Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lord Ao's Followers?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  09:58:05  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, we have a question. Say a person is dedicated to Lord Ao. And suddenly... they die (eaten my trolls, struck by lightening, heart attack, forgets to eat, etc.) What would happen to the soul of that person once they reached the fugue plane? Would they be taken by AO? Remain there for eternity? Forced to be judged by Kelemvor? Any ideas?

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  10:41:06  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most likely remain there. As far as I can tell, even if you don't have a deity and instead focus on an ideal (say, an "independant" paladin), you may go to a plane focused on your alignment. If not, you're still not a Faithless, you just have nowhere to go.

So I think that anyone devoted to Ao will just have to get used to the Fugue. Ao doesn't really care about mortals.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  13:59:30  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the followers of AO are really missing the boat. The appearance of them in Shadows of Undrentide was very tongue n’ cheek, but I take it that there are serious cells of followers. None of my players have ever wanted to venerate AO so I have never really had the issue come up, but I have to agree with Bookwrym and feel that veneration of him is akin to not having a deity at all.

The deities are in place for a reason and for mortals to curry favor from AO is sort of like trying to call the president when your house has been robbed. The deities are there to handle the “small” mortal stuff and AO is there to handle the deities. Frankly I am surprised that he keeps getting such focus since the Time of Troubles has for several years now. I hope the writers are not planning to give him more exposure in the coming years (the first true cleric of AO, the first true paladin of AO, etc )…..

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  14:15:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd actually say it's more like calling up the Secretary General. After all, the president of a country is supposed to be concerned with the people as well. The UN is involved in international matters, and rescue operations on national scales (say, the recent disasters in Iran). Just as the UN is supposed to manage the countries (not that it does much of that, since it's made of the countries and doesn't have much oomph behind it, if I may get technical ), Ao is only concerned with the deities. And even then the deities are supposed to work things out themselves.

So I'd say that since Ao doesn't want them, any followers would be considered faithless. That's in the idea of faith as a synonym for religion, though -- the followers have faith in Ao in the true sense. It's just they would be considered to be without a deity. They wouldn't be considered Faithless, or agnostic in our term. After all, if they stayed true to Ao despite his silence, then their faith is pretty strong. So I'd think they'd just get stuck with wandering around the Fugue. Perhaps trying to convert the other souls waiting for pickup.

"Have you accepted Ao as your personal overgod . . . ?"

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  00:31:41  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't aware of Ao having large numbers of followers. I think there was a cult in Waterdeep shortly after the Time of Troubles but due to not getting any response I think they just 'died out' and switched to worshipping someone else. Also, as someone (Sarta, I think) mentioned in the other thread, I don't think many mortals are aware of Ao's existence.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  02:36:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that F&A mentions that all written records of Ao are being erased from the Realms. It seems Ao specifically wants all the mortals to forget about him.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  04:01:11  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rupert is right. I remember reading about how spells were casted that made sages and bards to forget about Ao over a period of time...

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Krase
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  13:10:10  Show Profile  Visit Krase's Homepage Send Krase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to some sources, there is indeed a Cult of Ao operating in waterdeep.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  13:29:09  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Krase right. There is indeed a real Cult of Ao in Waterdeep. But there is a webpage on the Cult of Ao but somehow that webpage is experiencing technical difficulties, I will post more information on the cult once the webpage is restored to full function.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  13:48:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Cult of Ao is detailed in the 2e City of Splendors boxed set.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Adarin
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  14:20:19  Show Profile  Visit Adarin's Homepage Send Adarin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

The Cult of Ao is detailed in the 2e City of Splendors boxed set.

Perhaps would you not mind sharing a bit more about this mysterious cult?

There will always be parting of ways which is never of your preference.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  17:35:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall, the lack of clerical support has left the cult members turning to other deities. Also, if I remember correctly, Ao has caused his name to start disappearing from all writings in the Realms -- he doesn't want mortals to know about him.

If the cult still exists, it's likely dwindled down to just a handful of members.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  18:14:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As I recall, the lack of clerical support has left the cult members turning to other deities. Also, if I remember correctly, Ao has caused his name to start disappearing from all writings in the Realms -- he doesn't want mortals to know about him.

If the cult still exists, it's likely dwindled down to just a handful of members.

The Lords also bought the building the cult was using and turned it into civic hall. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  19:44:33  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
more writings of him, no one has any memory of him, etc. For all intents and purposes, he does not exist to the mortals of Faerun.

In my little house rules pamphlet that I hand to new players and at the start of a new game, I mention the no AO rule. In my FR game, I’ve already pushed ahead the “AO is forgotten” thing. There are no

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  02:16:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wonder whether they'll receive a mention in the new City of Splendors tome?

