Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Komats Cave and the Demonreef
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  02:00:33  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

My FR cdrom atlas has a site called Komats cave each its just west of Reth in the Vilhon Reach. Ive had a look in Sea of Fallen stars and Vilhon reach but they dont seem to have any info on Komats cave

Also is it just me or does the bay that Reef sits on look like an Impact crater? The bay looks rather circular

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  21:53:31  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one?

Is Komats cave another "For the DM to develope" site like those in Cormyr?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  04:51:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least, that is how I've always interpreted the Cave when I've looked over the atlas. There are many places like it through the mapped areas anyway. That's something I've always liked about the atlas.

I could give you my interpretation of Komats Cave, but it's linked to an event in Mystaran history and would make little sense unless you know the history of the 'Known World' rather well. As for the Demon Reef... it's not something I've covered in any great detail, but from my campaigns, I know there is an orcish mercenary band still lurking in the area.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  05:46:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ive got my own idea

*Evil Banite laughter*

(Goes back to what hes working on)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  06:01:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With such an evil laugh... I'm hoping you're willing to share this idea?

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  06:22:18  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Behold Komat

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50077.jpg

I havent decided which one yet

-17600 When the Elves used High magic to rip a piece from Arvandor to create Evermeet they also tore away a piece of a piece of the sea bottom from Fated Depths this piece planar debris came crashing down on Faerun like a meteor creating a massive crater and bay where the Demonreef now stands.

The Aquatic Demons that rid the planar debris down to Faerun discovered that they where trapped within the borders of the Demonreef and could not leave

*-8000 An evil Sea Elf Demonologist finds a way to dismiss the bindings that tire the Demons to the Demonreef. The Demons where eventually stopped by the combined might of the elves and the Mermen who used High magic to bind the Demons literally into the Black coral of the Demonreef*

However the elves and the Mermen failed to bind all of the Demons, Komat escaped the Demonreef before the Spell could be completed and to this day she lurks within in the Demonreef preying on all who enter

Text between the * * has been drawn and paraphrased from The Sea of Fallen stars source book

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  14:01:56  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Info on the Demonreef is on page 134 of Sea of Fallen Stars; I can't find the info on Komat's Cave, as it may've been lost one or two hard drive crashes back. It probably was one of those things I've got random notes on and meant to write it up fully but I ran out of room because I overwrote SOFS. I'll try and track it down later when I'm not at work, but I'm guessing it was a koalinth's cave or a sea hag's lair or something equally noxious.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  14:23:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Behold Komat

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50077.jpg

I havent decided which one yet

-17600 When the Elves used High magic to rip a piece from Arvandor to create Evermeet they also tore away a piece of a piece of the sea bottom from Fated Depths this piece planar debris came crashing down on Faerun like a meteor creating a massive crater and bay where the Demonreef now stands.

The Aquatic Demons that rid the planar debris down to Faerun discovered that they where trapped within the borders of the Demonreef and could not leave

*-8000 An evil Sea Elf Demonologist finds a way to dismiss the bindings that tire the Demons to the Demonreef. The Demons where eventually stopped by the combined might of the elves and the Mermen who used High magic to bind the Demons literally into the Black coral of the Demonreef*

However the elves and the Mermen failed to bind all of the Demons, Komat escaped the Demonreef before the Spell could be completed and to this day she lurks within in the Demonreef preying on all who enter

Text between the * * has been drawn and paraphrased from The Sea of Fallen stars source book

Based on what you've said here, and the images you've provided on the three main water-based demons... I would suggest the myrmyxicus (which is the top demon in the image you've linked to in the Fiend Folio gallery).

Myrmyxicuses are considered one of the most powerful of tanar'ri and are usually responsible for ruling large floating underwater domains in the seas on the Abyss. So perhaps the domain from the Fated Depths that the elves accidently tear away, is part of this particular tanar'ri's domain. The other two demons in the image - the skulvyn and the wastrilith - could still populate this domain also... acting as servants for the myrmyxicus. The skulvyn shall hunt the waters for intruders... protecting their home, and the wastrilith rule in the tanar'ri lord's name running the smaller areas of the kingdom.

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Mar 2005 14:25:30
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  21:15:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was actually leaning towards making Komat either a Wastrilith or a Skulvyn mainly because a Mymyxicus is so powerful it couldnt resist causing trouble earlier. Komat has managed to survive by keeping out of sight for almost 10000 years. It has been preying on ships that foolishly enter the Demonreef but it wont leave the Reef for fear of discovery and imprisonment

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2005 :  05:51:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In that case, I would suggest the wastrilith. The wastriliths are better suited for what you're suggesteding simply because the skulvyn have a history of being impossible to control and less likely to maintain themselves in any real position of power.

They almost always function as servants for other powerful demons.

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Mar 2005 05:52:45
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  17:37:29  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Dargoth,

Where on the FR CD Atlas did you find that? Did you have to zoom in really close? I looked right at Reth (which is of course right on the coast) and I couldn't see it at all. Either across the Reach, or nearby.

I have all of the updated installed on my atlas too.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

My FR cdrom atlas has a site called Komats cave each its just west of Reth in the Vilhon Reach. Ive had a look in Sea of Fallen stars and Vilhon reach but they dont seem to have any info on Komats cave

Also is it just me or does the bay that Reef sits on look like an Impact crater? The bay looks rather circular

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  17:57:01  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Make sure you have Patch #3. I worked with Linda Kokomu to add lots of obscure sites in patch #3.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  18:01:53  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

Thank you for that suggestion. :)

I went and searched it out just to make sure that I had it, and.... wait for it, as I know you will be shocked beyond anything with this Phoenix Prophecy like development....

WotC took down the patch.

https://status.wizards.com/

Any chance you just have that patch sitting around in your download folder?

By chance do you have pdfs of Mintiper's Chapbooks while I am asking? :) haha

Best regards as always! :)

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Make sure you have Patch #3. I worked with Linda Kokomu to add lots of obscure sites in patch #3.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  18:55:59  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tweeted at Chris Perkins or WotC about all the missing content?

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  19:18:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe I have a copy of patch #3 and a copy of mintipers chapbooks but they are in html format not pdf.

No idea how I might get them to you though.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  19:21:36  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Dallison,

I will shoot you a PM with my email address if you wouldn't mind sending them to me there? I would be very appreciative good sir.

Thank you kindly in advance!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

I believe I have a copy of patch #3 and a copy of mintipers chapbooks but they are in html format not pdf.

No idea how I might get them to you though.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  19:44:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt it's been taken down -- just that the links that once led there are gone.

Try the Wayback Machine and the below URL.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/ex20020218a

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Feb 2020 20:14:24
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  20:38:35  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I always admit when I am wrong, and indeed I was [how else do we learn, right?]!

The WayBack Machine solved it. I am downloading every damn thing I can now!

Thank you greatly good sir! :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I doubt it's been taken down -- just that the links that once led there are gone.

Try the Wayback Machine and the below URL.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/ex20020218a

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000