Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2006 :  07:39:20  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message
I agree with GothicDan. Wow! I am just stunned. Ed has thought of everything.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2006 :  12:57:10  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hello Ed!

Another question about Lliira from me.

Ive been looking through various bits of lore about Lliira, looking for a reason as to why Lliira has two Portfolios, those of Freedom and Liberty. They certainly get mention in various Lliiran based feats, etc, but with Lliira being described often as a flighty and detached Goddess, I dont see where she has Freedom and Liberty from (except maybe having Freedom due to her dancing nature, Freedom of Movement and all that)

Basically, what im asking is this. Where is this part of Lliira coming from? Would revolutionaries/freedom fighters really worship Lliira? Because, even with Lliira having those Portfolios, I dont see it happening. Perhaps shes just neglecting those Portfolios?

Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2006 :  13:37:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Hello Ed!

Another question about Lliira from me.

Ive been looking through various bits of lore about Lliira, looking for a reason as to why Lliira has two Portfolios, those of Freedom and Liberty. They certainly get mention in various Lliiran based feats, etc, but with Lliira being described often as a flighty and detached Goddess, I dont see where she has Freedom and Liberty from (except maybe having Freedom due to her dancing nature, Freedom of Movement and all that)

Basically, what im asking is this. Where is this part of Lliira coming from? Would revolutionaries/freedom fighters really worship Lliira? Because, even with Lliira having those Portfolios, I dont see it happening. Perhaps shes just neglecting those Portfolios?

Thanks in advance.

Im not Ed

In my own campaign I made Lliira Valigan third born (Jhaamdathan God of Anarchy) daughter. After Valigan was killed by Tyr, Lliira takes over aspects of her fathers portfolios: Freedom and Liberty.

Lliira has an order of worshipers called the Abolitionists who seek to free slaves werever they found. Most Lliiran Abolitionists are far more serious and focused than other followers of Lliira

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2006 :  03:20:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
This time, Ed responds to scribe Miri - Jala’s post: “Hi Ed and Lady Tho, Hope you and loved ones are having a great summer so far. I was browsing the Candlekeep website yesterday and found the Feb 2004 Interview at Mortality Radio and I thought it was great! I've been reading lots of posts by forum members and the ones in the "So saith Ed" archives. I can see from the insatiable appetite members have for more detail on just about evverryything that they love the realms. To hear someone vocally empassioned about it, though, is so much better than just reading the posts! I learned quite a few things I hadn't known before and thanks for doing the interview. I liked your Elminster vocalizations...coool. Do you have any mp3's you'd be willing to share where you're 'playing' some of the characters you've created? Or even some short avi files? For people who've never had the opportunity to get involved in or even see what a "home Realms campaign" is like, it would be a sweet treat indeed! If not...that's okay. I still get a kick out of reading all these posts.
I might as well put in another question for myself since I'm here... Were all the Seven Sisters born with the Silver Fire already in them? At the end of The Temptation of Elminster, Mystra sends El to watch three Chosen ones, Dove (4 yrs old), Storm, and Laeral. Since Mystra says they are already Chosen, does that mean they already have the Silver Fire? If so, when were they first able to call it forth? Was it painful or scary for them? Where they able to control it right from the start, or did they have to practice to make it do what they wanted? (If this is already covered somewhere, please let me know and I'll look there.) Thanks again Ed and Lady Tho”

