Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Lady of Secrets
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  15:05:42  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Gentlemen. Ladies.

As a personal project of mine, I've started working on an extensive compilation of any material concerning Shar or her clergy, no matter how remotely.

Thus I'd be very thankful for any and all information, sources or ideas you might have on that particular topic, especially about the Dark Lady's early history (The Shadevari, for example)

I'll also gladly integrate any non-canon tidbits you come up with and which strike my fancy... :D

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  22:51:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suggest reading the novels Mistress of the Night or The Black Bouquet, which both feature followers of Shar very prominently.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  00:24:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I trust you've perused Faiths & Avatars?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  00:25:30  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had some speculations about Shar and her origins in this thread here: http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=302068

The best information about her is in Faiths & Avatars. There is some good information about her and her church in Lords of Darkness. And Faiths and Pantheons will give you the most current 3E info about her.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  04:08:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read also the second half of "The Temptation of Elminster".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  06:44:19  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still trying to get a copy of F&A... Things like that are annoying to get over here at times. But I'm working on it :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  11:23:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkheyr

I'm still trying to get a copy of F&A... Things like that are annoying to get over here at times. But I'm working on it :)

Ah, good. That book and its companions are the best sources of lore about the gods that we've seen yet.

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  00:24:36  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a small fee, you can download a legal .pdf copy of Faiths & Avatars as well as Demihuman Deities and Powers & Pantheons from one of WotC's licensed .pdf vendors www.RPGnow.com or www.SVGames.com.

They have many out-of-print 2nd edition modules and sourcebooks available. They are secure and safe to purchase from, and once you buy it you can be downloading and reading it within in minutes of your purchase.

If you don't mind reading them on your computer or printing out a paper copy for yourself, it is a great way to obtain hard to find Forgotten Realms lore.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  01:36:22  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darkheyr, the Lord of Darkness sourcebook also has a whole section detailed to the Church of Shar.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  15:38:54  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gray... I'll certainly look into that (after my next paycheck that is)
Or...hmm... I could simply leech it off my birthday presents next week....*rubs hands gleefully*

And aye DDH, I already got LoD. Handy thing to have to be sure, albeit I still prefer 2E source material... Less crunch, more fluff :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  15:51:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you like, I can also send you the notes I made from the novel Mistress of the Night once I've converted them into a format that others can access...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  16:05:42  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

If you like, I can also send you the notes I made from the novel Mistress of the Night once I've converted them into a format that others can access...

Well met

I would also certainly be interested on seeing these notes, Sage. If ye don't mind of course.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  16:14:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not at all.

My technique is similar to that of Sirius Black, although I've elaborated on certain points for my own benefit.

Given my less than stellar reputation for always submitting the material I've promised in the past, I'll try to ensure that this little one doesn't fall by the wayside .

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  17:06:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
My technique is similar to that of Sirius Black, although I've elaborated on certain points for my own benefit.

I have a technique Cool. I hope you are referring to my notes from Forsaken House. Otherwise...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  01:19:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa!

Yes, I'm referring to your note-taking technique ONLY . Anything else is just pure speculation on Wooly's behalf...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  04:05:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Whoa!

Yes, I'm referring to your note-taking technique ONLY . Anything else is just pure speculation on Wooly's behalf...

How'd I get brought into this?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  05:06:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
How'd I get brought into this?

Reputation.
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  06:33:26  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd definitly like those notes, Sage :D

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  13:46:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll submit them for inclusion here at Candlekeep. Big Al can then make them a part of the next site update.

Go to Top of Page

Taurren
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  14:22:04  Show Profile  Visit Taurren's Homepage Send Taurren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you oh wise Sage and to you Darkheyr.

Any imformation that brings further illumination into the secrets hidden within Shar's dark embrace would be greatly appreciated.

Both myself and my players have found her's to be the perfect hand that guides the puppet's string.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  10:25:14  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll submit them for inclusion here at Candlekeep. Big Al can then make them a part of the next site update.

Well met

Splendid, Sage, i'd be happy to

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  10:36:26  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Page 144 of Lost Empires of Faerun, under the heading "Delimbiyran" menitions the involvement of Lady Loss' clergy in the downfall of that realm (Kingdom of Man).

From the timeline on page 138/139:

quote:
616 Year of the Enscorceled Kings: Delimbiyran, the human kingdom of Phalorn, claims all the lands of that realm and establishes a new aliance with the gnomes and halflings of the area. The new realm is called the Kingdom of Man

quote:
697 Year of the Triton's Horn: Worshippers of Shar riot throughout the Sword Coast as the machinations of Lalondra, the Dark Mother, sweep away the power of the Dark Goddess clergy overnight. King Davyd of the Kingdom of Man dies in the tumult without an heir, and several kingdoms - including Calandor, Scathril, and Loravatha - break away.

Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  18:32:53  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished Mistress of the Night.

I just plain love Variance

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2020 :  04:18:20  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Sage,

Could I ask well get a copy of those notes? :)

Best regards,

quote:

Not at all.

Given my less than stellar reputation for always submitting the material I've promised in the past, I'll try to ensure that this little one doesn't fall by the wayside .

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2020 :  04:21:16  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Sage,

Did those notes ever get included somewhere on the site?

Best regards,

quote:

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000