Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 My FR Tattoo...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  23:00:31  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh it doesn't hurt - well, it stings a little, but that just makes you feel that the art you are getting is worth it.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  01:40:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never thought of it that way before. :) Still, I'd be happier if I just got something temporary--then I can play around with different designs.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  01:51:34  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair enough. The one thing about tattoos is that they are very personal and a big commitment. And it does sting, and can hurt in certain places - though females generally get tattoos in more sensitive places than men, at least for little ones - no offense, Destroyyoualot.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  01:58:28  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know. I get a whole lot of compliments on my little glyph/symbol tattoos, so I don't think they look bad at all. It is a matter of personal taste, as with any form of free expression. I personally think women who get full color tattoos look trashy. But...that's my opinion.

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  03:05:48  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After all this discussion, I'm hoping to meet Crennan and Kianna (and many others) at next year's GenCon; hopefully by then I'll have another touch of ink or two (and maybe I'll even have broken down and gotten Khelben's wizard mark put on me somewheres...).

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  03:20:21  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem, Steven - now that I am finally out of college and have a real job, we can actually take vacation and make it out to GenCon! :)

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  03:34:01  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And by then I will have the SpellJammer tat and maybe my bat wings....

Oh to dream of ink!

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  13:33:17  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kianna

And by then I will have the SpellJammer tat and maybe my bat wings....

Oh to dream of ink!

That logo was one of the most elaborate TSR ever did, and you're getting it tattooed on you? Wow, I'm imagining the endorphin overload already...

Steven
Who wonders how much Todd Lockwood would charge him to help design a unique tattoo that ties into the plot of BLACKSTAFF.....

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  13:52:39  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I am a SJ loyalist (though it has evolved much in my hands and become much cooler if I do say so myself).

Do you think Khelben or Elminster are man enough to have a tattoo...and what would it be of?

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Khaa
Seeker

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  13:56:21  Show Profile  Visit Khaa's Homepage Send Khaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IF I would get a Fr tatoo, glyphs would not be a choice. Neither would a painting or similiar work of art. Maybe something like the FR logo? I guess you could put a map of Faerun on your stomach so you couldn't get lost.

Ever want another forum? Well try out www.icewinddale.com
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  14:14:40  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My next tattoo will be the Baenre House Symbol, as it is a lasting house of Menzoberranzan - then I will finally get my Galatic Empire symbol after that, and I should (?) be done. :)

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  17:22:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I am a SJ loyalist

So am I, but not enough to get a tattoo of the logo... One of the ships, maybe, but not the logo.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  19:37:26  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, she has wanted that tattoo for as long as I can remember. It's her turn next, so I want to hurry her up so it can be my turn again!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  02:29:55  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly... the only ship that matters IS the SpellJammer. You gotta respect, man! :)

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  02:55:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Fair enough. The one thing about tattoos is that they are very personal and a big commitment. And it does sting, and can hurt in certain places - though females generally get tattoos in more sensitive places than men, at least for little ones - no offense, Destroyyoualot.

C-Fb

*nods* Frankly, I can't think of any one design that I'd be willing to have on my skin permanently.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  03:49:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wooly... the only ship that matters IS the SpellJammer. You gotta respect, man! :)

Yeah, but it's just too big for my liking... My fave hulls were Hammerships, Viperships, and Triops.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  03:50:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

*nods* Frankly, I can't think of any one design that I'd be willing to have on my skin permanently.

That's me, too. I've never seen anything that appealed to me that much...

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  04:05:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

That's me, too. I've never seen anything that appealed to me that much...

My step-brother (who likes tattoos) suggested getting the names of one's children, because they will always be your children and hopefully, you'd always wish to honor them. But still, I don't have any children, and any tattoo I'd get would have to be in a place where it could be very easily hidden (ie. not seen when I'm working).

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  04:09:14  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I am a SJ loyalist (though it has evolved much in my hands and become much cooler if I do say so myself).

Do you think Khelben or Elminster are man enough to have a tattoo...and what would it be of?

