Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sensory Stones
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  02:59:46  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am currently playing Planescape Torment and am at the part with the sensory stones within the Civic Festhall. My question is, do these stones (or a similar thing) exist on Faerun? I know they of course potentially could exist, obviously, my question is not matter of that. But whether or not there is evidence that they actually do exist. Is there any lore of them? My thanks.

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  03:11:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I've ever read a particular PS reference which mentions sensory stones appearing in the Realms, nor have I ever seen anything in a FR tome. And if I have, I've likely forgotten it.

As you said, such magical devices for memory storage could potentially exist in the Realms, and most likely do, but I know of no actual reference that puts them on Toril.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  03:13:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I don't think I've ever read a particular PS reference which mentions sensory stones appearing in the Realms, nor have I ever seen anything in a FR tome. And if I have, I've likely forgotten it.

As you said, such magical devices for memory storage could potentially exist in the Realms, and most likely do, but I know of no actual reference that puts them on Toril.

Factol's Manifesto says they can't be taken out of the Civic Festhall. :) Page 137, "If taken out of the Festhall they lose thier enchantment and become lumps of rock."

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 02 Jun 2005 03:18:54
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  03:14:58  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that elven kiira store memories, feelings, and images, I would assume such things are not out of the realm of possibility, though obviously such things in established Realmslore have been elven magic.

Given that Sigil opens to the entire multiverse, and that Toril has so many portals, magic items that are native to other worlds would likely find there were into Toril from time to time. In fact, many named default D&D (i.e. Greyhawk) items are assumed to exist, so I don't see a problem with it.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  03:16:22  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darn it . . . Kuje managed to slide in before I posted. I was about to point out that some magic items that are especially tied to a setting (such as a Dragon Lance from Krynn) may not function if taken outside of the place they are intended to function in.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  03:19:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Darn it . . . Kuje managed to slide in before I posted. I was about to point out that some magic items that are especially tied to a setting (such as a Dragon Lance from Krynn) may not function if taken outside of the place they are intended to function in.

Sorry. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  03:19:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Factom's Manifesto says they can't be taken out of the Civic Festhall. :) Page 137, "If taken out of the Festhall they lose thier enchantment and become lumps of rock."
Granted, but I wasn't speaking from a strictly rules-standpoint. I was assuming that Dracandos meant that a DM could create a case for a sensory stone existing in the Realms, if he or she so wished.

Speaking from the canon material though, no, sensory stones cannot be removed from the Civic Festhall of the Sensates in Sigil.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Jun 2005 03:23:29
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  03:49:19  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, but to be more precise, my questions are for a novel Im writing set in the realms; not for a DM. But yes, that is what I was wondering about if it would be practical to incorperate a sensory stone into my story. My thanks scribes

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000