Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  02:18:48  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hello Ed and The Hooded One. :)

Thank you for all the Realmslore youve put up here over all the years. Certainly kept me up late at nights just reading through it.

Anyway, my question is about the Scarlet Mummers, the Lliiran Militant Order of Assassins.

Im playing a Lliiran Character right now (Bard/Fighter) who definatly seems to be leaning towards a more 'militant' bent. So, I started looking for information about the Scarlet Mummers. But, there doesnt seem to be any at all, other then the mention in Faiths and Pantheons and, of all things, a brief mention in Neverwinter Nights!

So, essentially, if you could help at all with things like their organisation, how they are viewed by the rest of the Lliiran church, or anything, it would be a huge help.

Thanks in advance. :)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  03:06:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed’s parade of Realmslore replies continues, to whit: back in January, createvmind posted this: “Hello again, Sir Ed.
My query regards the powers of the Wierdstone from "Players Guide to Faerun" that nullifies dimensional travel and such. Does it also prevent someone within it's radius from using summoning spells since that is a form of "instantaneous" travel? And do spells like Rope trick and such function within it's radius, does that count as traveling since you are entering a "pocket" of space while within the wierdstones radius?
Basically whats your take on what it can and can't do in regards to such traveling spells and spell-like, supernatural abilities?
Thanks”
Ed replies:

Hi! Glad you said “my take,” because that’s just what this reply is; my opinion.
I’d say a Weirdstone does block summonings (to any spot within the stone’s area of effect - - and yes, that includes a devil using its ability, not just a wizard trying a spell) from functioning, and prevents spells from opening rifts or ways into other dimensions.
However, an active Weirdstone can’t prevent items (e.g. portable holes, existing portals) that open rifts or ways into other dimensions from functioning if access to them is purely physical (e.g. don’t require words of activation).
In fact, the opening of too many such dimensional accesses within the stone’s area of effect, particularly very close to the Weirdstone, would have a good chance of shattering the stone OR sucking it through the “way” and then flinging it somewhere random through the dimensions during transit of the way (rather than just lobbing it through the opening to “the other end” of the rift or way) OR deactivating the Weirdstone (causing it to stop functioning and stunning or even striking unconscious its activator).
The same results MAY be possible to achieve through simultaneous castings of five or more spells that attempt to open rifts or ways, but I wouldn’t want to be one of the mages trying the experiment. :}

So saith Ed. Exhibiting the veteran DM’s habit of trying to put limits and heels of Achilles on everything.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Scarabeus
Acolyte

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  03:35:49  Show Profile  Visit Scarabeus's Homepage Send Scarabeus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Yup. And though I don't remember where it was, I do seem to recall seeing a 1E write-up of El that including psionics.

The first time I remember seeing Elminster's psionic abilities was in FR7 Hall of Heroes.

- Scarabeus
Go to Top of Page

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  14:47:01  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message
[waves to Ed o' the Greenwood and the dear Hooded One!]

Quick vocabulary question for the Bearded Bard: what are the Faerûnian equivalents for the word-concept 'Reaver'? I'd imagine that there are all manner of words for bandits and marauders, of course - including quite a few that probably don't bear repetition in polite company - but I'd like words/phrases which convey a real sense of dread and an impression of truly bestial, over-the-top brutal savagery. An especial focus on Chondathan, elven, and Damaran terms would be nice, but you're probably a little too overloaded to be so specific, so anything you can throw my way would be appreciated.

Thanks muchly.

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerûn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerûn, Player's Guide to Faerûn, Power of Faerûn, Races of Faerûn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

Anticlion Son of Semnion
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  19:25:22  Show Profile  Visit Anticlion Son of Semnion's Homepage Send Anticlion Son of Semnion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Anticlion Son of Semnion
My question concerns a strange creature detailed in MM2: The Hellfire Wyrm. These beasts are described as "draconic agents of the Nine Hells of Baator that live amongst the humanoid races of the Prime Material Plane." Though I am fully aware that MM2 is not a Realms-specific product, I am nevertheless curious enough to ask whether there are such dragons in Faerun. Are there any other types of fiendish dragons in the Realms (i.e. dragons devilish, dragons demonic, dragons...yugolothic)? These questions may indeed be answered in the forthcoming DRAGONS OF FAERUN. If so, then please feel free to swat my inquiries away.

