Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Myth Drannor's Mythal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Azazel
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  23:07:01  Show Profile  Visit Azazel's Homepage Send Azazel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding Myth Drannor's Mythal. Unless i am mistaking Mystra's ban on 10th level and higher spells took place in -339 DR, soon after Karsus casted Karsus's Avatar. The laying of Myth Drannor's Mythal took place in 261 DR but The ruins of Myth Drannor states that the 10th level Mythanthor's Create Mythal spell was used. In the short description it also states 'in the days before the gods took such eight of spellhurlings away from mortals' which makes it sound like it was a 10th level spell rather then an Epic version of the spell.

If the laying of Myth Drannor's Mythal did use the Mythal Seed wouldn't that make it vulnerable to an Epic spell using the Dispel Seed? Permanent magical effect created by Epic spells are dispellable.

Edited by - Azazel on 18 Nov 2005 00:05:08

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2005 :  01:02:01  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even with Mythals being "Epic" spells now, they still are not easily dispelled.
Plus unless I'm mistaken most if not all True Mythals are also "blessed" by various gods.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2005 :  01:16:03  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, bear in mind that when Ruins of Myth Drannor came out, there wasn't any Epic Magic. Nor even and True Dweomers, the 2e precursor to Epic.

Second, most of Ruins of Myth Drannor was updated and expanded by Cormanthyr/Fall of Myth Drannor/Elminster in Myth Drannor, and in those it was clearly stated that Myth Drannor's mythal was indeed a 10th level spell, created by an elven mage who had been a High Mage before that power was burned out, and was modeled on the high magic ritual.

Two other points. In (I think) Secrets of the Magister, it's stated that Mystra didn't exactly ban 10th level spells, all she did was change the formulas so that existing spells wouldn't work any more. They could, in theory, be re-researched, though the casting of them essentially becomes a "Oh, please Mystra let this work" prayer.

Second, in another book (I love how my brain isn't working right now, though I think it's in Cormanthyr), Elminster says he's certain that they all would have died casting the mythal spell (or at the very least, would have failed), if Mystra hadn't come along and helped it work personally.

Hope all this helps. Too bad it's so corrupted now.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 18 Nov 2005 01:16:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000