Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 FR movies: What should be in it?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  11:30:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mareka

There is a just not much of a chance that any beloved characters would be done justice on screen. Better to keep them in our imaginations, I think.

And that's part of why I say that any such movie should tale a new tale and focus on new characters.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  11:32:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And they did make a series out of Vampire, though it's probably best forgotten.

I have that series on tape... At the time, I quite enjoyed it, and I was disappointed when they had to end it (due to the death of one of the actors). I figured that by the end of the 2nd season, they'd've had to bring in the werewolves, and I was so looking forward to that.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  13:40:09  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, talking about the movie, I remember a little point: I want to know if it happen just with me, but when I put my hands in the FRCS and take a look at Elminster, I look, look, look again, and said: "Wow! Sean Connery as Elminster?!?!?"

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  14:05:25  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

So am I right to say that the forum members do not wish to see the FR most popular and hottest and most supported (I mean favored by fans worldwide) characters in action? But to see new characters that are not part of the current FR character listings. But I would prefer non-animated movies, at least that's a realistic movie.

It sounds like you are correct from the replies that have been posted. However, always remember the people on these forums are not the "typical" realms fans. There are many fanboys out there that would love nothing more that to see a Drizzt movie.

I really don't think an FR movie would be a good idea. Movies from the midieval/sword & armor/epic genre (whether historical or fantasy) can be very good (see Ben Hur, Sparticus, Braveheart, Gladiator, LOTR) but MUCH more often than not they are so painfully bad they make your stomach turn (see Troy, Alexander, Dragon Heart, Knights Tale, D&D Movie). Chances are the movie would be more like the latter just because that's how most movies of that genre are.

Now, if you can guarantee me that the movie would be a great movie than of course I would be all for it but that isn't saying much because I would be all for ANY movie that was guaranteed to be great.

Were I to pitch for a movie in FR, I'd make sure it had all the hooks of those good movies mentioned above to appeal to the general audience. Then insert a solid story and good actors before layering in all the more Realmslore. As much as I love this world that Ed's built, it's daunting to the casual observer unless you give them an easy "in."

Example plot that could work for a general audience: Slaves of an evil, corrupt society are freed by heroes from the North, who lead them to freedom. [Meets Hollywood pitch of under 20 words.]

Focus on one or two gladiators or slaves of Manshaka and the life you'd expect there; insert two Harpers (from outside of Calimshan) to shake things up and show the scope of the world; do the typical hero vs. the evil establishment thing, perhaps delving into underdark to escape, showing other layers and levels of evil, and sprinkle with liberal doses of magic. The FR flavor comes in knowing what/where/details on the names and places, whereas the general audience just says, "Hmph. A city of fighting slaves called Manshaka. Freedom fighters called Harpers. Oooh, more popcorn..."

While we would all love a rollicking good story in Waterdeep filled with cameos of characters we've seen for 20 years, it'd be a hard sell as there's too much to explain. If you can't explain your story in one or two sentences, it's not going to fly in Hollywood.

Too bad, as I'd love to see Brian Blessed as Mirt the Moneylender and Hugh Grant as Nain Keenwhistler.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Songrimm
Acolyte

Germany
38 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  15:43:54  Show Profile  Visit Songrimm's Homepage Send Songrimm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
now, we all know the meddling elminster has to appear in a fr-movie.
i would like to see something with red wizards as bad guys. they are so cool.
to the poster who asked about a more realistic movie: this is fr as in high magic world. the makers are bound to let some flashy spells fly around. and dont let me start on the monsters.
i would like a tv-series with recurring (sp?) characters who tour the realms. or what about the harper novells? i havent read them all but wouldnt that be tv-series material?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  16:02:53  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
<singing>"Hit me Strider one more time..."</singing>

Every time I think I pushed a topic as far as it goes....shudder.....and if that damn song stays in my head the rest of the day....
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  16:04:47  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And that's part of why I say that any such movie should tale a new tale and focus on new characters.