There are certainly fiendish dragons (i.e. true dragons with the fiendish template) living in the Realms. Dragons of Faerun touches on several of them of particular import.

The official planar dragons (detailed in the Draconomicon) can also be placed in the planar cosmology of the Realms. There's a small table in Dragons of Faerun that might be of interest touching on this topic. Dragon magazine has recently introduced quite a few planar dragons and these two can be set in the cosmology of the Realms if you so choose.

I doubt many of those planar dragons actually live in the Realms proper, with the notable exception of shadow dragons, although there are certainly individuals who do.

As for hellfire wyrms in particular, we know of no specific hellfire wyrms acting in the Realms, but I'm certain there are at least a few. I contemplated putting one in the Realms in a recent project I worked on, but decided against it due to the high CR. In fact, the high CR is so problematic that you're unlikely to see a hellfire wyrm in a Realms product, in my estimation. That said, I would certainly encourage DMs playing at that exalted level to consider doing so. One thought that comes to mind is that the church of Gargauth might be secretly ruled by a triumvirate of hellfire wyrms in the service of the Outcast. Alternatively, one might give Malkizid (Champions of Ruins) a hellfire wyrm steed (presumably a fellow exile).

--Eric

Thank you for your detailed reply, Mr. Boyd. The information is very much appreciated.

"It is well known that, while reason embraces a cold mediocrity, our passions hurry us, with rapid violence, over the space which lies between the most opposite extremes." -Edward Gibbon
Go to Top of Page

Quinton
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  23:28:14  Show Profile  Visit Quinton's Homepage Send Quinton a Private Message
Thank you Ed and Lady Hooded for all of this wonderful realmslore, I've spent the better part of the past two months wading through the archive from the past years and I've just been amazed at how much time you devote to all the fans of the realms.

I hadn't been much of a realms fan before now, always viewing it as "too much magic" and "too black/white", yet my players requested we start a campaign in it since they had been reading some realms novels, so I decided to read into it more myself. After reading all the realmslore you've offered over the years here at Candlekeep I'm hooked

Wizards should really pay you for this stuff, because it's great advertising, I've spent over a hundred dollars on realms books in the past month, and I'm now getting set up for another campaign I'm going to be running in the Realms as well. Which brings me to my question which will hopefully be a small one.

The FR campaign book mentions that in Hillsfar non-humans are forbidden from entering the city and will often find themselves thrown in the arena if they are found within (paraphrasing, I don't have the book in front of me right now). How prevalent is this racism? Do demi-humans manage to live in Hillsfar despite this (perhaps in close knit communities away from the eyes of the Red Plumes)?

I'm also curious to know more about Maalthiir, although obviously quite a bit can be drawn from the fact he supports the above treatment of demi-humans. Still the fact that he's of neutral alignment rather than some form of evil, makes me wonder if he's really the source of the racism or if he's just supporting the status quo. Plenty of good aligned people are quick to attack orcs and drow without provocation so alignment doesn't necessarily equate racial tolerance, but this only makes me more curious what Hillsfar's reasons are for this attitude.

If this has been mentioned anywhere before I apologize, and if any of the other sages here could point me towards good resources for Hillsfar and the rest of the Moonsea area I would be most appreciative.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  23:39:16  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Quinton,

Ed might not be able to discuss that because it's probably under NDA due to Richard Baker's Last Mythal trilogy of novels. :)

The leader of Hillsfar appears in that trilogy and some of the scenes take place in Hillsfar.

