Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dwelves...do they exist?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  17:26:51  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A question came up to my mind after I visited a dwarven mine and an elven settlement. Is it possible for them to cross breed? These...'dwelves', do they exist? What do they look like? What abilities do they possess? I'm really interested about this and hope for feedback, be it suggestions or comments. A better name instead of 'dwelf' is also appreciated.

Playing a winged dwarf with acrophobia is fun.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  17:28:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but they are rare. See Dwarves Deep and 1 is also mentioned in the Cormanthyr sourcebook.

As for abilities, looks, etc. Ed or Steven would be the best to who can supply details. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  17:36:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarf/elf crossbreeds... I'll bet they love petrified wood!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  17:44:24  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Yes, but they are rare. See Dwarves Deep and 1 is also mentioned in the Cormanthyr sourcebook.

As for abilities, looks, etc. Ed or Steven would be the best to who can supply details. :)

A thousand thanks. Now two questions come into mind: How are they brought up? And how are they received by their community?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  18:10:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhezarnos
A thousand thanks. Now two questions come into mind: How are they brought up? And how are they received by their community?

To hard to answer, really. It would vary from community to community. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  18:11:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Dwarf/elf crossbreeds... I'll bet they love petrified wood!

Funny. :)

Go to Top of Page

Jargan
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  02:05:06  Show Profile  Visit Jargan's Homepage Send Jargan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What else are they going to come up with? Dwelves...

" It's are wits that make us men."
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  02:14:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jargan

What else are they going to come up with? Dwelves...

Hey its 3ed anything can breed with anything.

The Drageloth takes the cake when comes to the Ewwww factor

Ive been buying the D&D mini line and I have both a Glabezu and a Female drow cleric mini

the female Drow cleric comes up to the Glabezu's knees............

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Jargan
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  02:16:51  Show Profile  Visit Jargan's Homepage Send Jargan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drow pride themselves on beauty....how could they 'you know' with that?

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  02:20:49  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now THERE'S a picture I don't need!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  02:27:25  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Now THERE'S a picture I don't need!

Heres another one

How well "endowered" do you think a 15 feet tall 5,500 pound Glabrezu is?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 20 Mar 2005 02:30:44
Go to Top of Page

Jargan
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  02:29:27  Show Profile  Visit Jargan's Homepage Send Jargan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok this is quite enough....you guys know im 15 right

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  02:31:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok this is quite enough....you guys know im 15 right

Then you better not read RA Salvatores novel Homeland

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Jargan
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  02:32:21  Show Profile  Visit Jargan's Homepage Send Jargan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished the entire salvatore trilogies...

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  02:33:55  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Finished the entire salvatore trilogies...

Then youve already read about Kinky Demon sex

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Jargan
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  02:36:44  Show Profile  Visit Jargan's Homepage Send Jargan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really dont remember any, but i try not to remember those things.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  02:39:06  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really dont remember any, but i try not to remember those things.

It actually isnt that stated, I didnt pick it up until I read the Monsters of Faerun entry for the Drageloth and Id read Homeland 3 or 4 times before that and never picked up what was going on

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Jargan
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  02:40:16  Show Profile  Visit Jargan's Homepage Send Jargan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh....I have only read Homeland 2 times.

Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  05:04:39  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You think they'd do a cross-breed with a dwarf? The fiends, I mean. Wonder what's the end product...

Edited by - Rhezarnos on 20 Mar 2005 05:05:24
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  05:08:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You think they'd do a cross-breed with a dwarf? The fiends, I mean. Wonder what's the end product...

Theres a cross breed between a Dwarf and Devil its called a Durzagon its in MM2

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  06:13:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Theres a cross breed between a Dwarf and Devil its called a Durzagon its in MM2

And the maeluths... a planetouched variety of dwarf and devil. They're detailed in the 3e Fiend Folio. Here's an illustration - http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50126.jpg

The maeluth is the first creature from the left.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  06:22:03  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi (first post here)

So, an elf/dwarf crossbreed, hmm.

Well, since both parents are from such long lived races, I'd say that the child has the ability to grow up extraordinarily skilled. Not to mention, the potential for two such massively different races actually blending would give the child amazing potential.

The Elf -2 con would be cancelled out by the +2 con of the dwarf. The elven +2 dex would probably leave as well, being as the child was probably bulkier. Elves are renown for their beauty, probably canceling out the -2 dwarven charisma bonus.

Taller than dwarves, but thicker than elves. However, the odd combination of genetics means that the child's cellular structure will break down much faster than either of the parents, resulting in a shorter lifespan.

Er…

So, I'd say

Dwelves
+4 skill points at first level, 1 additional point per level thereafter
1 bonus feat at first level.
Use the human height, weight and age tables.

