Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 A FRCG Proposal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  16:42:24  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if there was someone out there who has purchased the FRCG and is not happy with it who would be willing to donate it to those of us who do not want to "vote with our wallet" for it but would like a chance to give it a good look-over at their leisure. This is what I propose:

1) Person A has book and is willing to donate it.
2) Persons B and C sign up (first come, first serve) on a sign-up sheet (here or somewhere else online) because they would like to read the book.
3) Person A ships book to Person B for the cost of shipping.
4) When Person B is done with the book, she/he ships the book to Person C for the cost of shipping.
5) And so on, and so forth...

First, we need one (or more) person willing to donate their book(s).
Second, we need to organize the sign-up sheet.
Third, this system could easily be exploited, so we would have to be willing to trust each other and willing to be trustworthy. And maybe if someone decided they wanted to keep the book, we could find a way for them to send money to the person who donated the book.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  16:52:58  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An alternate to this idea might be to suggest that your local library purchase a copy. I know that my library even has an online form that makes it easy for patrons to suggest books.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  00:09:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The library is one way, and I can think of several more that are MUCH easier then what you propose.

1) Borrow it from a friend
2) Look at it in the store
3) Buy it and return it
4) find some other 'nefarious' way of viewing the book with paying for it...

Mailing it all around the world seems like a lot more trouble then its worth, just to spite WotC. In the long run, the Mail system will have made far more then the cost of the book off of us.

If you really can't live without the info that badly, then you SHOULD be buying it, anyway.

Just sayin'....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  00:37:17  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not trying to threadjack here, but it actually might be kind of cool to do a "travel gnome" kind of thing with some item of Realmslore--a novel or supplement or what-have-you--as a community-building exercise. As an example, I took this photo of my copy of Sentinelspire while I was on vacation and happened to have the book in my daypack when I came across a real life spire in the Green Mountains on a hike. I could mail it to somebody else, who could photograph it (at their own local spire? something like that?) and mail it on. We could post all the photos to a shared Flikr group or something. And that's just an example, it could be almost anything tied to the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  01:47:58  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there should many ways to purchase this tome without "voting with your wallet" I imagine copies will soon be/ if not already, available from places like 1/2 price, ebay and such.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  06:00:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

there should many ways to purchase this tome without "voting with your wallet" I imagine copies will soon be/ if not already, available from places like 1/2 price, ebay and such.

It's been available on eBay for a while. I got my copy from there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  16:31:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Christopher_Rowe

I used to run the International Mini-Exchange on the Coolminiornot forums, and it was a lot of fun.

Every four months or so, I would compile a list of everyone who wanted to participate (usually around 35-50 people), and then randomly pick names out of a hat (literally!), creating an 'order' for sending. Person 'A' would send to person 'B', Person 'B' would send to 'C', 'C' would send to 'D', and so on. The last name would then send to the first.

I sent and received minis from France, Australia, UK, Denmark, Canada, etc, etc.. it was loads of fun.

I'm not sure if something like that would work here, though, because people would be a lot more likely to part with a mini or two that they have lost interest in, then an old Game source.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Sep 2008 16:34:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  16:44:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I myself have a reluctance to part with any book, even if I haven't touched it in years and have no intention of reading it again. If it wasn't for the fire, I'd still have books that I bought 15 years ago that had never been read!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  17:16:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I sent and received minis from France, Australia, UK, Denmark, Canada, etc, etc.. it was loads of fun.
So you've received minis from Australia. Were they traded with someone, or did you purchase them from an Australian-based distributor?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  17:55:43  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I myself have a reluctance to part with any book, even if I haven't touched it in years and have no intention of reading it again. If it wasn't for the fire, I'd still have books that I bought 15 years ago that had never been read!

I know that feeling. People can pry my FR stuff only out of my cold dead hands
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  18:00:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe
As an example, I took this photo of my copy of Sentinelspire while I was on vacation and happened to have the book in my daypack when I came across a real life spire in the Green Mountains on a hike. I could mail it to somebody else, who could photograph it (at their own local spire? something like that?) and mail it on.

