Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 FR movies: What should be in it?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  02:13:56  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What should be in a FR movie, if it's filmed? New tales or adaptations on past novels? I know it won't probably happen but, what the heck.

Playing a winged dwarf with acrophobia is fun.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  03:42:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the gods of Hollywood were wise and just, it would be an all-new tale, featuring new characters. This avoids the many pitfalls inherent in doing an adaptation (casting, staying true to the story, etc) and thus pleases the greater majority of fans.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Apr 2005 03:47:35
Go to Top of Page

Songrimm
Acolyte

Germany
38 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  04:08:10  Show Profile  Visit Songrimm's Homepage Send Songrimm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As was evident in the first d&d movie.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  04:40:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Songrimm

Exactly what I was thinking...I'm not sure I trust Hollywood to make an FR movie.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  05:56:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Songrimm

Exactly what I was thinking...I'm not sure I trust Hollywood to make an FR movie.

Nor do I, really... And if they did, I'd expect them to make a mangled movie about Drizzt.

But seriously, if they did a movie determined to do the right thing and tell a good tale, then I think they'd be better off with a new story, rather than a rehash of one we already know.

I've not seen the D&D movie, but I think we know that Hollywood was neither just nor wise with that one. That's why I specified that in my post.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Apr 2005 05:57:56
Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  06:01:09  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A good FR movie should include the various languages used in FR, instead of just plain english all the time. The actors should also LOOK the part (an adventurer with flawless skin, and a scarless body?)

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  06:01:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
But seriously, if they did a movie determined to do the right thing and tell a good tale, then I think they'd be better off with a new story, rather than a rehash of one we already know.

It all starts with the script. Get the right person writing the tale and magical results might be possible.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  13:07:07  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If so, what are the expectations and views of all forum members on a FR movie?
Besides what been mentioned in the replies, I mean what does all FR fans here truly wishes to see in a FR movie besides a new story line and excellent actors. Does old enemies like the Zhentarim are to be included in the FR movie? Or say expect a threat from the deep seas which afterall had been very unknown to all(I didn't mean the Sahuagin but something else.)
By the way, does the forum members wish to see their favorite FR story characters in the movie, I mean in a new plot, a new storyline with the most popular and hottest FR characters be placed in the movie. I am sure that will be quite interesting.
I think I should go check the net for any possible release of FR movies or any possible hint (like Halo which some say there will be a movie on it) since a lot of movies nowadays are based on the games we are playing such as X-Men.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  13:21:08  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Besides what been mentioned in the replies, I mean what does all FR fans here truly wishes to see in a FR movie besides a new story line and excellent actors. Does old enemies like the Zhentarim are to be included in the FR movie? Or say expect a threat from the deep seas which afterall had been very unknown to all(I didn't mean the Sahuagin but something else.)
By the way, does the forum members wish to see their favorite FR story characters in the movie, I mean in a new plot, a new storyline with the most popular and hottest FR characters be placed in the movie. I am sure that will be quite interesting.
I think I should go check the net for any possible release of FR movies or any possible hint (like Halo which some say there will be a movie on it) since a lot of movies nowadays are based on the games we are playing such as X-Men.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm out of touch with the rest of the world, but wasn't X-Men based on comic books?

To be honest I'm not really interested in an FR movie because I would be afraid they would make it very cheesey. If they did make one I agree with Wooly, it should be a new story. Include Harpers and Zhentarim just to give it an FR feel but that doesn't mean you have to showcase Fzoul or Bran Scorlsun.

If they ever did a Drizzt movie it would come under so much fire in the U.S. about racism that it wouldn't even be funny. People in this country are always walking on egg shells when it comes to race and having the "black" race (even though it's elves) portrayed as evil would be fueling the fire.

I remember seeing things on the news about racism in the new Starwars movies because the trade federation viceroy had an asian accent...Pretty ridiculous, I know but people look for this kind of stuff. LOTR also took some flack because the Haradrim and Easterlings were the only "non-white" race and were portrayed as evil.

