Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 H1 - Bloodstone Pass
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  21:57:50  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Could someone please clarify the contents of Bloodstone pass (as in what comes in the box!). I expect this is the rarest FR product and i doubt ill ever lay my hands on a copy.

Also, if you have this product or have DM'd or played it, what did you think? I have gone through "H4 - The Throne of Bloodstone" but it takes place someone else (dont wanna mention it here incase of spoilers!) so i cant really get an idea about the other products in the series.

Thanks

Rad

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  00:27:06  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know of a boxed set called "Bloodstone Pass" but I have got a sourcebook called "The Bloodstone Lands" (TSR code 9267) dated 1989. The introduction to the sourcebook says:

This sourcebook is divided into nine sections.
These offer the Dungeon Master a solid overview of the region, plus details of some specific places and personalities.
Section 1: Overview of the Bloodstone Lands introduces a Dungeon Master to the region, particularly to Vaasa and Damara. This section covers the history of the region, with a close-up on the last two yearsóthe Year of the Prince and the Year of the Shadows (FR1357 and 1358). Present day is 1359, the Year of the Serpent. Recent events, created by playing the H-series through to a logical conclusion, have reduced Vaasa to its former status as an unclaimed wilderness (rich adventuring territory!). The various provinces of Damara weave a
web of political intrigue that should provide plenty for PCs to disentangle.
Section 2: What the Neighbors Think introduces Narfell and Impiltur, neighboring kingdoms with a vested interest in Vaasa and Damara. Narfell and Impiltur could themselves support a fine campaign. For this book, however, and in the context of the Bloodstone Lands, they are treated as icing on the cake that is Vaasa and Damara.
Section 3: Societies of the Bloodstone Lands presents the culture and flavor of the land. This section details religion, currency, races, and classes, all of which transform a campaign from a dice-rolling exercise into a role-playing event worthy of daydreams.
Section 4: Cities, Towns, and Villages, and Section 5: The Geography of the Region look at the physical geography and locales that PCs will encounter. Included are descriptions of various communities, their usual attitude toward strangers, and a general feel of the
more distinctive locations.
Section 6: Strongholds, Ruins, and Dungeons goes a step further, providing specific adventuring sites and "home base" locations for the players. In the Bloodstone Lands, knowing where to find trouble, and where to go to escape it, can mean the difference between a successful adventure and disaster.
The next two sections, Section 7:
Movers and Shakers and Section 8:
Traveling Bands and Organizations, give a Dungeon Master many of the NPCs that his players will encounter in the region (or PCs they may choose to run). These are the characters who
might help the PCs out of a jam or put them into one!
Finally, Section 9: The Bloodstone Lands Campaign gives some suggestions for potential adventures. It must be noted that one of these involves having your players run through the H-series of modules, rewriting the last two years of history. This could pose a problem to
Dungeon Masters using this sourcebook, as the outcome of the game may alter the situations described herein. Therefore, this section also offers tips to less-experienced Dungeon Masters.
The Dungeon Master may have to deal with his players deciding on different life-courses for the major PCs, particularly for Gareth Dragonsbane who is regarded here as the central power figure of the entire region. Crafty Dungeon Masters will slip around this by focusing on other NPCs. For example, Baron Tranth or Lady Christine can fill in any gaps in the political structures left by an uncooperative Gareth.

The set also includes a series of maps covering: Impiltur, Narfell, Ashanath, Damara and Vaasa.

If this is the item you're looking for what other information do you need?

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  10:15:45  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Kahonen. The product you refer to in your post is on of the regional sourcebooks (i loved those accessories!). The H1 box set that i mentioned is part of an adventure series often called the Bloodstone Quartet, and includes:

H1 - Bloodstone Pass
H2 - The Mines of Bloodstone
H3 - The Bloodstone Wars
H4 - The Throne of Bloodstone

They are all quite hard to locate but i hear that theyre quite good! (I have H2 and H4 but id love to get the remaining two modules)

Rad

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  13:36:37  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now I understand the confusion:

Bloodstone Pass (H1) isn't officially listed as a Forgotten Realms product. It was actually the first module released by TSR for the Battlesystem Table Top Wargaming Rules. It's product code was 9122 and it was released in 1985.

The description on the back of the product reads:

Bloodstone Pass Fantasy Game Adventure

Douglas Niles and Michael Dobson

This adventure is designed for use with the ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS game system and the AD&D BATTLESYSTEM Fantasy Combat Supplement. It cannot be played without these games produced by TSR, Inc. Components:

1 32-page adventure booklet
1 24-page army and character booklet
104 die-cut counters
12 3-D ADVENTURE FOLD-UP sheets

The first BATTLESYSTEM Supermodule from TSR, Inc!

