Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 The Candlekeep Compendium
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  15:23:05  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

The Candlekeep Compendium is a project undertaken by a selected number of scribes of Candlekeep.

Each volume contains a collection of Realmslore articles penned by the scribes, on a variety of Realms-related subjects. Many months of hard work have gone into the articles contained within each issue. Some articles are unique to each volume, whilst others are an installment of regular columns to appear over many issues. Periodically, special themed volumes will be released, focusing on an particular aspect of the Realms.

Many thanks to all who have joined this project and worked to produce this collection of lore. The Compendium staff are as follows (in alphabetical order):

Alaundo
Matthew Bowman
Pierre Godbout
Bob Grant
Jaap-Peter Hazelhoff
Chris Jameson
George Krashos
Scott Kujawa
Alex Leighton
Kevin Liss
Jamey Martin
Michael Mueller
Lee J Nelson
Daniel Rosenquist
Bradley Russo
Yack Tundra

We hope ye enjoy the Compendium. Any feedback is appreciated, please post comments in this topic.

Download The Candlekeep Compendium

Thank ye

Edited by - Alaundo on 08 Mar 2005 23:16:00

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  17:36:49  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a beautiful addition to Candlekeep! Many congratulations should be awarded to the many people who took the time out of their schedules to make this tome a reality.

Kudos, all! And dinner in the Faerie Kitchen is on me!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  19:12:50  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A fine addition to any FR library. I enjoyed the articles and the characters, and the city write-up was great.
I also really enjoyed the journal, a man can only take so much cruch, and I am finally getting who old-timers enjoy the Volo guides so much.

My (very minor) gripe is the listing of character generation method. I think the stats should be what they are, and suggesting otherwise spoils the illusion somewhat. (As I said, very minor )

I am looking foreward to future editions follows!
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  00:48:22  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooo. Something to read in my spare time. Great job guys.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  08:10:44  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa! Amazing work! The Compendium is awesome!

The lore is top-notch, the art and layout are so very beautiful. Truly one of the most professional looking fan-authored books I have ever seen put together.

I loved the cities, the adventure hooks, the maps and illustrations, the NPC's, the journal, the geography articles, the organizations... wait a second... I am listing everything in the book... Maybe that's because I loved everything in it!

Truly outstanding you all! Many, many kudos and lauds to each one of you!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  12:39:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, don't sit on your hands, Gray. I know there's some FR planar stuff inside you that is dying to get out. You might consider a submission to Vol. 2. If so, drop Alaundo a line.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  17:51:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well, don't sit on your hands, Gray. I know there's some FR planar stuff inside you that is dying to get out. You might consider a submission to Vol. 2. If so, drop Alaundo a line.

-- George Krashos

Agrees with George. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  18:00:58  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Whoa! Amazing work! The Compendium is awesome!

The lore is top-notch, the art and layout are so very beautiful. Truly one of the most professional looking fan-authored books I have ever seen put together.

I loved the cities, the adventure hooks, the maps and illustrations, the NPC's, the journal, the geography articles, the organizations... wait a second... I am listing everything in the book... Maybe that's because I loved everything in it!

Truly outstanding you all! Many, many kudos and lauds to each one of you!

Well met

Glad ye liked the tome, Gray, and indeed thanks to all who have given feedback here, it's greatly appreciated

Indeed, the current staff list is not conclusive, if any wish to contribute to future volumes then please contact me. We will also be posted submission guidelines for current columns, such as Folks of Faerun to enable others to submit their material.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  07:32:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Indeed.

Hey Gray... ... I'm tinkering around with a planar-themed idea for an article at the moment which may be included in either issue two or three of the Compendium. If you're interested in signing on, perhaps we could collaborate on a submission, much like Kuje and the Hamster.

After all, one planar loremaster working on an FR-planar article is good... but two is even better .

Anyways, let me know. I'd like the chance to work with you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  22:12:06  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fabulous work guys. Can't say much more than a job well done. I assume from prior posts that this will be a regular feature of the scribes here?

Hrm... now to think of any way I might be able to contribute so that Krash and the Sage aren't the only ones having fun dipping their pens... er... poor choice of words, putting thoughts to paper.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  22:59:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My second set of hooks has already been given to Alaundo. Waiting for mister furry to finish his. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  23:31:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

My second set of hooks has already been given to Alaundo. Waiting for mister furry to finish his. :)

I was going to type them up today, but I was reading some other Realmslore, and it kept me distracted. I shall do my best to type them up maana...

I've already got one for round 3, too. One of yours inspired me to do something that was kinda sorta similar, and since it was similar, I decided to hold it for next time.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  02:04:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I was going to type them up today, but I was reading some other Realmslore, and it kept me distracted. I shall do my best to type them up maana...

I've already got one for round 3, too. One of yours inspired me to do something that was kinda sorta similar, and since it was similar, I decided to hold it for next time.

Knifty. :) I'd like to see them and look them over just because, when you get them done. :)

But this is getting off topic so maybe we should take this to the other thread.....

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  04:06:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Knifty. :) I'd like to see them and look them over just because, when you get them done. :)

But this is getting off topic so maybe we should take this to the other thread.....

Oh, I'll of course share them with you before I pass them on to Big Al. We're a team, remember?

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  09:02:57  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... planar lore... I guess I could cobble together a few words.

