Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 The Candlekeep Compendium
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  03:04:52  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope all our regular scribes as well as the visitors to these halls really do enjoy this new and amazine issue of the Compendium. It's composed of some of the most well-crafted fan-based Realmslore I've ever read.

As an aside though, Big Al, might I suggest that we create a *sticky* comments scroll for this second issue to keep our discussion tied to the specific issue that was released...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Jun 2005 03:05:56
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  10:43:34  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just discovering the first volume... amazing really. I'll for sure use it in my future games
Go to Top of Page

David Latapie
Acolyte

France
4 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  14:13:34  Show Profile  Visit David Latapie's Homepage  Send David Latapie an AOL message  Send David Latapie an ICQ Message  Click to see David Latapie's MSN Messenger address Send David Latapie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Typos in Compendium I

Journal Entry 9

OLD
"From the Jaguar Guards the exotic Maztica"

NEW
"From the Jaguar Guards FROM the exotic Maztica"
                                  ^^^^

Journal Entry 9
OLD
"you will never be prepare enough"

NEW
"you willnever be prepareD enough"
                                  ^

Edited by - David Latapie on 09 Jul 2005 14:16:43
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30431 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  16:57:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Latapie

Typos in Compendium I

Journal Entry 9

OLD
"From the Jaguar Guards the exotic Maztica"

NEW
"From the Jaguar Guards FROM the exotic Maztica"
                                  ^^^^

Journal Entry 9
OLD
"you will never be prepare enough"

NEW
"you willnever be prepareD enough"
                                  ^

Those are partially my fault. I basically skipped over the Journal in the first volume, because at the time I didn't think it appopriate to edit what was supposed to be an on-the-fly, written-as-time-permits kind of journal.

Hopefully, you won't find any such errors in the rest of Volume 1, or at all in Volume 2.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

David Latapie
Acolyte

France
4 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  17:32:27  Show Profile  Visit David Latapie's Homepage  Send David Latapie an AOL message  Send David Latapie an ICQ Message  Click to see David Latapie's MSN Messenger address Send David Latapie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still have to read the second volume :-) I have another request: make it copiable. Presently, it is not possible to select a line of text and copy it.

Voilà, au revoir
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30431 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  19:37:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I still have to read the second volume :-) I have another request: make it copiable. Presently, it is not possible to select a line of text and copy it.

Voilà, au revoir

That's very odd... When doing the editing, I usually copied and pasted from the PDF without a problem.

Go to Top of Page

David Latapie
Acolyte

France
4 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  20:39:20  Show Profile  Visit David Latapie's Homepage  Send David Latapie an AOL message  Send David Latapie an ICQ Message  Click to see David Latapie's MSN Messenger address Send David Latapie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe should I have mentionned I'm using Preview.app, the Mac OS X built-in (and very fast) application for visualising PDF.

Oh maybe I was just clumsy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30431 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  22:58:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe should I have mentionned I'm using Preview.app, the Mac OS X built-in (and very fast) application for visualising PDF.

Ah. That case, I can't help you. I'm a Windows person, and I stick with Adobe for reading PDFs.

You could check the Adobe website -- I'd be surprised if there wasn't a version of Reader available for the Mac.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  04:48:24  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Ah. That case, I can't help you. I'm a Windows person, and I stick with Adobe for reading PDFs.
I like programming Macs. They give me an Apple if I do a good enough job .

Having said that, maybe I can help. Have you had any further problems David?

quote:
You could check the Adobe website -- I'd be surprised if there wasn't a version of Reader available for the Mac.
There is, or rather, there was. I believe a new update is already on the way...

Go to Top of Page

David Latapie
Acolyte

France
4 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  05:19:04  Show Profile  Visit David Latapie's Homepage  Send David Latapie an AOL message  Send David Latapie an ICQ Message  Click to see David Latapie's MSN Messenger address Send David Latapie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I modified my Mac for case-sensitiveness. It normally works very well except for a couple of ill-programmed apps wich doesn't support case-sensitiveness (so far it had always been apps where the programmers get lazy and just use upper- or lowercase in complete fantasy in their soft).

It seems Adobe Reader is such an app. I'm on Tiger (latest Mac version).

I checked again for the copy and paste: it was wetware error :-) Eveything works fine. Sorry for false bug report (the typo thing still apply, though).
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  11:00:04  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear venerable scribes,
This time I'm writing on behalf of official polish D&D website www.dnd.polter.pl (of which I'm the viceboss or whatever You wish to call it). I want to ask You for permission to translate Your Candlekeep Compendium to polish and publish it on our site as a pdf file. Our site is absolutely non-commercial so we won't be receiving any profits from Your work. Thanks in advance for Your answer!
P.S. From my part I would like to help the Compendium somehow so if there is a need for any interior graphics just give me a sign. I will be glad to help.

Edited by - Verghityax on 28 Aug 2005 11:00:30
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5586 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  11:01:58  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Verghityax

Dear venerable scribes,
This time I'm writing on behalf of official polish D&D website www.dnd.polter.pl (of which I'm the viceboss or whatever You wish to call it). I want to ask You for permission to translate Your Candlekeep Compendium to polish and publish it on our site as a pdf file. Our site is absolutely non-commercial so we won't be receiving any profits from Your work. Thanks in advance for Your answer!
P.S. From my part I would like to help the Compendium somehow so if there is a need for any interior graphics just give me a sign. I will be glad to help.

Well met, Verghityax

I will discuss this with thee privately via email\PM later today Thank ye.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5586 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  21:59:15  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Volume III of The Candlekeep Compendium has now been released as part of the latest site update.