Miri - Jala, you’re very welcome. Gosh, was that radio interview really that long ago?
I’m afraid I don’t have any such sound files available, in any format (though ever since the switch from typewriters, I’ve always used Macs capable of generating them, to write everything for the Realms on: I’ve honestly just been too busy writing to ever learn to use them), though that’s a very good idea, and I’ll pass it along to Wizards - - who would have to approve any such Realms-related release of them (yes, even if free and informal). I have participated in a promotional DVD for Tracy and Laura’s BRONZE CANTICLES, and there are aging cassette tapes of some moments of Realmsplay with the “original cast” of players and yours truly nattering away, silly Monty Python and Goon Show homage moments and all . . . but nothing I could lay hands on for public distribution. Sorry.
Yes, the Seven Sisters were all born with the Silver Fire already in them. However, as infants, they didn’t know that they did, or really what Silver Fire was, or HOW to “call it forth” from themselves.
That knowledge only came later, allowed by Mystra only after Elminster’s tutoring (or in the case of some of the Seven, some alterative hard life experience) had taught them some ethics, morals, and ways of the world. Some of this learning (with the Sisters involved being “teenaged handfuls”) is shown in my short story “Dark Talons Forbear Thee,” which appeared in THE BEST OF THE REALMS BOOK II: THE STORIES OF ED GREENWOOD, a WotC mass market paperback published in July 2005 (ISBN 0-7869-3760-2 or, in the new “long” ISBNs: 978-0-7869-3760-8). The right answer to “when were they first able to call it forth?” is different (in terms of age) for each of them, because it’s either “When Mystra deemed it needful to their immediate survival” or “When Mystra thought they were ready for it.” If the former, it burst out, quite possibly painful and scary. If the latter, Mystra “paved the way” with dream-visions (moral lessons, demonstrations of its use, and the inner feeling of how to call it up and what it feels like to unleash it) beforehand.
And like anything else of great power, precision and control of its effects needs practice. Picture a loaded submachine gun in the hands of a grandmother who’s never handled a firearm before. She “knows what to do” (pull the trigger) by watching media or reading, but may end up spraying a lot of things with bullets before she gets anywhere near hitting anything she’s intending to shoot (being a little scared, unfamiliar with “pull” or recoil, and so on). And that’s just the destructive “searing flame” of silver fire. Using it to mend broken things, heal, purge taints, power things (as seen in my tale “Tears So White” in the still-in-print anthology REALMS OF THE ELVES), or duplicate spells; these are all much more delicate tasks that must be learned and practiced.
Some day I’d like to write some fiction scenes that delve into this a bit more, but thus far there seems to have been far too much interest or emphasis placed on the ‘peerless destruction’ side of silver fire for gamers and game designers to really pay much attention to what else it can do.

So saith Ed. The creator who will never have enough time to fully explore his creation.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 09 Jul 2006 03:21:58
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2006 :  05:04:46  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage  Send atlas689 an AOL message Send atlas689 a Private Message
Dear THO and Ed,
It is stated many times in the realms that alchemy is the only art that is yet not fully discovered, does Ed have any plans of having this art being finally discovered as it would change much in the Realms, also to what extent has the art been developed as from my understanding very little has been discovered, Sweet water and light laughter till next we meet!
-Atlas

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

by: An Old Sage (anonymous)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2006 :  00:45:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ulitharid recently posted: “As the game has progressed, new systems have been added without what would appear to be too much fuss in regards to implementing them into standard realmsore (at least imo, though yours might be quite different). However, and this might be a redundent/already asked question, but what about Incarnum and Truespeak in relation to traditional "magics" i.e psionics/magic.
At least to me, they seem to be unique enough mechanically and fluffwise to bypass the current implementation of magic systems in the realms (i.e tapping into the weave/shadow weave) in that truespeak are the primal words of creation, such that a weave of some sorts is completely unnecessary, and one's potential mastery of the multiverse through truespeak is limited only by the potential of the individual in question, as opposed to divine interventia via portfolios.
i also feel the same way about incarnum, in that, while power-from-the-soul is itself not a new idea, the concept behind incarnum and harnessing the essence of souls seems so out of the box, as to be a sin to chain it to the standard boundries of typical magic/deific patronage.
so, i guess to move onto a more specific question rather than detailing my thoughts... how would you handle implementing incarnum/truespeak into the realms(if at all), and what would be the corresponding lore that you'd put behind the "new" systems?”
Ed replies:

