Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 The Candlekeep Compendium
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  03:16:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realised that right after I'd posted. Previous post amended so as not to give away such 'valuable' information.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2005 :  08:53:59  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra
While I was rather partial to George's wonderful article on Teflamm (I didn't have much opportunity to read it when you sent it over to the Sage), my favorite submission would have to be Hammer's research into the cultural traits of dwarves. I really enjoyed reading it, and I've even considered maybe one day expanding on some of your original ideas for a future issue.


Glad you liked it Lady K.
Writing about the culture of the Bearded Folk is quite interesting. Just a sneak peek here, but look for a few recipes to show up in the next article.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  22:04:11  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't finished it, but I enjoyed it immensely. I even decided to make Telflamm (about which I knew almost nothing two days ago!) the site of an early adventure in a campaign that I am beginning next week. I have a group of questions trigerred by George Krashos's "Tour of Telflamm," though: what were the circumstances of Volludan's death in 1353 (there seem to be several hints that it was avoidable), and what was The Red Book of War which apparently went down with him?

"Organizations: The Forgotten Scroll," by Bradley Russo was very thought-provoking. I can see The Forgotten Scroll as an NPC organization in my campaign. I would like to see more information about it.

"Journal of an Apprentice Scribe: Berdusk," by J P Hazelhoff was too short -- I want to see another ten pages, at least! Gimme more!

My mention of these should not be construed as lack of respect for the other articles; these three are the only ones which I have read so far, and all three have left me craving more.

This is a good start to what I hope will be a much bigger project.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.


Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
29648 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  22:37:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I haven't finished it, but I enjoyed it immensely. I even decided to make Telflamm (about which I knew almost nothing two days ago!) the site of an early adventure in a campaign that I am beginning next week. I have a group of questions trigerred by George Krashos's "Tour of Telflamm," though: what were the circumstances of Volludan's death in 1353 (there seem to be several hints that it was avoidable), and what was The Red Book of War which apparently went down with him?


I'll have to check a couple of places before I can answer this one...

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

"Journal of an Apprentice Scribe: Berdusk," by J P Hazelhoff was too short -- I want to see another ten pages, at least! Gimme more!


I think it safe to say we'll see more of Berdusk in the second volume, which should be out soon.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

My mention of these should not be construed as lack of respect for the other articles; these three are the only ones which I have read so far, and all three have left me craving more.

This is a good start to what I hope will be a much bigger project.



As a contributer (though not to any of the articles you mentioned), I am glad you liked it.

There's already been some discussion of what we're doing for Volume 3.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5563 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  23:27:06  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Jamallo Kreen

I'm glad thou art enjoying this tome Thank ye, on behalf of all those involved in the project, for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Indeed, keep an eye out shortly for volume II of the Candlekeep Compendium

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct


An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  00:56:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I haven't finished it, but I enjoyed it immensely. I even decided to make Telflamm (about which I knew almost nothing two days ago!) the site of an early adventure in a campaign that I am beginning next week. I have a group of questions trigerred by George Krashos's "Tour of Telflamm," though: what were the circumstances of Volludan's death in 1353 (there seem to be several hints that it was avoidable), and what was The Red Book of War which apparently went down with him?



Hi Jamallo.

Glad you liked the article. It's been sitting in my notebooks for about 5 years now.

The details for Volludan's death were first detailed in "Sea of Fallen Stars" (the wreck of the Shadowake) and the 'Red Book of War' is noted in there also - but was first detailed in one of Ed's "Pages From the Mages" articles in DRAGON. Basically, the Shadowmasters of Telflamm tried to muscle in on the temples of the city and have them pay protection money, etc. Taeron of Tempus told them to stick it and in retribution they stole from the Tower of Tempus the Red Book of War, a couple of magical blades (one of which - Galathos is detailed in my DRAGON#277 article "Soargar's Legacy") and a helm of brilliance. Unfortunately, this act roused most everyone in Telflamm who could lug a sword into righteous fury and the Shadowmasters found themselves hunted and hounded. Volludan, instead of trying to broker a peace and returning the items, fled Telflamm by sea instead. His ship was sunk by a storm and he is believed dead from an eyewitness report. Some of this info is also noted in "Cloak & Dagger".


