Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Chat room question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  08:55:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

I'd just like to point out that this chat room is not associated with the Candlekeep site.

Oh, of course.

Do you want me to stick that in the /topic for the channel?
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  09:06:30  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

I'd just like to point out that this chat room is not associated with the Candlekeep site.

Oh, of course.

Do you want me to stick that in the /topic for the channel?

Well met

Aye, that would be appreciated, Arivia I wouldn't want to start receiving administration queries from folk by mistake

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  09:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Done, Alaundo.

I'll be sure to reinsert it every time I recreate the channel.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  04:06:16  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thinks more people should come to the unofficial Candlekeep Psionic's chat room. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  14:18:57  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll second that motion... every night in the US, and I guess mid morning in Australia, and let's see... well, the Europeans among us would have to be a bit late! :) But anyone that can join, come have some fun with us in the chat!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  15:07:04  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On my way there right now. Stop nagging Now some other of you should join me, it's all empty and quiet in here, I'm scared...

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 26 Oct 2005 15:08:47
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  17:43:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

On my way there right now. Stop nagging Now some other of you should join me, it's all empty and quiet in here, I'm scared...

Sorry, I had to sleep by the time you arrived. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  19:12:43  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sleep? When you could've waited up for me.
Heh, no worries, but they really ought to do something about the echo in there

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  18:55:57  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm on there now, Arivia too but I don't know if it's a idle nick or not.

Hope to see you all there soon!

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  08:57:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just curious as to whether any scribes are still using this?

I've checked in the last couple of days and found it empty. Has the dream of a Candlekeep Chatroom been forgotten already?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  08:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I've checked in the last couple of days and found it empty. Has the dream of a Candlekeep Chatroom been forgotten already?

Traffic started running out a few days after Muad'Dib's post; I'm not usually one to idle in an empty channel, so...however, if you give me a heads up, I'll happily hop on, if not preoccupied.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  09:02:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Traffic started running out a few days after Muad'Dib's post; I'm not usually one to idle in an empty channel, so...however, if you give me a heads up, I'll happily hop on, if not preoccupied.

Well, I was going to check in later tonight (my time) though I'm not sure how many other scribes may be active at that time of day/night...

Edited by - The Sage on 31 Mar 2006 09:05:03
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  09:08:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well, I was going to check in later tonight (my time) though I'm not sure how many other scribes may be active at that time of day/night...

Alright. I'll hop on now, then go watch some Gilmore Girls episodes; I'll check between each one to see if anyone else is on.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  15:59:21  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I for one was unaware that it existed, until this post. Where do you go to get started. Is it advertised as a function on this site?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  16:10:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Refer to Arivia's post at the top of this page for details...

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  16:40:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I kinda bailed on it cause it was just the same 3 to 5 of us. :) Plus, I got busy with these 4+ projects for Alaundo. :)

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  16:42:14  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cool, found it. Thanks Sage. As I stated before, is this something that is known to most scribes here at candlekeep?. I think it is a very cool idea and now that I am aware of it, I would like to participate and see if we can't get some others stirred up enough to do the same

Edited by - scererar on 31 Mar 2006 16:42:54
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  16:55:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I kinda bailed on it cause it was just the same 3 to 5 of us. :) Plus, I got busy with these 4+ projects for Alaundo. :)

Ah... when we had time for the simpler things... eh Kuje?

As it is though... I'm still looking for a way to provide a chat room for us all here at Candlekeep... even if I have to design and run it myself.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  16:57:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

cool, found it. Thanks Sage. As I stated before, is this something that is known to most scribes here at candlekeep?.
It's known to every scribe in that... they are all free to look through this scroll and learn about the psionics.net room themselves. But as for actual word around Candlekeep... I don't think a great many scribes are completely aware of it as it almost always seemed to be the same scribes visiting when it was popular.

quote:
I think it is a very cool idea and now that I am aware of it, I would like to participate and see if we can't get some others stirred up enough to do the same
A general ATTENTION scroll opened in another part of Candlekeep might be the idea then... General FR Discussion perhaps?

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  17:11:21  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A general ATTENTION scroll opened in another part of Candlekeep might be the idea then... General FR Discussion perhaps?

I have to agree with the Sage on this one. I didn't know this existed until today, I just got signed up on there. I think it's a great idea.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  17:15:06  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Ah... when we had time for the simpler things... eh Kuje?

As it is though... I'm still looking for a way to provide a chat room for us all here at Candlekeep... even if I have to design and run it myself.

Yeah, Slave driver... er Old Man.... er Big Al just has me swamped. :)

I'd still be interested in a chat room though, but the last one kinda died after a few weeks. :)

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  18:55:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I apologize to both scererar and Chosen of Bane, both of whom popped on while I was away at school, on a day when I was rushing out the door and forgot to set myself away first. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  18:57:44  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I apologize to both scererar and Chosen of Bane, both of whom popped on while I was away at school, on a day when I was rushing out the door and forgot to set myself away first. Sorry.

Not a problem. I'm just not very Chat Room Saavy and was having some trouble. For some reason it was saying my nickname was "Chosen" and leaving out the "of Bane" part. As we all know, us Chosen's are dime a dozen on these boards so I didn't want to come accross as anything but the Dreadmaster that I strive to be.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  19:04:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

I'm just not very Chat Room Saavy and was having some trouble. For some reason it was saying my nickname was "Chosen" and leaving out the "of Bane" part. As we all know, us Chosen's are dime a dozen on these boards so I didn't want to come accross as anything but the Dreadmaster that I strive to be.

A lot of them don't allow spaces in the user name. So you'd have to be Chosen_of_Bane or Chosen|of|Bane. Or CoB-Guy.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 Mar 2006 19:05:11
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2006 :  02:13:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A lot of them don't allow spaces in the user name. So you'd have to be Chosen_of_Bane or Chosen|of|Bane. Or CoB-Guy.
I'm hoping my own creation will do away with this...

I've seen the psionics.net code for why this is so and I think I know how to "write" my way around it. I'm doing that, mainly, because I want to allow those scribes with fanciful usernames to be able to keep them in a chat session also and avoid unnecessary confusion because of name changes and the like.

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  17:15:52  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow I had been trying to find some chat room to talk to the Sage and Kuje in when we tried to start the Nether Scroll project. If there had been a chat room here that would have been amazing. I still don't understand what's so hard about setting up a 2 even 1 channel chatroom... is it that its expensive? or what?

Anyway one should be a private forum and one public and people with secrets have to share the private forum whose password is mutable.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  01:54:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arranging proper software and the cost of running a chat room are the big issues that need to be dealt with here -- that is, if we want to make it a part of Candlekeep itself.

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  04:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
how does it cost and how much does running candlekeep in general cost
?

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  05:42:35  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

how does it cost and how much does running candlekeep in general cost
?

It costs for band data useage. As for how must a HTML chatsite cost it was 60 USD per year a few years ago. To maintain this forum in total it could be costing 500 USD per years and perhaps more.

Different providers/hosts do charge different prices. Also there can be exchange rates, level of surport and so on.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  05:52:32  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh dayum
thats alot of gold pieces
does candlekeep have any way of amking an income besides donations?

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000