Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 The Candlekeep Compendium
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  11:00:04  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear venerable scribes,
This time I'm writing on behalf of official polish D&D website www.dnd.polter.pl (of which I'm the viceboss or whatever You wish to call it). I want to ask You for permission to translate Your Candlekeep Compendium to polish and publish it on our site as a pdf file. Our site is absolutely non-commercial so we won't be receiving any profits from Your work. Thanks in advance for Your answer!
P.S. From my part I would like to help the Compendium somehow so if there is a need for any interior graphics just give me a sign. I will be glad to help.

Edited by - Verghityax on 28 Aug 2005 11:00:30
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  11:01:58  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Verghityax

Dear venerable scribes,
This time I'm writing on behalf of official polish D&D website www.dnd.polter.pl (of which I'm the viceboss or whatever You wish to call it). I want to ask You for permission to translate Your Candlekeep Compendium to polish and publish it on our site as a pdf file. Our site is absolutely non-commercial so we won't be receiving any profits from Your work. Thanks in advance for Your answer!
P.S. From my part I would like to help the Compendium somehow so if there is a need for any interior graphics just give me a sign. I will be glad to help.

Well met, Verghityax

I will discuss this with thee privately via email\PM later today Thank ye.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  21:59:15  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Volume III of The Candlekeep Compendium has now been released as part of the latest site update.

I would personally like to thank all those involved in this volume, and hope that it brings much pleasure and enjoyment to those who take time to read this wonderful collection of Realmslore Thy comments are always welcome.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2005 :  03:21:07  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The scribes of the Compendium hope everyone enjoys our latest installment!
Please post your comments, questions, and suggestions. We'll be sure to help out with some answers.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2005 :  03:33:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. I echo the words of Hammer...

Even though I didn't contribute anything for this issue, we are always curious as to your thoughts regarding the material within each of the latest issues, and all the issues released before them.

Happy reading!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Sep 2005 03:35:03
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  00:22:18  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundo or Sage

What will be the likely cut off date for new material for Candlekeep Compendium IV?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  01:26:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Alaundo or Sage

What will be the likely cut off date for new material for Candlekeep Compendium IV?

Decemberish, but we decided the next one is going to be related to dragons in some way. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  03:34:03  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Alaundo or Sage

Decemberish, but we decided the next one is going to be related to dragons in some way. :)

Hmmm I dont really have anything Dragon related siting in my Candlekeep folder. The closest would be the Gem Dragon stuff Ive developed for my Jhaamdath article but Im hesitant to seperate it from the rest of th article as it would loose alot of its context

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  05:50:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it looks like we'll be running short on content for this themed issue, you might want to re-consider Dargoth.

Such a feature would make a great article for the Compendium. You can still tie it into your other work with Jhaamdath later, when you finish that.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  06:16:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

If it looks like we'll be running short on content for this themed issue, you might want to re-consider Dargoth.

Such a feature would make a great article for the Compendium. You can still tie it into your other work with Jhaamdath later, when you finish that.

Hmm I guess I could do a "Dragons of the North" style article for a single Gem Dragon, theres a Great Wyrm Saphhire Draon working with the Sword of the Drowned.

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2005 :  09:31:56  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again....outstanding!

Hammer's Stroke - hasn't failed to impress me yet! I love reading about the little fella's and i'm always thinking what the next article will be about. So, what WILL the next one be about No, no, don't tell me, I like surprises

Laborer's - Great stuff. This is just the sort of thing i'm after actually. I prefer NPC entries like this - more background, less stats.

Untold Stories - The best yet!! Nuff said

Earling's Spray - Perfect! I've been hoping for a sea-based article and even more so since reading Queen of the Depths recently. Also, i've been delving into Pirates of the Inner Sea and Sea of Falling Stars so this is just what I need! Great work (and nice lookin too!)

Mysteries of the Creator Races - I am only part way through this one but so far it is extremely interesting. I had never really read much on the creator races and the detail and flavour of this is excellent. Good work. Will there be follow up articles on the other races in future compendiums?

Mercenaries - Again, I love this set of articles from back in the first compendium. The variety of these is very welcoming and the detail is very well thought out. This one in particular appeals even moreso as I love Lisa Smedman's yuan-ti trilogy. I hope to work some of these companies into my campaign over time.

Olostin's Hold - Ya know, the articles from this particular series are my cup of tea. (It's nice having them at the end of the compendium too, being a nice warm ending ) Everytime I read these, I feel completely drawn in, like i've actually been there! This place was very interesting. Will there be a part 2 to this one or does the journey continue elsewhere?

So as a summary - fantastic!! Don't ever give up on this, guys. I have yet to see a better, more dedicated publication of realmslore on the web. My hat goes off to you all for what you put into this.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2005 :  09:45:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Don't ever give up on this, guys. I have yet to see a better, more dedicated publication of realmslore on the web. My hat goes off to you all for what you put into this.
You should see some of the ideas we've all got planned for Issue IV Rad . There's truly some great material coming. I'm sure you're going to enjoy each and every piece that's included.