Go to Top of Page

Piergeiron
Acolyte

Sweden
11 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  08:25:06  Show Profile  Visit Piergeiron's Homepage Send Piergeiron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm curious about the Cult as well and want to give them a little cameo in my campaign.

Edited by - Piergeiron on 25 May 2005 08:25:26
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  14:30:06  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a question, Ao is some kind of God. Doesn't a god power depends on the followers? O cause his "Overgoodness" he doesn't need worshippers? Or it's cause he was the one that "edicted" this rule?

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 25 May 2005 14:32:19
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  17:04:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius Andrass

I've got a question, Ao is some kind of God. Doesn't a god power depends on the followers? O cause his "Overgoodness" he doesn't need worshippers? Or it's cause he was the one that "edicted" this rule?

Ao doesn't need worshippers, because he's a special case. Either being an Overgod exempts someone from this rule, or he simply decided to set up the worship system the way it is now.

Go to Top of Page

jebeddo
Seeker

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  18:44:51  Show Profile  Visit jebeddo's Homepage Send jebeddo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ao doesn't need worshippers, because he's a special case. Either being an Overgod exempts someone from this rule, or he simply decided to set up the worship system the way it is now.

Correct. At the end of the book Waterdeep in the avatar series, Ao decreed that the powers of gods must be dependant on their worshipers. Since it was a system established by himself, Ao would naturally make himself exempt from this rule.

"Only half-orcs rush in where devas fear to tread."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  02:44:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

His Overgod status likely exempts him from the rule as well. Perhaps the fact that Ao gains his great power from another source entirely, suggests that he does not require access to worshippers for divine power.

Interestingly, as an aside to this, would you actually consider Ao's power to be "divine", at least in the traditional sense? I believe it is actually something more than that. Perhaps s type of power that only creator/overgod types can access... something that resides in the background or fabric of the multiverse itself -- "creation energy" left behind from the origins of all reality.

Edited by - The Sage on 26 May 2005 02:46:11
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  09:26:58  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think, and I'm speaking under huge correction here since I'm sort of out of place amongst the sages, but to say that Ao doesn't - or rather - didn't care about mortals isn't strictly accurate. I seem to remember that in one of the noble's series, possibly King's Pinch or something like that, there is an Orcish Paladin (strange enough on its own) who gets killed and because he is devoted to Ao, is resurrected by the OverGod directly. If I recall the text correctly, this was the first and last time he interfered directly, but is still maybe relevant to the discussion

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  09:56:02  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MuadDib

I think, and I'm speaking under huge correction here since I'm sort of out of place amongst the sages, but to say that Ao doesn't - or rather - didn't care about mortals isn't strictly accurate. I seem to remember that in one of the noble's series, possibly King's Pinch or something like that, there is an Orcish Paladin (strange enough on its own) who gets killed and because he is devoted to Ao, is resurrected by the OverGod directly. If I recall the text correctly, this was the first and last time he interfered directly, but is still maybe relevant to the discussion

I think it was war in tethyr, and it was an orog paladin of TORM, not Ao. And he didn`t get ressurected, he ressurected another.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  12:14:11  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The villain of the book, however, was following the orders of a deepspawn and leading a cult of AO-followers. He did not gain any spells from AO though.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  12:41:25  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings to all, as I promised I will dig up the information. Well, here it is, I think this is quite short, but should be generally sufficient to say something about the cult.

quote:
Starting in Waterdeep at the close of the Time of Troubles, a new
cult arose, devoted to the overgodly force called Ao. The overgod
appeared at the peak of Waterdeep mountain at the end of the Time of
Troubles, at which point he claimed to be the creator of the gods
(though not of the Realms themselves). He confirmed the godly power
held by Midnight/Mystra and invested the former power and
responsibilities of the Three Dead Gods into Cyric. Then he removed the
barrier preventing the deities from returning to the Outer Planes,
charging these gods to be more responsive to their worshipers and tying
their power more closely with that of their living followers.
The cult of Ao receives no spells or special powers, and so cannot
be considered a true faith in a land where the gods prove their good
intentions by delivering on their promises. It does attract a broad
spectrum of followers, including mages, rogues, and fighters, including
a number of former cavaliers. The primary alignment of these followers
is neutral, but all alignments may join.
The ceremonial garb of the ministers (not necessarily priests) of Ao
is black trousers and shirt with a long, flowing robe of black dotted
with either white spots or jeweled spangles.
In Waterdeep, the group currently meets at the western end of the
Market, which was destroyed in the final days of the Godswar. They are
currently acquiring the surrounding property with the intention of
raising a temple to Ao on that spot.
The cult has spread beyond Waterdeep into many other civilized areas
of the North. The cult may be little more than a passing fashion, a
reassurance of the powers of the gods in the face of the Time of
Troubles, or may represent a new form of worship. None of the
established faiths have spoken out publicly against or acted against
the cult, possibly because they do not fear it, or possibly because
they fear it a great deal.

