Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Serpent Kingdoms- anyone using it?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  01:50:37  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Considering that that map covers an area about the size of the British Isles, it doesn't show a high density of serpent stuff -- there are indeed miles and miles between all those locations.

(I've remarked before that certain misconceptions about the Realms wouldn't occur if people read the map scales, but maybe these distances seem small to Americans. They aren't small to me, or to folk of Faerūn.)

Well yeah everything is small to us considering we have many states that are bigger than most countries

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  07:32:10  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco
Well yeah everything is small to us considering we have many states that are bigger than most countries

But you still have "miles and miles" of nothingness between places.

I remember driving between cities in eastern California, Nevada, Utah, etc. and even though one single state is x time larger than my home country I had the feeling that it was 90% of nothingness with dots of civilization intersped. Very muich "Western Heartlands".

Bocklin
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  08:07:05  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I remember, the Western Heartlands were somewhat shrunk between editions also. If you look at an old map you see that this area was quite a bit larger and the serpent folks area even more remote.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  12:53:33  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bocklin

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

But you still have "miles and miles" of nothingness between places.

I remember driving between cities in eastern California, Nevada, Utah, etc. and even though one single state is x time larger than my home country I had the feeling that it was 90% of nothingness with dots of civilization intersped. Very muich "Western Heartlands".

Bocklin

Well yeah, in that part of the country we like our space. Some people will up and move if they have a neighbor that is closer than 10km
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  13:29:49  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
...Plus the fact that the Mulhorandi deity Set is masquerading as the Yuan-Ti deity Sseth, lets me indulge my Old Empires obsession as well.

This is exactly my grasp in the book, too. My family plays in a Silver Marches campaign, and one of the players plays with a paladin of Osiris, that is following a Minion of Set (a sarrukh, in truth) from Mulhorand to the North.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  13:56:30  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Considering that that map covers an area about the size of the British Isles, it doesn't show a high density of serpent stuff -- there are indeed miles and miles between all those locations.

(I've remarked before that certain misconceptions about the Realms wouldn't occur if people read the map scales, but maybe these distances seem small to Americans. They aren't small to me, or to folk of Faerūn.)

I'm actually a Kiwi, Faraer, so everything looks pretty big to me... but by the same token, I have to plead 'guilty' to not referencing the map scale-bars. Mainly because most of the Faerūnian maps I see don't have scale-bars, but still....

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerūn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerūn, Player's Guide to Faerūn, Power of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  19:00:53  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trace_Coburn

quote:

I'm actually a Kiwi, Faraer, so everything looks pretty big to me... but by the same token, I have to plead 'guilty' to not referencing the map scale-bars. Mainly because most of the Faerūnian maps I see don't have scale-bars, but still....

My players just about fainted when I told them how far 1 inch was on the map that I was using....

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  03:11:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not arguing about distance, so much as the miles and miles of nothingness part (ie. the belief that the "empty" spaces on the map of Faerun literally have nothing in them--no settlements, enclaves, etc.).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Von Seossk
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2006 :  17:45:19  Show Profile  Visit Von Seossk's Homepage Send Von Seossk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh yeah...I used to use it all the time. One of my favorite characters was a Lizard Folk that I built around that book, though it unfortunetly seemed like I was the only person that I knew that cared one bit about it. It's a great source book for making enemies that aren't the typical stuff that most DMs throw around. Yuan-ti show that Drow, Liches, and Cults aren't the only villains that can make multilayered plots. It's also really good for anyone who wants to play a scaled one...which I personally hope more people do, as with some thought, they could probably make really good PCs, and if you need more novel reference, there's of course Dragonbait from Finder's Stone (good evidence that scaled ones can be good aligned), and then the HOuse of Serpents series, which is all about Hlondeth, and the Yuanti, not to mention being one of the first books to prominently feature psionics.
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  18:43:15  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the book. It's 'David Icke meets Elminster', and satisfies all my desires for twisted Reptoid conspiracies in the Realms. ;)

Though for this to have that real paranoid crackle that Icke's lunacy does, you'd have to retcon many of the most powerful mages of the Realms as serpent-folk. Elminster the Sarrukh, anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Brakkart
Acolyte

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  02:02:52  Show Profile  Visit Brakkart's Homepage Send Brakkart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did use the book extensively during the run of my "Rise of the Snakemen" campaign, which had an overall plotline extrapolated from the Dungeon module "Slave Vats of the Yuan-Ti". During the course of the campaign the party battled lizardfolk and yuan-ti in the Mere of Dead Men, Fangs of Sseth cultists in Baldur's Gate & Waterdeep, consulted the Seer at Procarlith, stormed Ssinthee'ssaree and destroyed the Cult of the Dragon cell in Hlondeth.

One of the best Realms books I've ever bought short of the FRCS itself.

Read my blog at: http://tauntonian.blogspot.com Here I post ramblings, book reviews, song lyrics and assorted weirdness.

Check out my "Rise of the Snakemen" Forgotten Realms Story Hour. http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100196
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  11:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brakkart

...consulted the Seer at Procarlith...

In the campaign I'm running the PCs have something of an ongoing relationship with The Seer, in their race against time with agents of Sseth and Set and a whole heap of other nasties to find the Mhairshaulk Emeralds.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2006 :  13:48:41  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

[quoteNot arguing about distance, so much as the miles and miles of nothingness part (ie. the belief that the "empty" spaces on the map of Faerun literally have nothing in them--no settlements, enclaves, etc.).

Ha! Welcome to Canada!

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  02:51:56  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't made use of it yet but am looking forward to using it. I kept thinking about NWN CRPG when I read it though...

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

wildmage
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  03:20:16  Show Profile  Visit wildmage's Homepage Send wildmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to second (or third, tenth, etc...) that I look forward to using material from Serpent Kingdoms in a campaign! I think this is one of the most inspiring FR tomes I own in terms of reading a few pages and having a whole campaign idea pop into my head. I thoroughly enjoy the descriptions and lore of the different scalykind races, I'm a fan of most of the new monsters presented in this book, and I really like most of whats written in the locations section that makes up the later part of the book. The maps available online at the Wizards website round out this all in all excellent piece of FR gaming literature.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2006 :  16:25:43  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lack of maps obviously was a big issue with me as well. I, however really like Serpent Kingdoms and completely disagree with msatran. I think the varied history is something fresh and some sketches out an otherwise blank gap in the history of faerun. If someone wants more info for the dales etc then that's fine by me. I just think since there are already scores of books about them that something fresh might be a good thing.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000