Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Where are the Nether Scrolls?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

maurezen
Acolyte

Russia
26 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  08:29:39  Show Profile  Visit maurezen's Homepage Send maurezen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have just read the "Cormanthyr : Empire of Elves" book, and I saw there an entry about the hidden treasures of Windsong Tower. Having it read carefully revealed an amazing thing to me : the "Quess'Ar'Teranthvar" is nothing else than five (six, actually) of ten Nether Scrolls stolen from Netheril.
The question here is obvious: where are other scrolls?

I heed the approval of others. I heed not its absence.

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  09:05:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LEoF mentions that two are in the Crypt of Hssthak in western Anauroch, while three are in the Hall of Mists beneath the Grandfather Tree in the High Forest. It also mentions that the Quess'Ar Teranthvar is a complete set of 50 scrolls, not just 6.
Go to Top of Page

maurezen
Acolyte

Russia
26 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  09:09:45  Show Profile  Visit maurezen's Homepage Send maurezen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please, explain me what is LEoF?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  09:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maurezen

Please, explain me what is LEoF?

Lost Empires of Faerun, a supplement released back in February.
Go to Top of Page

maurezen
Acolyte

Russia
26 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  09:30:58  Show Profile  Visit maurezen's Homepage Send maurezen a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  14:48:17  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
is there any mention of the other scroll sets?

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  17:25:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Nether Scroll novel also answers some of these. :) The North box set does as well and the North is one of the free downloads.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  17:51:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

The Nether Scroll novel also answers some of these. :) The North box set does as well and the North is one of the free downloads.

And the free downloads can be found on the Wizards downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  23:18:00  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There used to be two complete sets. One complete set was stolen by the elves and turned into the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar. Its location after the fall of Myth Drannor is unknown (as far as I know, they haven't updated it in 3e, have they?).

The other set was lost piecemeal throughout Netheril's history. Some were stolen, some destroyed, and some just plain misplaced. So you're most likely to have them pop up in ones and twos instead of ten or twenty, and the excellent scribes have already given examples.

However, there's still at least half a set that's completely unaccounted for in the past thousand years or so.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  23:23:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

There used to be two complete sets. One complete set was stolen by the elves and turned into the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar. Its location after the fall of Myth Drannor is unknown (as far as I know, they haven't updated it in 3e, have they?).

It should still be in Windsong Tower. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  23:33:31  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barring the fact that Windsong Tower should be a smoking ruin, its remaining members would *certainly* have evacuated such a precious item, even if it meant waking up the sleeping High Mage to do it.

But where would they send it? Fall of Myth Drannor says that magic was evacuated to either Silverymoon or Ascalhorn. Silverymoon has been covered many times, I'm pretty sure it's not there. Likewise, if the demons of Hellgate Keep had it, the North would have known long before now.

So where did they send it? Evermeet seems the likeliest choice, as they were rapidly running out of major elven empires (Eaerlann being the last) on Faerun.

In case you hadn't noticed, this is a topic I enjoy speculating on.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  23:41:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldnt be surpised if Shade enclave had a few nor would I be suprised if Shar or Clergy had some to.

Shar may well have even studied some of the missing Nether Scrolls before she created the Shadow weave......

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  00:10:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Barring the fact that Windsong Tower should be a smoking ruin, its remaining members would *certainly* have evacuated such a precious item, even if it meant waking up the sleeping High Mage to do it.

But where would they send it? Fall of Myth Drannor says that magic was evacuated to either Silverymoon or Ascalhorn. Silverymoon has been covered many times, I'm pretty sure it's not there. Likewise, if the demons of Hellgate Keep had it, the North would have known long before now.

So where did they send it? Evermeet seems the likeliest choice, as they were rapidly running out of major elven empires (Eaerlann being the last) on Faerun.

In case you hadn't noticed, this is a topic I enjoy speculating on.

It's still in Windsong, as I said since not all of that tower, nor the deminsional space, was destroyed.

Go to Top of Page

Magus Rages
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  01:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Magus Rages's Homepage Send Magus Rages a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I wouldnt be surpised if Shade enclave had a few nor would I be suprised if Shar or Clergy had some to.

Shar may well have even studied some of the missing Nether Scrolls before she created the Shadow weave......

Shadovar possessing Nether Scrolls, but I doubt they can cast the spells written in it since the Scrolls require Weave Magic.

It is quite well known that Mystra forbids 10th level and higher spells(I seriously hate Mystra for this), so even if a Weave user stumbles on a Nether Scroll, wait, are all the Nether Scrolls 10th level or higher spells or below 10th level? If they are above 10th level, can the mage cast it by following the arcane words in the Scroll? Also, are the Nether Scrolls created by elven High Magic?, if so, does elven High Magic differ from the Weave Magic and not bound by the restrictions imposed on Weave Magic?

