Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 How Fey'ri view Drows, and vice versa
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  02:10:41  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

I would like to know, according to "canon" source, how Fey'ri view Drows and vice versa. Also, if I would like to ask the question directly to a designer in the Chamber of Sage, who would be the appropriate one?

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  04:44:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, maybe the Designer Thread? Or perhaps Rich Baker, who is both a designer and the author of a trilogy featuring the fey'ri.

This is an educated guess on my part, but based on what I've read of Forsaken House and other sources (I consider the novels to be sources, of a sort), I doubt these races have much love for each other. Drow consider themselves superior to all other beings--including other types of elves--and look upon them with contempt. I doubt being a gold elf with demon blood in your veins is going to endear you to the drow, but I won't say they wouldn't work with each other if they felt it served their purposes.

Same goes for the fey'ri. Although these are gold elves with demon blood in their veins, I can tell from Sarya's attitude in the novel Forsaken House that the fey'ri and daemonfey still have a strong pro-gold elf bias. I recall Sarya saying that while the daemonfey would rule in her ideal kingdom, the gold elves would be subjects (not wiped out), and the other times of elves would be exterminated or made into slaves...something horrible. Also, Sarya plans to have her half-glabrezu son mate with a pure gold elf at one point in the novel.

Therefore, I think it's safe to say that Sarya and the fey'ri wouldn't love the drow just because they are all a bunch of villians. Their goals are starkly incompatitable (both races can't be on top, from their perspective), and if they made an alliance I doubt it would last.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 09 Mar 2005 04:45:58
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  04:44:52  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I've read on them, the Fey'ri despise anyone not of gold elf lineage. Even if it is tainted by demonic blood.

As for the drow, they're surface elves. Nuff said.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  05:02:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd check with Richard Baker in his thread. Of course, you might not get an answer. The next novel in his series comes out in August and if the fey'ri are moving to the Cormanthor, well lo and behold, guess who they might run into. RB might make you wait for the novel to obtain an official answer.

Also, someone put up a "No vacancy" sign near the Cormanthor's border. It's getting way too crowded in that forest.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2005 :  15:27:32  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It will be a sight to see when the racist Fey`ri meet the equally racist Drow.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2005 :  16:06:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

It will be a sight to see when the racist Fey`ri meet the equally racist Drow.

Sounds like an episode of the Realms equivalent of Jerry Springer.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2020 :  02:25:08  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Skeptic,

I think the brass tacks of it is this:

The Fey'ri were eugenicists. They selected Gold Elves as they saw them as the pinnacle of genetics (my term, not their term). They see Corellon Larethian as the ultimate bad dude, and to some degree probably felt that the dark elves got the shaft when the whole "go to your room/basement" deal happened.

They're honestly likely, in a hyper-dysfunctional way, sympathetic to one another, but as Master khorne said, it's racists meeting racists. Usually, fanatical groups wipe each other out...I mean, it's what fanatics do.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

I would like to know, according to "canon" source, how Fey'ri view Drows and vice versa. Also, if I would like to ask the question directly to a designer in the Chamber of Sage, who would be the appropriate one?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2020 :  00:54:46  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vast majority of fey'ri were from House Dlardrageth and a few of their allies, or raised by those. They were goldies from Siluvanede.
Not only after the Crown wars, but refugees from Aryvandaar.
Then again, they used to simply view the dark elves as an old and nasty enemy who by and large got lost, but had no need of propaganda and self-reassurances to justify turning on the allies.
Hostilities with other elves were more relevant.
No love lost, but attitude may be somewhat different.
Practically, Sarya did consider it acceptable to deal at least with the Vhaerunites. So the drow may be "desperate allies" (in Warhammer terms), if they are also pressed badly enough.
Lords of Darkness doesn't tell more about it.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2020 :  01:11:21  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master TBeholder,

Nice link to good stuff! I've not read that one before. I will count that as added to my collection! :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Vast majority of fey'ri were from House Dlardrageth and a few of their allies, or raised by those. They were goldies from Siluvanede.
Not only after the Crown wars, but refugees from Aryvandaar.
Then again, they used to simply view the dark elves as an old and nasty enemy who by and large got lost, but had no need of propaganda and self-reassurances to justify turning on the allies.
Hostilities with other elves were more relevant.
No love lost, but attitude may be somewhat different.
Practically, Sarya did consider it acceptable to deal at least with the Vhaerunites. So the drow may be "desperate allies" (in Warhammer terms), if they are also pressed badly enough.
Lords of Darkness doesn't tell more about it.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000