Anyway, Kajehase, I would like to ask a question, you mentioned:
quote:
"The villain of the book, however, was following the orders of a deepspawn and leading a cult of AO-followers. He did not gain any spells from AO though."

Can I ask what is the title of the book you mentioned?

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  17:34:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Greetings to all, as I promised I will dig up the information. Well, here it is, I think this is quite short, but should be generally sufficient to say something about the cult.

quote:
Starting in Waterdeep at the close of the Time of Troubles, a new
cult arose, devoted to the overgodly force called Ao. The overgod
appeared at the peak of Waterdeep mountain at the end of the Time of
Troubles, at which point he claimed to be the creator of the gods
(though not of the Realms themselves). He confirmed the godly power
held by Midnight/Mystra and invested the former power and
responsibilities of the Three Dead Gods into Cyric. Then he removed the
barrier preventing the deities from returning to the Outer Planes,
charging these gods to be more responsive to their worshipers and tying
their power more closely with that of their living followers.
The cult of Ao receives no spells or special powers, and so cannot
be considered a true faith in a land where the gods prove their good
intentions by delivering on their promises. It does attract a broad
spectrum of followers, including mages, rogues, and fighters, including
a number of former cavaliers. The primary alignment of these followers
is neutral, but all alignments may join.
The ceremonial garb of the ministers (not necessarily priests) of Ao
is black trousers and shirt with a long, flowing robe of black dotted
with either white spots or jeweled spangles.
In Waterdeep, the group currently meets at the western end of the
Market, which was destroyed in the final days of the Godswar. They are
currently acquiring the surrounding property with the intention of
raising a temple to Ao on that spot.
The cult has spread beyond Waterdeep into many other civilized areas
of the North. The cult may be little more than a passing fashion, a
reassurance of the powers of the gods in the face of the Time of
Troubles, or may represent a new form of worship. None of the
established faiths have spoken out publicly against or acted against
the cult, possibly because they do not fear it, or possibly because
they fear it a great deal.

Anyway, Kajehase, I would like to ask a question, you mentioned:
quote:
"The villain of the book, however, was following the orders of a deepspawn and leading a cult of AO-followers. He did not gain any spells from AO though."

Can I ask what is the title of the book you mentioned?

War in Tethyr. It was one of the Nobles books.

Faiths & Avatars mentions the dying out of the Ao cults, and the fact that he's taken steps to destroy knowledge of his existence in the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  18:01:49  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, 'twas War in Tethyr I spoke of. Much like khorne did in the post above mine, which is why I didn't consider it necessary to name it.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  20:36:07  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Yup, 'twas War in Tethyr I spoke of. Much like khorne did in the post above mine, which is why I didn't consider it necessary to name it.

They weren`t really Ao-worshippers. They worshipped cyric.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  22:16:10  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um... yes and no. The cult-members were copies made by the Deepspawn under Zazesspur of the sons of daughters of influential Zazesspurans once those persons had been lured to the Deepspawns lair by the leaders of the cult.

Any human (or demi-human I guess) members of the cult that weren't in a leading position, though, probably did think they were just worshiping AO.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  06:52:42  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is it demihuman? They can`t use that expression in the realms. If a dwarf heard himself referred to as a demihuman he would go berserk.......

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  15:57:45  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A bit off topic that question, but my guess would be that the term isn't used much in the realms, at least not where any of the demi-humans can hear it.

As for the actual why - it's a neat word for describing all the standard races that's not monstrous, and the reason it's demihuman and not demielven or demidwarven would be that the designers are human, not elven or dwarven. (And a demi-halfling... Just don't work).

And then there's my personal idea - all the demi-human races are just that, part of the human species, but different races than the standard humans of earth (and even the standard Torilian humans may be a slightly different race than the Homo Sapiens Sapiens of Earth).

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  17:59:11  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

work).

And then there's my personal idea - all the demi-human races are just that, part of the human species, but different races than the standard humans of earth (and even the standard Torilian humans may be a slightly different race than the Homo Sapiens Sapiens of Earth).

The eldreth veluuthra have marked you now.....

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000