I'm starting to understand your point more and more. Sad when you have to be that pessimistic, but I really would prefer now to see a new story with mostly new characters. I just don't think established characters would be done with any justice as others have mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  18:11:15  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, even if a producer wanted to make a real Realms movie rather than a nominal one, and the screenplay was written by Ed himself, its Realms nature would be eroded through the production process because the director, DP, actors and perhaps above all the crew would mostly not be Realms fans -- whereas the Lord of the Rings films are as authentic as they are (which is not fully so, which wouldn't be possible) because not just Peter Jackson but the crew were Tolkien readers.

I think a TV series has a slightly better chance of being worthwhile because television is more writer-led... but perhaps even less chance of occurring because studio and network high-ups don't have an example of an existing serious fantasy series to look at.

Still, a new story and characters rather than an adaptation would be best. Something constructed with the same 'introduce the Realms' premise as Spellfire, but not trying to show as much of the Realms as possible (which was the thinking behind the spellfire power in the first place, to make a young protagonist survivable and make power groups come to her).
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane
No, I honestly don't see it happening. I don't think fantasy/D&D is getting any more mainstream popularity anytime soon.
I'm sorry to hear this. Fantasy in the broad sense is as mainstream as could be -- most of the most popular (highest box office) films of all time are fantasy in the broad sense. Fantasy in the narrow sense is also quite mainstream, judging by book sales, and getting more so all the time. I think the cultural tide has turned decisively. The output of television and journalism has never reflected real people's actual likes for fantastic material, but huge mainstream successes such as the LR movies and (if it continues) the new Doctor Who are making the habitual sneering journalistic pose more and more visibly absurd and untenable.

Edited by - Faraer on 07 Apr 2005 18:14:55
Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  20:52:00  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

And they did make a series out of Vampire, though it's probably best forgotten.

I have that series on tape... At the time, I quite enjoyed it, and I was disappointed when they had to end it (due to the death of one of the actors). I figured that by the end of the 2nd season, they'd've had to bring in the werewolves, and I was so looking forward to that.

It was alright. I just found the interaction between characters to be a bit soap-ish. I did like how the Nosferatu were portrayed, though.
Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  20:53:48  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Well, talking about the movie, I remember a little point: I want to know if it happen just with me, but when I put my hands in the FRCS and take a look at Elminster, I look, look, look again, and said: "Wow! Sean Connery as Elminster?!?!?"

That picture does indeed look like him. I wonder if that was intentional.
Go to Top of Page

Songrimm
Acolyte

Germany
38 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  22:56:56  Show Profile  Visit Songrimm's Homepage Send Songrimm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
excuse me, but the nossy in the series look like some bald headed guy and nothing else. thats not the way i picture vamps of the proud nosferatu clan.
sorry to be off topic, but had to say my mind.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  00:05:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If I recall correctly, the artist was Sam Wood. Not sure if he has a web page, but if so, you could always ask him.
Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  02:10:34  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
<singing>"Hit me Strider one more time..."</singing>

That'll give nightmares for a long, long time...

quote:

Come to think of it, Elminster and Sean look quite alike...so you think Elminster has Sean's accent too?

Playing a winged dwarf with acrophobia is fun.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  03:06:54  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'll throw my two cents in here, too...

I think a FR movie is possible, but whomever wrote the script would need to keep a couple of things in mind.

First and foremost is that the Realms are a world every bit as large and diverse as our own. It is not necessary to fit every little portion of it into a single movie. Stick to one section, with only a few of the 'power-groups'. If the movie is good, additional groups could be introduced later on in sequels. For example: I'll cite the Dune series in that there were several groups introduced in the fiirst novel, and others were just mentioned in passing. With the second book, we were introduced to the Bene Tleilax, another group that was a large as any from the first.

Secondly, established NPCs should be handled with extreme caution, if at all. There is a large, established fan base who would not take kindly to their favorite NPC being turned into some mockery of themselves, spouting 'catch-phrases' every other line. And for the most part we will be the ones laying down our hard-earned cash to see it.

On a special note, Elminster could be used, but he should be relegated to a narrator role, giving a bit of background at the beginning of the movie, and maybe an end wrap-up. Sean Connery has a great voice for it, but it should be a mature voice nonetheless.

It should be a mainstream location as well, very medieval. Calimshan would be awful. Not that I mind the city, but it would appeal to a broader audience if you stayed with a location like Tethyr or Cormyr.

