Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Portals and Celestial Stair cases of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  06:03:59  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks

By the way someone (I think i was Sage) said that the Abbey of the Sword Portal to Sigil is now inactive due to something that happaned in Sigil

What and who blocked the portal at Sigil end?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  06:37:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that was me. It was from something I read about from the 3e "official" conversion for the PS setting.

Let me track down the source again, and I'll fill you in on the specific details.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  07:32:24  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Yes, that was me. It was from something I read about from the 3e "official" conversion for the PS setting.

Let me track down the source again, and I'll fill you in on the specific details.

*Tucks that little titbit away*

Much appreciated (if you find anymore feel free to post)

Are there any other known FR to Sigil portals and what is their last known status?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  14:28:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll keep an eye out for any more FR/Sigil portals that are mentioned.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  01:56:41  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  06:23:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bink!

Okay, regarding the portal at the Abbey of the Sword... Details from PW.com seem to indicate that nothing actually happened to prevent access from Faerun. Rather, knowledge about the portal has basically faded from the minds of many (on the Sigil side) except for those who reside near the Abbey portal's exit. They are the only mortals in Sigil who know well of the details surrouding the portal and where it comes from.

I believe this to be one designer's interpretation to keep Sigil a PS-oriented campaign instead of the true multiversal nature it had during 2e. Apparently it is considered 'canon' only to the extent of an unofficial 3e PS conversion. Until it is actually mentioned in printed details in an 'official' FR sourcebook, and depending on which setting your primarily campaigning in, the portal is still active.

Since I still run my PS campaigns with true multiversal exposure, the portal end from the Abbey of the Sword in MY Sigil, still connects with Faerun.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  08:12:40  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm ok

*reverts back to plan A*

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2005 :  00:40:30  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Faiths and Pantheons, there is more than one portal underneath the Abby of the Sword. The text refers to them as "numerous". They go on to talk about how drow popped through an "unwatched" portal.

If there are enough portals down there for an abbey that boasts more than 100 people (mentioned in the text) can't watch them all, we can assume were dealing with quite a few of them. More than just 1 to Sigil.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2005 :  05:58:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, there is only ONE portal from the Abbey to Sigil. Although, should you need to find another way, there is always the possibility of finding an previously unknown portal from the Abbey that leads directly to the entrance of one of the many barrack posts for Harmonium patrols in the City of Doors.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2005 :  20:59:31  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, there is only ONE portal from the Abbey to Sigil. Although, should you need to find another way, there is always the possibility of finding an previously unknown portal from the Abbey that leads directly to the entrance of one of the many barrack posts for Harmonium patrols in the City of Doors.

Weren`t the harmonium and the other factions kicked out of Sigil after the faction war?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2005 :  21:33:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorneWeren`t the harmonium and the other factions kicked out of Sigil after the faction war?

Only some of them. Some disbanded, some merged together, some went to other planes, and some just are still there but they are not "factions" per say. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 22 Apr 2005 06:16:21
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  05:25:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Weren`t the harmonium and the other factions kicked out of Sigil after the faction war?

Only some of them. Some disbanded, some merged together, some went to other planes, and some just are still there but they are not "factions" per say. :)

Kuje is correct.

Of course, just agreeing that they are no longer a FACTION in the traditional sense was also enough for some.

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Apr 2005 05:27:19
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  09:22:07  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, some of them were disbanded, some were destroyed, and some simply relocated elsewhere(fated to ysgard, Harmonium to arcadia etc) and according to what I have read the lady of pain gave them all "the finger"=kicked them out of sigil.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Iliphar1
Learned Scribe

Austria
133 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  22:35:35  Show Profile  Visit Iliphar1's Homepage Send Iliphar1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
aren't there any permanent portals into Ravenloft?

'You see dead bones? ... I see an army!' Ezechiel 37
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  00:48:02  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I mentioned on page 1, there is a portal to Ravenloft under the Greycloak hills just north of Evereska.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  18:19:04  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LEoF mentions that the Hosttower Arcane in Luskan has portals to many planes, among them a portal to a demiplane containing a shadow version of the Hosttower.

By the way, this is not official, but I ran a campaign once where the players had to recover a certain kidnapped queen being held by Arklem Greeth in Ravenloft, and so I put a portal to Ravenloft in the Hosttower Arcane.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  02:27:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iliphar1

Just remember, as I stated earlier, unless you specifically wish it so, there is no longer a portal from the Realms into Ravenloft 3e. That being said, you can still have the portal exist if you so want -- it is just that there is no longer any context for it in the 3e RL material.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  02:36:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

By the way, this is not official, but I ran a campaign once where the players had to recover a certain kidnapped queen being held by Arklem Greeth in Ravenloft, and so I put a portal to Ravenloft in the Hosttower Arcane.
Where in Ravenloft did it open?

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  04:47:57  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Into the Svalich Woods outside the village of Barovia.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  08:29:55  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Just remember, as I stated earlier, unless you specifically wish it so, there is no longer a portal from the Realms into Ravenloft 3e. That being said, you can still have the portal exist if you so want -- it is just that there is no longer any context for it in the 3e RL material.

Hmm, that reminds me, has anyone actually picked up any of the 3E Ravenloft material?
Been tempted to get some, but the last time I had looked at Ravenloft, it seemed to be heading in a more Victorian Era setting, than the "traditional" fantasy setting.
Reason being is thinking of reviving the old original Ravenloft module in one of my Realms campaigns.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  08:42:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you notice from most of the RL/FR discussions here at Candlekeep, you'll know that I've certainly picked up most of the 3e material. Many of the tomes aren't as impressive as the 2e source material for the setting, but it is still RL nonetheless.

However, this really isn't the place for such a non-Realms discussion. To appease the Big Al, I suggest you move over to the Worlds of D&D forums, specifically the RL forums.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  12:23:27  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  15:28:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

quote:

Hmm, that reminds me, has anyone actually picked up any of the 3E Ravenloft material?
Been tempted to get some, but the last time I had looked at Ravenloft, it seemed to be heading in a more Victorian Era setting, than the "traditional" fantasy setting.
Reason being is thinking of reviving the old original Ravenloft module in one of my Realms campaigns.

I've got the first of the 3E Ravenloft books. It's not bad, but it's not as good as the 2E stuff was.

As for the original I6 module, though, I can't see any reason not to drop it somewhere in the Realms. It wasn't originally set in the Ravenloft setting, the setting was built around the module.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Saryason
Acolyte

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  10:55:09  Show Profile  Visit Saryason's Homepage Send Saryason a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just noticed something interesting on the the first page.

With regards to the 'celestial staircase', does it connect to more than one point in Toril? and is it still viable in 3e?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  16:16:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saryason

With regards to the 'celestial staircase', does it connect to more than one point in Toril? and is it still viable in 3e?

Yes and yes, since it's mentioned in the Player's Guide.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  17:32:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saryason

In the Avatar trilogy, we saw at least 2 or 3 connections to Toril. One in Shadowdale, one in Waterdeep, and I think Mystra 1 used one to try to go home, before being slain by Helm.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  17:50:50  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Celestial Staircase is said to have connections to every city in every plane across the multiverse. Although we don't know where all those openings are in the realms, it is possible that you can access the Staircase in any city in the Realms.

Since most people don't know where the openings are, they often travel to the Selűne's Gates of the Moon where a terminus is know to exist in order to access it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  02:46:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

...and I think Mystra 1 used one to try to go home, before being slain by Helm.
It was indeed, with its usual appearance and description.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  03:30:56  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Also the stars of Realmspace are portals to the Plane of Radiance, but not sure how this would be since Radiance has been written out in 3/3.5

There was a 3/3.5 writeup for the Plane of Radiance in one of the Dragon Magazines. I don't remember which one, my issue is at home and I am at work.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  03:52:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair
There was a 3/3.5 writeup for the Plane of Radiance in one of the Dragon Magazines. I don't remember which one, my issue is at home and I am at work.

That was a different Plane of Radiance, since it's a transit plane instead of a elemental plane. There's other parts of the Dragon one that is different then the elemental one. :) Same name, different plane basically.

I call that plane the Rainbow Bright plane because of the bridge that goes through that plane. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 10 Jun 2005 03:53:32
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000