Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Geography of Jhaamdath
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  02:35:12  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Having had a look at the map on pages 48-49 of LEOF, The poster map that came with the FRC and Underwater map of the Sea of Fallen stars accessory Im a little confused on how the Elves managed to Keep Jhaamdath submerged.

Presumably before Jhaamadaths destruction the lands it occupied where above sea level (or at the least the coastline would have had have been) so why are its ruins drowned?

Ok the elves Create a Tidal wave with High Magic which is presumably made up of water from the sea of Fallen stars the wave crashes over the coastline and destroys or at least ruins the 12 cities of Jhaamadath, the wave would have then retreated in order to refill the sea of Fallen stars where the water was taken from. So most of the water should have gone back to sea sure the water would have pooled in areas that where lower than the coastline but most of the land would have resurfaced. To my knowledge there have only been 3 Tidal waves in Faerun history

1) The Elven High Magic Tidal wave that drowned Jhaamadath

2) The tidal wave that Iniarv used to created The Mere of Dead Men

3) The Tidal wave that swamped Alaor and Bezantur in 1369

Why didnt the Elves Tidal wave create a "Mere" like the Mere of Dead Men?

The only reason I can see why Jhaamdath would remain flooded is if Jhaamdath existed in a basin lower than its coastline and the water from the Tidal wave crashed over the coastline and Waterfalled down the other side into the basin.

However this creates a problem if thats the case because if this did happan then there should be land bridge today between Chondath and Turmish where Jhaamdaths coastline existed.

The only other option is that since Jhaamdaths destruction the Sea of Fallen Stars water level has risen higher than Jhaamdaths old coast line?

Any ideas Eric, the 2 Eds, George, and Steve?

Also I noticed that in Sea of Fallen Stars the sea floor of the area where Jhaamdath existed is not flat. The map in LEOF shows Jhaamdath existing on a flat plain. In SOFS the map shows a large underwater gorge that would probably be around the same size as the Scar in Scardale where Jhaamdath would have existed.

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  02:58:06  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the elves didn't raise the sea but rather lowered Jhaamdath. They could have shifted a section of the continental plate downward. Or maybe they collapsed a portion of the underdark beneath Jhaamdath in a great earthquake. The sea would have rushed in and overtaken the place.

Or maybe Jhaamdath was more like Holland, having built a system of dykes, levees and dams in order to hold back the water and build out into marshes and wetlands. It could be that the tidal wave destroyed this system of waterworks and even when the waters receded they had still reclaimed those built up areas where the water used to naturally reside.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  03:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Maybe the elves didn't raise the sea but rather lowered Jhaamdath. They could have shifted a section of the continental plate downward. Or maybe they collapsed a portion of the underdark beneath Jhaamdath in a great earthquake. The sea would have rushed in and overtaken the place.

Or maybe Jhaamdath was more like Holland, having built a system of dykes, levees and dams in order to hold back the water and build out into marshes and wetlands. It could be that the tidal wave destroyed this system of waterworks and even when the waters receded they had still reclaimed those built up areas where the water used to naturally reside.

Its definately a tidal Wave LEOF says "-255 Year of Furious Waves: A Tidal wave created by Elven High magic detroys Jhaamdath"

Your 2nd idea could be the case but it would mean that Jhaamdath would not be under much water (Unless they built an Enormously high dyke) the other problem with this idea is that theres a river on the LEOF map which runs all the way from the Deepwing Mountains through Jhaamdath and out through Jhaamdaths old coast line

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  12:10:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read the description of the Esahlbane Monolith in "Sea of Fallen Stars", p.136. It notes that the monolith (situated at the mouth of the modern Vilhon Reach) and the rest of its ridge was pulled up from the sea cliffs along the continental slope to generate the killing wave in -255 DR.