Well, the mutual sisters to whom they're attached both insist that both are more than manly enow for skin ink. As Khelben's body has been wholly destroyed at least twice and the one he currently wears has amassed many scars, he's lost any tattoos he had in his youth.

As for Elminster, you'd have to ask Ed. I know better than to ask El to expose himself and show us anything about himself.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  04:10:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh,

One these days I need to get my snowy owl to compliment my wolves head. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  06:12:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

As for Elminster, you'd have to ask Ed. I know better than to ask El to expose himself and show us anything about himself.
I'm wondering now whether the Lady Hooded One has any significant tattoos of note .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Oct 2005 06:13:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  11:34:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm wondering now whether the Lady Hooded One has any significant tattoos of note .

I'll be happy to check. I'll even double-check!

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  14:14:18  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about Fzoul Chembryl? You know he has to have a big symbol of bane tattooed on his back... or better yet, his chest. That would be a bit intimidating.

Scyulla probably has one as well, or perhaps she still has a Tyr one on to mock her former days?

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  15:12:48  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane
And it does sting, and can hurt in certain places - though females generally get tattoos in more sensitive places than men, at least for little ones - no offense, Destroyyoualot.

None taken - and you've got a point, although I've gotten some pretty "sweet" spots worked on; Anyplace more "sensitive" than those would have to be a "highly personal" region, and would be (I hope) unlikely to get a gaming tattoo.

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
quote:

Well, the mutual sisters to whom they're attached both insist that both are more than manly enow for skin ink. As Khelben's body has been wholly destroyed at least twice and the one he currently wears has amassed many scars, he's lost any tattoos he had in his youth.

My thoughts exactly - any of the Chosen get their bodies broken and remade often enough to make tattoos a temporary venture, to say the least.

Come to think of it (and not entirely off-topic), anyone have any basic in-game prices for tattoos that they use? My players found out that there's a tattooist in Eveningstar, so needless to say they all want to get work done. I'm trying to decide on a pricing schedule before I let them go ahead with it.

Edited by - DestroyYouAlot on 26 Oct 2005 15:15:46
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  15:22:03  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have charged 5sp for some smaller cities, where the artwork isn't so good. I have also charged 10gp for elven and half-elven artists residing in Silverymoon and Waterdeep. I think the prices are the same as the real world - if the artwork is good, and proven, you can charge a lot more. Since pricing is usually based on size and how the artist feels about you... I'd say it should be right on the cusp of expensive, but not overly so.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  15:24:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DestroyYouAlot

Come to think of it (and not entirely off-topic), anyone have any basic in-game prices for tattoos that they use? My players found out that there's a tattooist in Eveningstar, so needless to say they all want to get work done. I'm trying to decide on a pricing schedule before I let them go ahead with it.

I would think that it would depend upon the type of tattoo -- whether it's just a plain decorative feature or something woven with arcane sigils. Magical tattoos are bound to be more expensive.

Additionally, if the materials necessary for the creation of a particular tattoo are difficult to acquire, a character may be forced to pay a higher price. I suppose the size and the intricate details of the actual tattoo also factor into the price tag -- simple images which don't take a lot of time to create are cheaper than those that would require the character to sit and wait several hours for the feature to be painted on.

As a rough working... I'd say anything from 1 standard gp to (maybe) even 100 gp. Possibly even higher... although I'd rank magical tattoos in that category.

Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  23:00:42  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is an odd question but, can we link pictures to this forum? As in is it against the rules? You guys have any photos of your gaming tattoos?
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  23:48:29  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course I do. My wife and I have sorta-kinda matching tattoos. If they can be put up here, I will. If not, I'll put them up on my web page and link it here.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2005 :  00:50:10  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am unsure of the rules myself I just joined recently but I have not seen any pictures or anything posted so I was not sure.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2005 :  00:50:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beezy

This is an odd question but, can we link pictures to this forum? As in is it against the rules? You guys have any photos of your gaming tattoos?

No, that function is not available in these forums.

If you wish to talk about a particular image, just post the URL.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000