Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Good, neutral, and Evil
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lord Desolation
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  20:28:28  Show Profile  Visit Lord Desolation's Homepage Send Lord Desolation a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
What type of character alignments do you like to make for your characters.

Choices:

Good characters
Neutral Characters
Evil Characters

(Anonymous Vote)

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die."

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  20:32:10  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost exclusively good. Normally C-G, simply because that's my personal tak on life, and while it may make for interesting RP, other alignments don't "feel" right.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  21:37:27  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Puting apart one or other ocasional neutral druid, I´m one of the good guys!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  22:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually play good characters, mostly neutral good, and the occasional Lawful good. I enjoy playing characters bent on the betterment of the society he is in. You know, building orphanages, increasing the defenses of local towns and villages, destroying dangerous creatures and groups in the local wilderness. The whole "No need for reward, I'll do it because it needs to be done." attitude.
One of my favorite characters was a Lawful Good Cleric of Heironeous.
CG is fun too, especially when you are playing in a group of treasure hunters.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  23:27:02  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started out my rpg career always playing chaotic good.. I think it is a very free alignment. Then I explored the darker depths of neutral evil... and I have to say, I like it... even though I probably don't play it right... I am not super evil, just greedy. Anyway, I still love chaotic good, but I am not opposed to neutral evil anymore.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2005 :  07:17:46  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chaotic Neutral was always, always my favorite alignment to.It just seemed that there was never really any restrictions on how you played your character.If I remember correctly.One of the descriptions of the alignment was that a chaotic neutral character "acted out on a whim".Whether it was for good or evil.Unpredictable could be another description of it.You were able to play your character with an edge,and not have the DM say that your going against your alignment.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2005 :  20:38:14  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chaotic Neutral is now my preferred alignment, but for the longest time I was a Lawful Neutral and Neutral Good person.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Piergeiron
Acolyte

Sweden
11 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2005 :  23:53:49  Show Profile  Visit Piergeiron's Homepage Send Piergeiron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the CG alignement, since it resonates with my personality, or at least what i want to be althought TN might be more accurate.
I have one person in my game group who insists on being evil and I just don't feel comfortable with it.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2005 :  02:16:35  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Normally I prefer Chaotic Good or Neutral Evil, granting some flexibility than a Lawful Good or Lawful Evil. Rarely do I take up Chaotic Evil or Lawful Good alignments.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2005 :  03:14:15  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Piergeiron
I have one person in my game group who insists on being evil and I just don't feel comfortable with it.

Does he always play evil and is there a reason if so?
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2005 :  06:55:12  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I played them exclusively, but I prefer to play neutral characters (especially since I lean towards nature types).

I have been though in campaigns where all characters are evil. It definetly changes the play rules somewhat.

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2005 :  13:40:12  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's not really an option for how I would answer this question. How I approach alignment is dictated on the personality of the character I'm playing which is suited for the campaign being run.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2005 :  19:50:28  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed I rather prefer neutral characters, I don't like having the label of "Good" or "Bad" guy in my back. Usually the chars. I play are wizards or druids, that are the ones that more suit to this kind of alignments, or so I think...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 26 Jun 2005 19:51:30
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  05:07:03  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm almost always a good aligned character. Sometimes a neutral one. Reason being, I'm terrible at playing evil. Too much of a goody goody.

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  05:53:23  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Usually good, sometimes neutral. I've taken a liking to CN for a certain character I've created.
I need to explore the dark side, however, since I don't usually have evil enough antagonists in my games.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.

Edited by - hammer of Moradin on 27 Jun 2005 05:55:28
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  14:31:11  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mostly good. But much more important to me, and more typical of my characters, three words:

Chaos! Chaos! Chaos!

Go to Top of Page

Antareana
Seeker

Germany
59 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  10:18:04  Show Profile  Visit Antareana's Homepage Send Antareana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mostly play good characters - lawful, neutral or chaotic ones. I also enjoy my LE Cleric and don't think that "Lawful" restricts the possibilities too much - you are just organized or loyal or might have a moral code, what's wrong with that?
I'd play NE, too, but i'm not a fan of PC kills PC and that's what would happen in my group - sadly

But, as Sirius said, I first choose a personality and then Alignment, class etc.

I don't like CN especially when some friends of mine play it, BECAUSE you could interprete that you can play your character as you want. That's too stupid. Why have an alignment at all then?
And most people do cross the thin line between CN and CE when they try to play CN. It happens too easily. A cleric/fighter/something of Tempus might be the exception ^^

It is all just a past and future secret

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  22:55:54  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In fact i enjoy any alignement, my less favorite is the true neutral... too... neutral (hard to find my words tonight)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  23:04:34  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tell my wife I said . . . hello.