However, Ed might be able to answer those but I'm just offering the warning so you are prepared for the NDA hammer. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  02:08:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, scribes.
Quinton, I suspect Kuje is right in his NDA warning - - but I’ll pass your post straight on to Ed and we’ll see.
Now, for tonight’s Realmslore . . .
Back in December (er, 2005), butterflyght posted in reference to this lore reply (snippet only): “Vangerdahast is BOTH "Chairman Emperius of the College of War Wizards" AND "Chairman Emeritus of the College of War Wizards."”
butterflyght asked: “What about now [ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER spoiler snipped by me, THO]: “Is he, even now, a holder of all those titles?”
Ed replies:

Yes. As mentioned in the Realmslore reply you reference, Vangey has a habit of never relinquishing titles. It remains to be seen how “empty” those titles now become, but it seems very likely that he’ll be out of contact and so the War Wizards will simply create - - at Caladnei’s direction - - either an “Acting Chair Emeritus” or a Council De Facto in Governance of the College of War Wizards.” Thge “Chairman Emperius” title will reside with Vangey, but simply become a fast-forgotten phrase, neither used nor heeded by War Wizards in the future.
Unless, of course, Vangey decides to “step back in” to a more active role. THIS is the true ace he stuffed up Cormyr’s sleeve, IF word gets around. Sembian and other, more shadowy interests might think twice about moving to control the Forest Kingdom, openly or covertly, if they believe the result might be a flight of calm, striking-to-slay dragons in their laps at any unguarded moment. And oh yes: it should be clear to all that, for whatever unknown reasons (probably having to do with the spells set up around Cormyr by the elves and dragons so long ago, and augmented and modified by the various guiding mages of Cormyr, including of course Vangerdahast himself), none of the dragons surviving at the end of ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER are affected by the Rage.

So saith Ed. I know a LITTLE of what he’s planning for Cormyr’s immediate future, but NDAs shackle me as coldly and firmly as they do him.
I just enjoy the restraints a bit more.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  03:16:30  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Dear Ed,

As I understand it, the Realms were created by you virtually full-cloth prior to becoming TSR's flagship setting. What motivated you to create such an immense, detailed gaming world for you and your gaming group?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  03:38:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed has touched on this subject many times before in his replies Rod. I would suggest you run a search through the compiled replies -- specifically the '04, '05 and more recently the '06 replies -- and see what Ed has previously said about his experiences with creating the Realms and the processes involved.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  03:48:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ed has touched on this subject many times before in his replies Rod. I would suggest you run a search through the compiled replies -- specifically the '04, '05 and more recently the '06 replies -- and see what Ed has previously said about his experiences with creating the Realms and the processes involved.

And if you don't want to dig through Ed's threads, you could use my index and HTML/PDF files that are in the link in my sig. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  04:23:42  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Yes. As mentioned in the Realmslore reply you reference, Vangey has a habit of never relinquishing titles. It remains to be seen how “empty” those titles now become, but it seems very likely that he’ll be out of contact and so the War Wizards will simply create - - at Caladnei’s direction - - either an “Acting Chair Emeritus” or a Council De Facto in Governance of the College of War Wizards.” The “Chairman Emperius” title will reside with Vangey, but simply become a fast-forgotten phrase, neither used nor heeded by War Wizards in the future.
Unless, of course, Vangey decides to “step back in” to a more active role. THIS is the true ace he stuffed up Cormyr’s sleeve, IF word gets around. <snip>
I think Vangy is just waiting to sire a real "dahast" wizard and to train him to be at the head of Cormyr, err, to serve as an advisor to Azoun V. Right now he's in the woods laughing and looking at all the girls playing "Who's the Leader of Cormyr Anyway?"

<ducking as all the females on this thread starts chucking vegetables at the Knight in Purple... >
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  04:30:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
THO,

I sent you a message, could you please respond, when you can. :)

My thanks.

Edited by - Kuje on 26 Apr 2006 04:31:12
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  05:41:49  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
-Hey, Ed, I've got a topic that could use a little illumination:

-Could you share with us some Elven folksongs? Titles, lyric, translations- whatever you have would be appreciated.

-That would sure make my day...I thank you in advance, O Might Realms Master!

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  19:28:25  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thank you for that response on the Wierdstone, including the possible limitations of it's power which indeed do seem can be a bit much.