If Shar did studied the Nether Scrolls, then it would be a good thing if she can create a 12th level spell for everyone to play with.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  01:13:17  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No offense, but what's your source for the tower being intact post-Fall? Also, don't you think they'd move it with the raging hordes running through the streets?

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  01:25:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No offense, but what's your source for the tower being intact post-Fall? Also, don't you think they'd move it with the raging hordes running through the streets?

See the Nether Scrools write up in LEOF

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  01:29:02  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Magus Rages

quote:

Shadovar possessing Nether Scrolls, but I doubt they can cast the spells written in it since the Scrolls require Weave Magic.

It is quite well known that Mystra forbids 10th level and higher spells(I seriously hate Mystra for this), so even if a Weave user stumbles on a Nether Scroll, wait, are all the Nether Scrolls 10th level or higher spells or below 10th level? If they are above 10th level, can the mage cast it by following the arcane words in the Scroll? Also, are the Nether Scrolls created by elven High Magic?, if so, does elven High Magic differ from the Weave Magic and not bound by the restrictions imposed on Weave Magic?

If Shar did studied the Nether Scrolls, then it would be a good thing if she can create a 12th level spell for everyone to play with.

Reading one Nether scroll automaticly gives a character 1 free level in an Arcane spell casting class (ie it functions like a Libran of Silver magic) in addition of you can track down a complete "chapter" and read them then you get more stuff. There are 5 seperate chapters making up the Nether scrolls

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  01:33:31  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Nether Scrolls are in LEoF? Huh. Well, now I really have to track that book down.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  01:36:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cormanthyr. Steven Schend. The Ruins of Myth Drannor box set. And evidently Lost Empires.

Edited by - Kuje on 10 Nov 2005 01:45:12
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  03:58:06  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Quess'ar'Teranthvar is still intact and still watched over by its guardian (and maybe more). Yes, the physical shell that was Windsong Tower has long since fallen. All that means is that there's no direct physical connection to the portal that (should you prove worthy) might provide access to the extradimensional space wherein the golden tree that was once a full set of Nether Scrolls abides.....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

maurezen
Acolyte

Russia
26 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  08:49:02  Show Profile  Visit maurezen's Homepage Send maurezen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

The Quess'ar'Teranthvar is still intact and still watched over by its guardian (and maybe more). Yes, the physical shell that was Windsong Tower has long since fallen. All that means is that there's no direct physical connection to the portal that (should you prove worthy) might provide access to the extradimensional space wherein the golden tree that was once a full set of Nether Scrolls abides.....

Was it? "The Arcane Age: Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves" says that it wasn't full, but there were six of them (and four more possibly still in existence). Where the truth is?

Go to Top of Page

maurezen
Acolyte

Russia
26 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  09:11:41  Show Profile  Visit maurezen's Homepage Send maurezen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And "Netheril : Empire of Magic" says thet there wer 2 sets of 50 scrolls. Where is the truth?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  10:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maurezen

And "Netheril : Empire of Magic" says thet there wer 2 sets of 50 scrolls. Where is the truth?

2 sets of 50, and the tree is one set. Newer stuff overrides older stuff, and that's what LEoF says.
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  10:10:46  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Considering the Shadow Weave was created at precisely the same moment as old Mystryl was, I highly doubt that. (see War of Light and Dark, FRCS)

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  11:29:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkheyr

Considering the Shadow Weave was created at precisely the same moment as old Mystryl was, I highly doubt that. (see War of Light and Dark, FRCS)

You have a page reference for that? All the references I know of mention Shar taking centuries to create the Shadow Weave, after studying the regular Weave...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  11:49:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Darkheyr

You have a page reference for that? All the references I know of mention Shar taking centuries to create the Shadow Weave, after studying the regular Weave...

And his reference in the FRCS just mentions how Mystryl was made from Shar and Selune-it doesn't say anything about the Weave or the Shadow Weave...
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  12:43:02  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless I'm completely off on my memory, part of that ripped divine essence became the shadow weave. Granted, Shar nurtured and formed it for a long while before she granted mortals access to it, but it was definitly created via that fight between Selūne and Shar. What one might argue is that the creation process took her a while, but thats about it.
However, even "a few hundred centuries" is hardly comparable to the thousands of years we are talking about here.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  16:39:35  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
from Magic of Faerūn, highlight by me
Shar studied the Weave and used her own energy in remote parts of the world to experiment on it, eventually coming to understand how it worked and supplicating its effects with her own subtle and dark creation. Eventually this experiment grew to encompass the entire globe, although none knew of its existence. This creation is the Shadow Weave, a dark and distorted copy of the true Weave that enhances the magic of shadows, enchantment, necromancy, and illusion. With the Shadow Weave, Shar hopes to draw evil-inclined spellcasters to her flock, especially since those are the kind of people who would avoid paying homage to the good-aligned Mystra anyway. While the Shadow Weave has existed for quite some time, only recently has it begun to spread rapidly and its power become known to many.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Tathral
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  07:03:39  Show Profile  Visit Tathral's Homepage Send Tathral a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It may be is logical to assume that the scrolls require Weave access. They were created during the First Flowering by races that we assume had access only to the Weave (at least in general, see Magic of Faerun quote by Kajehase), there are a couple factors you should consider before you confine the scrolls to Weave-only artifacts. First, they were created as an extrapolation of arcane magic's potential into infinity. While this in and of itself doesn't guarantee Shadow Weave user benefit from these scrolls, my second point is that their benefits are described as being for arcane spellcasters (I believe. Sorcerers might gain something from them, but I can't remember). There is, as far as I can find, any text precluding Shadow Weavers from benefiting from the scrolls. So, it looks like the extrapolation of magic either is applicable to the Shadow Weave in the same way your reflection is applicable to you, or that magic was not only extrapolated onward and upward in the Weave, but outwards from the Weave as well. This is pure speculation of course; we won’t know the answer to this question until the Shadow Weave conflict is resolved. See Lost Empires of Faerun for the best description of the scrolls.

