Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 My take on Selgaunt
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Furry
Acolyte

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  21:38:05  Show Profile  Visit Furry's Homepage Send Furry a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Disclaimer 1:
Hi, this is my first post and I'm hoping there aren't any rules I'm not familiar with that I break with this (if there are, I certainly won't take anything being edited out or deleted personally).

Disclaimer 2:
In 6 days I'll be running my first game as DM, I've played in two 6 month campaigns and a couple one-offs so far, but I think I picked up things rather well. I decided I wanted to run the campaign in FR, and specifically Sembia. After deciding this I went out and looked for information, found constructed cities to use a little lacking, so being inspired by the Evereska thread I started off on my own. The following is the result.

--------------------

General:

A large port Metropolis on the mouth of the River Arkhen and the Sea of Fallen Stars, Selgaunt is one of the four major trading cities of Sembia. Ruled by a hereditary prince who is but a mouthpiece of the merchant’s council. Selgaunt is a city of intrigue, made all the more so by the recent addition of a Thayan Enclave.

History:

DR 380: Selgaunt founded (as Chancelgaunt) [found in a thread here]
DR 1273: Ilchammer family becomes hereditary rulers of Selgaunt [Entirely made up by me]
DR 1371: Thayan Enclave established [Compiled history pdf from Brian James]

Geography:

Flora/Fauna: As a bustling human metropolis, the native life of the wild does not hold sway in Selgaunt. Instead there are the more urban wilds. Rats and cats are the animals that roam the streets, there are a few more exotic animals, most of whom were or were destined to be pets of the merchants that escaped or were set loose to avoid tariffs and inspectors. Exceptions to the otherwise dreary amount of plant life in the city are the temples of Chauntea, Eldath and Sheela Peryroyl. Also, some of the merchant families, particularly Ilchammer and Underbuck, keep gardens on their estates.

Port Region: Like most port cities, the docks of Selgaunt can be a place of boisterous debauchery, or of the sullen and defeated. It is here where Zhentarim and the Shades hold court, seeking information from drunken servants, and stealing treasures not yet returned to those who commissioned their retrieval. The Port Region is located in the south-west corner of the city, extended ¼ of the way up the coast of the Arkhen river and 1/3 of the way along the seacoast.

The Copper Coral: The largest bar in the Port region, the Copper Coral is either the best place to get information that you’re not supposed to have, or the best place to get holes in your body that you’re not supposed to have. The bar is owned by the Bekson family but operated by two individuals that the even the Bekson’s prefer not to often deal with. Redbeard Kris (Human, Old, Swashbuckler 5) and Milo Underbottle (LF Halfling Rogue 4). Milo handles the bar and is much more talkative though much less substantively than Redbeard. Milo will happily chat with newcomers to the city, so long as they buy ale and talk more substance than he.

Outsider rules: For those who are not humans or Halflings, Sembia is not the best place to be. In order to get into the Copper Coral a PC must take one of three routes. 2 Silver pieces to the guard at the entrance, a DC 18 Diplomacy/Bluff Check, or a DC 10 Disguise Self check. Getting in is easier than getting served. Prices are tripled for outsiders and Milo will not discuss anything other than why the person is there without 50GP, unless the PC makes a DC 25 Disguise check.

Merchant’s Quarter: Somewhat of a misnomer given that the merchants run the city, but nevertheless the centre section of Selgaunt contains the vast majority of shops in the city, as well as a temple of Waukeen. Many shops are owned by individual proprietors, but the majority are bankrolled by the wealthy families (outlined below). The families are prone to trying to undercut each other, and occasionally a price war will break out between them, this only occurs in goods where the different families compete in.

Pete’s Art Shop: This shop is owned by a Halfling family who live in the apartment above it. The store specializes in works of art, be they paintings, tapestries, or sculptures. The owners are generally honest, either of the adult Halflings will use a magical monocle to appraise the items. 95% of the time they can determine the precise gold piece value, 3% of the time they overestimate by 10%, and 2% of the time they underestimate by 15%. As the family has an effective monopoly in access to the wealthiest Sembians in the city they haggle for the price exceptionally well, usually offering 35-40% of the value, the maximum party/week payout is 35,000gp.

