Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Bane vs Cyric
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dark_Lord
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2003 :  21:59:49  Show Profile Send Dark_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I would like to know your opinion about who is the strongest god.. BANE or cyric..
I believe the Bane is the all powerful god and Cyric is just a foolish x-mortal with a mental problem and the scum of the earth as worshippers..

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  14:50:42  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Be not proud, Bane-ites...for your lord too once walked the Realms as a mortal at one time...indeed, Bane too is an "ex-mortal".

I prefer Cyric...he is NOT monolithically evil (as in he does not believe he is evil, does not ally with others merely because they are evil, etc.), which I think is much more interesting. He is not constrained to the Lawful alignments, and thus is not as easily tricked into bending to the will of mortals as Bane is (see the Avatar Trilogy). I think that Cyric will probably NEVER overthrow Bane because he is too unstable and not as patient as Bane, but I think that his ruthlessness and calculating villainy is much more intriguing than Bane's brutal, borish tactics....

But that's just me....what do I know about evil...?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Dark_Lord
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  17:44:18  Show Profile Send Dark_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bane is by far the smarter and more farsighted of the two evil gods. Cyric is a bully who had his power given to him by a relatively uncaring overgod; AO would have given someone the jobs bane, myrkul and bhaal held....i doubt AO would have been that picky about who got the job. Cyric was small-minded and petty, and he remains that way,even now that he's a DR 17 greater god.

Bane, on the other hand, is a farsighted long-range planner. Bane knew full well that stealing the tablets of fate could blow up in his face, instead of catapulting him to overgodhood, so he planned for an eventual return from whatever punishment AO might enact. Bane didn't get his initial godhood given to him....no, he TOOK it, in true tyrant fashion. Whereas Cyric is petty and small-minded,Bane dreams big dreams and then thinks up logical and plausible ways for him to attain those dreams.

Cyric is a megalomaniac without the genius to enact his dreams. Bane, on the other hand, HAS that genius, and a fast growing church and a unified clergy.

Cyric had best enjoy his few fleeting years as Bane's equal, because in a few years (assuming lathander's new dawn cataclysm doesn't mess things up) Bane will be DR 18, or maybe even 19, and then Cyric is screwed.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  18:46:20  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Lord

<snip> Bane didn't get his initial godhood given to him....no, he TOOK it, in true tyrant fashion.<snip>

Maybe a little more research on your dark patron is necessary. If you do have access to Faiths & Avatars, I would recommend looking up one of the side bars that deals with a game of knucklebones...

His tyrant aspect as a mortal only got him as far as the attendance of Jergal. That god was tired of doing his job and divided most of his portfolio up between Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul (whho were still mortals at that time.) In otherwords most of his godhod was a gift and a result of a game...
Go to Top of Page

Dark_Lord
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  21:38:53  Show Profile Send Dark_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

quote:

<snip> Bane didn't get his initial godhood given to him....no, he TOOK it, in true tyrant fashion.<snip>

Maybe a little more research on your dark patron is necessary. If you do have access to Faiths & Avatars, I would recommend looking up one of the side bars that deals with a game of knucklebones...

His tyrant aspect as a mortal only got him as far as the attendance of Jergal. That god was tired of doing his job and divided most of his portfolio up between Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul (whho were still mortals at that time.) In otherwords most of his godhod was a gift and a result of a game...

You really think I'm that ignorant?

I can't find that book right now, but the story was called "History of the Dead Tree" or something like that. Bane won, but Bhaal ended up as the cunning one.
There was a line in that sory which goes something like this:"Planes were their playground.”
From that conclusion you could easily state that he deserved his divine status. He took it, not literatury, but through his persistance and hard work.
Also, in one book bane makes the claim that he has killed more upstart gods in his early days then he cares to remember. Here is another proof that he deserved his divine status.
*mumbles something about Bane winning his portfolio in the game*

...Oh yeah, Mumadar... SERVE NO ONE BUT BANE!

Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  04:21:04  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*blinks.. blinks... blinks* Hmm...
*He stands there idly just listening to the bickering go back and forth about two over-egotistical deities that just need to be bonked, receive a swift kick in the wooha and replaced. He just continues to stand there silently, then shrugs and wanders over to Alaundo's Desk and wonders if Alaundo's about to snap from this conversation... he grins at Alaundo and presents his 'EMAL' stamp that is ready to be inked and pounded into the foreheads of certain banites/cyricists... or maybe Banyricists?* Hehe...

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  08:52:44  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by Zacas
blinks.. blinks... blinks* Hmm...
*He stands there idly just listening to the bickering go back and forth about two over-egotistical deities that just need to be bonked, receive a swift kick in the wooha and replaced. He just continues to stand there silently, then shrugs and wanders over to Alaundo's Desk and wonders if Alaundo's about to snap from this conversation... he grins at Alaundo and presents his 'EMAL' stamp that is ready to be inked and pounded into the foreheads of certain banites/cyricists... or maybe Banyricists?* Hehe...

A thread containing a topic on something versus something will certainly raise heated discussions....and being as its a discussion on two evil gods then it will be even more so! Im surprised its going so calmly Ahem, and no, thats not an invitation to let loose your wrath

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  09:42:37  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You really think I'm that ignorant?
I can't find that book right now, but the story was called "History of the Dead Tree" or something like that. Bane won, but Bhaal ended up as the cunning one. There was a line in that sory which goes something like this:"Planes were their playground.” From that conclusion you could easily state that he deserved his divine status. He took it, not literatury, but through his persistance and hard work.
Also, in one book bane makes the claim that he has killed more upstart gods in his early days then he cares to remember. Here is another proof that he deserved his divine status.
*mumbles something about Bane winning his portfolio in the game*
...Oh yeah, Mumadar... SERVE NO ONE BUT BANE!

Having the planes as a playground doesn't qualify one as a god or supreme being... just a powerful mortal. There are others unlike the dark trio who roam the planes frequently, a certain well known wizard from Shadowdale is one of them.
The trio did kill some old and almost forgotten gods in their days prior to becoming deities themselves. Though those ancient deities were not near as powerfull as Bhaal and Leira for example... (not saying they were easy meat... it still takes a lot to kill a deity of whatever rank...) And neither of the trio could have become deities if Ao had not wanted them to be...

In Faiths and Pantheons are three sample 'temples' mentioned, and one of them contains a reference to a deity killed by Bane & co.

Oh and for the record I'm not pro Cyric nor pro Bane. I believe the dark powers are there to allow the light to shine. It's all in the balance as the druids say...

Serving Bane... neah I think not...
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  19:44:32  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*blinks at Alaundo and frowns... whining* Awww... but Alaaauuunnnndoooo... always ruining my fun... *He mutters and walks away from the 'heated discussion' before he actually causes much trouble*

Go to Top of Page

Dark_Lord
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  19:45:07  Show Profile Send Dark_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And neither of the trio could have become deities if Ao had not wanted them to be...

Once again a proof of AO's foolishness. That will be his undoing for the end of time!

quote:

Oh and for the record I'm not pro Cyric nor pro Bane. I believe the dark powers are there to allow the light to shine. It's all in the balance as the druids say...

Yeah right...For the record-Druids are morons.
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2003 :  21:00:09  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where can I find this "History of the Dead Tree" story?
Go to Top of Page

Dark_Lord
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  10:50:16  Show Profile Send Dark_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just like Mumadar said, Faiths & Avatars, one of the sidebars!
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  15:18:10  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just like Mumadar said, Faiths & Avatars, one of the sidebars!

Oh, I thought you were talking about a short story that went into more detail. Hmm, there's a novel I would like to read...
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  16:43:21  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I think that the understanding of who Ao is is causing a bit of confusion on the part of a few folks here....

I am under the impression that to some, Ao is seen as a sort of benevolent, goodly overlord who is doing nothing save strike down the poor evil deities left and right. This is decidedly not the case. In truth, Ao is an EXTREMELY neutral, put-off, cold over-diety who very rarely interferes with the machinations of his underlings, good or bad. The exception, of course, is TTOT, but he literally had to be compelled by some sort of "over-over-diety" to even interfere THAT much....

