario as best I could.

Edited by - Yurimai on 16 Aug 2006 09:35:45
Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  13:06:18  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message
Hi Mr. Greenwood!
I have some questions to you.
Firstly: could you say me how powerfull are(i mean how many levels they have):
Noumea Drathchuld
Alvaerele Tasundrym
Gevras Imesfor Grand Mage of Evereska
Breithel Olithir, Grand Mage of Evermeet
Shaaan the Serpent Queen.
Secondly: Could you name some High Mages and could you say how they are powerfull?
And last question: Will be realised some sourcebook about elves?

Sorry for my englisch.

Edited by - Corran Horn on 16 Aug 2006 13:06:55
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  15:45:07  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message
I got you covered Corran Horn:

Hi Mr. Greenwood!
First, let me take this time to thank you for all you hard work you do for the realms and at Candlekeep. If I may be so abliged I would like to ask a few questions.
Firstly: The following characters are all noteworthy NPCs of higher class levels but sadly do not have any definite stats. Can you and would you (lol) please tell me what their levels and CR are?
Noumea Drathchuld
Alvaerele Tasundrym
Secondly: Furthermore, can you name some other High Mages and can you also assign to us their levels?
And last question: When will a sourcebook on elves be realized?

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

by: An Old Sage (anonymous)
Go to Top of Page

Yurimai
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  19:40:11  Show Profile  Visit Yurimai's Homepage Send Yurimai a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by atlas689

Hi Mr. Greenwood!
First, let me take this time to thank you for all you hard work you do for the realms and at Candlekeep. If I may be so abliged I would like to ask a few questions.
Firstly: The following characters are all noteworthy NPCs of higher class levels but sadly do not have any definite stats. Can you and would you (lol) please tell me what their levels and CR are?
Noumea Drathchuld
Alvaerele Tasundrym
Secondly: Furthermore, can you name some other High Mages and can you also assign to us their levels?

Nicely put. Coran is in good hands.

Edited by - Yurimai on 16 Aug 2006 19:40:39
Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  20:26:26  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by atlas689

Hi Mr. Greenwood!
Noumea Drathchuld
Alvaerele Tasundrym

Nicely put. Coran is in good hands.

Yeah, i.m happy too.
And may the force be with you.

I have also one more question to Mr. Greenwood. We know that Neverwinter is city of elves and half-elves. I want to ask about some elven npc. Could you name some elven npc and could you tell us how they are powerfull?
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  21:38:48  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
Ed may not be really comfortable assigning levels to those NPCs.. Especially so many high level ones.. In his Realms, the levels vary according to the need of the campaign, with only general power levels being noted. :)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  22:18:25  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
In case I have not said anything before, a big thank you to THO and Ed for the responses to my previous questions. And I have another to throw onto the huge pile of questions (it is like a hydra, finish off two and five more grow back!)

While reading the Volo's guide to Cormyr, specifically the notes on Barandos Hawklin, it states the clan has prospered, among other things, from adventuring and sponsoring adventurers. Could you elaborate on that last part. I see possibilities of profiting from anything political (embarassing or eliminating a political rival, though I doubt if he would do this), to making use of "monster cleared land" as areas for money making venues (inns, mines, etc), to making a trade route clear of monsters for caravans, to the ever popular taking a percentage of the loot from adventuring parties.

What does "sponsoring" entail, anyway? Paying part of charter fees, arranging material and supplies (food, rope, mounts, etc), access to special government personalities and offices that are hard to reach, and funneling good adventure opportunities to the chartered groups are obvious examples, but would it take any other forms?

I dunno, maybe I hit on all the high points

Thanks

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  00:51:58  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message
Yes but how could you utilize a NPC fully without their any clue as to their stats or even to be more specific their levels. GD you might be right that Ed feels that levels vary according to the need of the campaign, with only general power levels being noted but in this case we don't even have a guess as to their power levels.

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

by: An Old Sage (anonymous)
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  02:06:27  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Jerryd, there's a scene in Swords of Eveningstar, Ed's new novel, in which a certain queen and a certain sage converse about the granting of titles, that may help a LITTLE about your "how does which title get chosen" question.
Go to Top of Page

Tormtar
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  15:08:06  Show Profile  Visit Tormtar's Homepage Send Tormtar a Private Message
Greetings to Ed and, of course, The Hooded One. Firstly let me express my heartfelt thanks for the creation of the Realms and its continuing development. After several hours marking undergraduate essays it's often helped me relax and continues to give me endless enjoyment. Now, on to my hopeful query:

Are there any common breeds of domestic livestock (i.e. Sheep, Cattle, Oxen, Goats, etc) in the Heartlands and, if so, what characteristics do they possess? I know it’s a rather odd and seemingly trivial question but several of my gaming friends (we live in an upland farming area on the northern England/Scottish Border) and I were discussing the matter recently and couldn’t remember anything in past realmslore.
Go to Top of Page

Lawless
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  14:37:04  Show Profile  Visit Lawless's Homepage Send Lawless a Private Message
Greetings Ed, I was wondering about life of any of the wild elf tribes in Chondalwood? Significant peoples, holidays, interaction with out denizens and each other, etc. I know, such a small thing to ask, but I can't find anything of significant detail about the it that is 'current'.