Sorry, I had to.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  14:52:16  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The alignment of my characters comes out during the creation process. I try not to decide on an alignment until I have a strong sense of what the character is like. That being said, my characters never turn out evil, but often range the full spectrum from Lawful good to chaotic neutral. Recently, Neutral Good has been turning up quite often. In my opinion, this is the "purest" good alignment, the end doesn't necessarily justify the means, but neither are you resricted by any sort of man-made dogma.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  17:34:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For PCs, I stick with some flavor of Good... But the concept dictates the alignment. I default to NG (I consider my personal alignment to be NG with Chaotic tendencies) with most characters, but if the concept calls for something else or if it doesn't fit their personality, then I go with something else.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

RedStrike
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  03:57:05  Show Profile  Visit RedStrike's Homepage Send RedStrike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Normally I favor chaotic good and chaotic neutral, but sometimes I do favor chaotic evil and lawful good.

We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  22:54:38  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like neutral because i am myself like neutral.
Perhaps towards good still.
Go to Top of Page

Aleta_Delryn
Acolyte

Australia
38 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  11:27:42  Show Profile  Visit Aleta_Delryn's Homepage Send Aleta_Delryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like playing Neutral Good to Lawful Neutral because I can't stand the being classed as a 'do-gooder palain type'. Also there are some times where less than legal actions must be taken & I don't want my morals getting in the way.

If at first I don't succeed...the wife won't let me forget
Go to Top of Page

Kowarete
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  04:06:24  Show Profile  Visit Kowarete's Homepage Send Kowarete a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of my charaters, which is only three for I have not played very much, are mostly true neutral, so it makes it easy for me to work with a wide range of alignments.

The shadows are my only friends
Go to Top of Page

magnakanus
Acolyte

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  17:10:17  Show Profile  Visit magnakanus's Homepage Send magnakanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the countless pc's and npc I have made my most valued were of several alignments. My most interesting and beloved was Lawfull evil. He was ruthless when it was about gaining power, but he was not bent on all power. Several things were just not worth the trouble. Once he gained his own kingdom the people loved him becase he did everything in his power to protect his own, at the cost of others if need be. The laws were just, but brutal, and only those who did the crown (and thus the people) great services were allowed to escape their punishment. Despite his intense evil he had a huge family, and like the mafia, if you screwed with the family you screwed with papa .
Just goes to show that lawful evil is not always that which you expect it to be. Evil does not consider itself evil, they just see what they do as necessary to draw the world to their kind of order.

All good things come to those who wait...
Go to Top of Page

Lord Desolation
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  19:06:27  Show Profile  Visit Lord Desolation's Homepage Send Lord Desolation a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You all amaze me, are there not any out there that still play the true neutral characters that I so love. True neutral is the best to play because you can one day help an old lady find her long lost child or you could slaughter a whole village of farmers. True Neutral characters do what ever they like on a whim and thats whats so wonderful about it.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  22:16:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Desolation

You all amaze me, are there not any out there that still play the true neutral characters that I so love. True neutral is the best to play because you can one day help an old lady find her long lost child or you could slaughter a whole village of farmers. True Neutral characters do what ever they like on a whim and thats whats so wonderful about it.

I disagree. I think that anyone playing like that is misreading the alignment.

There's a common misconception that Chaotic Neutral and True Neutral types can do whatever they like, and so long as they balance it out, it's okay.

This is not the case. True Neutral serves the balance by not acting to extremes, by sticking to the middle ground, and by trying to make sure others do the same -- or, failing that last bit, trying to moderate what others have done.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  00:53:37  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

For PCs, I stick with some flavor of Good... But the concept dictates the alignment. I default to NG (I consider my personal alignment to be NG with Chaotic tendencies) with most characters, but if the concept calls for something else or if it doesn't fit their personality, then I go with something else.

What he said. Except I tend towards law over chaos myself, for the character, depends on the personality.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  20:28:53  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Desolation

Indeed that is not the way a neutral char should be played. In my view, a neutral char is someone who cares that no great act of evilness or goodness is done, someone who beleives that the universe lays in a balance, and this balanced if broken would bring disastrous consequences in any of the both sides. So is not today I feel evil and tomorrow bad, question, is a self-control question.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  21:50:29  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this is a good complement to your explanation Wooly

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000