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2005 :  18:58:13  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Again....outstanding!

Hammer's Stroke - hasn't failed to impress me yet! I love reading about the little fella's and i'm always thinking what the next article will be about. So, what WILL the next one be about No, no, don't tell me, I like surprises

Every article starts with an idea, and then gets out of hand from there. I never know where I'll end up once I start. There is so much information out there, so its easy to keep coming up with ideas based off of all the lore.
Not to give it away, but there is a theme for the next Compendium, and it's not Dungeons(go with the other word).

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  17:23:58  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Well - I just finished reading through CC3 last night, after having read CC1 & CC2 previously.

I wouild like to say - that I am truly impressed!

No, really - this is some great stuff -a nd I'm just surprised that you are not on CC50 by now! LOL

Anyway - a deepest bow to all involved - great stuff - and keep up the good work!

As far as specifics - I will try and comment later - but sufice it to say that a lot of it may wriggle itself into my game-in-planning.

I do have one curious question - Do a lot of you hold the planes as a special and dear place? :) It seems that there was a lot of planar-related articles - as well as connections in other articles. Not that there is anything wrong with the planes - its just that having read all 3 CC's back to back - it was something I picked up on.

As for suggestions or other improvements - just two - one serious,a nd one somewhat silly.

1) Please consider numbering the pages - so that finding articles based on the table of contents would be slightly simpler.

2) Make the next CC longer.

I'll l;eave it to you all to decide which was the serious one and which one was the silly one! :)

BRAVO!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  18:21:41  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Olostin's Hold - Ya know, the articles from this particular series are my cup of tea. (It's nice having them at the end of the compendium too, being a nice warm ending ) Everytime I read these, I feel completely drawn in, like i've actually been there! This place was very interesting. Will there be a part 2 to this one or does the journey continue elsewhere?

A bit late in replying, but still a thanks for the compliments on the Compendium and in specific to the Scribe's Apprentice articles. As to your question on a sequel: Yes, it is currently slated for V along with an article on Feast of the Moon, and planned for issue VI is a return to Berdusk. More I will not say, it is rumored that Alaundo will invoke NDAs
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  20:48:29  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

quote:

A bit late in replying, but still a thanks for the compliments on the Compendium and in specific to the Scribe's Apprentice articles. As to your question on a sequel: Yes, it is currently slated for V along with an article on Feast of the Moon, and planned for issue VI is a return to Berdusk. More I will not say, it is rumored that Alaundo will invoke NDAs

Well met

Aye, thou hast said enough already, Mumadar

Thank ye for the comments, Dhomal. Indeed, page numbering would be handy, it was simply overlooked at the time

Oh i'll gladly see about increasing the number of pages in the next few volumes

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  22:20:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to bring planar material into my articles cause I like the planes and I continue to use the multiverse in some form or another. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  00:42:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

I do have one curious question - Do a lot of you hold the planes as a special and dear place? :) It seems that there was a lot of planar-related articles - as well as connections in other articles. Not that there is anything wrong with the planes - its just that having read all 3 CC's back to back - it was something I picked up on.
Kuje has got it down... so it's the same for me as well.

Although, with stuff that I'm writing at the moment which can draw upon references to the planes, I'm tending more toward a 2e interpretation (preferring the Great Wheel to the 3e's Tree) with some slight emphasis... but it's subtle enough so that most 3e fans won't really notice.

It's there though, and to me, that's what is important .

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  22:51:14  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somehow I missed the announcement of CC III. I just downloaded it and already glanced at the article on The Batrachi. I think that The Candlekeep Compendium would be an excellent place for the designers to flesh out some of their published books with material which didn't make the cut into WOTC-published books (NDAs permitting, of course). Articles here about the founder races would definitely make Serpent Kingdoms more useful, and would allow for the revealtion of a wealth of previously unpublished information from books such as Lost Empires of Faerun, which, by me, could have been three times as long and still too short at that. (More information is definitely needed on 3E Mulhorand, Unther, and Chessenta, for example.)

Carry on and prosper and thou scribes of Candlekeep Compendia!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2005 :  11:09:51  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

As part of todays site update, Volume IV of the Candlekeep Compendium is now available to download. A splendid collection of lore, this time focusing on dragons of the Realms.

I hope ye all enjoy this volume of lore

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2005 :  23:22:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Darth would say "Impressive, Most impressive!"

Has it been decided what the theme for CC5 will be?

If your taking suggestions how about: The Planes

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 17 Dec 2005 23:30:21
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  00:02:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And to add to the "Darth-ness" with a slight alteration -- "Join us Dargoth, and we will complete your training."

Volume V will feature another assortment of articles like those volumes before the December '05 volume. That doesn't necessarily mean that planar content won't take some place in this future Compendium -- but most of us have our ideas plotted for the next work already. Although, I am hoping to include "Hoar's Domain, Part 2" in Volume V...

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  00:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

And to add to the "Darth-ness" with a slight alteration -- "Join us Dargoth, and we will complete your training."

