Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Serpent Kingdoms- anyone using it?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  10:29:09  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eremite

I really like the ideas you posted. I might try the same but set in Uthmere.

Thanks! Let me know how this turns out, I'd be interested.

Bocklin
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  23:02:26  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a sweet little adventure in Dungeon #130 for 1st level characters that could serve as the perfect opening act of a serpent-focused campaign.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  06:28:48  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

There's a sweet little adventure in Dungeon #130 for 1st level characters that could serve as the perfect opening act of a serpent-focused campaign.

--Eric

Are you talking about that Kyuss stuff? I believe you've adapted the series to FR on the Paizo website yes? Thanks for being so nice to us and catering to our FR needs, by the way, but I was wondering which god/organization would spawn "The Kyuss Worms" in the Realms, or preferably, if there is an existing FR monster that could be adapted/shoehorned to fit the module better? Sorry if I missed something out of the Age of Worm to FR adaptation document: I was at work and only had a very limited time to skim over it...

Any insight would be appreciated! :)
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  06:33:15  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric's refering to The Within the Circle module in 130

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  10:15:29  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep. That's a 1st level scenario set in the Dales (Featherdale I think). The short write-up on Paizo's website referred to goblins, but I assume from Eric's post that some "scaly menace" is hiding behind the lower goblinoids...

Sounds exciting, I look forward to reading it.

Bocklin

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Eric's refering to The Within the Circle module in 130

Edited by - Bocklin on 01 Dec 2005 10:16:25
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  11:08:48  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight
Are you talking about that Kyuss stuff?

Actually I was taking about the "Within the Circle" module by Sam Brown in issue #130.

quote:
I believe you've adapted the series to FR on the Paizo website yes?

That's me.

quote:
Thanks for being so nice to us and catering to our FR needs, by the way, but I was wondering which god/organization would spawn "The Kyuss Worms" in the Realms, or preferably, if there is an existing FR monster that could be adapted/shoehorned to fit the module better? Sorry if I missed something out of the Age of Worm to FR adaptation document: I was at work and only had a very limited time to skim over it...

Any insight would be appreciated! :)

I'm not sure I understand the question.

The god/organization behind the Kyuss worms (in my adaptation) is Kyuss. Rather than replace him with a Realms equivalent, I decided to add him to the Realms if you decide to run the adventure. His Realms backstory is being revealed in the conversions, although there is an unexpected Realms god behind Kyuss who I won't name here as it's not a spoiler thread. (I'm not trying to be mysterious in general either ... I've only seen a little more than you have, so I'm trying not to box myself into a corner.) This god behind Kyuss is an additional Realms-only subplot behind the main plot.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  13:15:46  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
This god behind Kyuss is an additional Realms-only subplot behind the main plot.

--Eric

Which is, without revealing anything, very very nice. I look forward to seeing the details of it, but if seems to fit perfectly in the older FR lore.

I also love the way you have adapted the last two adventures to Waterdeep. The links to the existing families and to the local setting are great.

Thanks a lot for your hard work, Eric!

Bocklin
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  21:20:13  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bocklin
I also love the way you have adapted the last two adventures to Waterdeep. The links to the existing families and to the local setting are great.

Thanks a lot for your hard work, Eric!

Bocklin

Glad you liked the conversions. I haven't heard any other feedback on the last two conversions (unlike the earlier ones), so I was starting to get worried.

Note that the Lady Aridarye plot thread is built from Steven's most excellent article in Polyhedron #93.

--Eric

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 01 Dec 2005 21:28:51
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  22:17:48  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Glad you liked the conversions. I haven't heard any other feedback on the last two conversions (unlike the earlier ones), so I was starting to get worried.

Note that the Lady Aridarye plot thread is built from Steven's most excellent article in Polyhedron #93.

--Eric

Ah! I did not know. It took me 15 years of RPGing before coming to the FR, so I am ignorant of most of the older lore. Seeing the older material being so weaved into the new stories is quite useful: it's a chance to discover what people had done years before I heard about "Mystra" for the first time.

Regarding feedback on the convertion notes, my feeling is that most gaming groups are dragging a bit behind the Adventure Path. An adventure every month is quite a lot for those of us who have a job. If I get to actually play once a month I consider myself lucky! I wonder how you guys manage to freelance for WotC on top of your day job!

So I think that once those playing AoW in the FR will leave the Lizard Marsh and get to Waterdeep you'll start to receive more praises!

Bocklin
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  12:56:25  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now it's been half a year since we discussed it, has anyone used the Serpent Kingdoms much?
Go to Top of Page

Darrin Drader

16 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2006 :  21:10:56  Show Profile  Visit Darrin Drader's Homepage Send Darrin Drader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Now it's been half a year since we discussed it, has anyone used the Serpent Kingdoms much?

It's an integral part of a project I'm finishing up right now.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2006 :  21:49:26  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As is becoming a habit rapidly I will put a few hints here and there, but if anything comes from it isn't up to me...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2006 :  21:51:28  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mmmmm no. I try every now and then to get some mileage out of this book, but still no luck. I enjoyed reading it though

IMO there are two kinds of good FR books: books to drag along to every session (Players Guide to Faerun, Forgotten Realms Adventures, Mysteries of the Moonsea), and books to leave on the bedside table (Lost Empires of Faerun). Serpent Kingdoms is definitively the later.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2006 :  01:19:41  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darrin Drader

quote:

Hm . . . a follow up product to Serpent Kingdoms? Anything else we can pry out of you?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2006 :  01:25:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:
Originally posted by Darrin Drader

quote:

Hm . . . a follow up product to Serpent Kingdoms? Anything else we can pry out of you?

