Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Good, neutral, and Evil

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lord Desolation Posted - 24 Jun 2005 : 20:28:28
What type of character alignments do you like to make for your characters.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hawkins Posted - 11 Oct 2007 : 19:41:17
I like playing Chaotic good, but in one campaign, my char actually transitioned from Lawful Neutral to Lawful Good. My current character is a CG Aasimar Soulborn 2. The D&D Alignment test tells me that I am Neutral Good, and after reading the 3.5 description of NG I think I agree with it. Somewhat unrelated: I hope they rename the Lawful alignment in 4e. I find it a bit of a misnomer.
Aravine Posted - 04 Oct 2007 : 15:44:57
EVIL! jk
Kairin Posted - 03 Oct 2007 : 08:09:28
I like being true neutral or neutral evil, but I had chaotic good characters too. I even had a chaotic evil character for a while. She ended up chaotic evil by mistake. It was supposed to be a good campaign with an inexperienced GM. But the day before that he and one of the players had a fight. So the GM was in a bad mood and tried to kill us. As discreetly as possible so he could blame us for being stupid, but we quickly caught on. Our characters got increasingly paranoid and thought every person we met were into this conspiracy against us. We started to kill people for imagined threats and accuse them of strange things. Eventually, we all apologized to each other, but decided to keep the characters as crazy evil and paranoid. In the end, the horrible metagaming, bad roleplaying and personal conflicts actually lead to a playable game. It was fun.
Dalmar Amad Posted - 03 Oct 2007 : 03:08:46
most of the time I play neutral or chaotic good. sometimes neutral evil.

I'd like to try lawful evil or lawful neutral next.
Aravine Posted - 02 Oct 2007 : 17:02:36
decidely good. i have a hard time playing most evil characters. i can be a decent LE character. but i have a hard time killing innocents(especially children)
Kiaransalyn Posted - 22 Mar 2007 : 13:20:11
What type of character alignments do you like to make for your characters?

They are either chaotic evil or chaotic neutral.
yargarth Posted - 22 Mar 2007 : 04:08:51
I like to play Chaotic good, for no good reason ;)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 16 Jan 2007 : 01:02:56
I probably said this already, but I enjoy any type of good, and I like them all about equally.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Jan 2007 : 00:48:50
quote:
Originally posted by Grehnar

Beyond the odd cliche from the Order of the Stick, there doesn't seem to be many of us LG-prefering types out there.
But that won't change us!

I've played a couple LG characters. It's just not my preferred alignment.
Grehnar Posted - 15 Jan 2007 : 23:17:17
Beyond the odd cliche from the Order of the Stick, there doesn't seem to be many of us LG-prefering types out there.
But that won't change us!
Sian Posted - 15 Jan 2007 : 05:38:35
mostly i play NG or CG, but one of my best characters i've played is an NE priest of Auril that changed her faiths towards Akadi and a more neutral point of view, slowly turning towards N(NG)
KnightErrantJR Posted - 15 Jan 2007 : 04:53:40
The worst I could ever play anyone was the CN Black Magic User in a Lanhkmar campaign, when I waited until everyone fell asleep and I charmed them so that they would all view me as a friend. I was playing him as completely paranoid, and I didn't even try to get them to do anything bad, but I didn't trust them to be "on my side" without some help.

Of course, this is the same guy that used to carry a broadsword around even though he had no idea how to use it, because he hoped it would make him look more intimidating.

Most of the time though, I play NG characters. In order of most common alignments it would likely be NG, LG, LN, CG for characters that I play.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Jan 2007 : 04:24:33
I would, at some point, like to try playing an NE character who, for whatever reason, is adventuring with a good-aligned party.
Grimbolt Hammerhand Posted - 14 Jan 2007 : 11:22:54
Most of the time I play good aligned characters, but I also played a blackguard once. I liked the Darth Vader style of that character, but after having killed a dozen henchmen for their sheer incompetence and having slaughtered a lot of Ilmater clercis, things became rather boring
Aglaranna Posted - 12 Jan 2007 : 23:43:26
Hm...I usually stick with chaotic good. I can't help it. Sometimes it's fun to mess around with other alignments, but it's all acting for me. Butt-kicking goodness just comes naturally.
boddynock Posted - 12 Jan 2007 : 23:24:50
I prefer to play good or neutral characters. Evil characters are good to play in small, evil-minded campaigns, but not for long campaigns. Once upon a time, I played a small drow-campaign and I have to confess I enjoyed the campaign very much. But like, I told you, its good for a short period. If it took to long you become tired watching over your back that your "comrades" don't put a knife in YOUR back. (my companions offered me to Lolth so I became a Drider ... so you understand my fears lol)