While parallels will be impossible to avoid, try to stay away from making it a poor-man's Lord of the Rings. This means no multi-cultural adventuring groups featuring a human, an elf, a dwarf, and a halfling. While I'm sure we've all played in campaigns where this is done, for the most part the races of Faerûn are not as quick to "jump into bed" with each other. It's not even necessary to include all of them to begin with (see my earlier reference to 'power groups').

As for monsters, well here things will get sticky. It's far too easy to want to include a dragon or two. Resist the temptation. Stay with more humanoid monsters for the most part, but throw in one or two aberrations as a 'special case'. Similar to how Shelob was handled in the aforementioned LotR. One singular encounter with something disgustingly nasty like an illithid has a greater impact than having an army of mind flayers showing up at every turn.

Okay, I'm running off at the mouth now. Your comments are welcome!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Yggdrasil
Acolyte

Thailand
12 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  18:29:48  Show Profile  Visit Yggdrasil's Homepage Send Yggdrasil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they really do make a movie about FR, I don't think I'll watch it if it's as disappointing as the first one

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.
-Mae West
Go to Top of Page

Gaealiege
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  00:43:20  Show Profile  Visit Gaealiege's Homepage Send Gaealiege a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play World of Warcraft and as of recently I have been hearing much talk in the general chat channel about an Icewind Dale movie. Logically I would assume that this is merely wishful thinking bred from rumor, but there is always that trace amount of doubt. In regards to the earlier piece of the argument about the lawsuits in respect to a Drizzt movie, I agree with Wooly. Special interests groups would most likely find a means with which to milk this as a direct blow to their ethnicity in violation of the law. As much as we would like to think we humans are not so innately greedy and/or naive--we are.

"The hand of man could hold the multiverse in its palm, if only it could learn to unclench its fist."
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  00:45:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gaealiege

I play World of Warcraft and as of recently I have been hearing much talk in the general chat channel about an Icewind Dale movie. Logically I would assume that this is merely wishful thinking bred from rumor, but there is always that trace amount of doubt.

Any of these chat members able to provide one verifiable source for information about such a possible movie?
Go to Top of Page

Sholnfete
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  01:09:33  Show Profile  Visit Sholnfete's Homepage Send Sholnfete a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. An FR movie, I think, would be impossible. The world is too large and there are too many events occuring to make a succesful film. The reason that I think all other fantasy based films made it because they had a good start and a closed finish. We can exclude the D&D movie because it seemed more of a trial run and failed bad as most note. I do think, however, that an animated series would go far in the Realms. Anime isn't all too popular in America, so really only the fanboys'll go after the series so it won't draw a whole lot of attention. If something like that was turned into a film it would draw attention and there would be pressure on the movie makers to make more films and I don't think they're ready to handle something so large, maybe in time though.
That's my opinion though, I've talked with a few people about this topic and it crosses my mind quite alot.

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us from every corner.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  22:14:08  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We should have Pixar do it , since they are no longer under the Shadow of Disney, they should be able to have free reign to do what they want.

I know I know, people want Real People, not Animation, but a movie based in the Realms, would have such a HUGE CGI BUDGET, it would be crazy, while with animation, it would be significantly cheaper to do, plus we can get people with the correct voices for the characters, instead of having to match bodies to the characters.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

LordAnki
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  23:37:58  Show Profile  Visit LordAnki's Homepage Send LordAnki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that star wars mini-series was pretty good i thot. But if it was animated it would be cool. Anime is actually getting bigger by the month at my school. It actually pisses me off. Thats one of the reasons I went to something that no one really likes or would play. D&D XD Me and maybe like two or three other people in HS play it. Then my stepbrothers friends but they are like 24 25 something like that lol. But i don't know. Animated movie would be better i think. I want something thats not completely CG tho. I want it traditional anime style without a whole lot of special rendering.

Tip of the Month: don't drink the dirty water. You know what i'm talking about if you know what i mean.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  23:55:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

We should have Pixar do it , since they are no longer under the Shadow of Disney, they should be able to have free reign to do what they want.