*grin*

>.>
<.<
>.>

*points* Look! Storms getting naked again! *runs the other way, makes a hide check*

EDIT: Fixed a spelling mistake.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis

Edited by - Jindael on 20 Mar 2005 06:23:21
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  09:42:54  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*SPUTTER*
Dwarves and elves! First question is where would they live? Caves in the hilly areas or low forested mountain regions is the best place for them. Master craftsmen no doubt. Looks? Pointy eared, not as "full-bodied" as a full blooded dwarf. I don't see them having any ability bonuses or restrictions.
Interesting combo, I'll have to give this a bit more thought.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Rhezarnos
Learned Scribe

Malaysia
131 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  10:00:42  Show Profile  Visit Rhezarnos's Homepage Send Rhezarnos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgot to add this part...
Which pantheon would they worship? Elven or dwarven...or both?

Since elves are expert archers and trackers while dwarves are excellent melee fighters and engineeers, how about 'dwelves'? I'm thinking that they'll get all their parents' skills, just not as skilled as a pure blooded elf/dwarf.

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  12:11:19  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Due to the huge difference in the nature of the dwarves and elves I personally almost everything of their parents nature 'cancelling out' if you like and basically you end up with a human template :)
Go to Top of Page

Draighox
Acolyte

Lithuania
12 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  12:41:18  Show Profile  Visit Draighox's Homepage Send Draighox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think, dwelves could choose either pantheon. Like half-elves. They normally choose either human, or elven pantheon.

It's okay to eat fish because they don't have any feelings. - Kurt Cobain
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  15:27:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Forgot to add this part...

It would depend on how they are raised.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  15:55:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually allow a rather "open" interpretation for deity worship by players who choose half-breed races for their characters.

It's largely in response to a fair number of players who I've encountered who seem to have what can only be called "atheistic" PCs who are either half-orcs, half-elves... or even planetouched.

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Mar 2005 15:56:27
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  06:28:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric Boyd mentioned a dwelf of the Ironstar clan IIRC in one of his Mintiper's Chapbook articles - the one on Myth Glaurach I think.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  07:18:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was.

From Part 5: Myth Glaurach of Mintiper's Chapbook -
quote:
As implied previously, the central caster of the variant of Mythanthar’s create mythal spell in this instance was Tisharu Craulnober. She imbued one major and one minor power into the mythal. Four secondary casters participated in the raising of Myth Glaurach’s mythal, including Aelynthi of the Eagles, a female moon elf of Eaerlanni ancestry and Clan Archmage of House Alenuath, Isinghar "Feyrune" Ironstar, a dwelf runecarver and archmage of Ammarindar, the Nameless Chosen, and Tsaer "the Horned" Nyamtharsar, a male moon elf of Eaerlanni ancestry and Clan Archmage of House Nyamtharsar.
The editing and emphasis added to this quoted text was my own.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  18:38:34  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

It was.

From Part 5: Myth Glaurach of Mintiper's Chapbook -
quote:
As implied previously, the central caster of the variant of Mythanthar’s create mythal spell in this instance was Tisharu Craulnober. She imbued one major and one minor power into the mythal. Four secondary casters participated in the raising of Myth Glaurach’s mythal, including Aelynthi of the Eagles, a female moon elf of Eaerlanni ancestry and Clan Archmage of House Alenuath, Isinghar "Feyrune" Ironstar, a dwelf runecarver and archmage of Ammarindar, the Nameless Chosen, and Tsaer "the Horned" Nyamtharsar, a male moon elf of Eaerlanni ancestry and Clan Archmage of House Nyamtharsar.
The editing and emphasis added to this quoted text was my own.

Dwelves....okay, I'll stop myself early before I start doing haiku about stone shelves and dungeon delves....

As stated above (and like half-elves), they favor and adopt the lifestyle/culture under which they are raised. Same goes for which gods they revere.

Both elves and dwarves have serious cognitive dissonance when it comes to dwelves, as (unlike half-elves or half-orcs, IMO) there's no set form or expectation for how they'll look. It's anyone's guess if you'll end up with a dwarf's body size and shape with elven features and ears or an elf's body but stocky vs. svelte and rather hairier than the norm. Dwarven parents may mourn their child's inability to grow a decent beard, thanks to their elven half, while elves may grumble that the child is more interested in the dirt rather than the tree from which it springs. Most likely, they're only comfortable among some societies that embrace acceptance and unity (like Myth Drannor or Miyeritar or elsewhere).

That said, I was surprised by that Myth Glaurach note. Methinks I'll have to talk to Eric and find out what else he's had the Blackstaff up to while I've not been watching....if only for my own curiousity, of course.

Steven
(and some day I'll tell y'all about the Pentad, an alliance of the churches of five gods of four races...but not today, as only three dwelves worshiped among them, and none of them reached high priest stage or any ranking of note)

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000