The 'Red Book of War' is what is known as a 'temple tome' - a repository for spells of the faith, used by the clergy of a particular temple to study, gain divine inspiration etc. The 'Red Book of War' is a large tome, its covers being battered metal plates and it glows constantly with a red, flickering 'faerie fire' (hence its name). Along with common PH spells, it also contained spells unique to the faith of Tempus (at least in 1E and 2E) and these are: 'holy flail', 'reveal' and 'bladebless'. I believe that a couple of these may have been updated to 3.xE. Hope this has been helpful.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 09 Jun 2005 01:01:18
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  02:49:25  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to hear your enjoying the inaugural issue of the Candlekeep Compendium Kreen, it means a lot... .

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

"Organizations: The Forgotten Scroll," by Bradley Russo was very thought-provoking. I can see The Forgotten Scroll as an NPC organization in my campaign. I would like to see more information about it.
I had to put the second part of that article on hold for issue two. But I'll likely have the second portion I'm writing now ready for some future CC issue.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  04:06:17  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

(snip)

The details for Volludan's death were first detailed in "Sea of Fallen Stars" (the wreck of the Shadowake) and the 'Red Book of War' is noted in there also - but was first detailed in one of Ed's "Pages From the Mages" articles in DRAGON. Basically, the Shadowmasters of Telflamm tried to muscle in on the temples of the city and have them pay protection money, etc. Taeron of Tempus told them to stick it and in retribution they stole from the Tower of Tempus the Red Book of War, a couple of magical blades (one of which - Galathos is detailed in my DRAGON#277 article "Soargar's Legacy") and a helm of brilliance. Unfortunately, this act roused most everyone in Telflamm who could lug a sword into righteous fury and the Shadowmasters found themselves hunted and hounded. Volludan, instead of trying to broker a peace and returning the items, fled Telflamm by sea instead. His ship was sunk by a storm and he is believed dead from an eyewitness report. Some of this info is also noted in "Cloak & Dagger".


The 'Red Book of War' is what is known as a 'temple tome' - a repository for spells of the faith, used by the clergy of a particular temple to study, gain divine inspiration etc. The 'Red Book of War' is a large tome, its covers being battered metal plates and it glows constantly with a red, flickering 'faerie fire' (hence its name). Along with common PH spells, it also contained spells unique to the faith of Tempus (at least in 1E and 2E) and these are: 'holy flail', 'reveal' and 'bladebless'. I believe that a couple of these may have been updated to 3.xE. Hope this has been helpful.

-- George Krashos




"Mercy buckets!" as the French say. Sea of Fallen Stars is one of those books which I always intended to have bought but which I never did, for one reason or another. It has been highly commended to me. Now I have another reason to get it.

Many thanks for the information!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.


Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  07:20:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh, "Sea of Fallen Stars" is one of the, if not the only, 'complete' product in the FR line-up. As in it provides practically everything you would need to adventure in a locale, history, story and game hooks and 'crunch'. It's only competitors are "Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves" and "Empires of the Shining Sea" IMHO. It's also a 'hidden gem' of the Realms as it contains many, many fine nuances and interesting (and far reaching) realmslore tidbits that any DM could tackle with relish. Oh, and it was written by a great guy whose contribution to the Realms should never be underestimated. Say, when is Steven Schend going to get a freelance FR design gig from WotC?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
29648 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  11:21:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Say, when is Steven Schend going to get a freelance FR design gig from WotC?

-- George Krashos




Not soon enough.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  14:41:49  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Say, when is Steven Schend going to get a freelance FR design gig from WotC?

-- George Krashos




Not soon enough.

Indeed.