Doesn't Pixar have a track record of making family animated movies? I don't see how a Realms animated film would fit the mold of the type of animated films they release.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  00:57:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pixar? Anime? Nay... I think that any FR movie, if made, should be all live action. I don't want to see the Realms in anime, and, as pointed out, Pixar does family stuff -- I can't see them doing an FR movie.

Now, before all the otaku attack, I do like my anime and manga. I just think that it's the wrong choice for an FR movie.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  02:17:07  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Doesn't Pixar have a track record of making family animated movies? I don't see how a Realms animated film would fit the mold of the type of animated films they release.

Reason I think Pixar has done only Family orient movies, is because they were under Disney's thumb.

But I think a more "traditional" animation style would be better.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Sholnfete
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  02:39:52  Show Profile  Visit Sholnfete's Homepage Send Sholnfete a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know all of these would be fairly long projects. By the time anyone got mobilized and adapted something to the big screen and finally made it after so many years many of us would be as old as Elminster. I really hope for an upcoming movie but people can only wait so long.

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us from every corner.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  10:35:56  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well quite true, but if that FR movie will take such a long time to come out, I might be in the other world then. But still I will return to watch if there is. *Chuckles*

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  17:10:42  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not an FR movie, but perhaps a start towards such a possibility appeared at GamingReport.com today. The information is posted below:

quote:

Animation World Network (AWN) is reporting that the Sci-Fi Channel and Fox Television Studios are developing a television series based on the Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast D20 MODERN campaign suppliment URBAN ARCANA for the '06-'07 season. "URBAN ARCANA will follow the cases of undercover detective Sean Mayhew as he tracks down creatures

who have crossed over from a parallel world into ours. The show is based on a Hasbro/Worlds of Wonder role playing game. Aron Coleite (CROSSING JORDAN) will write; Gary A. Randall and Rockne O'Bannon (THE TRIANGLE, FARSCAPE) will exec produce in association with Fox Television Studios."

Go to Top of Page

Antareana
Seeker

Germany
59 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  03:04:48  Show Profile  Visit Antareana's Homepage Send Antareana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

and the scribble of that picture looks even more like Sean Connery ;)

and yes, it was intended. Sam Wood (it was him who made that pic, wasn't it?) wanted to free good El from that ol' Wizard image with pointy hat and long beard (at least El did't favour blue/grey robes) and said he wanted Elminster to look more Connery-ish.
At least he mentioned that at the D&D website before the 3ed Campaign Setting was released

It is all just a past and future secret

Go to Top of Page

Lokahn Mandrake
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  19:39:50  Show Profile  Visit Lokahn Mandrake's Homepage Send Lokahn Mandrake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a suggestion, because I do think this could actually work. I a generic D&D movie or two get the go ahead from Hollywood (even though the first D&D movie was less than exemplary), then I think an FR movie has a chance (both at getting done in the first place, and at success).

To bring in $$$s and studio interest, I'd pitch it to "big" stars like Vin Diesel and Mike Myers (actors who actually play D&D and therefore would be more likely to be interested and to "get it" so to speak). Some of you may not be huge fans of Vin Diesel, but I thought he was actually very good in Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick. And he is "big" enough to draw quite a few fans to the box office (whether they know anything about D&D and the FR or not). Mike Myers could be great as a sorcerer, bard, or wizard ;). And he wouldn't have to be pitched as comic relief, they could get Jim Carrey for that ;).

Cheers,

Lokahn Mandrake

Modified 3.5DM

Does anybody else get post count envy when they look just a little bit south of The Sage's Avatar? <psst..."Don't stare Kuje, it's unseemly." ;)>
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  19:45:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lokahn Mandrake
To bring in $$$s and studio interest, I'd pitch it to "big" stars like Vin Diesel and Mike Myers (actors who actually play D&D and therefore would be more likely to be interested and to "get it" so to speak).

You do realize in just signing both those two stars, the hypothetical FR movie would have a budget that would match if not exceed the entire budget (reported at $45 million last time I checked) for the first D&D movie.

I'd love to see such stars as you have mentioned in an FR film. But, I don't see $$$$wise how it could happen.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  19:59:32  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did I read somewhere that it was Khelben who resembles Sean Connery, or did I correctly intuit it, or am I just imagining this?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000