Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 A quick question on age...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2005 :  19:04:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm having a bit of a brainfart here... Do people in the Realms measure their age by how many winters they've seen, or how many summers, or is it either/or? And are there regional preferences for this?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Mar 2005 19:04:51

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2005 :  00:48:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly: bards, sages, and scribes (court historians) go "either way" depending on personal preference - - but individuals almost always count "summers" if they were born in summer, and "winters" if they were born in winter (and folks usually consider spring and fall part of "summer" for this purpose only, unless they're trying to portray themselves as "tough" because they were born in winter).
love
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2005 :  03:15:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, my Lady. I was hoping that you would answer.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2020 :  02:27:50  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lady Herald,

Do you by chance know if any countries have attempted to establish norms, i.e. birth records, policies on establishing norms for this kind of thing?

Thank you, and best regards!

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Wooly: bards, sages, and scribes (court historians) go "either way" depending on personal preference - - but individuals almost always count "summers" if they were born in summer, and "winters" if they were born in winter (and folks usually consider spring and fall part of "summer" for this purpose only, unless they're trying to portray themselves as "tough" because they were born in winter).
love
THO

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2020 :  04:57:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd thought Dale Reckoning was counted from the erecting of a stone or planting of a tree or somesuch ... on the first day of Spring? Elves apparently like counting springs more than counting winters or summers, it represents the beginning of a new life cycle, it's the most sacred/beloved time of year for their celebrations.

And it seems to me that most Realmsfolk (in the Heartlands, at least) still use Dale Reckoning so they would likely also use this convention.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2020 :  05:34:40  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

That is a really great point.

I checked in on the Edverse, and here we have it from the man himself!

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2019/01/27/how-are-birthdays-tracked-in-the-forgotten-realms-and-is-there-any-special-terminology-for-birthdays/

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I'd thought Dale Reckoning was counted from the erecting of a stone or planting of a tree or somesuch ... on the first day of Spring? Elves apparently like counting springs more than counting winters or summers, it represents the beginning of a new life cycle, it's the most sacred/beloved time of year for their celebrations.

And it seems to me that most Realmsfolk (in the Heartlands, at least) still use Dale Reckoning so they would likely also use this convention.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2020 :  07:04:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe cpthero2,

Sorry to report the link you provided doesn't seem to support any particular answer to the original question. Unless it's the wrong link or I missed something?

THO has already provided an answer. My subsequent post was really meant to confirm whether I'd remembered different "facts" (in)correctly, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2020 :  19:31:54  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good morning Great Reader Ayrik!

You know, after rereading my post with that share, I can appreciate why that wasn't very well articulated. I probably should have explained more. So, I will! :)

It looks like to me, from what the Old Mage was saying, is that they really don't have anything for determining age, etc., in ways we likely would.

They just use that very general, not particularly meaningful description of days into the month, time of day, etc.

Though, I have to admit, I didn't catch on to that point as well about remembering the facts incorrectly. haha

Sorry about the confusion. :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Senior Scribe cpthero2,

Sorry to report the link you provided doesn't seem to support any particular answer to the original question. Unless it's the wrong link or I missed something?

THO has already provided an answer. My subsequent post was really meant to confirm whether I'd remembered different "facts" (in)correctly, lol.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000