Hence it would appear that there was significant movement of the undersea land at the mouth of Jhaamdath's inlet/bay brought about by the High Magic of the elves of Nikerymath. Hence, we can extrapolate that this movement was continued, deep into the dry land of that nation, accounting for the fact that there are deep trenches in the present-day Selmal Basin and the extent of the Vilhon Reach itself.

So basically, the High Magic didn't create a tidal wave directly, but the wave was more a byproduct of the elves mucking around with the sea floor and land area of Jhaamdath itself. Naturally, the wave was the most obvious and observable feature of what the elves did, so popular lore states that it was simply a big wave. SoFS seems to indicate differently.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  22:50:23  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

In deep water are the Jhaamdath ruins?

Are they in shallow water like Abjuntal?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  23:06:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say it's up to each individual DM as to where and how deep the twelve Cities of Sword are. Of course, Ed Bonny may have more thoughts here ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  23:41:00  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'd say it's up to each individual DM as to where and how deep the twelve Cities of Sword are. Of course, Ed Bonny may have more thoughts here ...

I can tell you that this recently became an issue for me, as well. From some old notes Ed made public a few years back (and some more he didn't but that I was privileged enough to get to read), I came away with a sense that Jhaamdath was in effect scoured from the shore. While not in any way making light of what happened recently in the Indian Ocean, the results of that catastrophe seem to bear out this notion. I read several accounts of people clinging for dear life to trees, sign posts, etc., as the water rushed back out to sea, dragging anything not anchored down along with it. And those waves were only tens of feet high. The crest the elves created was said to be a mile high (I think -- I'd have to recheck to be sure), so the force of that backwash would be formidable, indeed.

So I concluded that the Twelve Cities of Swords were actually washed down into the Reach, large chunks overturned, and most all of it buried under tons of additional rubble and mud. All that remains in the current timeframe are hidden pockets of space (whether air-filled or water-) where a handful of intact buildings hold up the "ceiling" of rubble overhead.

All of that said, I have no idea how it was handled in LEoF. I'm anxious to see (I may have amend my work because of it).

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2005 :  01:39:26  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If the Tidal wave was really a mile high when it hit the Jhaamdath coast then much of Chondalwood should have been destroyed to.

There are several mountain ranges surrounding Jhaamdath amd when the Tidal wave hit them it would have rebounded across the reach into Chondalwood. There also would have been more destruction in other regions of the Sea of Fallen Stars both from an initial wave that would have gone east and from backwash from the wave that went west

To use the recent Boxing Day Quake/Tidal wave as as an example

When the earth quake went off it sent a tidal wave in 2 directions one went East and got Aceh and Thailand and the other went West and got Sri Lanka and the Southern coast of India. Also the Boxing Day Tidal wave went around the world 12 times (Although it obviously didnt inflict the damage)

Now if we use the Boxing Day Earth Quake as an example then there should have been another wave that went out east into the Sea of Fallen stars and done damage to regions all around the Sea

The damage should also have been much worse in the Sea of Fallen Stars than it was in the Indian Ocean. Why? because the wave couldnt burn itself out in the Sea of Fallen stars the sea is land locked so it could only go so far before smashing into something then rebounding with less power until it hits something else. -255 should have been a bad year for everyone who lived around the Sea of Fallen stars not just Jhaamdath

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2005 :  03:16:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But if it was magic that raised the wave, then it could have been dissipated after hitting Jhaamdath. Kind of a very large surgical strike, if you will.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2005 :  03:33:34  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How sure are you about this "mile high" figure? Because it sounds like the comment of an unreliable witness, scholar or tale-teller that is embellishing somewhat.

A mile-high tidal wave would probably carry so much devastating weight and force as to scour the whole of that part of the continent clean and would very likely would not be stopped by a puny mountain range. Such a catastrophe would no doubt be remembered in history and legend as an apocalyptic flood of biblical proportions, far, far beyond the borders of Jhaamdath. Are there legends of such a flood in other cultures?

I am very skeptical of the mile-high figure myself... but that is not to say it isn't accurate, but it would surprise me if that figure was meant to be taken as literal truth.

