Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 FR movies: What should be in it?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rhezarnos Posted - 06 Apr 2005 : 02:13:56
What should be in a FR movie, if it's filmed? New tales or adaptations on past novels? I know it won't probably happen but, what the heck.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alisttair Posted - 20 Sep 2006 : 13:23:00
quote:
Originally posted by Calrond

Grant Theft Auto: San Andreas, which, if you make the comparison between CJ and Drizzt, you'll find a lot of similarities. Betrayed by their families, they travel to places they've never been and make new friends, learn new skills, and protect the lives they've made from those who want to take their newfound happiness away.

Heh...I never thought of comparing the two but I can see it now....now I wont stop thinking about that when I next ply GTA
Calrond Posted - 20 Sep 2006 : 01:38:08
The drow are no more racist than Grant Theft Auto: San Andreas, which, if you make the comparison between CJ and Drizzt, you'll find a lot of similarities. Betrayed by their families, they travel to places they've never been and make new friends, learn new skills, and protect the lives they've made from those who want to take their newfound happiness away.

As for what we should have in the movie, I'd suggest having one of the Chosen of Mystra at least make a cameo just to spark interest in them among those who aren't already fans. Maybe Khelben or Elminster is the one who gives the heroes their quest. Maybe they're in danger and Storm happens to be passing by to lend a hand. I agree that one of the Chosen of Mystra shouldn't be the primary character, but letting one pop in for a cameo would be nice. You can't have the first animated film having to do with the Realms leave Elminster out entirely. In my opinion, that is.
FridayThe13th Posted - 19 Sep 2006 : 21:52:09
Yes, I really like the idea of a FR movie being done in anime/final fantasy animation. Now, to the question of what movie should be used.

Drizzt is the most obvious choice, but I feel that as action-packed and classic those novels are, they don't reflect the Realms as a whole very well and do a very poor job of emphasizing the unique cultures, religions, and peoples of Faerun. FR, unlike DL, does not have a MAIN series which sums up the Realms as a whole and gives you an epic tale which takes you to every corner of the land.

On the other hand, you don't want to introduce people who watch the movie to El, the Simbul, Blackstaff, etc so soon because they will have no clue where they came from or what their purpose is in the Realms. While Drizzt does a very good job at this field.

What we need is a film that gives viewers a broad intoduction of the Realms and all it has to offer without embedding too deep into complex Realmslore canon or focusing on any one race or individual.

I think that a FR movie should be based on Baldur's Gate. It has all the elements people expect from a fantasy movie, a unexpected hero, a menecing dark god/lord/demon, and an epic adventure throughout the land. A Baldur's Gate movie would give viewers the epic adventure they want, a overall broad view of one of the main parts of the Realms, the Sword Coast, and it woun't have the problems with racism that Drizzt runs into. Plus, I think that it would make a great introductionary story.
Alisttair Posted - 19 Sep 2006 : 01:52:23
Yeah an animated ala FF movie would be a good idea. The only way for the movie to remain true to FR would be to have a true fan be the producer and/or director...and have Ed Greenwood on site to keep things accurate...or Rich Baker.
Calrond Posted - 19 Sep 2006 : 01:11:34
Could a few hardcore FR fans with some skills in 3D animation get together with voice actors and make a true FR movie/series? Maybe even something like that last Final Fantasy movie.

The biggest problem to me is that when people pick up a fantasy setting to make a movie, they do it to make money. Because of this, they will change it so that the average guy on the street will pay to go see it. If FR connoisseurs were to make the movie, though, it would be strictly for FR fans.

If there are people out there with the skills to do it, it could be great. New adventures or old ones remade from books to film.
Delzounblood Posted - 18 Sep 2006 : 20:40:10
If ever there is an FR film three things would happen:

1: It would be panned
2: It would be totally inaccurate
3: IT WOULD BE CRAP

UNLESS

1: WotC started the whole process and planned said film.
2: One of the current brilliant writers we have writing FR novels wrote the script
3: The world was a better place and no one tried to sue anyone else because of it being racist or heightist or to complex for the average joe six pack to understand that orcs and dragons are make belive, and this is all a bit of fun!! ( I'm thinking of when War of the Worlds was first played on radio and the US public went crazy thinking aliens had landed)

No Offense Intended just stating fact!
Alisttair Posted - 18 Sep 2006 : 20:06:42
quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit

I think this whole fantasy genre is picking up steam again for af ew reasons.

