Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Pre-CoR speculations on the Eldreth Veluuthra
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2005 :  07:06:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In anticipation of the release of Champions of Ruin, I thought it might be interesting to explore some of the concepts that we already know about the Eldreth Veluuthra. Specifically lichdom and the undead.

We know (from both Cloak and Dagger and Lords of Darkness) that at least one of the council members, the Blade Lords, is a baelnorn -- Tordynnar Rhaevaern. However, Cloak and Dagger suggests that among the number of operatives in the Phlarenn, several elven mages have sought ways to prolong their lifespans through lichdom, or through the alternate use of a number of other methods and techniques. At first, I was thinking that maybe the 'Deathless' type from the BoED would represent a new undertaking for an alternative to lichdom for these elven mage assassins. This would seem close to the concept as presented for the Undying Court of the Aerenal Elves in Eberron.

What other methods do you think some of the Veluuthra mages may have pursued in their attempt to extend their lives so that they may continue to carry out their "mission"?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2005 :  07:54:25  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cant say NDA....

I will be rather interested to see what theyve done with the Eldreth Veluthra as I was going to do something with them (or rather an earlier version of them)in my Jhaamdath article

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2005 :  12:04:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing that we'll see: the Starym.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2005 :  12:07:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
What other methods do you think some of the Veluuthra mages may have pursued in their attempt to extend their lives so that they may continue to carry out their "mission"?

One of Eric's epic spells in CoR might be something that these elves would be interested in ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2005 :  12:21:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'm guessing that we'll see: the Starym.

-- George Krashos

And more on the Starym moonblade perhaps...

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2005 :  18:29:19  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... I've a question. Aren't baelnorns supposed to be like a good elven liches? So why would one of the high-ranking members of the Eldreth Veluuthra be one?

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2005 :  00:00:19  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything can be corrupted...

Seriously, though, baelnorns (at least in 2e) were *the* elven form of lich. Elves didn't become lich or archlich, they became baelnorn. And most of them were driven by a desire to complete some task. They were generally good (I think they predated the introduction of archlich to be the "good lich," but I may be mistaken), but that wasn't a general rule. What if an elf lost all their family to human raiders and dedicated his life to exterminating them? That would be a significantly powerful emotion to warrant said elf to possibly explore becoming a baelnorn.

I think the reason we don't see more evil baelnorn is that 2e elves seemed to have the ability to live as long as they wanted and no longer. This meant that they could kill themselves at will, but also allowed them to live centuries longer than normal. The older one got, the harder it was to stave off Arvandor's call. Theoretically, an elf could resist it forever. The question becomes why would they want to.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2005 :  03:23:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Hmmm... I've a question. Aren't baelnorns supposed to be like a good elven liches? So why would one of the high-ranking members of the Eldreth Veluuthra be one?

Before being replaced by Talindra Amalith in the Vel'Nikeryma, Fhaertala Hyshaanth (who was destroyed by the fey'ri who were making incursions into Lothen of the Silver Spires) was the "lich" member of the council. Her 2e stats did not mention anything about a baelnorn, whereas Tordynnar Rhaevaern's did, and has again in Lords of Darkness.

Edited by - The Sage on 01 May 2005 03:26:39
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2020 :  06:48:19  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Dargoth,

Did that NDA issue ever get cleared up (15 years later)?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Cant say NDA....

I will be rather interested to see what theyve done with the Eldreth Veluthra as I was going to do something with them (or rather an earlier version of them)in my Jhaamdath article

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000