Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Chat room question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  04:03:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I might be blind....

But I was curious if Candlekeep had any chat software? There's times when there's at least 6 to 10+ of us on but none of us are saying anything..... So it would be a good time to have a real time chat....

But if there is a such a feature, then I'm being blind and missing it. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  04:08:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This has been brought up in the past. It's a good idea, and I do agree with you. I wouldn't mind chatting with other scribes visiting Candlekeep when forum discussions slow down just a tad.

But as I recall, Alaundo said that he and the other staff here at Candlekeep would "look into it".

So Big Al, how about an update?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  04:38:18  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well chat often uses Java these days so should not be hard to add on and should be useable by many (I for security reasons have that disabled for online use). There though might be a concern about moderation of any chat scheme as at times users can disagree, sometimes very heatedly.

It is posible and perhaps perferable to open a genral chat foroum. Perhaps one pruged fairly quickly as oposed to retained as lore. The two most common schemes I have seen are aged out by time and/or amount of data posted or a deletion once a day/week of all posts.

Of couse this will be up to Alaundo and the other staff as to if any type of chat system will be added.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  08:49:17  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

This has been brought up in the past. It's a good idea, and I do agree with you. I wouldn't mind chatting with other scribes visiting Candlekeep when forum discussions slow down just a tad.

But as I recall, Alaundo said that he and the other staff here at Candlekeep would "look into it".

Well met

Hmmm I hate it when my responses are quoted word for word by scribes with such long memories

Indeed, I will look into..... erm, aye ok, ok. My previous attempts were unsuccessful in hooking up the forum with the chat to enable member accounts to cross-over seamlessly. However, I will get back on the case and provide an update soon. It this fails once again, i'll be open to suggestions for other methods and tools.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  09:40:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

Well met

Hmmm I hate it when my responses are quoted word for word by scribes with such long memories

Indeed, I will look into..... erm, aye ok, ok. My previous attempts were unsuccessful in hooking up the forum with the chat to enable member accounts to cross-over seamlessly. However, I will get back on the case and provide an update soon. It this fails once again, i'll be open to suggestions for other methods and tools.

I'm surprised I remembered . This particular topic hasn't been brought up in quite a while .

Still, it'll be nifty if we can get something relating to a 'chat room' happening. And, on the brightside (if you can call it that ), it gives the Furry Hamster another avenue in which to use his remarkable skills of mischief making .

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  11:21:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Still, it'll be nifty if we can get something relating to a 'chat room' happening. And, on the brightside (if you can call it that ), it gives the Furry Hamster another avenue in which to use his remarkable skills of mischief making .

And that's always a good thing!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  16:53:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eeeep,

I think I opened a can of worms with this question. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

LordEverhate
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  17:51:13  Show Profile  Visit LordEverhate's Homepage Send LordEverhate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you guys DO decide to create a chat room, can I suggest you use psionics.net IRC? ENWorld, Realms of Evil, and several other larger D&D sites host their chat rooms there and I think Candlekeep would be most welcome on the server as well. :)

Shawn Muder
Realms of Evil
http://www.realmsofevil.net/
EN World Newshound
http://www.enworld.org/
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  18:09:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last time I looked at IRC some years ago, anybody could claim to be somebody else. Now if this has been changed and a fixed identy is maintained on servers this offers other problems. Some handles might already be in use thus not useable by members of candlekeep that have the same handle. It also would result in passwords being turned over to a thrid party of identities not already used (the latter might be handled with a universal candlekeep password in the interface with ENWorld, but the handshake and valication coding can be complex).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

LordEverhate
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  18:15:54  Show Profile  Visit LordEverhate's Homepage Send LordEverhate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Last time I looked at IRC some years ago, anybody could claim to be somebody else. Now if this has been changed and a fixed identy is maintained on servers this offers other problems. Some handles might already be in use thus not useable by members of candlekeep that have the same handle. It also would result in passwords being turned over to a thrid party of identities not already used (the latter might be handled with a universal candlekeep password in the interface with ENWorld, but the handshake and valication coding can be complex).