quote:
It is quite well known that Mystra forbids 10th level and higher spells(I seriously hate Mystra for this), so even if a Weave user stumbles on a Nether Scrol, wait, are all the Nether Scrolls 10th level or higher spells or below 10th level?

The Nether Scrolls are not spell scrolls. Ergo, the probably do not contain spells. Instead, they contain detailed explanations of the workings of magic, allowing someone to use it more efficiently, gain access to its deeper secrets, ect.

quote:
If they are above 10th level, can the mage cast it by following the arcane words in the Scroll?

Mystra forbade magic above the tenth level (off topic: does that include spells altered by metamagic and stored in spell slots above the tenth level? Blackcloak has some of these slots, and they are mentioned in ELH), so even if you study the entire collection of scrolls, you still wont be able to overcome the tenth level restriction. However, I believe that the "Return of the Archmage" trilogy explicitly states that the Shadow Weave allows the use of spells above the tenth level. This would conceivably allow a Shadow Weaver to develop spells with the Nether Scrolls as an aid in the manner of the Ancient Netherese.

quote:
Also, are the Nether Scrolls created by elven High Magic?

The Nether Scrolls were created by the second Creator Race (The name escapes me), and they predate elven arrival on Faerun by quite a bit. Since the Weave was still whole when the scrolls were created, and elven magic is costly, it's reasonable to infer that the Scales of the World Serpent (Nether Scrolls) were created with a high-level spell as opposed to the weaker elvish substitute. Just incase you were wondering, Elves had no hand in the creation of the scrolls; they have no claim on them. It was humans who played the greatest role in their creation. The theft of and subsequent domination of the scrolls by the elves is just another example of them usurping Humanity's inheritance.

quote:
...if so, does elven High Magic differ from the Weave Magic and not bound by the restrictions imposed on Weave Magic?

Read up on elven magic in the various source books, novels, and forum threads. It's still part of the Weave, and still subject to the limitations thereof.

quote:

1) It would be a Shadow Weave spell. 2) It would probably be used in some way that was detrimental to Weave users, so not really a good thing, no.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  07:31:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tathral

quote:

It may be is logical to assume that the scrolls require Weave access. They were created during the First Flowering by races that we assume had access only to the Weave (at least in general, see Magic of Faerun quote by Kajehase), there are a couple factors you should consider before you confine the scrolls to Weave-only artifacts. First, they were created as an extrapolation of arcane magic's potential into infinity. While this in and of itself doesn't guarantee Shadow Weave user benefit from these scrolls, my second point is that their benefits are described as being for arcane spellcasters (I believe. Sorcerers might gain something from them, but I can't remember).

Sorcerers do cast arcane spells-they do gain the benefits.

quote:
(off topic: does that include spells altered by metamagic and stored in spell slots above the tenth level? Blackcloak has some of these slots, and they are mentioned in ELH)

No, as they are not technically 10th level spells in 3.5 rules or in the FR worldview. See Mystra's Ban in LEoF.
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  02:10:45  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
from Magic of Faerūn, highlight by me
Shar studied the Weave and used her own energy in remote parts of the world to experiment on it, eventually coming to understand how it worked and supplicating its effects with her own subtle and dark creation. Eventually this experiment grew to encompass the entire globe, although none knew of its existence. This creation is the Shadow Weave, a dark and distorted copy of the true Weave that enhances the magic of shadows, enchantment, necromancy, and illusion. With the Shadow Weave, Shar hopes to draw evil-inclined spellcasters to her flock, especially since those are the kind of people who would avoid paying homage to the good-aligned Mystra anyway. While the Shadow Weave has existed for quite some time, only recently has it begun to spread rapidly and its power become known to many.

Mh, I probably need to reread my books once I can access them again...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000