My point: I don't know where the idea came about that the Bane-ites are opposed to Ao...I cannot find that in any of the canon whatsoever. If anything, they should be thankful, for Bane's resurrection from the dead might not have happened had Ao not seen fit for it to be so....no Ao...no Bane..

And if it were even the case that the Bane-ites made a move to bring Ao down, I think that they might find themselves with a slight case of being blinked out of existence, evil god or no....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Dark_Lord
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  20:04:27  Show Profile Send Dark_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My personal opinion is that AO is some kind of Lawful Neutral alignment...

Baneites are not opposed to AO, nor Bane is. You should remember though that Bane is a powerful deity constantly raising in power and that AO is (once again) standing in his way. AO is foolish master who still thinks that he is unmatched.

If not AO, then somebody else would...

You should understand, ArionElenim, that Bane is not a fool. He will never go directly against AO simply because 'AO' is still the most powerful one.

This thread is about Bane vs Cyric not Bane vs AO!!!
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  22:04:46  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*ponders* Hmm... i've been pondering lately if maybe Ao would be the overall god of FR... and that the other 'realms' (Dragonlance, darksun, ravenloft, etc) of the DnD based games each have their own 'over-god' that answer to an even higherup (maybe old TSR or new WoTC)... tho the end of the time of troubles did make me curious as to who technically Ao was talking to... the 'readers'... the FR creators... TSR/WoTC... etc.... ah well.. that's just me...

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  03:47:59  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My good man, I have a flawless memory.....

That said....I believe YOUR words were:

"Once again a proof of AO's foolishness. That will be his undoing for the end of time!"

Any digression from the topic was brought on by yourself...me, I was just following the line of conversation...

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  03:54:29  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and that was some good foresight there, Alaundo...

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  07:26:04  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArionElenim

Oh, and that was some good foresight there, Alaundo...

Hehehe... as could be suspected in a discussion about the current and former lords of Strife...

Dark Lord, if you do want to have a discussion, try to put in a little more arguments rather then the one-liners you've been using. They almost sound like a Cyricist preaching...
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  14:52:30  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Dark Lord, if you do want to have a discussion, try to put in a little more arguments rather then the one-liners you've been using. They almost sound like a Cyricist preaching...

He suddenly stopped replying.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Dark_Lord
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  19:43:27  Show Profile Send Dark_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As requested by Mumadar:

Lets take all this back to the beginning.

First Bane was a god before Cyric, and Bane had the foresight to see his death in the future. Bane set up a plan of events that after his death he was resurrected again from his son. This foresight alone and the attitude that if I die I'll come back stronger than I was.

Now Cyric may have this foresight but he is too arrogant to use it to its fullest.

There will never be a battle between Bane and Cyric personnally because Bane would have killed Cyric before the battle ever began. And if Cyric did kill Bane, Bane probally had events set up in the future to make his return, and steal the power from Cyric again if Cyric was still a god.

Cyric may have more worshippers but the fools are unable to work together and they are spread out across FR in small or big groups so the "power" of Cyric church is broken into groups if worshippers that do what they want without the discipline of the church of Bane..

Besides every other religion in FR hates Cyric and they have no allies so the church is divided and alone against Bane and his allied gods Mask, Talona and Loviatar and backed up by the Zhentarim. The Church of Cyric may be bigger than the Church of Bane but when it comes to it Cyric worshippers can’t even threaten the church of Bane without getting slathered....

If a church of Bane is attacked anywhere in FR the rest of the clergy will certainly aid their brethren and not to mention their allies in the church of mask, Talona and Loviatar who will be likely to aid their masters mortal followers and even then the Banites can call the Zhentarim for aid. Now tell me what could a church of Cyric do if attacked. Most likely the other churches won’t lift a finger to help a rival church and they have no one willing to help them as Cyric worshippers are hated by almost every living person in FR and as Cyric wants to have all living beings as his followers no other god would even think of helping him.

