Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Durnan patron deity
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2005 :  18:42:36  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi,

In CoS, it is said that each of the lord's amulet is shaped in the lord's patron deity's symbol form.

What do you think would be the most logical patron deity for Durnan?

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2005 :  19:16:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say Tempus and Tymora.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2005 :  20:00:36  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not Tyr? It could be him since Durnan has a sense of justice about himself.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2005 :  20:32:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to the new rules, Tyr wouldn't make sense because he is a LG deity, and Durnan is CG. Also, I'd have to go with Tymora myself, just because Durnan is/was an adventurer who probably put a lot of faith in her.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2005 :  21:28:43  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I concur with Tymora. And stay in a midway between Tempus and Tyr. Maybe Helm, since he is basically "at charge" of the Yawning Portal?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2005 :  23:57:33  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should probably point out that Durnan is in fact Neutral Good, not Chaotic Good, per Heroes' Lorebook, and Hall of Heroes before that.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  15:44:04  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

I should probably point out that Durnan is in fact Neutral Good, not Chaotic Good, per Heroes' Lorebook, and Hall of Heroes before that.

I'd vote for Lathander, given that Durnan's wife, Mhaere Dryndilstann, is a priestess of Lathander. See City of Splendor: Waterdeep, page 40, or the Ruins of Undermountain boxed set.

Garen is correct; Durnan is NG, as noted in City of Splendors: Waterdeep, page 54.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  19:23:34  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

I'd vote for Lathander, given that Durnan's wife, Mhaere Dryndilstann, is a priestess of Lathander. See City of Splendor: Waterdeep, page 40, or the Ruins of Undermountain boxed set.

Garen is correct; Durnan is NG, as noted in City of Splendors: Waterdeep, page 54.

--Eric

With some "lip respect" for Tymora, perhaps I seem to recall that Durnan's daughter is a priestess of the Lady Luck?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  20:42:01  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would go for Helm as well, maybe with a point of Tymora

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  20:48:48  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

I second this. Guarding an entrance to a place like Undermountain is a job for the Watcher.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2005 :  02:26:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

I second this. Guarding an entrance to a place like Undermountain is a job for the Watcher.

No, no... you've got it all wrong friend . It isn't that Durnan is guarding an "entrance" to Undermountain... but rather blocking its "exit" .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2005 :  08:20:21  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppouse he worships the god of blocking then...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 24 Sep 2005 08:24:55
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2005 :  12:24:39  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

No, no... you've got it all wrong friend . It isn't that Durnan is guarding an "entrance" to Undermountain... but rather blocking its "exit" .

That`s still a job for the Watcher.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2005 :  15:28:05  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the other hand, Durnan doesn't strike me as very lawful (in the D&D-alignment sense) in those short stories and snippets of Ed's that he appear in, so I don't think Helm would be a very good match.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2005 :  02:24:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... For me, Kuje's suggestion above about Tempus could definitely be an appropriate fit. Even Tymora is good suggestion based on what we know of Durnan. I suppose even Torm is possible, but that's a significant stretch -- even given the NG allowance listed in his worshipper alignments.

Maybe Durnan wasn't always CG. If alignments in a fantasy settings aren't static... and reflect the choices the NPC will make during his lifetime, then perhaps at some point in his career he had a different alignment -- tending more towards a neutral mode of acting with relation to the law, than the more chaotic interpretation he holds now.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2005 :  03:39:56  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

According to the new rules, Tyr wouldn't make sense because he is a LG deity, and Durnan is CG. Also, I'd have to go with Tymora myself, just because Durnan is/was an adventurer who probably put a lot of faith in her.

Durnan predates the new rules, so I imagine there's some kind of grandfather clause
I think its a good idea to ignore that particular restriction anyway;it uneccesarily limits possibilities. Of course, if we started listing all the aspects of 3E I choose to ignore, we could be here all day.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  20:49:05  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oops, sorry. I've got so much infomation bouncing around in my head I occasionally get little things mixed up.

But the point is moot, anyway, since I still go with Tymora. From what I've read of him, especially in Ed's stories, Durnan is mainly an adventurer who likes to have fun and take chances, although earlier in life he could have had more lawful sensibilities (as the Sage pointed out). I just don't see Tyr as being a good "fit" for him, though I wouldn't be surprised if he says prayers to Helm every so often.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 26 Sep 2005 20:53:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000