You’re entirely correct: magic (as in: harnessing natural forces to bring about specific and immediate effects) doesn’t need the Weave or (specific) deities. There are indeed “many other roads” to tapping these powers; incarnum and truespeak can be used alongside (in addition to) the more familiar and popular spell systems. Kuje correctly pointed out true names have been part of the Realms since its beginnings (before the D&D game), and therefore it follows that truespeak (using the same concept of “words of power” that also, thanks to the Vancian magic system the D&D game spell system is based on, is there from the first in D&D) must work in the Realms.
That doesn’t mean that DMs must use it, or must agree with all of (and only) the rules presented in the recent Tome of Magic: like everything else in D&D, everyone is constantly tinkering with rules and approaches.
However, as of right now, the arcane and divine spell systems predominate in Faerûn: a typical travelling character will encounter relatively many clergy and wizards, fewer sorcerers and psionically-gifted beings - - and users of other systems of magic (such as incarnum and truespeak, or table magic for that matter) will be far rarer.
I love using mavericks, as my players will tell you, because the moment “the unknown” pops up, roleplaying must increase.

So saith Ed, Auld Sage Extraordinaire.
(Well, ’tisn’t the worst thing he’s been called.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

varyar
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  00:25:01  Show Profile Send varyar a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I'm curious if the elves have any particular names for the Outer Planes, and in general what their view of extraplanar affairs (the Blood War, Cyric's shenanigans, etc) might be compared to a human perspective (if there is 'a' human perspective). Many thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  00:45:09  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
I'm back with one of my weird questions but I've really been thinking over ships and ports and the like lately, which is why I asked about that Spelljammer reference.

However, I'm wondering if Ed could supply any details on light houses? I know that's a bit of a vague question so let's see if I can narrow it down a bit. How do elven light houses, in places that elves have ports, Evermeet most likely, differ then human light houses? Are there any magical light houses, I figured that there might be. How do the different light houses on the ports of the Sword Coast differ from those that could be found on the ports of the Sea of Fallen Stars. Maybe give us some details on the different light houses found in a few of those ports? Any details about any light houses that can be found among Spelljamming ports that are in Wildspace and on the planets.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 11 Jul 2006 00:46:19
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  03:14:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, everybody. Ed recently replied here to a query about a peninsular name, saying in part: “It’s true that in the latest (3rd edition) projection maps of Faerûn the region wherein the Vast and Impiltur are located LOOKS somewhat like a peninsula ...” and RevJest responded: “I wonder how the Northmen feel about the island of Gunderlun disappearing from the face of Faerun.”
Ed now responds in turn:

Very down in the depths, I’d say . . .
Ahem. Seriously, I’d say the isle in question (about which I provided some lore on page 20 of the 2005 vintage of this thread here at Candlekeep) is just “off the map” (to the west) because of its projection, or perhaps just omitted by cartographers oversimplifying, rather than truly vanishing in any physical sense. Er, I hope. I would NOT want to have to design, in a balanced 3.5e sense, the spell that could “vanish” such a large landmass without anyone noticing (or not causing tidal waves, current alterations, and the like).

So saith Ed, sounding somewhat like Slartibartfast.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  03:14:31  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I'm back with one of my weird questions but I've really been thinking over ships and ports and the like lately, which is why I asked about that Spelljammer reference.

However, I'm wondering if Ed could supply any details on light houses? I know that's a bit of a vague question so let's see if I can narrow it down a bit. How do elven light houses, in places that elves have ports, Evermeet most likely, differ then human light houses? Are there any magical light houses, I figured that there might be. How do the different light houses on the ports of the Sword Coast differ from those that could be found on the ports of the Sea of Fallen Stars. Maybe give us some details on the different light houses found in a few of those ports? Any details about any light houses that can be found among Spelljamming ports that are in Wildspace and on the planets.....