Edited by - Gray Richardson on 15 Feb 2005 03:35:47
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2005 :  05:44:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How sure are you about this "mile high" figure? Because it sounds like the comment of an unreliable witness, scholar or tale-teller that is embellishing somewhat.

A mile-high tidal wave would probably carry so much devastating weight and force as to scour the whole of that part of the continent clean and would very likely would not be stopped by a puny mountain range. Such a catastrophe would no doubt be remembered in history and legend as an apocalyptic flood of biblical proportions, far, far beyond the borders of Jhaamdath. Are there legends of such a flood in other cultures?

I am very skeptical of the mile-high figure myself... but that is not to say it isn't accurate, but it would surprise me if that figure was meant to be taken as literal truth.

A mile High wave would have been as big or bigger than the wave that appeared in the Hollywood Movie Deep Impact

A 1 mile high wave would have definately caused more destruction than Jhaamdath the Chondalwood would definately have copped it as the lands to the south of the reach are on the same contour as the coast line. Hell it may have even swamped all the land between the Reach on the Lake of Steam

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2005 :  14:30:09  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I realize that a 5,280-ft. wave is a little hard to swallow (no pun intended) -- a lot of coastal mountain peaks don't even reach that high -- but I didn't think I'd dreamed it up, so I did a quick search and came up with the following (Sea of Fallen Stars, pg 21):

"Elves speak of Jhaamdath as a great despoiler of the nearby forests known to them as Nikerymath. It was this abuse of the forest and the concurrent extirpation of the elves therein that caused the remaining High Mages to summon a great tidal wave in the Year of Furious Waves (-255 DR) to scour the shores of the inlet and wipe the Twelve Cities off the face of Faerűn. The wave widened the basin and made it into the Vilhon Reach of today.

With the destruction of Jhaamdath, the elven High Mages above unknowingly shattered the elven capital of Coryselmal beneath the waters at the mouth of the inlet, ending the rule of elves in Serôs. Still more abuse was to come, as the once numerous small undersea villages and farms within the Selmal Basin (as the undersea dwellers called the Reach) vanished under the rain of debris picked up by the wave or dragged back into the basin by the backwash of the crashing wave. Still, ever since the fall of Jhaamdath, the only folk who have built more than remote outposts and hidden enclaves are koalinth. The elves abandoned the ruined basin, as the pearly towers that characterized this region lay shattered beneath the heavy green marble debris dragged down from the coastal cities above.

Exactly what can be discovered in these waters is up to DMs. Much potential treasure is here from either the elven ruins or the Twelve Cities (and whatever may have washed down out of the mountains when a mile-high wave crashed above some lower peaks). DMs do need to remember are that most Inner Sea creatures can’t breathe both the saltwater of the sea and freshwater, which is west of Arrabar. Koalinth rule these waters with a fierce eye, as they too explore the ruins for riches."

So there's both the reference to the wave's height and the notion of the Twelve Cities being dragged down off the coast rather than simply sinking. Also, from the FR mailing list, some notes Ed wrote up (Sat, April 1, 2000, posted by Kimberly Moser):

"JHAAMDATH
Jhaamdath is entirely drowned in the Vilhon Reach -- and deeply buried, too, under tons of rock hurled atop it by the tidal wave and torn off the sides of the gulf by the scouring waves. Your PCs are facing months of digging, UNLESS they stumble across a gate that whisks them into 'pockets' (in effect, water-filled dungeon complexes) in the heart of the buried realm. One or more of these should probably contain cities -- because without buildings, what would form the 'roof' of a pocket that's stable enough to last this long? Of course, creatures within, long isolated from the wider world, could be your own variants of what's swimming around outside..."

So there you go. Not sure what you wish to make of it, esp. in light of the LEoF book, but that's where I got my information. A mile *IS* probably overdoing it, but I imagine one even a tenth that tall would have looked a mile high to someone in the city fatalistically watching it arrive. If you wanted, you could instead consider it a mile thick and 500 feet high, and the sheer quantity of water would still be enough to wipe Jhaamdath off the coast.