Having been an IRC Operator at the server until recently, I can pretty much guarantee that there will be very few nickname conflicts...in fact, I haven't seen any 'official' realms names being used at all. Also, you can register nicknames on most IRC servers now, making it impossible for someone else who doesn't have your password to impersonate you. Even if they did, they would be quickly banned from the server for breaking the rules.

Also, this server isn't as 'populated' as most of the larger servers...meaning that you won't have a lot of clueless people come into your channel to cause problems.

Shawn Muder
Realms of Evil
http://www.realmsofevil.net/
EN World Newshound
http://www.enworld.org/
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  18:48:23  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordEverhate

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Having been an IRC Operator at the server until recently, I can pretty much guarantee that there will be very few nickname conflicts...in fact, I haven't seen any 'official' realms names being used at all.

There have been from time to time official names used by people not entitled to, however my concern with interface with the server includes users ident. You can look at the member list of about 2,000 names and I am reasonable sure that you will find at least one name (more likely many) that have already been password protected. Chosen of <foo>, first name, lastname, a class sometimes. So far I have not found anone else using my handle/nick name that I use here, however other IDs I use and had used certainly have been used by others including a few times net abuse.
quote:
Also, you can register nicknames on most IRC servers now, making it impossible for someone else who doesn't have your password to impersonate you. Even if they did, they would be quickly banned from the server for breaking the rules.
Of course you can only register if the nick is not already in use, right? Also finding out which is imp sometimes becomes a problem.

quote:
Also, this server isn't as 'populated' as most of the larger servers...meaning that you won't have a lot of clueless people come into your channel to cause problems.

Without looking at the channel not sure what is considered clueless, however if candlekeep did do an interface there is the potentional to get some.

Also as i tried to indicate before if I wanted ENWorld to have my password they would have recieved it years ago (or at least one of them). Others might be as protective of their passwords to not have it handed over to another server. IAE unless I am in error of my estimate of at least a few nicks already in use, even a password protected interface would not provide full access for all membership of candlekeep. This of course would be the goal of a chat interface for candlekeep that all members could chat if they wished to.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  02:58:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordEverhate

Well, if you guys DO decide to create a chat room, can I suggest you use psionics.net IRC? ENWorld, Realms of Evil, and several other larger D&D sites host their chat rooms there and I think Candlekeep would be most welcome on the server as well. :)

I'll second LordEverhate's (that name is going to take some getting used to ) suggestion about psionics.net IRC. I've used the system over at RoE, and aside from a few earlier bumps in the road, the chat system overall has proven to be a great addition to the message boards as a whole.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  03:07:04  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll second LordEverhate's (that name is going to take some getting used to ) suggestion about psionics.net IRC.

Alas another thing we disagree with, this time tech.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  03:37:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as a programmer, I'm already intimately familiar with most of the chat software currently available. And I've seen most of the code used to "write" them. And by far, psionics.net IRC is the most appropriate for what Alaundo is (hopefully) planning. It also has the least "program loopholes" compared to a number of other systems.. some of which you actually have to pay significant amounts of money to obtain their use.

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Jun 2005 03:38:08
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  09:04:59  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clearly is Java chat and a security risk, also are other free programs available. As for using another server there of course is advantage in having somebody else pay for bandwidth, however I see that psionics.net seeks contributions now.

An interface with candlekeep entire user base and psionics.net's almost certainly would result in some Ident problem.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  02:07:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So,

I'm just resurecting this because... I'm still interested in this. :)

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  02:23:32  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too...

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  02:26:02  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huzzah! It would be great to chat with the fellow Scribes and Masters of Realmslore!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  02:31:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you've got Instant Messenger software, you can already chat with other scribes so long as they too have the same software. It's simply a matter of exchanging addresses.

I still like the idea of having a whole Candlekeep Chat system though, especially because not every scribe has IM software and even those who do sometimes choose not to present their addresses here.