Non-fantasy fans just don't understand fantasy. If Drow society was portrayed on film and all of the surface elves were good it would come under a lot of fire from stupid people.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  14:49:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think I should go check the net for any possible release of FR movies or any possible hint

Trust me, there is currently no buzz about a possible FR movie. Anything you read online is wishful fan thinking. But, you do have an upcoming second D&D movie. So, at least you get to enjoy that.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  14:56:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane
I'm sorry, maybe I'm out of touch with the rest of the world, but wasn't X-Men based on comic books?

Yes, X-Men was based on a popular line of comic books.

quote:

People in this country are always walking on egg shells when it comes to race and having the "black" race (even though it's elves) portrayed as evil would be fueling the fire.

Possibly, but if a certain person has a powerful drive to make a certain film, like The Passion of the Christ, it will get done regardless of the possible reaction from the public. Additionally, if a studio feels there is enough money to be made from a movie, it will get made, regardless of a possible backlash. Sadly, I don't think an FR movie has either of these elements right now.

quote:

I remember seeing things on the news about racism in the new Starwars movies because the trade federation viceroy had an asian accent...Pretty ridiculous, I know but people look for this kind of stuff.

Don't forget Jar Jar. He was insulting to a certain ethnic group too. No folks, Jar Jar was insulting to every human being on the planet.

quote:

LOTR also took some flack because the Haradrim and Easterlings were the only "non-white" race and were portrayed as evil.

I missed that one. Tolkein, you racist bastard you...

quote:

Non-fantasy fans just don't understand fantasy. If Drow society was portrayed on film and all of the surface elves were good it would come under a lot of fire from stupid people.

And more importantly from people with an agenda.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  14:58:11  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Shadovar
If Drow society was portrayed on film and all of the surface elves were good it would come under a lot of fire from stupid people.

As long as they dont forget to mention that there are good drow as well(followers of Eilistraee)and evil surface elves(Kymil Nimesin, House Starym and racist sun elves in general anyone?) there shouldn`t be THAT much of a fuss.......(I think)

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy

Edited by - khorne on 06 Apr 2005 14:59:00
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  15:06:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne
As long as they dont forget to mention that there are good drow as well(followers of Eilistraee)and evil surface elves(Kymil Nimesin, House Starym and racist sun elves in general anyone?) there shouldn`t be THAT much of a fuss.......(I think)

There would still be a fuss if certain groups with their own agendas wished there to be. But, just my personal opinion. Perhaps my race will prove me wrong....

Ah, that was good, I needed that this early in the morning.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 06 Apr 2005 15:07:22
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  17:29:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Shadovar
If Drow society was portrayed on film and all of the surface elves were good it would come under a lot of fire from stupid people.

I beg to differ with you. If you made a movie focusing on drow, either individually or as a group, you'd have to showcase their society and show how evil it was -- otherwise, the impact would be lost.

Now, put on the big screen a movie that shows that 99% of all members of a dark-skinned race are thoroughly evil... Special interests groups would come crawling out of the woodwork to attack this one, and people would decide that they were offended, so the lawsuits would come rolling in...

In short, if you make a movie about Drizzt, kiss WotC goodbye.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  17:32:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Besides what been mentioned in the replies, I mean what does all FR fans here truly wishes to see in a FR movie besides a new story line and excellent actors.

I have no particular preference, other than a new story.

Of course, a bunch of semi-naked elf chics would help.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  22:24:47  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well... now, if this hipothetic movie was made by a certain Peter Jackson, so I will bet all my cards in the movie! And I share the opinions of the fellow scribes... it must be a new story, maybe using some of the faerunian organizations, and visiting some interesting locals of the Realms...

Well, this was a good dream time :)

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  01:00:20  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... Definately a new story, some nice-looking monsters (as in well-animated/make-up applied). A good storyline, a couple of wizards, rogues, and clerics. Oh, and the odd half-naked elf-chick of priestess of Sune too of course

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  02:16:52  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So am I right to say that the forum members do not wish to see the FR most popular and hottest and most supported (I mean favored by fans worldwide) characters in action? But to see new characters that are not part of the current FR character listings. But I would prefer non-animated movies, at least that's a realistic movie.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  02:31:02  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So am I right to say that the forum members do not wish to see the FR most popular and hottest and most supported (I mean favored by fans worldwide) characters in action? But to see new characters that are not part of the current FR character listings. But I would prefer non-animated movies, at least that's a realistic movie.