The tiny village of Bloodstone Pass is menaced by an army of thousands of brigands, orcs, goblins, giants, and human renegades led by a powerful assassin. Outnumbered and helpless, the villagers must pay tribute in gold, food . . . slaves.
Two villagers have traveled far to find aid for their people. They have turned to you, brave and powerful adventurers, as their only hope. They cannot afford to pay more than a few silver pieces a day, but their need is great. You are invited to save the people of Bloodstone Pass. Can you organize a defense, train and equip the peasants, recruit allies, gather
intelligence . . . and win the war? BLOODSTONE PASS is an exciting goodaligned, high-level (15+) adventure that combines
roleplaying with the thrill of mass combat. A complete 3-D ADVENTURE FOLD-UP village makes the battle come alive!

Hope this helps. I've got two of the other three in the set (can't remember which ones they are) but not here so I can't give you any info on them. When I can get access to them I'll post the details

kahonen

Go to Top of Page

saylor_n
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2002 :  23:23:53  Show Profile  Visit saylor_n's Homepage Send saylor_n a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kahonen is absolutley correct in his information. As far as obtaining a copy, good luck. I performed a DAILY search of E-bay for almost two years before I found a copy of H1 suitable for my collection. However, I highly reccommend E-bay as a source.

There's nothing like a 20'diameter ball of living acid coming at you at 100MPH.
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  18:30:00  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What you need are links to holesalofes, I know a shop owner who can tie me in with that stuff, make freinds with you local supplier.

My name is Tiax, I would ask yours but I don't care to become aquainted with the dead.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  02:31:46  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NECROMANCY!

What happened to Vaasa?

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  02:50:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

NECROMANCY!

What happened to Vaasa?

It's still a monster-infested, lawless wasteland.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  02:55:59  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

NECROMANCY!

What happened to Vaasa?

Someone hasnt read RA Salvatores latest novel

Spoiler below

Vaasa is now part of Damara

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  03:31:37  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I for one AM SHOCKED, SHOCKED, SHOCKED!

That I didn't realize that was the change ;-)

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  10:25:32  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lord Rad,

There are 4 x H1 Bloodstone Pass on Ebay at the moment!!!

1 on auction from the UK but has a reserve!
3 on Buy it now but from the USA

the buy it nows start at $69.95 for an incomplete and go up to $151.26 and $299.95 all plus shipping which for a boxed set can be expensive!

I am always looking for a copy myself to resell but not at those prices!

I did bid for the UK one but I did not meet the reserve!

Good Luck

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  23:37:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

NECROMANCY!

What happened to Vaasa?

Spoiler below

Vaasa is now part of Damara

Excuse me? I have read it, thank you, and no where in that novel is it stated that Vaasa is now a part of Damara. In Gareth's last scene, he still mentions how hard he is working to clear it out and annex it, which wouldn't be the case if it was already his.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2007 :  23:40:50  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well I for one AM SHOCKED, SHOCKED, SHOCKED!

That I didn't realize that was the change ;-)

It wasn't. Like I said, in Gareth's final scene he is still TRYING to forge the kingdom of Bloodstone. He does not officially rule Vaasa. It is not stated anywhere in the novel that that is the case (and no, the note from Jarlaxle didn't hand over an entire, monster-infested country to Gareth--his words were part of his little plot to rescue Artemis, and save his own skin).

Dargoth is wrong, and jumping to conclusions. Reading comprehension, people (I'll say that if people are going to assume what I've read and what I haven't). He's also forgetting that this novel took place in the PAST, and before the current FRCS, which states that both countries are still separate.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 10 Jan 2007 23:46:18
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2007 :  16:22:19  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, as long as that silly Nihmedu elf lives in Vaasa, I am for razing the whole entire land. Geh!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2007 :  17:26:58  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

Lord Rad,

There are 4 x H1 Bloodstone Pass on Ebay at the moment!!!

1 on auction from the UK but has a reserve!
3 on Buy it now but from the USA

the buy it nows start at $69.95 for an incomplete and go up to $151.26 and $299.95 all plus shipping which for a boxed set can be expensive!

I am always looking for a copy myself to resell but not at those prices!

I did bid for the UK one but I did not meet the reserve!

Good Luck

Delz

Nobleknight also got most of these modules in yesterday. They are listed under the 1e D&D material, not the FR material. He has Blood Pass for 50 instead of the 80 to 200. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  00:02:52  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will someone tell me, please: which module features a detailed map of Ashanath?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  03:12:05  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I have stopped reading RA Salvatore after the 3rd time of "Drizzt fight ... bla bla ... mesmerizing dance of death ... dead opponent", so Vaasa is still ruled by Zhengyi until he gets killed by the players.

H1 is basically a D&D version of The seven Samurai with a town still ruled by a hereditary noble.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  11:13:31  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

[quote]Originally posted by Dargoth

H1 is basically a D&D version of The seven Samurai with a town still ruled by a hereditary noble.