As for the notion that the wave would bounce back and forth and cause serious destruction all throughout the SoFS, well, the calendar does refer to it as the Year of Furious Waves. Yet if the elven High Mages had the power to generate such a wave, they would have the power to limit its effects elsewhere, and I think they certainly would want to do so. It's magic . . . anything can happen.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com

Edited by - Thomas M. Reid on 15 Feb 2005 14:38:41
Go to Top of Page

edbonny
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2005 :  15:00:48  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When writing about Jhaamdath, it was apparent that very little survived intact. While this dearth of surviving anything makes for great mystery, it seemed that there just had to be something more that survived than just a distant graveyard (Dordrien Crypt from City of the Spider-Queen). There are two areas that offer the promise of learning perhaps a little more about the Jhaamdathan Empire. One is an enigma yet to be fully understood - a "ghost city" that appears every few deacades floating above the sea. The other was the Jhaamdath port city of Jhouram, built among a hilly region along the coast. When the wave came, the hills shielded a few sections of the city protecting them from being completely demolished. The city sections lie submerged mostly intact.

It is unknown how much of this made it into print. Come on Thursday! I am getting my copy then!

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2005 :  03:54:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edbonny

When writing about Jhaamdath, it was apparent that very little survived intact. While this dearth of surviving anything makes for great mystery, it seemed that there just had to be something more that survived than just a distant graveyard (Dordrien Crypt from City of the Spider-Queen). There are two areas that offer the promise of learning perhaps a little more about the Jhaamdathan Empire. One is an enigma yet to be fully understood - a "ghost city" that appears every few deacades floating above the sea. The other was the Jhaamdath port city of Jhouram, built among a hilly region along the coast. When the wave came, the hills shielded a few sections of the city protecting them from being completely demolished. The city sections lie submerged mostly intact.

It is unknown how much of this made it into print. Come on Thursday! I am getting my copy then!

- Ed

Speaking of Jhouram

Where is it?

Ok found it Silvanus eyes are Ilighon and Wavecrest

So Im guess 10 miles south of the eyes would put Jhouram somewhere in the water bewteen the eyes and Ixinos?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 16 Feb 2005 04:27:50
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2005 :  17:51:29  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apologies for the hyperbole of "mile-high" waves and all that jazz.

Here was my intent in creating Jhaamdath 8 years ago and destroying it at the same time.

A) We needed the historical precedents to establish a number of things re: Chondath and fix a few historical bugaboos. (No, I don't remember what they were at this point, but neither Eric nor George would have let me do it if it'd cause more headaches.)

B) I wanted to put some elven high magic on-stage other than mythal building, and figured the elves of that area had sufficient cause to be rather peeved enough to do something drastic.

C) The high mages' intent on this ritual was to eradicate Jhaamdath and any evidence of its existence from the area. They chose the form of a massive wave, and while I regret calling it a mile-high wave, it wasn't simply a wall of water. It's High Magic, after all--think of the wave almost akin to turning that body of water into a gargantuan water elemental whose task was to knock down any buildings and/or people it could find. It still moves and acts like a wave for the most part, but there were other factors. (Space considerations prevented this from ever getting detailed, so take it with a grain of salt now, as it's not quite canon any longer.) Needless to say, the magic ingrained in the waters were enough that not even settlements quite a ways up the slopes were safe--unless the elves knew nothing about them (which leaves a number of places spared).

D) The elven high mages set up the magic to mitigate any peripheral impact (i.e. the Year of Furious Waves would have been incalculably worse in the SOFS if they'd not mitigated the damage and kept it penned in around the Reach). The waves and after-shocks and whatnot that occurred after the intial strike were kept in that general area, and secondary waves aided the geographic changes and altering the landscape.

Hope this clears up more rather than confuses. As it is, my intentions and ideas in the background can be used if desired, but they're not canon any longer. Just what I meant to say if we never had page limitations.