Outsider rules: Because of the nature of art Pete’s Art Shop welcomes those of all races.

Robert James’ Smithy: Run by a gruff old human, this is the premiere smithy in the city of Selgaunt, other shops rarely have more than +2 weapons and armour. RJ’s Smithy will regularly have access to +3 weapons and will be able to obtain most +4 weapons in less than two ten-day. RJ is bankrolled by Miklos Selkirk, whose Silver Ravens will frequent the Smithy if they require items as they receive a 10% discount. RJ’s Smithy will not deal in anything less than masterwork quality, and only arms and armour. RJ has a maximum party/week payout of 25,000gp.

Outsider rules: For those who are not Humans, Halflings, or Dwarves. DC 20 Diplomacy to be served, DC 30 to receive normal prices or DC 27 Disguise.

The Magic Cap: Despite having the Red Wizards somewhat removed from the centre marketplace of the city, The Magic Cap has suffered from their presence. The owners have a contract with the Wizard’s Guild for creating items up to 50,000gp. There is a 90% chance of the store having a minor magical item in stock, 35% for a Medium item, and 5% for a Major item. Anything custom made will take 150% of the normal creation time to create, and 60% must be paid up front. The Magic cap has a maximum party/week payout of 75,000gp, and will deal in anything magical.

Outsider Rules: The Magic Cap will not serve Thayans, otherwise they welcome anyone with magic.

Selgaunt Bank of Commerce: The bank is supported by the Ilchammer family, and houses a great deal of Selgaunt’s wealth. As such it is the most fortified structure in the city, there has never been a theft at the bank in 250 years. The bank offers loans at varying interest rates, as a general rule 15% on anything less than 5000gp, 10% on 5000-10,000gp. In order to obtain a loan of higher than 1000gp, the person in question must have established good credit with the Bank or provide suitable collateral. For a loan of over 5000gp, the person must have property or be subject to a Gaes spell. More than one adventurer has lost their life because paying back the bank slipped their mind during a dangerous situation. Banknotes from the Bank of Commerce are accepted in all major Sembian cities. The bank will pay 0.5-2% interest depending on the size of the deposit, the credit and reputation of the depositor. Payment terms are negotiable and all interest rates are monthly)

Outsider Rules: If not Human or Halfling DC 15 Disguise, DC 22 Diplomacy, 25sp to enter. DC 35 Diplomacy or 100gp to obtain normal interest rates.

Leadership:

Selgaunt is a mercantile city, the Hulorn is the titular ruler, but the real leadership of the city is gold. The politics of the city range from economic competition to petty feuds between the merchant families.

Religion:

Temples exist for most of the Faerun and Halfling pantheons. No temples exist for the other pantheons (Elven, Drow, Mulhorandi, etc).

Groups:

Bekson’s: By far the least pleasant of the families, the Bekson’s were at one time the ruling family of Selgaunt. Ousted by the other nobles almost a hundred years ago, the Bekson’s still hold a grudge against the Ilchammer’s who are the only family keeping any kind of importance after the passing time. The Bekson’s operate most of the bars and inns in the city and the individual members are the biggest information brokers in Sembia. The only thing keeping them from making more of a fortune in blackmailing is the distrust that they have bred amongst themselves. The Bekson’s worship Loviatar.

Thayan Enclave: Standard Thayan enclave, run by a Human Female Abjurer 5/RW6 with Necromancy and Conjuration as initial banned schools, Evocation as the RW banned school. As the enclave is on the coast and the Thayans have had trouble with the denizens of the Sea of Fallen Stars there is also a Red Wizard in charge of the Enclave’s defense. Human Male Conjurer 5/RW 5, with Enchantment and Illusion as initial banned schools and Abjuration as the RW banned school.

Ilchammer’s: The ruling family of Selgaunt at this time. The family occupies a keep in the centre of the city, maintaining a healthy contingent of guards and the grandest garden in the city. Every month during the summer the family will hold a ball in the garden as a demonstration of its beauty. As of the moment there are no major issues with the other families of the city. The Ilchammer’s worship Waukeen.