I'm still waiting for him to once again take up his writing quill so that he can compose more tales based in the Realms -- one was just not enough by a long shot.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jun 2005 14:45:49
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  20:54:59  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe if we're loud enough within these walls, some of that noise should even reach the most silenced places those Wizards on the Coast sometimes dwell in... somewhere beyond those fields of NDA's

We want SES, we want... etc.

Oh, and thanks for the kind words Jamallo, nice to know that I have a fan.

And, as the furry master of Realmslore stated, there will be more in Volume II and if Oghma permits, Volume III as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
29648 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  23:01:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

And, as the furry master of Realmslore stated, there will be more in Volume II and if Oghma permits, Volume III as well.



Furry master of Realmslore... That's a new one!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  02:50:02  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer "Master of Mischief Making"... .



Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
29648 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  02:59:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I prefer "Master of Mischief Making"... .






Hmmm... Everywhere I go, I seem to get this reputation for being mischievous... It must be a conspiracy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  04:02:50  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'd like to know whose behind it, if it is indeed a conspiracy... .

Big Al perhaps?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  05:45:56  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My guess would be the Master of Mischief himself

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
29648 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  05:46:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'd like to know whose behind it, if it is indeed a conspiracy... .

Big Al perhaps?




'Tis possible, but doubtful. That mysterious conspiracy has been in effect for several years now, long before I first came here...

Though I supposed that he could be a more recent recruit into this nefarious group...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  05:58:56  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Ahh, "Sea of Fallen Stars" is one of the, if not the only, 'complete' product in the FR line-up. As in it provides practically everything you would need to adventure in a locale, history, story and game hooks and 'crunch'. It's only competitors are "Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves" and "Empires of the Shining Sea" IMHO. It's also a 'hidden gem' of the Realms as it contains many, many fine nuances and interesting (and far reaching) realmslore tidbits that any DM could tackle with relish. Oh, and it was written by a great guy whose contribution to the Realms should never be underestimated. Say, when is Steven Schend going to get a freelance FR design gig from WotC?

-- George Krashos




OT: I have put Sea of Fallen Stars on my RPGnow wish list (where it will have to wait, I'm afraid!). I would like to know, since so many here are enthusiastic fans of it, whether or not it deals with Jhaamdath and its destruction? Information, please!


I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.


Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  06:06:21  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I would like to know, since so many here are enthusiastic fans of it, whether or not it deals with Jhaamdath and its destruction? Information, please!
The events surrounding much of Jhaamdath's history are covered in detail in SoFS, so yes, the tome does deal with the realm.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  06:49:29  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I would like to know, since so many here are enthusiastic fans of it, whether or not it deals with Jhaamdath and its destruction? Information, please!
The events surrounding much of Jhaamdath's history are covered in detail in SoFS, so yes, the tome does deal with the realm.




Thank you!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.


Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Otus
Acolyte

Finland
1 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  20:00:41  Show Profile  Visit Otus's Homepage  Click to see Otus's MSN Messenger address Send Otus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magnificent

"A Tour of Telflamm" and the story hooks appealed to me the most, but there was lots of other very good stuff also.

Many thanks and hope you'll get the next one done soon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
29648 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  20:42:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Otus

Magnificent

"A Tour of Telflamm" and the story hooks appealed to me the most, but there was lots of other very good stuff also.

Many thanks and hope you'll get the next one done soon



All it needs is the finishing touches put on it.

I suppose that means I should get to work on my part for Volume 3...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  03:12:08  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I suppose that means I should get to work on my part for Volume 3...
And I as well, or at least, I should get to work on my other submissions.

Hoar's Domain, Part 2 is already complete .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5563 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  18:50:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I hereby announce the release of Volume II of The Candlekeep Compendium as part of todays site update.

Again, i'd like to take this opportunity to thank all those involved in the production of this issue. Much time and effort has been put into this.

I hope ye all enjoy this collection of Realmslore

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct


An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000