Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Favorite Trilogy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

ShadowDragonMage
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2005 :  04:28:13  Show Profile  Visit ShadowDragonMage's Homepage Send ShadowDragonMage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I collect the novels and have read and own over 113 of them. My favorite... wow what a task. I am currently on the second book in the Twilight Titan's trilogy and really enjoy the giant involvement but I would hardly call them my favorite. I would have to say that my favorites are not even trilogies. Prince of Lies was fantastic. Same with the origional Comyr Novel. For some reason I just don't enjoy the books that Ed Greenwood writes as much. Don't get me wrong I would practicly fall down worshiping the man if I saw him. What he has done has changed the very core of my being for the rest of eturnity. The shadows of the avatar trilogy was like a really long distance run... I am still suprised I finished them. I voted for the Icewind Dale Trilogy, because for me it is what started my obsesion. I read it before I even heard of AD&D. One long road trip my step-father handed it to me to read and ever since I have been reading every last scrap of realmslore that I can find. I am beginning to think that I may have to leave my wife and children for some crotchety old game designer from Wisconsin... On second thought... NO!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2005 :  05:49:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowDragonMage

Prince of Lies was fantastic. Same with the origional Comyr Novel. For some reason I just don't enjoy the books that Ed Greenwood writes as much.
But Ed (along with Jeff Grubb) wrote the Cormyr novel?

I assume you just mean the books of the "Elminster Series".

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Sep 2005 05:50:11
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  05:26:34  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings everyone! I am new to the Candlekeep forums. I have read almost all the books up until '04/'05 and I would say my favorite trilogy is probally The Finders Stone trilogy. It is really a hard choice to come up with a single favorite but some of my other favorites include The Avatar trilogy, The Dark Elf and Icewind Dale trilogies, and The Pools trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  05:44:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beezy

Greetings everyone! I am new to the Candlekeep forums. I have read almost all the books up until '04/'05 and I would say my favorite trilogy is probally The Finders Stone trilogy. It is really a hard choice to come up with a single favorite but some of my other favorites include The Avatar trilogy, The Dark Elf and Icewind Dale trilogies, and The Pools trilogy.

Welcome to Candlekeep!

Another fan of the Finder's Stone trilogy, huh? Excellent! I trust you've also read Masquerades, Finder's Bane, and Tymora's Luck?

Interesting user name... I have a female friend that refers to the Japanese band B'z as "Beezy". 'Twas the first thing I thought of when I saw your username.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  05:51:41  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome. Indeed, I have read all three of them but I liked the trilogy more so than the others.

As for my user name, my best friend's girlfriend started calling me Beezy when I first met her (my name is Brandon not sure where Beezy came from). So it kind of caught on with our circle of friends.
Go to Top of Page

the obsolete
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  02:10:25  Show Profile  Visit the obsolete's Homepage Send the obsolete a Private Message  Reply with Quote
out of the choices above. i pick the icewind dale trilogy. the introduction of great evils like the crystal shard and artemis entreri. the adventures throught the trollmoors and mithril hall.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  03:37:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Pipers Youth

Warning: Spoilers!!!

The reason why I liked the Hunter's Blade Trilogy is mostly because Drizzt yet again questions himself and his feelings.

This is the same thing that irritates a lot of us. Every single book, he's asking himself these same questions and trying to deal with the pain of being an outcast drow on the surface. It just gets old, after a while.

Yeah. So does the "rumors-of-my-death-have-been-greatly-exaggerated" plot.

I'm not sure I have an "all time favorite" trilogy, I like a lot of the books for different reasons. Single novels are often great reads, as well--sometimes it's nice when a story is wrapped up in one novel.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  06:05:33  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, the main problem with The Hunter's blade trilogy is it is mainly a reguritation of all the other books, the same issues keep popping up and they are extremely similiar in content. I had read somewhere that the Hunter's Blade Trilogies were suppose to be centered on Drizzt off alone again but it ended up basically beign about the whole party of his friends as well and just ended up beign the same thign all over again. They were good but not nearly as good as The Dark Elf trilogy, Icewind Dale trilogy and then Legacy, Starless Night and maybe even the next one (it has been awhile since I have read them) but afetr book 9 or so they started to go down hill quite a bit
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  07:51:31  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would vote for the Finder's Stone trilogy, the chars appearing (except Olive as sometimes I have pointed out ) are really appealing and strong, (Specially Alias and Finder), their charisma and deepness are very interesting as the complexity of a no-born woman char.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 01 Oct 2005 07:51:55
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  08:22:00  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree, the main problem with The Hunter's blade trilogy is it is mainly a reguritation of all the other books, the same issues keep popping up and they are extremely similiar in content. I had read somewhere that the Hunter's Blade Trilogies were suppose to be centered on Drizzt off alone again but it ended up basically beign about the whole party of his friends as well and just ended up beign the same thign all over again. They were good but not nearly as good as The Dark Elf trilogy, Icewind Dale trilogy and then Legacy, Starless Night and maybe even the next one (it has been awhile since I have read them) but afetr book 9 or so they started to go down hill quite a bit

The main reason I loved The Hunter`s blades what because I am an orc-zealot. Reading about an orc villain with a brain and a vision was fantastic(all hail King Obould Many-Arrows!)