Seriously, I would love to contribute in any small part to the fantastic work you are doing on the Compendium. Alaundo and Sage I will drop you a line shortly.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  10:21:56  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Stunning!!! Great work guys, this is fantastic. The look is beautiful and what i've read of the articles so far... i'm simply blown away.

Now, where's volume 2?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  05:39:12  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love it, if you don't mind me asking, what did you guys use for the chapter/section headings?

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  10:27:41  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

I love it, if you don't mind me asking, what did you guys use for the chapter/section headings?

Well met

Thank ye all for the kind comments.

I assume thou art refering to the font usage? Those in particular are made from PR Celtic Narrow

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  13:28:31  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes it was, thankyou.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Saime
Acolyte

Denmark
21 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2005 :  19:03:42  Show Profile  Visit Saime's Homepage Send Saime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jus wanted to say "thank you!" to the people behind the compendium. This is great work.
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  12:02:45  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much to all involved with this. This is a wonderful piece of work. So far I've only read George's Telflamm article and have really enjoyed it (which city is next? Uthmere?). I'll edit this post with more comments once I've read the other articles.

I also want to add that I really like the cartography. It's a really attractive style, that's for sure.

Thanks again.

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  23:42:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eremite

Thank you very much to all involved with this. This is a wonderful piece of work. So far I've only read George's Telflamm article and have really enjoyed it (which city is next? Uthmere?). I'll edit this post with more comments once I've read the other articles.

I fear Uthmere isn't on my agenda and a little missive popped into my inbox the other day telling me not to bother as it had 'already been done'. It won't be in a Candlekeep Compendium, but that doesn't mean you won't get more info on this place in time to come ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2005 :  11:56:09  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was a superb compilation. A true testament of the love and devotion the scribes here at Candlekeep have for the Realms.

While I was rather partial to George's wonderful article on Teflamm (I didn't have much opportunity to read it when you sent it over to the Sage), my favorite submission would have to be Hammer's research into the cultural traits of dwarves. I really enjoyed reading it, and I've even considered maybe one day expanding on some of your original ideas for a future issue.

Congratulations to you all . I look forward to the next issue.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2005 :  23:00:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

This was a superb compilation. A true testament of the love and devotion the scribes here at Candlekeep have for the Realms.

While I was rather partial to George's wonderful article on Teflamm (I didn't have much opportunity to read it when you sent it over to the Sage), my favorite submission would have to be Hammer's research into the cultural traits of dwarves. I really enjoyed reading it, and I've even considered maybe one day expanding on some of your original ideas for a future issue.

Congratulations to you all . I look forward to the next issue.

George's section was one of my fave sections, too. I quite enjoyed reading that one, and I also liked the fact that I didn't have to edit it too much!

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2005 :  04:14:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm jumping the gun a bit - my next article is barely off the ground at the moment. But yes, drop me a line at: Krash@newave.net.au and I'll get it to you in a couple of weeks.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 28 Mar 2005 03:17:35
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2005 :  23:25:20  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Ahem, Compendium Scribes...there is a private chamber for these discussions, this scroll is intended for feedback etc.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  03:16:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realised that right after I'd posted. Previous post amended so as not to give away such 'valuable' information.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2005 :  08:53:59  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

Glad you liked it Lady K.
Writing about the culture of the Bearded Folk is quite interesting. Just a sneak peek here, but look for a few recipes to show up in the next article.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  22:04:11  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't finished it, but I enjoyed it immensely. I even decided to make Telflamm (about which I knew almost nothing two days ago!) the site of an early adventure in a campaign that I am beginning next week. I have a group of questions trigerred by George Krashos's "Tour of Telflamm," though: what were the circumstances of Volludan's death in 1353 (there seem to be several hints that it was avoidable), and what was The Red Book of War which apparently went down with him?

"Organizations: The Forgotten Scroll," by Bradley Russo was very thought-provoking. I can see The Forgotten Scroll as an NPC organization in my campaign. I would like to see more information about it.

"Journal of an Apprentice Scribe: Berdusk," by J P Hazelhoff was too short -- I want to see another ten pages, at least! Gimme more!

My mention of these should not be construed as lack of respect for the other articles; these three are the only ones which I have read so far, and all three have left me craving more.

This is a good start to what I hope will be a much bigger project.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  22:37:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I haven't finished it, but I enjoyed it immensely. I even decided to make Telflamm (about which I knew almost nothing two days ago!) the site of an early adventure in a campaign that I am beginning next week. I have a group of questions trigerred by George Krashos's "Tour of Telflamm," though: what were the circumstances of Volludan's death in 1353 (there seem to be several hints that it was avoidable), and what was The Red Book of War which apparently went down with him?

I'll have to check a couple of places before I can answer this one...

quote:

"Journal of an Apprentice Scribe: Berdusk," by J P Hazelhoff was too short -- I want to see another ten pages, at least! Gimme more!

I think it safe to say we'll see more of Berdusk in the second volume, which should be out soon.

quote:

My mention of these should not be construed as lack of respect for the other articles; these three are the only ones which I have read so far, and all three have left me craving more.

This is a good start to what I hope will be a much bigger project.

As a contributer (though not to any of the articles you mentioned), I am glad you liked it.

There's already been some discussion of what we're doing for Volume 3.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  23:27:06  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Jamallo Kreen

I'm glad thou art enjoying this tome Thank ye, on behalf of all those involved in the project, for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Indeed, keep an eye out shortly for volume II of the Candlekeep Compendium

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll