Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Cairn of Moonlight
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2005 :  18:45:00  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

I would like to have any info on a site that I saw on FR electronic atlas, it's the Cairn of Moonlight located in the Thurnstone Pass (in Silvermarches, near Nethers moutains).

I have looked in many 2E products and found nothing.

Thanks.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2005 :  19:46:46  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"The Cairn of Moonlight does indeed lie within the confines of Turnstone Pass, containing the bones of some two hundred men interred by Mintiper and his five surviving comrades immediately following the battle’s end. The barrow’s exact location is revealed only on nights when the moon is full, and then only to those who stand in the correct spot. When the surviving Moonlight Men erected the cairn, they situated it so that its position was revealed when the moon’s radiance was observed through a nigh-circular gap in a nearby stone. That landmark has since been buried under a ton of rock by Turlang’s treants and allied galeb duhr, so it is unlikely even Mintiper could find the gravesite today. Interred within the Cairn are many magical items employed by the Moonlight Men, including an amulet of leadership, at least two horns of blasting, a horn of valor, a ring of armoring, a staff of thunder and lightning, and a talisman of memorization, as well as several unique items mentioned below."

from: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mc/mc20010829a more info available.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2005 :  20:06:36  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks a lot
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2005 :  23:19:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Mintiper's Chapbook" was the best series ever to hit the WotC website IMHO (but I'm biased because the North has always been one of my favourite regions). It would be great to see more or something similar in the future.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2005 :  23:27:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

"Mintiper's Chapbook" was the best series ever to hit the WotC website IMHO (but I'm biased because the North has always been one of my favourite regions). It would be great to see more or something similar in the future.

-- George Krashos

I, too, really enjoyed that series. I'd not mind seeing a little more on Mintiper Moonsilver.

But of the old features, I think I'd rather see Steven Schend's Realms By Night series continued.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Mar 2005 23:29:09
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  01:45:14  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

Oh agreed! I love that series. I find I am still mining it for lore. I keep going back to it and finding new things. It is my favorite website article (or series of articles) to date. And there have been a lot of good ones too! I am also very fond of the portals series. But Mintper's Chapbooks beat them all!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  05:23:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Without a doubt, Mintiper's Chapbook is a favorite among many Realms fans... myself greatly included .

I always wished that it hadn't been discontinued, and even toyed with the notion that perhaps one day an entire sourcebook/chapbook would be published by WotC... filled with tidbits for the Realms North just like these articles. All fluff, and no crunch.

'Tis a dream...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  02:58:06  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

I completely agree, 100%. I've tried to get the Mintiper's Chapbook in pdf, and cannot find it because of course WotC nuked it. There is one on RealmsHelp, but in text only.

Do you, or anyone else have pdf's of that? It is absolutely a phenomenal series!

Best regards,

quote:

-- George Krashos

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  03:34:48  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Skeptic,

Here is the most recent information in light of the links below not working anymore (selfish WotC).

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Battle_of_Turnstone_Pass

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

I would like to have any info on a site that I saw on FR electronic atlas, it's the Cairn of Moonlight located in the Thurnstone Pass (in Silvermarches, near Nethers moutains).

I have looked in many 2E products and found nothing.

Thanks.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  04:01:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not that WotC is selfish, it's that when it comes to their web content, they're either lazy or incompetent -- or both. They keep rearranging their website, and for Lurue only knows what reason, this involves shuffling around stuff that's no longer active -- and then not updating any links, anywhere.

I once contacted their web folks directly to get help looking for a file, and they couldn't find it -- but I did later find it by getting creative with playing with URLs.

I know for a fact that there are files on their site dating back to 2000, without any links to them anywhere on the WotC site.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  07:48:59  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I choose to agree with you, 90%, haha. I was trying to add a little nice in there for frankly no good reason.

I think where I diverge from you is that I think it is incompetence and planning. I think they have developed a product/brand strategy that realizes the power of the Realms, and are looking to homogenize the old guard with the newer Realms enthusiasts. The best way to do that is reduce the amount of cross-chatter from the 'old' stuff and get them talking about the same, new material.

They don't want people pulling up Mintiper's Chapbook for example, as they cannot control the narrative on that stuff.

To be perfectly frank, I am surprised they haven't made inroads against you all here to shut you down. They are a petty, controlling, trollish lot at WotC.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's not that WotC is selfish, it's that when it comes to their web content, they're either lazy or incompetent -- or both. They keep rearranging their website, and for Lurue only knows what reason, this involves shuffling around stuff that's no longer active -- and then not updating any links, anywhere.

I once contacted their web folks directly to get help looking for a file, and they couldn't find it -- but I did later find it by getting creative with playing with URLs.

