Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Durnan patron deity

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Skeptic Posted - 20 Sep 2005 : 18:42:36
Hi,

In CoS, it is said that each of the lord's amulet is shaped in the lord's patron deity's symbol form.

What do you think would be the most logical patron deity for Durnan?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 26 Sep 2005 : 20:49:05
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

I should probably point out that Durnan is in fact Neutral Good, not Chaotic Good, per Heroes' Lorebook, and Hall of Heroes before that.

Oops, sorry. I've got so much infomation bouncing around in my head I occasionally get little things mixed up.

But the point is moot, anyway, since I still go with Tymora. From what I've read of him, especially in Ed's stories, Durnan is mainly an adventurer who likes to have fun and take chances, although earlier in life he could have had more lawful sensibilities (as the Sage pointed out). I just don't see Tyr as being a good "fit" for him, though I wouldn't be surprised if he says prayers to Helm every so often.
lowtech Posted - 25 Sep 2005 : 03:39:56
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

According to the new rules, Tyr wouldn't make sense because he is a LG deity, and Durnan is CG. Also, I'd have to go with Tymora myself, just because Durnan is/was an adventurer who probably put a lot of faith in her.

Durnan predates the new rules, so I imagine there's some kind of grandfather clause
I think its a good idea to ignore that particular restriction anyway;it uneccesarily limits possibilities. Of course, if we started listing all the aspects of 3E I choose to ignore, we could be here all day.
The Sage Posted - 25 Sep 2005 : 02:24:53
Hmmm... For me, Kuje's suggestion above about Tempus could definitely be an appropriate fit. Even Tymora is good suggestion based on what we know of Durnan. I suppose even Torm is possible, but that's a significant stretch -- even given the NG allowance listed in his worshipper alignments.

Maybe Durnan wasn't always CG. If alignments in a fantasy settings aren't static... and reflect the choices the NPC will make during his lifetime, then perhaps at some point in his career he had a different alignment -- tending more towards a neutral mode of acting with relation to the law, than the more chaotic interpretation he holds now.
Kajehase Posted - 24 Sep 2005 : 15:28:05
On the other hand, Durnan doesn't strike me as very lawful (in the D&D-alignment sense) in those short stories and snippets of Ed's that he appear in, so I don't think Helm would be a very good match.
khorne Posted - 24 Sep 2005 : 12:24:39
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

I would go for Helm as well, maybe with a point of Tymora

I second this. Guarding an entrance to a place like Undermountain is a job for the Watcher.

No, no... you've got it all wrong friend . It isn't that Durnan is guarding an "entrance" to Undermountain... but rather blocking its "exit" .

That`s still a job for the Watcher.
Thelonius Posted - 24 Sep 2005 : 08:20:21
I suppouse he worships the god of blocking then...
The Sage Posted - 24 Sep 2005 : 02:26:47
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

I second this. Guarding an entrance to a place like Undermountain is a job for the Watcher.

No, no... you've got it all wrong friend . It isn't that Durnan is guarding an "entrance" to Undermountain... but rather blocking its "exit" .
khorne Posted - 23 Sep 2005 : 20:48:48
quote:

Thelonius Posted - 23 Sep 2005 : 20:42:01
Asgetrion Posted - 23 Sep 2005 : 19:23:34
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

I should probably point out that Durnan is in fact Neutral Good, not Chaotic Good, per Heroes' Lorebook, and Hall of Heroes before that.

I'd vote for Lathander, given that Durnan's wife, Mhaere Dryndilstann, is a priestess of Lathander. See City of Splendor: Waterdeep, page 40, or the Ruins of Undermountain boxed set.

Garen is correct; Durnan is NG, as noted in City of Splendors: Waterdeep, page 54.

--Eric

With some "lip respect" for Tymora, perhaps I seem to recall that Durnan's daughter is a priestess of the Lady Luck?
ericlboyd Posted - 22 Sep 2005 : 15:44:04
quote:

I'd vote for Lathander, given that Durnan's wife, Mhaere Dryndilstann, is a priestess of Lathander. See City of Splendor: Waterdeep, page 40, or the Ruins of Undermountain boxed set.

Garen is correct; Durnan is NG, as noted in City of Splendors: Waterdeep, page 54.

--Eric
Garen Thal Posted - 21 Sep 2005 : 23:57:33
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 21 Sep 2005 : 21:28:43
I concur with Tymora. And stay in a midway between Tempus and Tyr. Maybe Helm, since he is basically "at charge" of the Yawning Portal?
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 21 Sep 2005 : 20:32:01
According to the new rules, Tyr wouldn't make sense because he is a LG deity, and Durnan is CG. Also, I'd have to go with Tymora myself, just because Durnan is/was an adventurer who probably put a lot of faith in her.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 20 Sep 2005 : 20:00:36
Not Tyr? It could be him since Durnan has a sense of justice about himself.

C-Fb
Kuje Posted - 20 Sep 2005 : 19:16:23
I'd say Tempus and Tymora.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000