Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Ashabenford
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Imrahil
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  03:39:44  Show Profile  Visit Imrahil's Homepage Send Imrahil a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anybody know the physical description of the ford crossing the Ashaba in Ashabenford (ironic name, is it not? )? Anyway, I was wondering what the ford was like.
I know that the Moonsea Ride is high, dirt and gravel embankment-type road, wide enough for at least three wagons to pass side-by-side. Is the road across the ford like that with some kind of drainage under it or is it more of a traditional ford where anyone crossing would have to get their feet wet, so to speak.
And (not to be a pain ), if it is a traditional type ford, then how deep is it?

Thanks!

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
Study hard. Be evil.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  04:44:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall, the ford itself is particularly shallow. It's also relatively solid, and was the primary reason why there has never been a bridge built over it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  06:24:43  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Skip Williams Dungeon module Woe to Mistledale describes the Ford abit (but I dont have access to it here)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Imrahil
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  12:32:49  Show Profile  Visit Imrahil's Homepage Send Imrahil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Logic dictates to me that The Sage is correct; I may be wrong but it seems to me that a well-constructed, major trade route would try to have as few avoidable "risk points" as possible. A difficult river crossing would have several risks for caravan drivers.

I realize that these cannot always be avoided, but at a point of civilization, such as Ashabenford, I am struck that someone would have engineered a safer crossing, though I may be wrong. I also have a hard time imagine someone on the east side of town heading over to the White Hart and having to be waist deep in the Ashaba before they get there.

I checked Elminster's Ecologies on Cormanthor, and the Ashaba is described as hundreds of yards wide, and nearly thirty feet deep in many spots, though if its like the Evenflow, as indicated, it occasionally shallows out enough to wade across. Since I live just a few miles off the Mississippi, I get stuck using that as my point of reference, and I have a hard time envisioning someone strolling over the mighty Miss, but that's my own myopic problem.

Lastly, I checked "Woe to Mistledale", albeit I just skimmed it. All I could really find were that horses would stop at the edge of the ford because they needed some coaxing from a driver to enter the water, which makes the ford sound a little deep to me.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
Study hard. Be evil.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  14:37:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Logic, and Volo's Guide to the Dalelands... .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  16:06:48  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been many years since I've read it, but I recall of description of the ford in the novel Tantras. I'll skim through and see if I can find it.

EDIT: Nevermind, though they do pass through Ashabenford on their trek down the river, it is never described. =(

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames

Edited by - Brian R. James on 19 May 2005 16:29:50
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2020 :  01:03:17  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Imrahil,

In looking at Dungeon Magazine #100, p.55, there is a map with some interesting information in it. It appears to swell at the ford, and of course be shallower there (as one would expect of a ford). It appears to be approximately 220 feet wide at the ford, with a small little island more on the west side and looks to be about 80 or so feet long and about 20 feet wide. The White Hart Inn is on the NW corner of the ford, and it appears to be approximately 50' from the bridge.

Though, a link that I found to Realmshelp, appears to have a slightly different take on it, from clearly another map. I have the URL to that below:

https://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/dales/mistledale/ashabenford.shtml

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Imrahil

Does anybody know the physical description of the ford crossing the Ashaba in Ashabenford (ironic name, is it not? )? Anyway, I was wondering what the ford was like.
I know that the Moonsea Ride is high, dirt and gravel embankment-type road, wide enough for at least three wagons to pass side-by-side. Is the road across the ford like that with some kind of drainage under it or is it more of a traditional ford where anyone crossing would have to get their feet wet, so to speak.
And (not to be a pain ), if it is a traditional type ford, then how deep is it?

Thanks!

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000