Volume V will feature another assortment of articles like those volumes before the December '05 volume. That doesn't necessarily mean that planar content won't take some place in this future Compendium -- but most of us have our ideas plotted for the next work already. Although, I am hoping to include "Hoar's Domain, Part 2" in Volume V...

Yes, I'm looking forward to contributing heavily to Volume V, although nothing planar...
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  01:18:31  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm decisions... decisions

One of my Candlekeep projects nears completion (The Abbey of the Martyred Goddess) and should be finished before the end of the week.
So ill then have to decide whether to leave it until March (which I assume will be when CC5 is released) or submit it as an article for one of Candlekeps monthly updates....

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  11:59:21  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As Darth would say "Impressive, Most impressive!"

Has it been decided what the theme for CC5 will be?

If your taking suggestions how about: The Planes

Well met

Glad ye like the tome, Dargoth

There isn't a theme to Volume V, but there will likely be themes given to future volumes. We thought it wise to feature dragons for volume IV due to the current dragon focus by WotC and also due to the Year of Rogue Dragons taking place in the Realms.

Rest assured, there will likely be at least one planar article within future volumes for some time yet

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2006 :  06:12:15  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Well - i know I'm a bit behind the 8-ball in some of my reading - but I just finished CC4 today while on lunch at work.

I must say - I quite liked it! I was Most happy to see Mr Krashos was a contributor! Wow - very nice indeed - soon - we might have Eric and Steven adding their own spin on something within its pages!

Now - I have to make some decisions - and come up with a good idea or three to send in to see what would fit best in a future volume!

Thanks again!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2006 :  07:59:54  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

Well - i know I'm a bit behind the 8-ball in some of my reading - but I just finished CC4 today while on lunch at work.

I must say - I quite liked it! I was Most happy to see Mr Krashos was a contributor! Wow - very nice indeed - soon - we might have Eric and Steven adding their own spin on something within its pages!

Now - I have to make some decisions - and come up with a good idea or three to send in to see what would fit best in a future volume!

Thanks again!

Dhomal

Well met

Glad the tome was pleasing for thee, Dhomal. We welcome any feedback on the articles (it also gives the scribes working on the Compendium the incentive to work on additional material and gives them an idea if they're going down the right track to please the masses ).

Thanks again

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  17:23:15  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey just reading the CCIV and its great! i love the ancient history in the beginning!
however, the stat block for Shaaan has one error that i noticed. Her Base attack Bonus is incorrect. Her BAB is calculated using the +10/+5 as a 20th level Wizard then the +3 from the 7th level incantatrix (assuming BAB has not changed from the Magic of Faerun class description). This leaves us with +13/+8/+3. Then 7 levels of Epic Wizard gives us no additional attacks but a +3 to all attacks so far.
This means her total Base Attack Bonus is +16/+11/+6, not +17. Her grapple modifier then is +15 (+16 from highest Attack, -1 str. penalty, +0 size modifier.) not +16.

I'm sure it was just a mistake froma wizened sage used to 2e or something. (plus rules for epic are confusing since they are 3.0)

Edit: also the spell spell Body Pulse states a castings time of " minutes" but doesnt tell how many minutes. I am assuming it is ten minutes or 1 minute. Also that spell has a material component listed without a footnote detailing what it is, I asuume this is the 200gp gem... how expensive! Lastly for this spell, in 3.5 the spell should say "Target: You" and "Range: Personal; see text" Similar errors exist with the Inspired Escape Spell.

Gosh that really brought out the rules lawyer in me!

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema

Edited by - Beirnadri Magranth on 20 Feb 2006 17:38:53
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  19:35:27  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Thank ye, Beirnadri Magranth. Thy feedback is much appreciated. Glad ye liked the Compendium. It appears thou hast finished just in the nick of time, keep an eye out for Volume V, due for release next month

Whilst we try to get everything correct regarding the rules, somethings may slip though. However, i'll get our resident rules lawyer, Arivia, on the case

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  19:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth
Then 7 levels of Epic Wizard gives us no additional attacks but a +3 to all attacks so far.

Incorrect; see table 6-18 on page 206 of the 3.5 DMG. Additionally, your calculations are completely off-character levels 21 and above use that table, not their own base attack bonus and save lines, no matter the class. Therefore, the calculation goes like this: +10(Wiz20) plus +7(14 epic levels), resulting in a base attack bonus of +17/+12.

quote:
Edit: also the spell spell Body Pulse states a castings time of " minutes" but doesnt tell how many minutes. I am assuming it is ten minutes or 1 minute.

This is correct; I'd go with 10 minutes.
quote:
Also that spell has a material component listed without a footnote detailing what it is, I asuume this is the 200gp gem... how expensive!

This is correct, too; this can be ascribed to unfamiliarity with the spell statistics setup for 3e.
quote:
Lastly for this spell, in 3.5 the spell should say "Target: You" and "Range: Personal; see text" Similar errors exist with the Inspired Escape Spell.

Correct; again, I'd ascribe this to unfamiliarity with the 3e spell setup.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000