1. We're out of the 70's and 80's :D
2. Harry Potter/ LotR's.
3. Harry Potter/ LotR's.

We also got the Argon movie (the books a 16 year old wrote, and draw.) coming out rather soon.

I was unaware that a 16 year old wrote those (i was unaware it was based on books) - heck, I saw the preview two days ago...first time I heard about it now I know more :) looking forward to it
Neriandal Freit Posted - 18 Sep 2006 : 19:38:53
I think this whole fantasy genre is picking up steam again for af ew reasons.

1. We're out of the 70's and 80's :D
2. Harry Potter/ LotR's.
3. Harry Potter/ LotR's.

We also got the Argon movie (the books a 16 year old wrote, and draw.) coming out rather soon.
Alisttair Posted - 18 Sep 2006 : 17:44:07
If it were based on novels, the Avatar trilogy works good because they visit the top two locations in Faerun....Shadowdale and Waterdeep...and it features the gods which are part of all the realms.
Archwizard Posted - 18 Sep 2006 : 02:56:09
Hopefully they will NOT take a page from Dragonlance by doing a direct adaptation of the current setting based comic, in FR's case, Drizzt. An FR movie definitely needs to have a more 'usual' cast of characters.
FridayThe13th Posted - 18 Sep 2006 : 02:20:29
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

The problem is that since LOTR - everything will look like a giant copy, you know? And people generally won't back a copy movie. Next the problem is the D&D Movie, though will spectacular (cough), it has already ruined the D&D name for movies for at least this generation.

I think a great many Realms trilogies would make a great translation into movies. The Icewind Dale - while campy and Salvatore's first work - would fit perfectly into a general tale concerning the realms.

Unfortunately, it would be hard to bring the chosen or Elminster into the movies since they have such a tremendous amount of back story, which we, as Realms junkies know much of, but the common person doesn't.

Anyway, that's my 2 bits. :)

C-Fb

Hmm, well, we will first have to see how the Dragonlance film does. I am not sure if it is hitting theatres or not but if it does and is a success. Then maybe filmakers will see some more potential in D&D/fantasy based stuff and pull off a FR film.
Ilztfryn Claddghym Posted - 17 Sep 2006 : 19:13:56
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

[quote]Originally posted by Songrimm

As was evident in the first d&d movie.

Exactly what I was thinking...I'm not sure I trust Hollywood to make an FR movie.

Yes but I didnt trust the LOTR movie either and look how well that was made. I think it could and should be done!
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 28 Jul 2005 : 16:02:06
The problem is that since LOTR - everything will look like a giant copy, you know? And people generally won't back a copy movie. Next the problem is the D&D Movie, though will spectacular (cough), it has already ruined the D&D name for movies for at least this generation.

I think a great many Realms trilogies would make a great translation into movies. The Icewind Dale - while campy and Salvatore's first work - would fit perfectly into a general tale concerning the realms.

Unfortunately, it would be hard to bring the chosen or Elminster into the movies since they have such a tremendous amount of back story, which we, as Realms junkies know much of, but the common person doesn't.