Thank you again.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  21:01:19  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Thanks much, Sage, Kuje.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  21:06:52  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Dear Ed and Hooded One,

Do the gods believe in fate and destiny? Or do they believe they "write their own book", so to speak?
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2006 :  23:47:37  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Dear Ed and Hooded One,

Do the gods believe in fate and destiny? Or do they believe they "write their own book", so to speak?

Tymora certainly would :)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  00:08:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, scribes. Dargoth asked this: “A question for Ed with regard to adding "Planar or Draconic Blood to a mortal:” I was wondering if Ed could detail any spells/Rituals that would allow a mortal Character/NPC to add the Half Dragon/fiend/elemental/celestial etc templates without being born with them.
There are several FR NPCs that have gained these templates without being born with the templates.
Vargo Kent from CoR gained the half Black Dragon template
Sun Elves from the Daemonfey gained the Half Fiend Template
A certain character from a recent FR novel has likely gained the Half Celestial template.
Thanks in advance!”
Ed speaks:

Potentially, yes. The problem is that anyone knowing such a ritual would keep it VERY secret, so any characters desiring to gain such traits (the characters don’t know of or call them “templates,” remember) are going to have to experiment on themselves or others, at great risk (from the others they experiment on, if from no one else!). Most mage’s guilds would outlaw such attempts as too darned dangerous (in terms of the attention and potential enemies it would bring), and the experimenter is going to have to literally introduce the blood desired (procured from a presumably unwilling dragon, fiend, or celestial!) into their own or an experimental subject’s body, somehow (magically) keep them alive as their body reacts to the blood (which poisons most bodies if injected or ingested, as opposed to being born with it), and then begin a series of (unknown, experimental) spells that cause the host body to alter in properties to the desired traits.
In short, it’s a life’s work for PCs, if the DM handles it properly, and if the DM presents NPC casters who have already mastered the process, or do so “in front of” the PCs’ eyes, tell me this: why would such NPC casters share what they’ve learned, or agree to “do it to” someone else? Won’t they try to hitch some magical control into the someone else, so at the very least they can stop the augmented being from turning and slaying them to “keep the secret”? Won’t we be dealing with obsessed “mad scientist” characters here, who might well try to create an army of servitor augmented beings? (?)
Or to put it more succinctly: Have fun. :}

Chuckle. That’s my Ed. So saith he, and all that.
Keep us posted, Dargoth!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Never
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  02:57:34  Show Profile  Visit Never's Homepage Send Never a Private Message
I have a few queries for Mr. Greenwood.

The first is about non-slave, possibly lethal pit fighting. How popular, and legal, is it in the Realms? Are there any well-known circuits or venues? How much would a prize purse usually be for small locales (such as the basement of an alehouse), middle size locales, and the largest ones (such as a large arena in a metropolis)?

The second is military foodstuffs. What would the average meals of an infantry conscript consist of?

Thank you for your time and answers.

I'm so, so very guilty for no reason or rhyme;
Infinite victims, infinitesimal time.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  03:32:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Hmmm... I wonder if Velsaert has been up to something like that?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  07:10:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hiya Ed,

I was wondering if you could expand on the reference to the use of numerology in the Tashalar entry in the FRCS.

What do they use? Dates/months/years? Their names? Both?

How do they do readings?

Um. I'll leave you to expand on that because I'm kinda surprised to see a reference to that as a divination tool. :)

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  21:49:16  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

[quote]Originally posted by The Hooded One
[br(snip)

I think Vangy is just waiting to sire a real "dahast" wizard and to train him to be at the head of Cormyr, err, to serve as an advisor to Azoun V.
(snip)

I think that I can ask a question which won't lead to an NDA non-answer: "how is 'Vangy' pronounced"? I probounce it as if the first syllable rhymes with "fang" and the "y" is a long "ee" sound. Correct? Or not?

(Apropos of the Purple Dragon Knight's post, I have to say that one of the coolest moments in Cormyr: a Novel is the one it which it dawns upon the reader the what's-what and who's-whom and who-was-whom of "dahast".)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  22:29:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I think that I can ask a question which won't lead to an NDA non-answer: "how is 'Vangy' pronounced"? I probounce it as if the first syllable rhymes with "fang" and the "y" is a long "ee" sound. Correct? Or not?