That actually tempts me to buy the module. Love that movie.
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  12:59:19  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

[quote]Originally posted by Dargoth

That actually tempts me to buy the module. Love that movie.

If you have the movie in mind you can picture the events much easier, although you have to translate them into a FR style. One of the best modules ever created IMO.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  20:14:52  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, honestly, unless you really really need an original, why don't you get a PDF copy over at RPGnow or Paizo and either print it at home or in the copyshop of your choice? For home use only, of course?

The Bloodstone Pass sourcebook is one of the finest of that age.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  20:42:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Will someone tell me, please: which module features a detailed map of Ashanath?
The Unapproachable East has a good one in it, and its the most up-to-date.

I'm working on a new one of the NE (Moonsea. Bloodstone Lands, Nar) right now...

The Best I have to offer ATM is my Thesk WIP.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Aug 2008 20:43:43
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  06:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice, map, indeed!

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 29 Aug 2008 09:03:26
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  21:57:18  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Another exellent map Markus!

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ahwe Yahzhe
Acolyte

Iraq
36 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  22:38:13  Show Profile  Visit Ahwe Yahzhe's Homepage Send Ahwe Yahzhe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you say NEW MAP OF THE MOONSEA?

(drool)

Share, yes? I have no artistic ability, but wanted a version that includes all the landmarks of Thar from both Sons of Gruumsh and the Mysteries of Moonsea... even if the two governments described for Melvaunt are incompatible. (SoG followed previous sourcebooks, while MoM changed it into something else...) I'll use the 100-year gap in my 4e FR campaign to reintroduce Melvaunt as a reluctant ally of the other Moonsea cities and Cormanthor, with Thar still a threat in their backyard.

BTW, did any body else notice that Phlan is back in 4e FR? Thought that town was toast...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2008 :  01:20:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ahwe Yahzhe

BTW, did any body else notice that Phlan is back in 4e FR?
I didn't think that was much of a surprise. As Grand History indicated (SPOILER):- In 1375 DR Zhentil Keep marched in and took over Phlan.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  12:01:00  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Btw. the excellent Northern Journey campaign has some pretty good and detailed background for the H1-4 modules (part 7). Sadly this material is soooooooooo extensive that its a long read.

Edited by - Pandora on 09 Sep 2008 12:01:33
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2008 :  21:15:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone else had trouble opening up those files? All the other Northern Journey files open just fine for me, but for some reason I get an 'error message' whenever I try to un-compress any of the Bloodstone files. Windows just says "Unrecognized Compression Format". Its weird, because I would think ALL the NJ journals would be the same format, but none of the others are giving me that problem.

If someone wants to be a pal and re-compress them and send them to me, I'd be most grateful. I used the NJ map of Impiltur for a reference when I did my version, and it worked out very well, and now that I'm working on both a 3e and 4e version of the Bloodstonne Lands, I could use all the help I can get.

I found a great little story about Vassa in Realms of Shadow that dates back before Zhengyi, so now I have to put all those cute little marshes and moors back on the map.

quote:
Originally posted by Ahwe Yahzhe

Did you say NEW MAP OF THE MOONSEA?

(drool)

Yes, I'm combining ALL of the 1e/2e/3e sources, along with any applicable 4e ones (like ruins, which should have been there in 3e, even if created for 4e). There was a strange map of Thar posted awhile back to go with a Rich Baker article, and it made a lot more sense once his novel Swordmage came out (at the time, I think people were asssuming it was a 3e map of Thar).

Also trying to get some locales from the Pools of... series, but some of the stuff just doesn't jibe (like the complete lack of taking into account Zhentil Keep).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Sep 2008 21:15:45
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2008 :  01:31:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Has anyone else had trouble opening up those files? All the other Northern Journey files open just fine for me, but for some reason I get an 'error message' whenever I try to un-compress any of the Bloodstone files. Windows just says "Unrecognized Compression Format". Its weird, because I would think ALL the NJ journals would be the same format, but none of the others are giving me that problem.

If someone wants to be a pal and re-compress them and send them to me, I'd be most grateful. I used the NJ map of Impiltur for a reference when I did my version, and it worked out very well, and now that I'm working on both a 3e and 4e version of the Bloodstonne Lands, I could use all the help I can get.
I'll look into the archives and see if there's a problem, Markus.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2008 :  03:11:01  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had no trouble unzipping any of the files on a Mac, but I have no idea what application is needed to open a file with the "fcw" extension.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2008 :  03:13:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... an .fcw extension doesn't immediately sound familiar. It might be an error in the file declaration.

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Sep 2008 03:14:11
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2008 :  16:14:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'll look into the archives and see if there's a problem, Markus.

Thanxs, Sage.

You too, JK - I hadn't noticed the file ext thing. I've solved problems running videos before just by chnaging the ext, so that may work here as well.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000