Waiting to say something brilliant.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  15:12:36  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tormtar

Greetings to Ed and, of course, The Hooded One. Firstly let me express my heartfelt thanks for the creation of the Realms and its continuing development. After several hours marking undergraduate essays it's often helped me relax and continues to give me endless enjoyment. Now, on to my hopeful query:

Are there any common breeds of domestic livestock (i.e. Sheep, Cattle, Oxen, Goats, etc) in the Heartlands and, if so, what characteristics do they possess? I know it’s a rather odd and seemingly trivial question but several of my gaming friends (we live in an upland farming area on the northern England/Scottish Border) and I were discussing the matter recently and couldn’t remember anything in past realmslore.

We know that the "cattle" role in the North is held by a species called "shaggun". I think this is addressed in FR5 - The North and Races of Faerun, but it's been a while. It's never been quite clear to me if shaggun are shaggy cows raised for beef or more like buffalo.

There are 3 varieties of rothe (at least there were in 2e), which are also raised in lieu of sheep and cattle, at least by dwarves and possibly by some humans.

Other than that, we don't know much about the species you mention. Tom Costa and I did work out a bit about horses, which appeared in print in Champions of Valor.

--Eric

PS I seem to recall some discussion of sheep or goat varieties in Ed's old Polyhedron articles, but it's been a long time and I don't recall for sure.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  15:15:01  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message
Hi Ed, I have still more questions to you.
I want to ask about moonblades. How many of them is still active? How many elves wields moonblades. Could you name some wielders of moonblades?
My second question is about baelorns. We know that there are many baelorns in Myth Drannor, Evereska, Evermeet and in many more places. Will be some of them stated in some new sourcebook? Could you name some baelorns? Could you say something about them? Could you say how powerfull are they or tell us something about their history? Is there baelorn who rememember times of Crown Wars?

Sorry for my englisch.
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  17:18:44  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
quote:
originally posted by ericlboyd
We know that the "cattle" role in the North is held by a species called "shaggun". I think this is addressed in FR5 - The North and Races of Faerun, but it's been a while. It's never been quite clear to me if shaggun are shaggy cows raised for beef or more like buffalo.

There are 3 varieties of rothe (at least there were in 2e), which are also raised in lieu of sheep and cattle, at least by dwarves and possibly by some humans.

In Volo's guide to Cormyr, in the section on Eveningstar, there is a reference to sharrada as "long-horned, hardy beef cattle covered with shaggy fur. They can survive in harsher cold than humans." Page 143.

Is this what you are asking about? Shaggy haired cattle... Hippy Cows

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  16:35:57  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Corran Horn, I asked Ed about moonblades at a con a year or so ago, and he said Elaine Cunningham is THE expert on moonblades, and he defers to her in lore queries about them.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  16:57:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Corran Horn, I asked Ed about moonblades at a con a year or so ago, and he said Elaine Cunningham is THE expert on moonblades, and he defers to her in lore queries about them.

And Corran can look through the notes in my sig about moonblades. Use the index/table of contents. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  18:44:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Well, WotC has rearranged parts of their site (making it less navigable, in my opinion). But I still managed to find the 2005 Spin a Yarn!

The Lady of the Mists

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  01:47:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
So last year’s Spin is up at last, Wooly? Good to know!
Ed’s back, and wants to let Kajehase know he had a VERY good time at GenCon, and won’t soon forget five-hour (! Ed, you rogue, you! ) dinners with the lovely ladies of the Books Department and Pistachio Omelettes. He also wants scribes to know that he was delighted to meet some of you for the first time (such as creatvmind), and to see some of you again (Kuje, he did try to contact you on Sunday, and wants to e-chat with you more about your project, which he described as “superbly promising”), as well as old friends from the Realms-list (Jeff and Malcolm).
Ed is going to be punishingly busy for the next few months, and may occasionally fall silent for a few days here and there, but he hasn’t forgotten the burning need for Realmslore all who love the Realms have, and his duty is assuaging it.
Wherefore, this time Ed tackles a timely query from Realms Lorelord George Krashos: “Something that has been bugging me ever since the release of FR4 The Magister (yes, more than 15 years now - we lorelords of the Realms tend to do such things often) - is "Whisper's Rod of Transportation" linked in any way with Whisper of the Zhentarim (soon to be showcased in "Swords of Eveningstar", plug, plug)? If so, how could he make one given his lowly magical abilities as statted (not that stats count for much)?”
Ed replies:

The short answer is: no, the Whisper for whom the Rod is named, and the Whisper encountered by the Knights (and darn it, the usual Evaporating Pagecount Problem forced me to give that second Whisper VERY short shrift, along with tossing out most of the last third of the planned novel), are two different people. Both human and both wizards, but that’s where the correspondences end. For different reasons, they’re both NDA right at the moment, but three novels from now in my writing schedule (around February 2007), I should be able to draw breath long enough to start wiggling my way through the NDA forests enough to be able to tell you more of the “Whisper of the Rod.” (Gods, didn’t THAT sound like an English schoolboy flagellation story!)

So saith Ed. Who is frantically writing those novels, as usual.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  03:41:38  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
It was an honor to meet the Creator as well, hope it to be the first of many in a positive way, not a stalker.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000