I think hes talking about the MoM Web enhancement (Phlan) Darrin mentioned else where that hes including Sarrukh stuff in the WE

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2006 :  01:28:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, that's cool as well . . . thanks for reminding me of that Dargoth, it had slipped my mind.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2006 :  07:20:16  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mainly use it for the Tren. My players just hate running up against those
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2006 :  17:55:18  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I am back, a long train journey on a, in the words of the immortal Joe Walsh, rocky mountain way, is behind me.

Serpent Kingdoms is among the book I have used most of the 3ed books. The information about the Western Heartlands and the pieces of history from the same region have seen the most use. Some bits of snakelore have been used to flesh out the customs and beliefs of the region.

The rest of the book have mostly been a fun read until now.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2006 :  21:36:36  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Well, I am back, a long train journey on a, in the words of the immortal Joe Walsh, rocky mountain way, is behind me.

Pardon the off topicness, but doesn't rocky mountain way pretty much sum up getting out of the door in Norway?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  01:12:40  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by Kajehase
Pardon the off topicness, but doesn't rocky mountain way pretty much sum up getting out of the door in Norway?

Well as I live in a hundred year old wooden house built on an old mire that makes the house tilt in all directions at once, I sometimes get the feeling that I don't even have to leave the house.

And you are pardoned.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  02:10:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a topic here, I'm sure of it...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  14:24:44  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
COPIED AND PASTED FROM THE WOTC PRODUCT FORUM THINGER DOWN THERE.

Well I use it. In fact my whole campaign hinges on it, being that it's set in Lapliiya and The Chultan Peninsula 'n all.

The Yuan-Ti are great foes. Individually powerful but with enough subraces, slaves, and lesser races of 'scaled ones' to provide opposition to any level of party. My group started at 1st level, are now on the cusp of 4th level and have only just met their first Yuan-Ti (even though she's not an opponent she's facilitated their work against a rival Yuan-Ti House).

Yuan-Ti satisfy my DM's need for thick, multi-layered plots, betrayal, and behind-the-scenes manipulation. Plus the fact that the Mulhorandi deity Set is masquerading as the Yuan-Ti deity Sseth, lets me indulge my Old Empires obsession as well.

It's a good book, but I do bemoan the absence of maps. Even if one was made available on the WotC site. I would've gladly paid a bit more for a great map or two included with the product.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  16:12:25  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

COPIED AND PASTED FROM THE WOTC PRODUCT FORUM THINGER DOWN THERE.

Well I use it. In fact my whole campaign hinges on it, being that it's set in Lapliiya and The Chultan Peninsula 'n all.

The Yuan-Ti are great foes. Individually powerful but with enough subraces, slaves, and lesser races of 'scaled ones' to provide opposition to any level of party. My group started at 1st level, are now on the cusp of 4th level and have only just met their first Yuan-Ti (even though she's not an opponent she's facilitated their work against a rival Yuan-Ti House).

Yuan-Ti satisfy my DM's need for thick, multi-layered plots, betrayal, and behind-the-scenes manipulation. Plus the fact that the Mulhorandi deity Set is masquerading as the Yuan-Ti deity Sseth, lets me indulge my Old Empires obsession as well.

It's a good book, but I do bemoan the absence of maps. Even if one was made available on the WotC site. I would've gladly paid a bit more for a great map or two included with the product.

It is available on the WoTC website. I intended for the maps to be in the book.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2006 :  17:58:41  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are the maps:
http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mw/20051213a
Go to Top of Page

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  16:14:38  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Here are the maps:
http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mw/20051213a

[looks at 'tunnels' map]
Holy crap!
Is it just me, or does that place crawl with snake-things and nasty locales? I mean, I thought the WH were supposed to be nothing but "miles and miles of miles and miles"?

Huh - so much for a 'nice, safe trip' from Evereska to Cormyr for one of my chars....
[/digression]

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerūn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerūn, Player's Guide to Faerūn, Power of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  22:14:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trace_Coburn
I mean, I thought the WH were supposed to be nothing but "miles and miles of miles and miles"?

That's not a fact, just what certain ignorant people think.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  01:04:12  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if people 'do' give the High Moor a wide berth, and keep to the roads to the south, the miles and miles thing is 'still' true...
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  04:01:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well remember that the map doesn't tell you everything.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  11:55:51  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It is available on the WoTC website. I intended for the maps to be in the book.

--Eric

Yep Yep, I already had it from there but would have preferred maps included with the book, although I understand that's not your fault.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  00:03:18  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering that that map covers an area about the size of the British Isles, it doesn't show a high density of serpent stuff -- there are indeed miles and miles between all those locations.

(I've remarked before that certain misconceptions about the Realms wouldn't occur if people read the map scales, but maybe these distances seem small to Americans. They aren't small to me, or to folk of Faerūn.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000