Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Roosting Griffon Inn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  16:20:02  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Hey, is there someone who know in wich product there is a mention of a destroyed inn on the road between Waterdeep and Daggerford ? The FR Interactive Atlas name this site : The Roosting Griffon Inn.

Thanks !

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  16:27:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast.....

Otherwise it might be one of those undetailed places.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  17:49:37  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The destroyed inn is a briefly used setting in the "Waterdeep" module (part of the Avatar trilogy). I don't recall if it appears in the Waterdeep novel or not.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  17:52:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

I checked the index (Remember when those were included ) for that tome and could not find any mention of this location.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  18:04:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

I checked the index (Remember when those were included ) for that tome and could not find any mention of this location.

Ah. Well that was why I said try it. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  20:30:24  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

The destroyed inn is a briefly used setting in the "Waterdeep" module (part of the Avatar trilogy). I don't recall if it appears in the Waterdeep novel or not.

--Eric

Thanks a lot Eric, that was an obscure one..
Go to Top of Page

timid kobold
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2005 :  01:43:01  Show Profile  Visit timid kobold's Homepage Send timid kobold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe this is indeed the inn briefly mentioned in the Avatar trilogy of novels.

*spoilers from the novel*

From what I recall, the zombies (night riders) that were tasked with finding the tablet carried by Midnight and Kel rode through the area. Their orders were to kill anybody that saw them. There was a battle at the inn and everyone except the innkeeper perished. Cyric came across the inn later and spoke a bit with the innkeeper before dispatching him.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2005 :  06:07:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The destroyed inn is a briefly used setting in the "Waterdeep" module (part of the Avatar trilogy).
Page 31.

There's also a map of the ruined inn included with the module.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  17:42:33  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

By chance, did you ever hear of anything regarding that land being used again by someone? I know that the Harper's as a part of their strategy of maintaining influence on the Sword Coast, will purchase lands so they can install innkeeps, etc.

Best regards,

quote:

--Eric

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  17:54:48  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I know of. I think my current thoughts are in Under Illefarn Anew.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  19:27:10  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

Ah, I just checked that out.

Shocked (not actually) that WotC wouldn't allow this to go forward. Typical WotC in this regard: stifle the creativity of people that can make it all better.

Best regards,

quote:

Not that I know of. I think my current thoughts are in Under Illefarn Anew.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  22:29:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Eric,

Shocked (not actually) that WotC wouldn't allow this to go forward. Typical WotC in this regard: stifle the creativity of people that can make it all better.

As much as I dislike defending WotC, I will disagree with this assessment. WotC makes role-playing games -- stifling creativity runs rather counter to that.

No, the problem is that they are hyper-focused on the bottom dollar, and everything else -- such as maintaining continuity or embracing original ideas -- runs a distant second.

There's no need to assume malicious intent when it's a simple issue of misplaced priorities or bad decisions.

And I'm not saying that they're wrong for looking at the bottom dollar -- indeed, that's only to be expected.

I maintain that the goals of making money, maintaining continuity, and being creative are not mutually exclusive, though the current direction of the setting makes it clear that someone higher up the food chain at WotC thinks otherwise.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  23:35:43  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I could accept that kind of assessment, if I accepted that their marketing department was so abysmal at developing their 1/3/5/7 (assuming they cycle that way) plan that they effectively overlooked the service element of their offerings. WotC offers both products and services. The kind of immersion that this service offers with a campaign setting is spot on (not aggregately, but in a proportionally weighted manner) with Star Wars, and issues they have had with that product and service. Lack of continuity is a huge issue in this kind of an offering, and we've seen it play out with customer rage with 4e, and with Star Wars as well. Sure, fen keep rolling back, but you begin to see an erosion, slowly over time in their retained customers block. Loyalty is a hard thing to get back.

I can't speak from a perspective of working inside the company, so I can only speak as a customer with limited arcs of awareness in how I interface with their offerings.

I can say that when I see their DM's Guild exploding with product offerings which the customers themselves are making the products to be offered for a "recommended price" [nice ways around the L&I laws in WA State WotC - I do business consulting here in WA State and I can legitimately say....clever as hell!], yet Eric can't deliver "Under Illefarn Anew", it seems like picking and choosing with purpose. Eric is a professional, extremely knowledgeable on the Realms, and can write something that carries weight to it, because he is an actual designer. When someone sees Eric Boyd on the cover, people think "canon." When people see, "Steve Magillicuti" [sorry if I co-opted a real Steve out there folk!] the dude down the from block, they think, "Cool, great nerd stuff to possibly add in." I automatically put more weight into Eric that dude down the block because of his resume.

Again, I could be wrong as I don't work on the inside, but it does seem very odd to me on the outside that there is plenty in the DM's Guild, but actual designers like Eric appear to be having their material slow walked or blocked.

Eric, am I off on my perspective here? It seems like this stuff gets slowed or stopped for designers, but the lay person drops stuff daily.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Eric,

As much as I dislike defending WotC, I will disagree with this assessment. WotC makes role-playing games -- stifling creativity runs rather counter to that.

No, the problem is that they are hyper-focused on the bottom dollar, and everything else -- such as maintaining continuity or embracing original ideas -- runs a distant second.

There's no need to assume malicious intent when it's a simple issue of misplaced priorities or bad decisions.

And I'm not saying that they're wrong for looking at the bottom dollar -- indeed, that's only to be expected.

I maintain that the goals of making money, maintaining continuity, and being creative are not mutually exclusive, though the current direction of the setting makes it clear that someone higher up the food chain at WotC thinks otherwise.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2020 :  03:49:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far as I know, there is no WotC oversight of what gets put on the DM's Guild. They made an agreement with the DriveThruRPG people, set some rules, and they can require stuff to be taken down -- but I've never heard a single person say that WotC was reviewing everything before it went up.

And some of our creators have posted stuff there, too.

The biggest issue with something like Under Illefarn Anew and the DM's Guild is that it doesn't meet the requirement of using the 5E ruleset.

And I'm not going to fault any gaming company for saying "Do you want you want, just use the most current rules" -- especially when they're doing that for a setup that lets fans make money off the company IP.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2020 :  04:24:07  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I completely get the IP issue. I couldn't agree more. I mean, look at the Aspirin IP case I mentioned in another post I made earlier today. It is a significant issue.

I appreciate you sharing that information about the 5e DM's Guild.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So far as I know, there is no WotC oversight of what gets put on the DM's Guild. They made an agreement with the DriveThruRPG people, set some rules, and they can require stuff to be taken down -- but I've never heard a single person say that WotC was reviewing everything before it went up.

And some of our creators have posted stuff there, too.

The biggest issue with something like Under Illefarn Anew and the DM's Guild is that it doesn't meet the requirement of using the 5E ruleset.

And I'm not going to fault any gaming company for saying "Do you want you want, just use the most current rules" -- especially when they're doing that for a setup that lets fans make money off the company IP.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000