The Green Mountains in Vermont? I went to that area last autumn and loved it!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  18:02:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, one could buy the book second-hand. I'm thinking of doing that to get Ed's contributions--I've looked through the book, and honestly, it doesn't interest me enough to want it otherwise, not even for the purpose of sating my curiosity.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  18:21:23  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Rin. Everytime I go to the bookstore, I try to read a bit more of the book, but I find that it just gives me more ideas on how to make the Spellplague and Gods' Death not happen rather than interest in the book.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  22:19:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So you've received minis from Australia. Were they traded with someone, or did you purchase them from an Australian-based distributor?

I received them from an Australian friend on that site.

What we did (being rabid miniature enthusiasts) was pick at least one (but usually several) minis from our vast collections that we ourselves have lost interest in for whatever reason, but would love to see someone else paint up.

The ones sent me were from an Austaralian miniatures company...

They were 'cheerleaders' - I forget the company name, but they did a line of figures similar to Games Workshop's Bloodbowl.

And not always minis, either - My buddy included TWO Australian beers in the package, and I sent an English version of Harry Potter to a friend in France (who sent me a boatload of French minis unavailable here).

I use to also do prizes - I would send a Reaper Dragon to whatever name came out after mine (I was able to get them for about ½ price from my LGS, who was helping out).

We also raised $7000 for the Tsunami Relief effort - Painters from all around the world painted a single mini, and the whole thing was assembled into a Warhammer Army and auctioned on E-Bay.

I did four Gnobblers.

See? I'm not always a total jerk.

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Sep 2008 02:04:44
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2008 :  23:50:17  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

]

The Green Mountains in Vermont? I went to that area last autumn and loved it!

The very ones. I spent a week in Montpelier earlier this summer. Great town, great area.

Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2008 :  01:10:17  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Yes, one could buy the book second-hand. I'm thinking of doing that to get Ed's contributions--I've looked through the book, and honestly, it doesn't interest me enough to want it otherwise, not even for the purpose of sating my curiosity.

Ironically, I'm thinking of doing the same. I disapprove of the 4e version of the FRCS, enough to not actually wishing to pay WoTC any money for it, but I am open-minded enough to read some of the contributions to it from authors I enjoy, such as inswws Ed.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2008 :  01:31:52  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it could just be a fun project to try and see how far it got...

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  00:07:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

The very ones. I spent a week in Montpelier earlier this summer. Great town, great area.

Yes indeed, I can't wait to go back to VT.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 07 Sep 2008 00:07:34
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2008 :  11:19:04  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I agree with Rin. Everytime I go to the bookstore, I try to read a bit more of the book, but I find that it just gives me more ideas on how to make the Spellplague and Gods' Death not happen rather than interest in the book.

Me too... although I have a variety of quite workable ones now, including a solution to believably retcon the whole thing out of existence if it becomes necessary for Wizbro (which I doubt, sadly). At least, the retcon is just as believable as, or slightly more than, the whole Sellplague and "All Ao's Children" episode to begin with, and its outcome makes a lot more sense.

Edit: And yes, I've dealt with the time jump in that retcon too. The solution was in Abeir, oddly enough... and that's all I'm saying.

But, as I've said elsewhere, it's a non-issue for me, because our campaign jumped ahead a generation when we picked it up again two years ago after six years off due to RL and other such annoyances; our group's original campaign was in 2E, and the two of us who are still involved have reversed roles; I was the DM then, and he's the DM now. He had an idea involving the children of the old party, and it's been really cool to play it out. The obnoxious gnome fighter/thief from the original party is now the owner of a trading company based in Waterdeep, and he had hired us to retrieve some stolen merchandise; that was how the whole campaign got started. The current year is 1403 DR, thanks to the generation jump combined with some in-game downtime in the original campaign for stronghold construction and magical item creation (mostly the former; castles take a long time to build, even with magic, if you're being creative about it).

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 29 Sep 2008 11:53:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000