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  18:19:49  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not saying the Hunter's Blade Trilogy was not good or anything. I bought them as soon as they came out in hardback and enjoyed them. I just think that they are just repeating many of the elements of the other Drizzt novels. I did like King Obould as well.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  18:48:16  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am not saying the Hunter's Blade Trilogy was not good or anything. I bought them as soon as they came out in hardback and enjoyed them. I just think that they are just repeating many of the elements of the other Drizzt novels. I did like King Obould as well.

It`s funny. I never thought that Drizzt`s inner monologues were tiresome. Until I came here. Slowly but surely the general opinion about it started to seep into my brain.........Does anyone here know an Illithid-hunter? Alaundo, I`m afraid we might have been infiltrated by a large force of the tentacle-faces

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  19:35:57  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed they seemed a bit tiresome to me, even before entering this thread

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  19:45:48  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

It`s funny. I never thought that Drizzt`s inner monologues were tiresome. Until I came here. Slowly but surely the general opinion about it started to seep into my brain.........Does anyone here know an Illithid-hunter? Alaundo, I`m afraid we might have been infiltrated by a large force of the tentacle-faces

Well met

Nothing to do with me, my dear khorne. And my scraggy knotted beard does not resemble illithid tentacles....despite the rumors

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  07:47:01  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't mind the inner monologues until the Hunter's Blade trilogy and then I grew tired of readign ther same themes over and over
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  10:58:52  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

Well met

Nothing to do with me, my dear khorne. And my scraggy knotted beard does not resemble illithid tentacles....despite the rumors

Then if you don`t know about an infestation we have to ask some psions to investigate the place, since the flayers have hid themselves very carefully.

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  20:10:20  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quajack

I would really be interested in hearing peoples', (who have read it), reasons why the Dark Elf Trilogy is not their favorite. I cannot understand how anyone who has read these books does not consider them to be the best in the Realms.

Eh. Perspective, maybe? Personally, I can't see the appeal of Drizzt as a character or Salvatore as an author, but I don't bother questioning Wow, how can anybody possibly think this is remotely enjoyable? when I find it to be about as engaging as eating soggy cardboard.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  20:16:56  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally skip over all the monologues in front of the books in the Drizzt novels. They are quite tiresome.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  20:51:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

quote:
Originally posted by quajack

I would really be interested in hearing peoples', (who have read it), reasons why the Dark Elf Trilogy is not their favorite. I cannot understand how anyone who has read these books does not consider them to be the best in the Realms.

Eh. Perspective, maybe?

That would be my answer. I like Drizzt, but I'm just not as enamoured of him as many other people are. Homeland and the rest of the DET were good reads, but they certainly aren't my favorites, either for writing or for simple sentimental reasons.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2007 :  08:24:03  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I have to choose one that is listed it would be Icewind Dale. That is the series that brought me into the realms.
Go to Top of Page

Enialus Meliamne
Acolyte

Portugal
43 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2007 :  10:24:25  Show Profile  Visit Enialus Meliamne's Homepage Send Enialus Meliamne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first FR book I read was The Crystal Shard by RAS. I've read the full series now, and this particular trilogy completely, 4 times so far.

Yes...I GREATLY like RAS writing, and I'm not ashamed to admit it either...The beauty of the FR series of books is, the multitude of differing writes who contribute to it. For instance, I have enjoyed most every FR book I've purchased.

Unashamed RAS fan.

Unashamed fan of THE Drow Elf Ranger.

Reader of any author in FR who entertains or weaves a good yarn.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2011 :  03:39:08  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the listed, the Dark Elf trilogy. Very vivid evocations of drow society, first rate fantasy world-building by Ed and Bob.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2011 :  08:29:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There have been many engrossing trilogies since the creation of this thread. It goes without saying my choice is not on the list.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  11:59:48  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the choices available i am going to have to go with The Icewind Dale trilogy as it was what turned me into a fan of the realms and so i will always have a soft spot for it.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  12:02:50  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops Im sorry did'nt see how old this scroll was.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2012 :  12:45:48  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From these Avatar

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  01:25:07  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voting on this poll is like asking if the Beatles are still number one on the billboards...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  01:41:36  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many good trilogies missing but i voted Icewind Dale. I am surprised that the Shadow of the Avatar received so many votes. That series definitely did not agree with me.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 29 Feb 2012 13:53:26
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  02:01:42  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Voting on this poll is like asking if the Beatles are still number one on the billboards...

-2005 was seven years ago. Time is...unfair.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  02:03:17  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was torn between icewind dale or moonshaes. Overall I love them all now.

1000! YES! I am now a master of Realmslore

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

Edited by - Mournblade on 29 Feb 2012 02:03:43
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000