Underbuck’s: This Halfling family deals almost exclusively in gems, in fact despite there being 6 different gem merchants in Selgaunt, not one of them is not owned by the Underbuck’s, whether or not the proprietor is aware of it. Also, because of their gardens, the Underbuck’s also have a floral shop with all manner of plants. The Underbuck’s primarily worship Sheela Peryroyl.

Falconsflight: This human family runs a great deal of the ports, this near monopoly (75%) and relatives having ports in the other major Sembian cities allows the Falconsflight’s to give favourable rates if the goods start and end their voyage in their ports. Otherwise a 5sp levy is placed upon each pound of goods unloaded onto their ports. The Falconsflight's worship Istishia and Valkur.

--------------------

That's all. The outsider rules are because of a Sun Elf I have in the party. Pete is the name of one of my players and his parents are the ones who are going to run the art shop and send these guys on all kinds of errands to try to slow down the enslavement pressures from the Thayans.

I think I need a few more of the bigger families in Sembia to flesh the city out more, and there should be some Silver Ravens and such in the town, but I've run out of motivation for the time being and would really like some feedback.

Thanks.

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  23:44:02  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One tip, if you read fast and have the money, would be to read the Sembia series of novels which are all, to varying degrees, set in Selgaunt.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  00:56:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Selgaunt is also written up in the 2E "Forgotten Realms Adventures" hardcover.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  02:24:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This all seems very nice Furry. As George already stated, there is a source for the city of Selgaunt already available.

However, I am interested to hear where you picked up most of these details for your take?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Furry
Acolyte

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  05:28:31  Show Profile  Visit Furry's Homepage Send Furry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

This all seems very nice Furry. As George already stated, there is a source for the city of Selgaunt already available.

However, I am interested to hear where you picked up most of these details for your take?

Some of the information came from the 3E FRCS, and a lot of it came from head. And by a lot I mean most. I have a friend with a lot of 2e books so I'll see what I can do to get that Adventures book and adapt what I have so far to it.

Thanks a bunch guys, check back in a couple days and I should have it redone.
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  06:25:11  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just on a sidenote; if you ever decide to take a hop over to Yhaunn, Mistress of the Night has a map and some nice locale descriptions for that city... And it's still my favourite realms novel as well.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Rudar Dimble
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  09:02:07  Show Profile  Visit Rudar Dimble's Homepage Send Rudar Dimble a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Off course you should read http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/sembia.htm. It should help you a lot.
WotC has also some good info, written by EG himself.

Jesus saves... and takes ½ damage

Edited by - Rudar Dimble on 26 Apr 2005 09:02:40
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2020 :  06:29:36  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Furry,

First: I would love to know how that game turned out for you man. I feel like I came out of stasis reading something like that.

3.5 hours after your last post, someone else posted, and that was that.

How did it turn out, Acolyte Furry? I hope it was amazing! :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Furry

Disclaimer 1:
Hi, this is my first post and I'm hoping there aren't any rules I'm not familiar with that I break with this (if there are, I certainly won't take anything being edited out or deleted personally).

Disclaimer 2:
In 6 days I'll be running my first game as DM, I've played in two 6 month campaigns and a couple one-offs so far, but I think I picked up things rather well. I decided I wanted to run the campaign in FR, and specifically Sembia. After deciding this I went out and looked for information, found constructed cities to use a little lacking, so being inspired by the Evereska thread I started off on my own. The following is the result.

--------------------

General:

A large port Metropolis on the mouth of the River Arkhen and the Sea of Fallen Stars, Selgaunt is one of the four major trading cities of Sembia. Ruled by a hereditary prince who is but a mouthpiece of the merchant’s council. Selgaunt is a city of intrigue, made all the more so by the recent addition of a Thayan Enclave.