I would personally like to thank all those involved in this volume, and hope that it brings much pleasure and enjoyment to those who take time to read this wonderful collection of Realmslore Thy comments are always welcome.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2005 :  03:21:07  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The scribes of the Compendium hope everyone enjoys our latest installment!
Please post your comments, questions, and suggestions. We'll be sure to help out with some answers.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2005 :  03:33:22  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. I echo the words of Hammer...

Even though I didn't contribute anything for this issue, we are always curious as to your thoughts regarding the material within each of the latest issues, and all the issues released before them.

Happy reading!

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Sep 2005 03:35:03
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  00:22:18  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundo or Sage

What will be the likely cut off date for new material for Candlekeep Compendium IV?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  01:26:35  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Alaundo or Sage

What will be the likely cut off date for new material for Candlekeep Compendium IV?

Decemberish, but we decided the next one is going to be related to dragons in some way. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  03:34:03  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Alaundo or Sage

Decemberish, but we decided the next one is going to be related to dragons in some way. :)

Hmmm I dont really have anything Dragon related siting in my Candlekeep folder. The closest would be the Gem Dragon stuff Ive developed for my Jhaamdath article but Im hesitant to seperate it from the rest of th article as it would loose alot of its context

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  05:50:16  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it looks like we'll be running short on content for this themed issue, you might want to re-consider Dargoth.

Such a feature would make a great article for the Compendium. You can still tie it into your other work with Jhaamdath later, when you finish that.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  06:16:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

If it looks like we'll be running short on content for this themed issue, you might want to re-consider Dargoth.

Such a feature would make a great article for the Compendium. You can still tie it into your other work with Jhaamdath later, when you finish that.

Hmm I guess I could do a "Dragons of the North" style article for a single Gem Dragon, theres a Great Wyrm Saphhire Draon working with the Sword of the Drowned.

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2005 :  09:31:56  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage  Click to see Lord Rad's MSN Messenger address Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again....outstanding!

Hammer's Stroke - hasn't failed to impress me yet! I love reading about the little fella's and i'm always thinking what the next article will be about. So, what WILL the next one be about No, no, don't tell me, I like surprises

Laborer's - Great stuff. This is just the sort of thing i'm after actually. I prefer NPC entries like this - more background, less stats.

Untold Stories - The best yet!! Nuff said

Earling's Spray - Perfect! I've been hoping for a sea-based article and even more so since reading Queen of the Depths recently. Also, i've been delving into Pirates of the Inner Sea and Sea of Falling Stars so this is just what I need! Great work (and nice lookin too!)

Mysteries of the Creator Races - I am only part way through this one but so far it is extremely interesting. I had never really read much on the creator races and the detail and flavour of this is excellent. Good work. Will there be follow up articles on the other races in future compendiums?

Mercenaries - Again, I love this set of articles from back in the first compendium. The variety of these is very welcoming and the detail is very well thought out. This one in particular appeals even moreso as I love Lisa Smedman's yuan-ti trilogy. I hope to work some of these companies into my campaign over time.

Olostin's Hold - Ya know, the articles from this particular series are my cup of tea. (It's nice having them at the end of the compendium too, being a nice warm ending ) Everytime I read these, I feel completely drawn in, like i've actually been there! This place was very interesting. Will there be a part 2 to this one or does the journey continue elsewhere?

So as a summary - fantastic!! Don't ever give up on this, guys. I have yet to see a better, more dedicated publication of realmslore on the web. My hat goes off to you all for what you put into this.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2005 :  09:45:25  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Don't ever give up on this, guys. I have yet to see a better, more dedicated publication of realmslore on the web. My hat goes off to you all for what you put into this.
You should see some of the ideas we've all got planned for Issue IV Rad . There's truly some great material coming. I'm sure you're going to enjoy each and every piece that's included.

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2005 :  18:58:13  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Again....outstanding!

Hammer's Stroke - hasn't failed to impress me yet! I love reading about the little fella's and i'm always thinking what the next article will be about. So, what WILL the next one be about No, no, don't tell me, I like surprises

Every article starts with an idea, and then gets out of hand from there. I never know where I'll end up once I start. There is so much information out there, so its easy to keep coming up with ideas based off of all the lore.
Not to give it away, but there is a theme for the next Compendium, and it's not Dungeons(go with the other word).

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  17:23:58  Show Profile  Visit Dhomal's Homepage Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Well - I just finished reading through CC3 last night, after having read CC1 & CC2 previously.

I wouild like to say - that I am truly impressed!

No, really - this is some great stuff -a nd I'm just surprised that you are not on CC50 by now! LOL

Anyway - a deepest bow to all involved - great stuff - and keep up the good work!

As far as specifics - I will try and comment later - but sufice it to say that a lot of it may wriggle itself into my game-in-planning.

I do have one curious question - Do a lot of you hold the planes as a special and dear place? :) It seems that there was a lot of planar-related articles - as well as connections in other articles. Not that there is anything wrong with the planes - its just that having read all 3 CC's back to back - it was something I picked up on.

As for suggestions or other improvements - just two - one serious,a nd one somewhat silly.

1) Please consider numbering the pages - so that finding articles based on the table of contents would be slightly simpler.

2) Make the next CC longer.

I'll l;eave it to you all to decide which was the serious one and which one was the silly one! :)

BRAVO!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  18:21:41  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Olostin's Hold - Ya know, the articles from this particular series are my cup of tea. (It's nice having them at the end of the compendium too, being a nice warm ending ) Everytime I read these, I feel completely drawn in, like i've actually been there! This place was very interesting. Will there be a part 2 to this one or does the journey continue elsewhere?

A bit late in replying, but still a thanks for the compliments on the Compendium and in specific to the Scribe's Apprentice articles. As to your question on a sequel: Yes, it is currently slated for V along with an article on Feast of the Moon, and planned for issue VI is a return to Berdusk. More I will not say, it is rumored that Alaundo will invoke NDAs
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000