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Oct 2005 02:32:43
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  02:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An IRC channel would be excellent-now we just need someone to start one somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  02:36:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to make the attempt of hosting an IRC server, but it would have to be tied to SageOS, and unless you all now live in Australia, you won't have access to the requisite software (when it eventually hits the market).

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  02:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd love to make the attempt of hosting an IRC server, but it would have to be tied to SageOS, and unless you all now live in Australia, you won't have access to the requisite software (when it eventually hits the market).

Do we even need to really set a separate one up? I mean, we've seen some discussion of psionics.net as a possibility in this thread, and just setting up a single channel somewhere *should* be enough-hell, if it wasn't for all the talk of security in this thread, I'd just /join #candlekeep on irc.psionics.net and we could go from there.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  02:47:10  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There may not be a way to control handles, though, and that could cause some problems. But then again, I haven't been on an IRC channel in years.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  02:47:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

Do we even need to really set a separate one up? I mean, we've seen some discussion of psionics.net as a possibility in this thread, and just setting up a single channel somewhere *should* be enough-hell, if it wasn't for all the talk of security in this thread, I'd just /join #candlekeep on irc.psionics.net and we could go from there.

Actually, that's a good point.

Candlekeep still has a relatively "small" population of frequently visiting scribes (at least more so than most message boards), so the need for a new server would probably be minimal... And existing psionics.net software would most likely be enough for nearly everyone to chat.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  02:48:01  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, if you've got Instant Messenger software, you can already chat with other scribes so long as they too have the same software. It's simply a matter of exchanging addresses.

I still like the idea of having a whole Candlekeep Chat system though, especially because not every scribe has IM software and even those who do sometimes choose not to present their addresses here.

I know me and Kuje chat fairly often on IM, used to use AIM, but I'm on strike with them.
After being a customer for several years with AOL, they won't let me keep my SN, unless I pay them for Email service which I don't need or want.
One thing that I do like since using IM is that I seem to have full control on banning all those stupid pop-ups that come up through windows.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  02:52:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

I know me and Kuje chat fairly often on IM, used to use AIM, but I'm on strike with them.
After being a customer for several years with AOL, they won't let me keep my SN, unless I pay them for Email service which I don't need or want.
One thing that I do like since using IM is that I seem to have full control on banning all those stupid pop-ups that come up through windows.

Back when the Bookwyrm was a regular here, he and I would chat for hours on MSN Messenger, but I've now mostly avoided that after I recently had the opportunity to view its coding up close. I've actually seen how many loopholes are in the IM software that viruses can exploit to penetrate your system. Yahoo IM has less loopholes and more protective measures.

Of course, when Google IM finishes up with the restructure, I'll likely switch to that.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  02:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

There may not be a way to control handles, though, and that could cause some problems. But then again, I haven't been on an IRC channel in years.

C-Fb

Last I checked, psionics.net did do nick registration, and any sane IRC server should be doing the same.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

Actually, that's a good point.

Candlekeep still has a relatively "small" population of frequently visiting scribes (at least more so than most message boards), so the need for a new server would probably be minimal... And existing psionics.net software would most likely be enough for nearly everyone to chat.

Yep-I'm in #candlekeep on irc.psionics.net now.

My only concern using psionics.net is that, unless one of us donates some amount of cash, then the channel will disappear as IRC channels are wont to do when there's no one in them(and the box I use for IRC doesn't stay up 24/7).
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  02:53:45  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How does one get there?

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  03:50:05  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are all invited tomorrow night between 6 and 7 pm PST to come and chat with us at www.psionics.net

Instructions: Go to URL above. Click on CHAT. Enter your avatar name when IRC window pops up. Type /join #candlekeep

Then have fun! See you there!

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  03:53:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be there whenever I have an IRC client open, which is like from 4 pm EST to 8 am EST, generally.

EDIT: Kuje and I are the only people left on! Come help!

Edited by - Arivia on 25 Oct 2005 03:54:25
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  08:54:27  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I'd just like to point out that this chat room is not associated with the Candlekeep site.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic