Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 My FR Tattoo...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  04:22:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do! And the organization, as well.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  04:35:47  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, anyone else for getting an FR tattoo?

I think RF needs to get one - and it had better be the Moonstars symbol!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  04:49:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

C-Fb

That might well be my choice, if I desired a tattoo!

Maybe they can make a temporary tattoo for me...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  06:49:01  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought Kossuth's symbol looked interesting and would make a nice tattoo. It's an abstract flame, and fire is just cool.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  07:20:26  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

C-Fb

I second that one!!!

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  14:45:27  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See, RF, now you have the masses cheering for the Moonstar tattoo.

I think I am going down in a couple weeks to get my tattoo. My wife is going to be getting the Spelljammer tattoo this weekend.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  14:52:25  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I can find it again.

The real questions is, to color or not to color....

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  19:41:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

C-Fb

Do they know where I can get a temporary one?

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  20:53:18  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

C-Fb

Do they know where I can get a temporary one?

Actually, henna tattoos are gaining in popularity, I've seen several places that are now doing henna tats. Look around, I bet you can find a place that can do it.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Edited by - Xysma on 12 Oct 2005 04:05:45
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  20:55:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great idea, thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  20:56:00  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may be crazy, but I always thought that the symbol of Shar would make a cool tattoo. Simple yes, but striking.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  21:49:38  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a tattoo of Clan Cappadocian's crest from Vampire: The Dark Ages, in full colour. Purples, greens, reds and blacks. It took ages, is very complex, but looks bloody good. Everyone asks me what the Latin wording on the symbol means though.

If I was to have a Forgotten Realms tattoo, I'd probably pick a holy symbol. If I wanted to stick with the Cappadocian / death genre I'd pick the symbol of Myrkul perhaps. I think Velsharoon's looks a little... happy.

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

El Magnifico Uno
Learned Scribe

113 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  23:54:39  Show Profile  Visit El Magnifico Uno's Homepage Send El Magnifico Uno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mmmm... Not exactly FR-related, but the pic of Thor smiting the Midgard Serpent in the oldschool Deities & Demigods would make a good back tattoo if you got a bit of coin to spend... A college chum of mine got the Cthulhu pic from the old-old book done, which came out pretty well... As far as just FR, I think the Eileestrae symbol would be good, or the Emerald Enclave symbol, or the Cult of the Dragon symbol...
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  02:21:05  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Bones

I have a tattoo of Clan Cappadocian's crest from Vampire: The Dark Ages, in full colour. Purples, greens, reds and blacks. It took ages, is very complex, but looks bloody good. Everyone asks me what the Latin wording on the symbol means though.

If I was to have a Forgotten Realms tattoo, I'd probably pick a holy symbol. If I wanted to stick with the Cappadocian / death genre I'd pick the symbol of Myrkul perhaps. I think Velsharoon's looks a little... happy.

Right on... I have my Shadow Lord, Homid, Philodox tattoo on my right shoulder. Cappadocian is cool man... that must have stung just a little!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  02:23:30  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Lord of Bones, Crennen and I both have tattoos from Werewolf: The Apocalypse, though not in color. Very cool idea though.

Mine is BoneGnawer-Ahroun-Homid

Rowr...

Huzzah!

Edited by - Kianna on 12 Oct 2005 04:24:16
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  04:11:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I was going to get a Werewolf tattoo, it would have to be the Glass Walker glyph. Nothing cooler than that!

As for FR tats... How about spelling out something in Espruar or Dethek?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  13:53:30  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I like the idea for Shar's symbol. It is simple and easy but would be really awesome.

And I did find my SpellJammer symbol so its on this weekend!

Now the question is....where would you put your FR tattoo?

If I got Shar I'd stick it on the back of my neck. That's also if I thought I could get away with it at my job. :) So, I guess realistically I could do an ankle.

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  12:51:00  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone I played Vampire with (all of one session, as she was into this "I AM a vampire" thing), had the Tzimisce orobouros symbol around her navel, and a copied illustration from the Tzimisce clanbook on her back. It apparently took her more than a few months because of the pain.

Thinking about it, I've never met anyone with a D&D tattoo. I'll have to go to more conventions.

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  13:51:43  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got two d10's on my ankle for those all inportant 2E percentile roles.

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  14:07:14  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If your a Masochist you could have the Roll of Years printed down your back

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  14:37:45  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think there are too many D&D Tattoos. However, the World of Darkness kinds of lends itself to it since every clan, tribe, tradition, etc. has their own symbol.

It makes it easy to identify one's self with it. My friends and I were all supposed to get our Garou tattoos since we were in the Silver Pack (demostrators for WW on the West Coast), but they all chickened out. Thank gosh my wife had my back

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  17:20:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kianna

I've got two d10's on my ankle for those all inportant 2E percentile roles.

Kinda hard to roll them, isn't it?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  02:37:20  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, trust me she always rolls 100.... that's either very good treasure or an awesome roll concerning the Marvel RPG!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  02:45:23  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly- You are so weird. :)

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  20:12:34  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me go ahead and be the party pooper, and advise you not to get any glyphs or symbols. They nearly always make bad tattoos, as the borders are too well defined - it looks like someone drew a glyph on you. I'd go with something the artist can work with, i.e., a painting from some realms product. Let them do their own spin on it, as long as the parts that are important to you are the same. (If it's a reputable artist, they'll draw it out the way it'll look on your skin beforehand, and you can discuss any changes or problems before the needle hits skin.) An action scene will look better than a portrait, for example, imagine the painting from the FR DM's screen, wrapped around an arm or leg so it makes a full circle. There's more to look at, and more for the artist to play with. If they're worth going to, they'll enjoy the challenge.

And, by all means, if you're going to someone where you need to make the tattoo "simpler" so you're sure it'll get done right - Get a new artist! Believe me, it's worth it.
Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  16:18:29  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DO you know how expensive portraits are and how much time that takes? Not to mention the peeling, pain, weirdness if you tan, etc etc.

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  13:04:00  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kianna

DO you know how expensive portraits are and how much time that takes? Not to mention the peeling, pain, weirdness if you tan, etc etc.

Well, a good portrait can run you a few, but, then, they're not the best composition for a tattoo, anyway. I'm talking about action scenes, landscapes, the kind of things that make good tattoo composition - small figures on a large landscape, like japanese art. As far as peeling, pain, and tanning, peeling shouldn't be an issue for any one tattoo more than another, if you follow the aftercare instructions. Pain is what happens when you stick needles in your skin, that's kind of included with the tattoo, but if you're going to get one, it's worth it to sit for a few minutes more to get a worthwhile one. And tanning shouldn't be any more of an issue with an elaborate piece than a simple one, and you're supposed to be slapping sunblock on a tattoo (especially a new one), anyway - why spend the money if you're not going to take care of it?

BTW, I've sat for somewhere around sixty hours of work, so I have some idea what I'm talking about.

Edited by - DestroyYouAlot on 24 Oct 2005 13:04:40
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  14:45:16  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sixty hours? That's a lot of body art.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  14:47:35  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sixty hours? That's a lot of body art.

C-Fb

Yeah, I used to have a disposable income. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  21:01:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The pain is one reason why I wouldn't get a real tattoo. :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000