History:

DR 380: Selgaunt founded (as Chancelgaunt) [found in a thread here]
DR 1273: Ilchammer family becomes hereditary rulers of Selgaunt [Entirely made up by me]
DR 1371: Thayan Enclave established [Compiled history pdf from Brian James]

Geography:

Flora/Fauna: As a bustling human metropolis, the native life of the wild does not hold sway in Selgaunt. Instead there are the more urban wilds. Rats and cats are the animals that roam the streets, there are a few more exotic animals, most of whom were or were destined to be pets of the merchants that escaped or were set loose to avoid tariffs and inspectors. Exceptions to the otherwise dreary amount of plant life in the city are the temples of Chauntea, Eldath and Sheela Peryroyl. Also, some of the merchant families, particularly Ilchammer and Underbuck, keep gardens on their estates.

Port Region: Like most port cities, the docks of Selgaunt can be a place of boisterous debauchery, or of the sullen and defeated. It is here where Zhentarim and the Shades hold court, seeking information from drunken servants, and stealing treasures not yet returned to those who commissioned their retrieval. The Port Region is located in the south-west corner of the city, extended ¼ of the way up the coast of the Arkhen river and 1/3 of the way along the seacoast.

The Copper Coral: The largest bar in the Port region, the Copper Coral is either the best place to get information that you’re not supposed to have, or the best place to get holes in your body that you’re not supposed to have. The bar is owned by the Bekson family but operated by two individuals that the even the Bekson’s prefer not to often deal with. Redbeard Kris (Human, Old, Swashbuckler 5) and Milo Underbottle (LF Halfling Rogue 4). Milo handles the bar and is much more talkative though much less substantively than Redbeard. Milo will happily chat with newcomers to the city, so long as they buy ale and talk more substance than he.

Outsider rules: For those who are not humans or Halflings, Sembia is not the best place to be. In order to get into the Copper Coral a PC must take one of three routes. 2 Silver pieces to the guard at the entrance, a DC 18 Diplomacy/Bluff Check, or a DC 10 Disguise Self check. Getting in is easier than getting served. Prices are tripled for outsiders and Milo will not discuss anything other than why the person is there without 50GP, unless the PC makes a DC 25 Disguise check.

Merchant’s Quarter: Somewhat of a misnomer given that the merchants run the city, but nevertheless the centre section of Selgaunt contains the vast majority of shops in the city, as well as a temple of Waukeen. Many shops are owned by individual proprietors, but the majority are bankrolled by the wealthy families (outlined below). The families are prone to trying to undercut each other, and occasionally a price war will break out between them, this only occurs in goods where the different families compete in.

Pete’s Art Shop: This shop is owned by a Halfling family who live in the apartment above it. The store specializes in works of art, be they paintings, tapestries, or sculptures. The owners are generally honest, either of the adult Halflings will use a magical monocle to appraise the items. 95% of the time they can determine the precise gold piece value, 3% of the time they overestimate by 10%, and 2% of the time they underestimate by 15%. As the family has an effective monopoly in access to the wealthiest Sembians in the city they haggle for the price exceptionally well, usually offering 35-40% of the value, the maximum party/week payout is 35,000gp.

Outsider rules: Because of the nature of art Pete’s Art Shop welcomes those of all races.

Robert James’ Smithy: Run by a gruff old human, this is the premiere smithy in the city of Selgaunt, other shops rarely have more than +2 weapons and armour. RJ’s Smithy will regularly have access to +3 weapons and will be able to obtain most +4 weapons in less than two ten-day. RJ is bankrolled by Miklos Selkirk, whose Silver Ravens will frequent the Smithy if they require items as they receive a 10% discount. RJ’s Smithy will not deal in anything less than masterwork quality, and only arms and armour. RJ has a maximum party/week payout of 25,000gp.

Outsider rules: For those who are not Humans, Halflings, or Dwarves. DC 20 Diplomacy to be served, DC 30 to receive normal prices or DC 27 Disguise.

The Magic Cap: Despite having the Red Wizards somewhat removed from the centre marketplace of the city, The Magic Cap has suffered from their presence. The owners have a contract with the Wizard’s Guild for creating items up to 50,000gp. There is a 90% chance of the store having a minor magical item in stock, 35% for a Medium item, and 5% for a Major item. Anything custom made will take 150% of the normal creation time to create, and 60% must be paid up front. The Magic cap has a maximum party/week payout of 75,000gp, and will deal in anything magical.

