Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Chat room question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kuje Posted - 13 Jun 2005 : 04:03:19
I might be blind....

But I was curious if Candlekeep had any chat software? There's times when there's at least 6 to 10+ of us on but none of us are saying anything..... So it would be a good time to have a real time chat....

But if there is a such a feature, then I'm being blind and missing it. :)
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Red Walker Posted - 28 Jul 2010 : 02:15:12
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

Saw how old this was and I was just wondering if the the Keep ever will get a chat room like Pen&Paper or even Dragonsfoot? Just asking.

John

It's always on my mind. But hasn't proceeded much from that point, unfortunately.

Hmmmm....so it's not even on your to do list eh?

So, that means its soonest appearance could be in the 2020's
The Sage Posted - 28 Jul 2010 : 01:28:37
quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

Saw how old this was and I was just wondering if the the Keep ever will get a chat room like Pen&Paper or even Dragonsfoot? Just asking.

John

It's always on my mind. But hasn't proceeded much from that point, unfortunately.
froglegg Posted - 27 Jul 2010 : 18:44:01

John
The Sage Posted - 15 Nov 2009 : 00:27:55
quote:
Originally posted by goatunit

This may have been suggested already, but you could plug an IRC chat window into a forum thread and then sticky that thread.

Yes, we've floated that idea before. It's one of the options I'm still exploring.
goatunit Posted - 14 Nov 2009 : 21:13:02
This may have been suggested already, but you could plug an IRC chat window into a forum thread and then sticky that thread.
The Sage Posted - 11 Nov 2009 : 14:38:27
It should be. Let me know if it's not.
Hellkeepa Posted - 11 Nov 2009 : 12:54:34
HELLo!

Sure, just give me a while to finish fixing my PC, and ripping the script out of the rest of the system. ;-)

BTW: Same e-mail address as your messenger address?

Happy playin'!
The Sage Posted - 11 Nov 2009 : 02:04:54
quote:
Originally posted by Hellkeepa

HELLo!

I have a snazzy little PHP, MySQL and AJAX based live chat script I wrote, which I could share with you (CK) if interested?

Happy syncin'!

Sure. Send it to me via my ether-mail address here at Candlekeep, and I'll take a look.
Hellkeepa Posted - 11 Nov 2009 : 01:08:55
HELLo!

I have a snazzy little PHP, MySQL and AJAX based live chat script I wrote, which I could share with you (CK) if interested?

Edit: Fixed typo below...

Happy playin'!
The Sage Posted - 10 Nov 2009 : 23:53:45
quote:
Originally posted by Archmagus Brandon

How about an instant message service similar to Facebook or Myspace? That is, of course, if the chat room idea falls through or is somehow unsuccessful.

That's certainly a possibility.

I still tinker with alternate options every so often. But until the basic format of Candlekeep 2 is put forth, I can't really determine which option Alaundo might like to go with.
Aerik DeVallo Posted - 10 Nov 2009 : 21:15:48
How about an instant message service similar to Facebook or Myspace? That is, of course, if the chat room idea falls through or is somehow unsuccessful.
Aravine Posted - 14 Feb 2008 : 16:23:10
according to someone on a site with a chatbox, it's on http://www.cbox.ws/
Aravine Posted - 14 Feb 2008 : 16:05:21
there is a free chat box, appearantly. just letting you know.
The Sage Posted - 04 Oct 2006 : 05:31:43
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Are you writing this for your own use, or are you working on it for Canndlekeep?
It'll be for Candlekeep. I've discussed this with Alaundo already, so he and I have been exchanding a few ideas back and forth.

quote:
If for the 'keep , do you need anything to help with it?
I'm proceeding at my own pace at the moment (which means I'm only getting to work on this two-to-three times a week and then only for about an hour at a time), mostly because I've got plenty of other projects to keep me going. If development drags on too long however, I might put the call out for some help.
The Red Walker Posted - 04 Oct 2006 : 03:13:40
quote:

quote:

Sage, is there a chat sowtware that you think would suit this site well? (Just considering what the software does, and not its cost)
Psionics.net is a good place to start, as is JavaChat.

The reason I'm writing one on my own, in Java, is because I can tailor it specifically to Candlekeep and the current forum software.

Sorry for the delay in replying to this Sage, but the Harvest is on in fll force and I have had precious few moments to spare!

Are you writing this for your own use, or are you working on it for Canndlekeep?

If for the 'keep , do you need anything to help with it?

Thanks!
The Sage Posted - 19 Sep 2006 : 05:31:32
quote:

Sage, is there a chat sowtware that you think would suit this site well? (Just considering what the software does, and not its cost)
Psionics.net is a good place to start, as is JavaChat.

The reason I'm writing one on my own, in Java, is because I can tailor it specifically to Candlekeep and the current forum software.
The Red Walker Posted - 19 Sep 2006 : 03:45:59
quote:

Hence the reason why I said "write" my way around this. I'm developing my own basic chat system.

And it is a feature of IRC, regardless of whether or not you are a server admin. I've seen in done through other IRC software, like One-Chat, and how its been written into the code.