It sounds like you are correct from the replies that have been posted. However, always remember the people on these forums are not the "typical" realms fans. There are many fanboys out there that would love nothing more that to see a Drizzt movie.

I really don't think an FR movie would be a good idea. Movies from the midieval/sword & armor/epic genre (whether historical or fantasy) can be very good (see Ben Hur, Sparticus, Braveheart, Gladiator, LOTR) but MUCH more often than not they are so painfully bad they make your stomach turn (see Troy, Alexander, Dragon Heart, Knights Tale, D&D Movie). Chances are the movie would be more like the latter just because that's how most movies of that genre are.

Now, if you can guarantee me that the movie would be a great movie than of course I would be all for it but that isn't saying much because I would be all for ANY movie that was guaranteed to be great.

Go to Top of Page

LordAnki
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  02:57:06  Show Profile  Visit LordAnki's Homepage Send LordAnki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

An FR movie would be stupid I think. Let us keep using our minds to create the cast and characters and the action. Leave D&D, FR, Eberron all of that in our heads. PLEASE!

Personally the D&D movie sucked! It had really no point. It blew really bad. It looked cool but that was before I played D&D.

Tip of the Month: don't drink the dirty water. You know what i'm talking about if you know what i mean.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  03:27:29  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
However, always remember the people on these forums are not the "typical" realms fans.

Damn right, we are much more charming, more intelligent, better looking, and witty.

quote:

There are many fanboys out there that would love nothing more that to see a Drizzt movie.

Then they can make a straight to DVD release for these folks so they can be at home with their movie and a bottle of hand lotion.

Here's a question for scribes out there.....we obviously know a FR movie is not coming any time in the near future. But, do you think you'll see a FR movie (by movie I mean wide release to cinemas) in your lifetime?
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  03:43:24  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's a question for scribes out there.....we obviously know a FR movie is not coming any time in the near future. But, do you think you'll see a FR movie (by movie I mean wide release to cinemas) in your lifetime?

No, I honestly don't see it happening. I don't think fantasy/D&D is getting any more mainstream popularity anytime soon.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  03:45:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
No, I honestly don't see it happening. I don't think fantasy/D&D is getting any more mainstream popularity anytime soon.

That was my reaction to. I don't see it happening in my lifetime.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  04:01:55  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
maybe we will see but not so soon.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  05:56:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't see it happening, either. The success of the Lord of the Rings was a singular thing. It wouldn't have been nearly as successful if it wasn't for the fact that the books have been around for 50 years, and that everyone has read them.

Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  06:11:27  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they EVER make a FR movie, please, oh please call an FR expert to help with the film. Heck, I don't mind if they call anyone from this forum. At least we'll have more sense and actually CARE about the quality of the film than those money-eyed *-------censored-------*

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  06:23:08  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say that if an FR expert is to be called up for service in the film making, Ed Greenwood is a worthy candidate to write the movie script and character script. Troy Denning is also another good candidate too. Or Elain Cunningham(I wonder if I spell correctly) or even better, persuade all three to come together to think of an FR script, if that possible.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  06:32:50  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I don't see it happening, either. The success of the Lord of the Rings was a singular thing. It wouldn't have been nearly as successful if it wasn't for the fact that the books have been around for 50 years, and that everyone has read them.

And you had one person, Peter Jackon, who was beyond passionate about bringing the books to screen. If it had been just an ordinary director making the decisions....well I'm sure it would have been fun to see Britney Spears as Arwen.
Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  08:34:53  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There is a just not much of a chance that any beloved characters would be done justice on screen. Better to keep them in our imaginations, I think.
Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  08:51:22  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Then they can make a straight to DVD release for these folks so they can be at home with their movie and a bottle of hand lotion.

quote:

I can't see a movie specifically about the Realms any time soon. It's more likely to be used as a setting in a generic DnD movie, with a generic plot and badly acted characters.

Television is more likely, I think. I know it was proposed once. Could come up again. A lot of surprising, if not strange, premises for TV shows get produced. And they did make a series out of Vampire, though it's probably best forgotten.

Edited by - Mareka on 07 Apr 2005 08:52:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  11:29:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

well I'm sure it would have been fun to see Britney Spears as Arwen.

<singing>"Hit me Strider one more time..."</singing>

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000