(Apropos of the Purple Dragon Knight's post, I have to say that one of the coolest moments in Cormyr: a Novel is the one it which it dawns upon the reader the what's-what and who's-whom and who-was-whom of "dahast".)

(VAN-jer-dah-hast) according to the 1e campaign box set. A lot of others were given pronouncation in the 1e and 2e campaign box sets. Of course, for some odd reason, the 2e box campaign box set changed some of those pronouncations. I'm still confused on why that happened. :)

Those NPC's that have such pronouncations can be found in my Excel file or the HTML's that I'm still working on. See the sig. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 27 Apr 2006 22:30:43
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  23:42:35  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Indeed Jamallo, indeed!
Hmm... yes... indeed!
Hmm... of course!
(psst! mind refreshing my memory on that cool moment? does it have to do with a certain red-haired gent who happens to befriend the elves of the Wolf Woods?)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2006 :  02:20:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all! Ed apologizes for taking so long to get to this simple question from Jamallo Kreen: “I have a question regarding the Herald class in PoF: what are their class skills?”
Because, errata or not, this “counts” as unpublished-but-paid-for Realmslore owned by Wotc, Ed had to get permission from Wizards to quote from his turnover manuscript. It’s been duly granted, so here’s the skinny:

“CLASS SKILLS
Skill Points at Each Level: 4+Int modifier
The herald’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are:
Bluff (Cha)
Concentration (Con)
Decipher Script (Int)
Diplomacy (Cha)
Forgery (Int)
Gather Information (Cha)
Intimidate (Cha)
Knowledge (any) (Int)
Listen (Wis)
Perform (Cha)
Scry (Int)
Sense Motive (Wis)
Speak Language
Spot (Wis)
Use Magic Device (Cha)”

And there you have it. Somehow this got dropped out of the text in the editing, a glitch that as we all know has happened a time or two before.
And to Jamallo Kreen: official pronunciations from Ed: “Vangey” is “VAN-jee” but “Vangerdahast” is “VAN-grr-dah-hast” (yes, regardless of what it may say elsewhere)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2006 :  02:25:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
So that begs the question then.... who came up with the pronouncations in the old grey box and the 2e campaign setting box set? Since Ed has given us a different one then what is in the old grey box.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2006 :  02:44:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

And to Jamallo Kreen: official pronunciations from Ed: “Vangey” is “VAN-jee” but “Vangerdahast” is “VAN-grr-dah-hast” (yes, regardless of what it may say elsewhere)
love,
THO
Strangely, or not... I always felt the "grr" sound in Vangerdahast was actually more appropriate than what we'd learned in the 1e/2e FRCS sets. And I know that is how I've always chosen to pronouce it despite what's been written about the pronouciation before.

But I'm curious... who came up with the pronouciations in 1e/2e then if not Ed?

EDIT: And yes, I just realised Kuje asked the same question twenty-or-so-minutes ago -- (teaches me to have the reply window open for too long and start doing something else before replying)

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2006 :  08:33:34  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message
I've always envisioned his name and nickname sounding the way Ed just confirmed as well. But then, the first time you read a product, the way you start pronouncing a name tends to stick with you for the rest of your life, regardless of what anyone says - take for example Drizzt, Cattie Brie, and Guenhwyvar. When you read the novels all those years back, the way you started pronouncing the names is most likely how you still pronounce them, regardless of what anyone says.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2006 :  17:53:19  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

A kiira stores all unguarded knowledge possessed by the weilder. So all of the songs he/she's ever listened to should theoretically be in there. It's *finding* a certain song in milennia of memories that a problem...

There was also a sound bottle in The Floodgate that Tzigone uses to record a short verbal exchange. No idea how much it could record or store for how long.

not necessarily true. the telkiiras (LEOF) can store memories much like a thought bottle (complete arcane). the kiiras can sotre the memory if the person can actually remember it... so the song might not be recorded properly. Also it can only play it back to teh wearer not broadcast it. The Akhvelahr (Sp?) kiira can produce illusions of the things stored within but im not sure if that can produce music. i believe its in the pgtf.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000