[/quote]

Bynw Posted - 16 Sep 2006 : 16:15:06
Spaces are generally represented with an underscore on IRC. And Candlekeep is more than welcome on the Psionics-Anlarye IRC Network. We are a network founded by and for gamers after all.
The Sage Posted - 16 Sep 2006 : 16:08:39
quote:
Originally posted by xmanii

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A lot of them don't allow spaces in the user name. So you'd have to be Chosen_of_Bane or Chosen|of|Bane. Or CoB-Guy.
I'm hoping my own creation will do away with this...

I've seen the psionics.net code for why this is so and I think I know how to "write" my way around it. I'm doing that, mainly, because I want to allow those scribes with fanciful usernames to be able to keep them in a chat session also and avoid unnecessary confusion because of name changes and the like.

Sorry, but putting spaces in your name on IRC is impossible, unless you are a server admin.
It's not a feature of IRC (and not just psionics.net, but other networks, like DALnet).

Hence the reason why I said "write" my way around this. I'm developing my own basic chat system.

And it is a feature of IRC, regardless of whether or not you are a server admin. I've seen in done through other IRC software, like One-Chat, and how its been written into the code.
xmanii Posted - 16 Sep 2006 : 16:01:34
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A lot of them don't allow spaces in the user name. So you'd have to be Chosen_of_Bane or Chosen|of|Bane. Or CoB-Guy.
I'm hoping my own creation will do away with this...

I've seen the psionics.net code for why this is so and I think I know how to "write" my way around it. I'm doing that, mainly, because I want to allow those scribes with fanciful usernames to be able to keep them in a chat session also and avoid unnecessary confusion because of name changes and the like.

Sorry, but putting spaces in your name on IRC is impossible, unless you are a server admin.
It's not a feature of IRC (and not just psionics.net, but other networks, like DALnet).
xmanii Posted - 16 Sep 2006 : 16:00:01
quote:

My only concern using psionics.net is that, unless one of us donates some amount of cash, then the channel will disappear as IRC channels are wont to do when there's no one in them(and the box I use for IRC doesn't stay up 24/7).

Actually, registration of nicks AND channels are free. Becoming a CS gives you additional perks, that you can view herehttp://www.psionics.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=CS action=display num=1120460724 (can't seem to make the link clickable, my apologies)
Channels will lose there registration (meaning anyone can register them for "ownership") after 28 days of non-use by an op or owner.
The same goes for nicks.
xmanii Posted - 16 Sep 2006 : 15:55:08
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Clearly is Java chat and a security risk, also are other free programs available. As for using another server there of course is advantage in having somebody else pay for bandwidth, however I see that psionics.net seeks contributions now.

An interface with candlekeep entire user base and psionics.net's almost certainly would result in some Ident problem.

As a server admin on psionics.net, I think I can answer this (and will be showing Bynw this post as well so he can chime in).
Bynw, the owner of psionics.net has had that up for a long time.
I know EN World allows you to get perks for donating or buying stuff from them, it is the same way on psionics.net.

As for the "interface", while it may happen, IMO, I don't think it will be a major issue. If someone has your nick, you can always add something to end (like ` or 1 for example).
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 02 Sep 2006 : 19:59:33
my brother is the member amaunuroth and maybe he could program something since he is a compsci major and going back for his masters
Kentinal Posted - 02 Sep 2006 : 18:22:49
Well there ae free scripts out there, depending on what you want it to look like.

There are I believe two html proframs out there a little dated.

I seem to recall a free java driven chat as well, but I would need to check on that to be sure.

One thing that might be hard to find is a program that will auto regeriter all existing members.
Alaundo Posted - 02 Sep 2006 : 17:38:43
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

and by adequate i also assume you mean free...

Well met

It would certainly help

I'm open to all options however, so if anyone has any recommendations or suggestions, feel free to email me.
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 02 Sep 2006 : 17:25:45
and by adequate i also assume you mean free...
Alaundo Posted - 02 Sep 2006 : 10:20:15
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

oh dayum
thats alot of gold pieces
does candlekeep have any way of amking an income besides donations?

There are three basic ways to pay for a web presence.

Donation
Advertising
User fee

I see no sdvertising and do not pay a user fee.

It can be posible to get a grant (another way of saying donation), however I suspect Candlekeep is not a likely canidate for such.

Well met

Indeed, we appreciate any donations (via the Paypal link on the home page), but advertising isn't something I ever wanted to put in place at Candlekeep. For one, I believe it ruins the whole feel and look of a site having banners riddled throughout the pages. Secondly, i'm not sure how WotC would react if we were seen to be making money in some way.

I'd certainly like to apply a chat room facility here, but again, it comes down to finding adequate software for the job.
Kentinal Posted - 02 Sep 2006 : 06:17:39
quote:

oh dayum

There are three basic ways to pay for a web presence.

Donation
Advertising
User fee

I see no sdvertising and do not pay a user fee.

It can be posible to get a grant (another way of saying donation), however I suspect Candlekeep is not a likely canidate for such.
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 02 Sep 2006 : 05:52:32
oh dayum
Kentinal Posted - 02 Sep 2006 : 05:42:35
quote:

how does it cost and how much does running candlekeep in general cost
?

It costs for band data useage. As for how must a HTML chatsite cost it was 60 USD per year a few years ago. To maintain this forum in total it could be costing 500 USD per years and perhaps more.

Different providers/hosts do charge different prices. Also there can be exchange rates, level of surport and so on.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000