…Bane's power rises all the time. He has the largest military organisation under his banner, as well as one of the fastest growing churches. Since his return, he has gained more power than before he died.. The people of Faerun never truly feared Cyric. He's a joker with a split personality disorder. The people of Faerun truly fear Bane now that he has returned. The Black Lord, with the aid of his church and the Black Network would trample all over Cyric

C’mon you n00bs. Throw something nice. What kind of FR fans are you?!
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  20:00:39  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<No comment>
Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  20:55:43  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must admit Dark Lord that your last arguement was very compelling. Well written even. I personally don't care for either god but I beleive your assestment of the current power strugle between the two churches has merit and is a possibility.

But as I stated I have no love for either god and do not intend to worship either. If it does come down to it I beleive Bane would win for your reasons listed and for the fact that Cyric, with thanks to his aweful book the Crenshinbad (sp?), is to conceited and arrogant to ask another deity for help. That will be his downfall in the long run. Though Bane will more than likely return to his former glory I think Cyric will remain a god even at a lower status for years to come.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2003 :  13:46:03  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<snipped>
Besides every other religion in FR hates Cyric and they have no allies so the church is divided and alone against Bane and his allied gods Mask, Talona and Loviatar and backed up by the Zhentarim. The Church of Cyric may be bigger than the Church of Bane but when it comes to it Cyric worshippers can’t even threaten the church of Bane without getting slathered....

If a church of Bane is attacked anywhere in FR the rest of the clergy will certainly aid their brethren and not to mention their allies in the church of mask, Talona and Loviatar who will be likely to aid their masters mortal followers and even then the Banites can call the Zhentarim for aid. Now tell me what could a church of Cyric do if attacked. Most likely the other churches won’t lift a finger to help a rival church and they have no one willing to help them as Cyric worshippers are hated by almost every living person in FR and as Cyric wants to have all living beings as his followers no other god would even think of helping him.

Nice argumentation Dark_Lord

Of course I'd find a point to disagree with. Though Bane is listed as allied with Mask, Loviatar and Talona, doesn't mean he has full support of these deities or even that he can count on their 'churches' to help him in a hypothetical crusade against Cyric.
The mentioned deities are more or less subordinate to Bane, but don't do so out of their own free will. Given a chance to distance themselves from the Dark Lord they would do so without letting a tear.

Though Mask would probably initially help the banites in bringing down the Prince of Lies, he is not foolish enough to commit his church into doing so. He'll play nicely along but as soon as things are getting (too) hot, Mask is the guy to 'weasel' out and seek opportunities on both sides of the conflict.

Also remember that Cyric is no longer the mad-man he became after reading his own book. He has been 'cured' of that due to the intervention of Malik. He is certainly a power to be reckoned with, his portfolio of intrigue and lies helps to hide a lot from others, including Bane (foresighted or not...)

Though Cyric's church isn't as (centrally) organized as Bane's, doesn't mean he is weak or powerless. How often have 'guerillas' bested regular army's... (Roman Empire, Nazi Germany, Vietnam, Afghanistan 1&2). One of the things Cyric has going for him is his dominance in Darkhold, two powerfull strongholds in Amn and an alliance with various humanoids. For a deity without allies he still has a powerfull following which Bane wouldn't find easy to conquer.

The lawfullness in the church of Bane doesn't necessarily go as far as temples aiding eachother. Even within his church there's a lot of powerplay. The fall of one temple could mean the rise of another in prominance (not unlike the drow houses...) Only by direct interference of Bane or his powerfull minions would the entire church be mobilized into one big army... which would cause a lot of anxiety with the entire rest of the FR pantheon...
Go to Top of Page

Dark_Lord
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  14:07:55  Show Profile Send Dark_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tell me this.. How would the CoC EVER win an head on conflict with the CoB.. To my knowledge the followers of cyric are either 1) insane or 2) incredible stupid. They will charge right after the enemies and fight to the death without thinking tactical or about their own life.. This may well give them a advantaged in battle against small forces of moron creatures like goblins but against the followers of Bane they will have a hard time.. first Bane clerics are a military organisation and so have trained in close combat and strategy ever since they joined the church. So the CoB should be able to just fool the CoC in a combat by flanking them, leading them into a ambush and so on Also the CoB tend to be better equipped from the armouries of their own church or the Zhentarim.

Also as far as I know Cyric is NOT popular amongst other evil gods either.. I read somewhere that the clerics of evil gods would stop fighting against a group of heroes if they were interrupted by a Cyric cleric... How sad!!
*So much about Mask joining Cyric*

The Terrorism comparisons quite interesting

Real World

1)US attacked by terrorists from Afghanistan

2)US over throws hostile government and drives off or kills terrorists

-----------------------------------------
Faerunian comparision

1) Banites attacked by Cyricists from Memmon in Amn

2)Banites gather every Cleric who can cast Earthquake and go to Memmon

3)Banites destroys Memmon and every living thing in it including the Cyricists

the CoB is not a nice liberal democracy that’s going to care about collateral damage.

And comparing Afghanistan to the CoC is flawed due to the one important detail: The CoC lacks a convenient country of support like Afghanistan.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  00:31:21  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mayhaps I can shed a new thought here...

The problem with comparison of the dieties in question is that the followers of Cyric and Bane do not suscribe to any one pattern of behavior....for instance...

It is not at all out of the question for one follower of Bane to become a bloodthirsty tyrant, and another to be a fair, impartial judge and do wondrous things for a threatened people. By the same token, not all Cyricists are shadowy evil assassins, etc. By this system it is IMPOSSIBLE to compare the two by their followers and say "Cyricists always do 'x' whereas Bane-ites do 'Y'".

To simply look at their "strength" is folly, for the definition of strength is tenuous at best....

Both dieties have a divine rank of 17...which means that by Ao's definition of strength (that their might comes directly from their worshippers' devotion), they are equal.

Cyric has a strength of 30, Bane of 36. Bane's muscles as an avatar are "stronger".

One could argue that as the Cyricists are usually more willing to sacrifice one another, Cyric's church is stronger, however, the
Bane-ites have a stronger bind to the actual church structure of the Black Tyrant...

I think we're talking oranges and apples, here, my good folks, and deciding who is stronger in a direct contest between the two is folly...for in truth, I for one believe they would find a stalemate until another god intervened...in the meantime...mayhaps this is one for Time to tell......

Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2003 :  02:11:29  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Statistically both gods are Divine Rank 17, interesting since that makes Shar the most powerful evil god in Fearun with DR 18. However, Cyric has a larger clergy still than both Bane and Shar as listed in Lords of Darkness.

Cyric's clergy number 12,000
Bane's clergy number 8,000
and Shar's number 3,500

The assumption that Cyric's clerics are mostly insane is probably correct, but that does not make them any less dangerous. Look at Halaster, would you write him off in a battle because of his obvious insanity? Even though Cyric during his brief period as a raving lunatic did play his clerics out against eachother, he has regained his sanity and thus his church is again growing in strength and numbers. If a fight was to come between these two right now i do believe that either Cyric would win because of the greater number of clergy or that it would end in a stalemate seeing as how none of the other gods have any interest in either Bane or Cyric gaining more power, thus they would interfere in some way.

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Stormlord_Rao
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2003 :  06:01:05  Show Profile  Visit Stormlord_Rao's Homepage Send Stormlord_Rao a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric and Bane are both scheming fools,
the Raging One is supreme.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2003 :  10:17:35  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To add another quote to the discussion.

Page 8 Lords of Darkness

...the followers of the Black Hand treat Cyricists in a similar manner, not going out of their way to find the servants of the Prince of Lies, but wasting no time if they are discovered. The Cyricists are more active in their pursuit of the Banites, but the feeling is otherwise mutual...

Seems like the Cyrisist are a little more interested in weeding out Banites then vice versa...
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  04:05:58  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Thread Necromancy!

-Cyric would own Silly little Bane. Cyric killed Mystra with a stick. What has Bane Done lately?

BRIMSTONE/FREE CYRIC

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 28 Jan 2009 04:06:40
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  05:11:11  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the by, does anyone know what the repercussions were of Cyric's being chained up and locked away in his lil boney creepy death-ridden kingdom?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000