Outsider Rules: The Magic Cap will not serve Thayans, otherwise they welcome anyone with magic.

Selgaunt Bank of Commerce: The bank is supported by the Ilchammer family, and houses a great deal of Selgaunt’s wealth. As such it is the most fortified structure in the city, there has never been a theft at the bank in 250 years. The bank offers loans at varying interest rates, as a general rule 15% on anything less than 5000gp, 10% on 5000-10,000gp. In order to obtain a loan of higher than 1000gp, the person in question must have established good credit with the Bank or provide suitable collateral. For a loan of over 5000gp, the person must have property or be subject to a Gaes spell. More than one adventurer has lost their life because paying back the bank slipped their mind during a dangerous situation. Banknotes from the Bank of Commerce are accepted in all major Sembian cities. The bank will pay 0.5-2% interest depending on the size of the deposit, the credit and reputation of the depositor. Payment terms are negotiable and all interest rates are monthly)

Outsider Rules: If not Human or Halfling DC 15 Disguise, DC 22 Diplomacy, 25sp to enter. DC 35 Diplomacy or 100gp to obtain normal interest rates.

Leadership:

Selgaunt is a mercantile city, the Hulorn is the titular ruler, but the real leadership of the city is gold. The politics of the city range from economic competition to petty feuds between the merchant families.

Religion:

Temples exist for most of the Faerun and Halfling pantheons. No temples exist for the other pantheons (Elven, Drow, Mulhorandi, etc).

Groups:

Bekson’s: By far the least pleasant of the families, the Bekson’s were at one time the ruling family of Selgaunt. Ousted by the other nobles almost a hundred years ago, the Bekson’s still hold a grudge against the Ilchammer’s who are the only family keeping any kind of importance after the passing time. The Bekson’s operate most of the bars and inns in the city and the individual members are the biggest information brokers in Sembia. The only thing keeping them from making more of a fortune in blackmailing is the distrust that they have bred amongst themselves. The Bekson’s worship Loviatar.

Thayan Enclave: Standard Thayan enclave, run by a Human Female Abjurer 5/RW6 with Necromancy and Conjuration as initial banned schools, Evocation as the RW banned school. As the enclave is on the coast and the Thayans have had trouble with the denizens of the Sea of Fallen Stars there is also a Red Wizard in charge of the Enclave’s defense. Human Male Conjurer 5/RW 5, with Enchantment and Illusion as initial banned schools and Abjuration as the RW banned school.

Ilchammer’s: The ruling family of Selgaunt at this time. The family occupies a keep in the centre of the city, maintaining a healthy contingent of guards and the grandest garden in the city. Every month during the summer the family will hold a ball in the garden as a demonstration of its beauty. As of the moment there are no major issues with the other families of the city. The Ilchammer’s worship Waukeen.

Underbuck’s: This Halfling family deals almost exclusively in gems, in fact despite there being 6 different gem merchants in Selgaunt, not one of them is not owned by the Underbuck’s, whether or not the proprietor is aware of it. Also, because of their gardens, the Underbuck’s also have a floral shop with all manner of plants. The Underbuck’s primarily worship Sheela Peryroyl.

Falconsflight: This human family runs a great deal of the ports, this near monopoly (75%) and relatives having ports in the other major Sembian cities allows the Falconsflight’s to give favourable rates if the goods start and end their voyage in their ports. Otherwise a 5sp levy is placed upon each pound of goods unloaded onto their ports. The Falconsflight's worship Istishia and Valkur.

--------------------

That's all. The outsider rules are because of a Sun Elf I have in the party. Pete is the name of one of my players and his parents are the ones who are going to run the art shop and send these guys on all kinds of errands to try to slow down the enslavement pressures from the Thayans.

I think I need a few more of the bigger families in Sembia to flesh the city out more, and there should be some Silver Ravens and such in the town, but I've run out of motivation for the time being and would really like some feedback.

Thanks.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000