I also try to give my characters always a bad habit ... even when they are lawful good. (even a lawful good paladin can have a bad habit ... maybe he is a lil' bit gruff, have a bad smell or somethings else :))
GothicDan Posted - 09 Sep 2006 : 18:46:17
Let's see. Off the top of my head, the number of characters I've had of the various alignments -

LG: 2
NG: 3
CG: 3

LN: 3
TN: 2
CN: 1

LE: 2
NE: 3
CE: 2

So, a pretty even spread for the most part. But I DO tend towards 'extremes' of alignments. I play characters that are VERY Chaotic Good, or VERY Lawful Evil, etc.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 08 Sep 2006 : 20:37:19
I play NG 75% of the time, LG 25% of the time...

as a DM I only allow good characters...
Raelan Posted - 08 Sep 2006 : 15:08:07
Personally, I prefer good alignments. I've got a rather cynical worldview in real life, so playing in a setting in which hope actually exists and one can help others without totally screwing himself over in the process is something I cherish.
Jorkens Posted - 08 Sep 2006 : 11:28:09
I actually don't use alignment that much any more and I generally DM, but if a backup npc is needed to strengthen the group I prefer NG or CG. The only alignment I am uncomfortable with using even as a DM is CN.
Mr. Wilson Posted - 08 Sep 2006 : 11:02:02
This is old, but I answered Neutral, usually LN. I have to admit, the most fun I ever had was playing a character who waffled between LE and LN, followed closely up by a LG Monk with a 6 Int.

That said, I can play any alignment, though I dislike playing CE.
Zimme Posted - 08 Sep 2006 : 10:19:54
I play both good and evil, must have variation! ;)
Lord Desolation Posted - 19 Aug 2005 : 22:17:41
You can always play a truly evil character that doesnt have to kill all that comes in his path. I have played evil characters that have done unspeakable evils to simple people. But the evil character does have a sense of order and justice, and will join a party for the company of an intelecual wizard or to further his goals.
Mournblade Posted - 13 Aug 2005 : 03:34:29
quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

My reasoning behind the loyalty to my companions was as follows : strong companions are hard to find, loyal ones harder. Best not lose these. It has been a very profitable group of adventurers with a fair share of luck, and more than its share of intelligent people. (the lowest int in the party was 14, lowest wis was 12). They have few bad habits, didn't pick random fights, and they knew lots of important people who like them and tend to owe them favors.
They have also been very supportive in getting me the magical items and spells I have desired to increase my power. Not to mention that rogue is mighty cute, and very willing.
Plus in case everything goes to the abyss in a handbasket, I know their weaknesses, I know where they live, I know where their families live, etc etc etc.

That is EXACTLY the right kind of evil to play. To pull of an evil character in a good party is one of my favourite rollplaying challenges.

In the live action roleplay I participate in, we have Paladins and Dark Paladins. Dark Paladins are VERY EVIL, and illegal by the lawas of the land. Both Paladins and Dark paladins are FAITH and so are immune to Necromancy. There is a High ranking Nevromancy spelled called Death Slave. When a character is hit with Death Slave, and they have no magical defense, they IMMEDIATELY turn into an undead under the control of the caster. This is NASTY, means no chance for Revival you are dead and must go ressurect. Well Paladins and Dark Paladins are NOT changed into Undead, instead they are just killed (chance to revive). (Kill spell brings a character to the point of 5 minutes until ressurection needed, with a chance to revive them to health.)

Well my friend Pete played a Dark Paladin named Vorn. Everyone thought Vorn was just a warrior. He used to adventure with people but hated paladins. Well one day in our line battle, a necromancer casts DEATH SLAVE at VORN. Vorn did NOT turn into undead and was just killed. Everyone started asking... Is Vorn a paladin? then their eyes got wide, no he is NO paladin. Only ONE other choice.

So he was outed, banished, and became a GREAT VILLAIN. (I destroyed him last september however(pats on back)).

He played evil so WELL, that nobody ever knew until an unfortunate incident no fault of his own caused him to be revealed. The plot guys then revealed all the stuff Pete did while playing Vorn. We were all amazed he could pull it off, and none of us Knights knew it.
Fletcher Posted - 12 Aug 2005 : 16:09:41
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

There is a trap I have seen over and over again in playing evil, whether it is chaotic evil, neutral evil, or one of my favourites Lawful evil...

Any one of thes alignments can become the very common Stupid evil.