Anyway, that's my 2 bits. :)

C-Fb
iamunknown Posted - 28 Jul 2005 : 08:10:19
a movie...a trilogy would work, there is enough fanyasy fans to bring in the money, and after lotr i dont think movie companys will underestimate the money they will make again. the movie sould of course have some popular faerun lands, like maybe starting with waterdeep, or maybe the high forest...charachters sould be brand new...meantions of famous realms charachters would be ok but dont cast any parts...it sould be a group of 6 to showcase the true skills of D&D classes or prc's (i would really love to see a dwarven battlerager go berzerk) languages would be good, since the main 3 are common, elvish and dwarvish (real dwarvish words i dont want something that i dont recognise like they tried ot pull in the extended fotr) ...i cant think of more right now, but i will add when i do :D
Weiser_Cain Posted - 30 Apr 2005 : 11:43:45
I'd rather not see him ever again.
pure Posted - 30 Apr 2005 : 10:22:34
well what ever haoends i would love to see arnie from the terminator get killed by "Puny little halfling theif"
Songrimm Posted - 27 Apr 2005 : 03:51:42
I just mean that good things come in three.
so why rush things in one movie when it would be better to develop the whole thing over more then one. as i stated earlier i think they should make a tv-series with a nice pilot and not a movie.
if it will be shown in germany though is anybodies guess.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Apr 2005 : 03:25:17
quote:
Originally posted by Songrimm

just another thought but it seems to me that a lot of the newer movies are not one part but more.
see: matrix, lotr, star wars episode 1-3 and 4-6
so why has it to be just one movie and not a triology?

Keep in mind that Star Wars was really a unique case... Lucas didn't try to sell it as the first movie of a trilogy, he was just trying to sell one movie. He had a hard enough time doing that... And people thought he was crazy when he said he wanted the rights to the merchandising and any sequels.

And Lord of the Rings was a published trilogy, so doing it in less than three movies woulda been weird.
SiriusBlack Posted - 27 Apr 2005 : 03:03:28
quote:
Originally posted by Songrimm

I'll be surprised if you could get a company to fund one FR film, let alone three. After all, Miramax wanted to chop down the LOTR trilogy to two films.
Songrimm Posted - 27 Apr 2005 : 02:53:18
just another thought but it seems to me that a lot of the newer movies are not one part but more.
see: matrix, lotr, star wars episode 1-3 and 4-6
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 26 Apr 2005 : 18:46:43
Put the Tarrasque down?
Wow!

Thatīs an epic feat! Maybe the Tarrasque stay good for a movie, but I will prefer some very fearsome beholders (not that stupid ball that appear in the D&D Movie, that flies to catch an stick thrown by one of the characters...)
khorne Posted - 26 Apr 2005 : 18:33:28
Tarrasque? Isn`t that some giant beasty that refuses to stay dead after you (somehow) put it down?
Weiser_Cain Posted - 26 Apr 2005 : 03:55:50
*rim shot*
SiriusBlack Posted - 26 Apr 2005 : 03:26:54
quote:
Originally posted by jebeddo

Maybe the movie should be about the awaking of the Tarrasque from its ancient slumber, that would be cool.

Yeah Jack Black could use some work by then.
jebeddo Posted - 26 Apr 2005 : 03:09:42
Maybe the movie should be about the awaking of the Tarrasque from its ancient slumber, that would be cool.
khorne Posted - 25 Apr 2005 : 21:20:31
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by khorne
Every single baatezu-fan on the board is going to rip you to shreds for calling the baatezu demons..............

They aren't?

The Baatezu are devils, actually..........That`s a pretty big distinction for anyone who knows anthing at all about the blood war.......
SiriusBlack Posted - 25 Apr 2005 : 21:03:45
quote:
Every single baatezu-fan on the board is going to rip you to shreds for calling the baatezu demons..............

They aren't?
khorne Posted - 25 Apr 2005 : 21:02:24
quote:

quote:
Pixar has been freed from the bateezu-controlled organisation also known as Disney! Everyone rejoice!

I always knew Mickey was demonic.

SiriusBlack Posted - 25 Apr 2005 : 20:50:36
quote:
Pixar has been freed from the bateezu-controlled organisation also known as Disney! Everyone rejoice!

I always knew Mickey was demonic.
khorne Posted - 25 Apr 2005 : 20:47:31
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

We should have Pixar do it , since they are no longer under the Shadow of Disney, they should be able to have free reign to do what they want.

Ps. Those who want to hear one of disneys greatest screw-ups ever, raise your hands.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000