Theres a lighthouse detailed in F&P called the Darkhouse of Saerloon

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  03:24:46  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

love to all,
THO

In case people don't get the reference, it's from the Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy novels by the late Douglas Adams. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 11 Jul 2006 03:27:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29638 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  03:59:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

love to all,
THO

In case people don't get the reference, it's from the Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy novels by the late Douglas Adams. :)

And he was also in the movie of the same name. That actor, Bill Nighy, also played in several other movies, including Shaun of the Dead and this weekend's box office king, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (as Davy Jones).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  04:03:01  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage  Send atlas689 an AOL message Send atlas689 a Private Message
Dear THO and Ed,

When wizards study there spellbook, does the page they are studying for a spell have the words for the spell and hand movements for the spell that are needed to be performed in order to cast the spell or does the spell have a description of the spell, maybe how the spell was made, the "equations" behind it, and if so does each spell when memorized (this would be if the latter were true) do the movements and the words to the spell come naturally to you when you have studied the page or do you also have to no before hand what movements and words are needed to cast the spell?
-Atlas

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

by: An Old Sage (anonymous)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  05:47:32  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Definitely appropriate .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  17:06:54  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage  Send GothicDan an AOL message  Send GothicDan an ICQ Message  Click to see GothicDan's MSN Messenger address  Send GothicDan a Yahoo! Message Send GothicDan a Private Message
Ah, if only the 3.5 Epic Spellcasting system took into account the kind of things that would happen when you cast that Raise Island spell or the reverse... ;)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  17:53:25  Show Profile  Click to see Foxhelm's MSN Messenger address  Send Foxhelm a Yahoo! Message Send Foxhelm a Private Message
A few things to share...

One: I have a question for The Hooded One. I ask it here because I know that she reads this thread and that Ed and his fans might like the answer to my question.

The Hooded One, which one of the Seven Sisters are you most like?
I am curious about which one you feel a kinship with.

Two: The Naughty Thought of the Day

Perform checks are needed for Bardic 'Music' abilities, but any performance will do. Including dancing. So basically, a bard could do a striptease to inspire courage, competence, greatness or various suggestions/mass suggestions.

Think about that!

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  00:29:01  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Who would Trolls worship in Faerun, say trolls that feel they have a right to their domain and seek divine help in not being wiped out, basically a clan/s of trolls who have gone from predator to prey?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4711 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  01:08:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
You have to remember that creatures and people can worship just about any deity, but not identify that deity in a way that is easily recognisable to outsiders. What I mean by that is that you could pick any Faerûnian deity for your trolls and have them worship it, but the trolls in question know the deity as "Argrak the Saviour" or somesuch. Hence they could be worshipping Ilmater or Torm or Helm or Chauntea or basically anyone who responds to their plea for divine aid. So pick the deity that suits (personally, I think that Ilmater, Silvanus or a nicer aspect of Malar would suit) and use it - just don't call it by it's "normal" name. Also, the book "Prayers From the Faithful" gives alternate names in the Realms for some deities, including Silvanus. If the deity you choose has alternate names, perhaps use one of them. That way, in game, anyone who meets these trolls and makes a Knowledge (religion) check with an appropriate DC can work out that these aren't your run of the mill, Vaprak-worshipping, flesh-rending trolls. Unless of course they are your run of the mill flesh-rending trolls who simply worship a different deity.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  03:08:49  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thank you Mr. Krashos

Confusion came about when browsing Deites and Demigods, I assumed though that through oral tradition of said tribe of Trolls thats how the Deity is worshipped or whatever is posing as the deity.
Now I need to know how long a child troll takes to mature and whether female trolls bear enough physical difference form male trolls to be noticeable to the eye. With all the lumps and bumps do breast stand out, do trolls even need breast milk forfeeding infant trolls or is it straight to meat?