I know for a fact that there are files on their site dating back to 2000, without any links to them anywhere on the WotC site.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  11:13:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. Just checked. All of the surviving links to old FR articles are now gone. Ridiculous. Good thing I had them all downloaded.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  11:15:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

I choose to agree with you, 90%, haha. I was trying to add a little nice in there for frankly no good reason.

I think where I diverge from you is that I think it is incompetence and planning. I think they have developed a product/brand strategy that realizes the power of the Realms, and are looking to homogenize the old guard with the newer Realms enthusiasts. The best way to do that is reduce the amount of cross-chatter from the 'old' stuff and get them talking about the same, new material.

They don't want people pulling up Mintiper's Chapbook for example, as they cannot control the narrative on that stuff.

To be perfectly frank, I am surprised they haven't made inroads against you all here to shut you down. They are a petty, controlling, trollish lot at WotC.

No, it's just incompetence. They've been moving around and losing stuff since long before 4E was inflicted on us. They were losing this content when it was still current.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  16:28:57  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Well, I can certainly acknowledge anything is possible.

Do you feel they are incompetent to an almost 100% confidence level?

I ask, because as Master Krashos just pointed out, it appears that ]8]all links are now gone.

I think it is a continuity issue. They know they've been screwing up for a long time with continuity, etc., and this has been their opportunity to ensure they don't have to have competent people, that demand higher wages for their skill set, working diligently to keep it all squared away. They can just reboot it effectively.

Again, anything is possible, and I of course cannot prove either your assertion or mine, but the rather almost seeming methodical nature of their archives being removed makes it appear more contrived than mere incompetence.

Just an unfounded opinion on my side.

Did you happen to take note back in the day, along with your assertion that a particular volume of links were defunct, since we can look at their archives now and see that it appears 100% of the links are gone?

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

Master Rupert,

They don't want people pulling up Mintiper's Chapbook[/i] for example, as they cannot control the narrative on that stuff.

No, it's just incompetence. They've been moving around and losing stuff since long before 4E was inflicted on us. They were losing this content when it was still current.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  16:31:26  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

Any chance I could get a copy of those chapbooks from you? :)

Oghma would bless you, I am certain of it!:)

Best regards,

quote:

Wow. Just checked. All of the surviving links to old FR articles are now gone. Ridiculous. Good thing I had them all downloaded.

-- George Krashos

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  20:00:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Master Rupert,

I ask, because as Master Krashos just pointed out, it appears that ]8]all[/i] links are now gone.

I think it is a continuity issue. They know they've been screwing up for a long time with continuity, etc., and this has been their opportunity to ensure they don't have to have competent people, that demand higher wages for their skill set, working diligently to keep it all squared away. They can just reboot it effectively.

Again, anything is possible, and I of course cannot prove either your assertion or mine, but the rather almost seeming methodical nature of their archives being removed makes it appear more contrived than mere incompetence.

Did you happen to take note back in the day, along with your assertion that a particular volume of links were defunct, since we can look at their archives now and see that it appears 100% of the links are gone?

I've not bothered with the Wizards site in a while, and I can't even try to access it whilst at work... But every time they've rearranged their site, they've shuffled stuff around without updating any links. So given how long it's been since the content was posted, it's more likely that the pages that once held the links have also been shuffled into the oblivion of their digital purgatory.

And since the links are never updated, you can't find the content, even with their search engine.

You don't have to take down content if no one can find it... And taking it down takes time and money. WotC doesn't waste a dollar it doesn't have to, and since there's no money to be made from the digital content, they don't bother updating links -- it's cheaper than actively removing the content, but just as effective.

Honestly, I think the folks at WotC don't even know what all lurks on their servers. The fact that their web folks were unable to help me find a file I later found backs that one up.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  20:40:59  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

The WayBack Machine worked. It is all there. You were 100% correct on the archive leading to it, and the links being toast.

Thank you much!

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

Master Rupert,

I ask, because as Master Krashos just pointed out, it appears that ]8]all[/i] links are now gone.

I've not bothered with the Wizards site in a while, and I can't even try to access it whilst at work... But every time they've rearranged their site, they've shuffled stuff around without updating any links. So given how long it's been since the content was posted, it's more likely that the pages that once held the links have also been shuffled into the oblivion of their digital purgatory.

And since the links are never updated, you can't find the content, even with their search engine.

You don't have to take down content if no one can find it... And taking it down takes time and money. WotC doesn't waste a dollar it doesn't have to, and since there's no money to be made from the digital content, they don't bother updating links -- it's cheaper than actively removing the content, but just as effective.

Honestly, I think the folks at WotC don't even know what all lurks on their servers. The fact that their web folks were unable to help me find a file I later found backs that one up.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000