A stupid evil character is one that does not see the world as a realistic place. They must slaughter peasants, cause sadness, pain, and suffering EVERYWHERE they go. If they have a friend they cannot keep them for long, for they must be sure to stab them in the back.

I don't mind evil characters. But I have been in too many game stores where I see the players just roleplaying out some sadistic fantasy of theirs. This is not the way to play evil. Evil played realistically and smart, can lead to some of the most interesting roleplaying characters available.

I agree. Stupid evil is a constant nagging at the back of your mind. Almost as nagging as those blasted kids who keep coming around to try to ruin everything.
I played a neutral Evil character, I didn't let the other players know I was evil. They found out around ninth level when only good aligned people could enter an area, and I was unable to enter. They were horrified to have supported an evil character.
Although, the revelation of my alignment explained a lot of my characters attitudes desires and behaviors. They had thought I was a little on the extreme side of good, but still an OK person. The players treated me a little differently after that, but they still were more than willing to keep the support of a powerful evoker, who had many times over proven extreme loyalty to companions.

My reasoning behind the loyalty to my companions was as follows : strong companions are hard to find, loyal ones harder. Best not lose these. It has been a very profitable group of adventurers with a fair share of luck, and more than its share of intelligent people. (the lowest int in the party was 14, lowest wis was 12). They have few bad habits, didn't pick random fights, and they knew lots of important people who like them and tend to owe them favors.
They have also been very supportive in getting me the magical items and spells I have desired to increase my power. Not to mention that rogue is mighty cute, and very willing.
Plus in case everything goes to the abyss in a handbasket, I know their weaknesses, I know where they live, I know where their families live, etc etc etc.
Mournblade Posted - 11 Aug 2005 : 21:47:57
There is a trap I have seen over and over again in playing evil, whether it is chaotic evil, neutral evil, or one of my favourites Lawful evil...

Any one of thes alignments can become the very common Stupid evil.

A stupid evil character is one that does not see the world as a realistic place. They must slaughter peasants, cause sadness, pain, and suffering EVERYWHERE they go. If they have a friend they cannot keep them for long, for they must be sure to stab them in the back.

I don't mind evil characters. But I have been in too many game stores where I see the players just roleplaying out some sadistic fantasy of theirs. This is not the way to play evil. Evil played realistically and smart, can lead to some of the most interesting roleplaying characters available.

webmanus Posted - 11 Aug 2005 : 10:06:19
My preferred characters are NG, and, as DM, I prefer NG male Chondathan human Com1 or Com3. As PC, NG ... multiclass ...
Damian Naïlo Posted - 11 Aug 2005 : 03:34:35
I'd have to agree with magnakanus there. My trademark character (which gives me my name in these forums) was Lawful Evil most of his life (He was originally LN, turned evil with some tanar'ri intervention, and only just recently returned to LN...after some divine intervention). He was a person who most of the time he only cared about his goals of acquiring more and more magic, but some times was a loving and truly friendly person. When someone got in his way he made careful, long-term plans that eventually led either to the other's demise or to his gaining more power. Regardless of his evil, dark, selfish and greedy nature he had some (few) true friends, and he was able to feel true love just as any other person. To the people who knew him, he is a powerful, reliable and outgoing wizard...that is not to be messed with. He was dark, very dark, but it gave some truly wonderful roleplaying moments. That's why I'm very fond of him. None of my other characters have made it as far.

I've played other characters, but LE and LN are by far my favorites. Fortunately, it seems I've perfectly capable of roleplaying any alignment. Playing chaotic evil is not something I'm very fond of, but it's damn fun.
Lord Desolation Posted - 10 Aug 2005 : 22:24:04
You took what I said the wrong way. Because thats the way I play all of my true neutral characters. They bleive that each side of an argument shouldn't have more power than the other. They will step in at any time if they see that one side is gaining the upper hand over the otherside. That is what I had said origanly but only whith fewer words and alot less time. I am greatly pleased that you all have taken the time out of your bussy adventeurs to reply.
Arlenion Posted - 27 Jul 2005 : 18:06:42
I usually play a lawful good character because its just how I think. However, for some reason I can play a neutral evil character as well. In that case it is usually a mage who simply doesn't care if he hurts another if it helps him.

I dislike chaotic neutral, and to a lesser extent true neutral, because people treat them as I can do anything I want which isn't what they are. As Wooly Rupert has said true neutral seeks to balance others actions. Chaotic Neutral seeks to preserve their own freedom to choose what they want to do and hate to be told what to do. Depending on their personality they may disobey the parties leader just to show they can.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000