Edited by - createvmind on 12 Jul 2006 03:09:57
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  03:19:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again. This time Ed tackles Dargoth’s query: “What’s the relationship like between Auril, Thrym, Kostchtchie (Demon Lord of Frost Giants) and Zzutam (The wanabe Elemental god from Prince of Lies) in the FR? Does Kostchtchie exist in the Forgotten realms? Or does Thyrm take his place in the Realms? (ie the same way Ghaunadaur has taken Jubliex place in the realms)?”
Ed replies:

Worship of all the deities you mention takes place in the Realms, because creatures from many planes and worlds have found their way to Toril by various means. However, veneration of Kostchtchie in Faerûn strengthens Thrym, master of frost giants (unless a Faerûnian mortal has the power to summon Kostchtchie, a Demon Lord, and does so, but in doing so has the carelessness or ignorance to bring Kostchtchie to the Realms uncontrolled - - whereupon Kostchtchie would gain power from worship, but also attract the attention and enmity of Thrym and other Faerûnian giant deities, who would move to harm, hamper, and banish him).
So between Thrym and Kostchtchie: hatred; they are rivals. (But very little contact.)
As for the relationships between Auril and Thrym: they have very little to do with each other, as Auril concerns herself foremost with frost, cold, snow, and winter, and their effects on humans (and to a lesser extent other races), and Thrym concerns himself with frost giants. They largely ignore each other; Auril doesn’t mess with frost giants and Thrym pays attention only to frost giants.
As for the relationship of either of them with Zzutam: none (at least, no more than any deity pays heed to ambitious mortals). PRINCE OF LIES uses unreliable narrators, remember, and therefore not everything stated or implied in its pages is true.
Frost giants in the Realms, like humans, are both intelligent and spiritual: everyone “believes” in the gods, remember, having to take nothing on faith except the “true nature” of specific deities, and therefore whom they should worship. Frost giants can worship any deity they hear of, but are likely to worship only relevant deities (a drow divinity of fire, for example, would be largely meaningless to them) - - and in the Realms, Thrym is by far the most relevant. Ergo . . .

So saith Ed. Underscoring once again that the Realms is polytheistic, not monotheistic; most intelligent Faerûnian beings don’t worship just one god, and outside of professional clergy and zealots, only a minority of them even have “patron deities” (primary gods they worship before or above all others).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  03:22:06  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage  Send GothicDan an AOL message  Send GothicDan an ICQ Message  Click to see GothicDan's MSN Messenger address  Send GothicDan a Yahoo! Message Send GothicDan a Private Message
quote:
So saith Ed. Underscoring once again that the Realms is polytheistic, not monotheistic; most intelligent Faerûnian beings don’t worship just one god, and outside of professional clergy and zealots, only a minority of them even have “patron deities” (primary gods they worship before or above all others).

Thank you so much.

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  03:30:15  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Thank you Mr. Krashos

Confusion came about when browsing Deites and Demigods, I assumed though that through oral tradition of said tribe of Trolls thats how the Deity is worshipped or whatever is posing as the deity.
Now I need to know how long a child troll takes to mature and whether female trolls bear enough physical difference form male trolls to be noticeable to the eye. With all the lumps and bumps do breast stand out, do trolls even need breast milk forfeeding infant trolls or is it straight to meat?

I'm sure troll mommies just tear off an arm and give it to the troll baby to eat.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  03:43:21  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage  Send GothicDan an AOL message  Send GothicDan an ICQ Message  Click to see GothicDan's MSN Messenger address  Send GothicDan a Yahoo! Message Send GothicDan a Private Message
Or let the babies eat each other... But not too much.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  03:52:52  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Ah, if only the 3.5 Epic Spellcasting system took into account the kind of things that would happen when you cast that Raise Island spell or the reverse... ;)
That would be the DM's job. Always has been.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  04:00:01  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage  Send GothicDan an AOL message  Send GothicDan an ICQ Message  Click to see GothicDan's MSN Messenger address  Send GothicDan a Yahoo! Message Send GothicDan a Private Message
Never hurts when the books support the DM, though.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000