And Thomas, I look forward to seeing what you do with that area. Drop me a line if you need any more obscure or hidden info on that area.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2005 :  18:34:07  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Apologies for the hyperbole of "mile-high" waves and all that jazz.

Here was my intent in creating Jhaamdath 8 years ago and destroying it at the same time.

A) We needed the historical precedents to establish a number of things re: Chondath and fix a few historical bugaboos. (No, I don't remember what they were at this point, but neither Eric nor George would have let me do it if it'd cause more headaches.)
Hope this clears up more rather than confuses. As it is, my intentions and ideas in the background can be used if desired, but they're not canon any longer. Just what I meant to say if we never had page limitations.

And Thomas, I look forward to seeing what you do with that area. Drop me a line if you need any more obscure or hidden info on that area.

Steven

LOL... Since I haven't looked at the Chondathan history since I put into statis my historical campaign, I'm looking forward to seeing if this clears up any of the oddities I remember from my looking around. (Though, if Eric or George remember any of the specifics of what you mean, I'd be grateful for the heads-up )

Lysander

Defender of the Second Edition
Moderator, Project Gemengan, Worlds of D&D
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2005 :  22:42:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall, the 'history problem' arose out of a few broad, sweeping statements Ed had previously made in a few 1E and 2E products re the colonisation of the northern Inner Sea lands, Sembia and the Dalelands from the lands of the Vilhon Reach (he noted that this region would periodically suffer population booms and overcrowding leading to people heading north to frontier lands around the Inner Sea). All these references (such as the one about the first Dalesmen crossing the Reach in c. -200 DR) seemed to point to old and established human settlement of the Vilhon.

The problem was that the other sources that gave specifics (such as the "Vilhon Reach" accessory) had Chondath and Turmish founded AFTER this wave of colonisation. Obviously, there had to have been an advanced human civilization in the region prior to the material presented in the "Vilhon Reach" accessory and other places - so Steven created and presented us with Jhaamdath (whilst cleverly linking this nation with the Calishite lands to the west in terms of wars and conflicts over territorial expansion).

It also conveniently gave us another 'lost empire' to play with. All worked out very well, IMHO.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2005 :  22:57:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now see, this is what I really like about this forum. Not only do we discuss Realmslore, we get to find out the intent behind certain bits of lore... So we have the flavor, and we know why it's there... That just adds to it.

Thank you for sharing that with us, Steven.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2005 :  01:37:41  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Gets sly look*

Um Thomas how many FR source books are you working on...?

We now know your working on Champions of "Good".... Are you working a regional source book to?..... Maybe on the Vilhon reach?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2005 :  01:49:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Any ideas how prevelant Psionic Talents where in Jhaamdath?

What percentage of the population had psionic powers?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2005 :  15:19:14  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

*Gets sly look*

We now know your working on Champions of "Good".... Are you working a regional source book to?..... Maybe on the Vilhon reach?

I didn't say I was working on any FR sourcebooks.
But the Jhaamdath stuff isn't for game design; a certain green-colored rod-shaped symbol of rulership just might be linked to the place somehow.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2005 :  20:21:43  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas M. Reid
But the Jhaamdath stuff isn't for game design; a certain green-colored rod-shaped symbol of rulership just might be linked to the place somehow.
Thomas

The Great Gazoo is from Jhaamdath?

Steven
Who doesn't know why he's suddenly thinking of old Flintstone cartoons but there it is......

PS: As noted above, it seems that very few buildings/places remain of Jhaamdath (more than likely even less than remain of Netheril), but there's probably treasures aplenty up among the mountains around the Reach even after all this time. Y'all better hope that the nasties in Surrkh don't have any of `em....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2005 :  22:05:39  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Great Gazoo?!?! My players have been questing for that for ages... Now you go and give them hints.

Seriously though, when we're talking Jhaamdath, do we have ideas as to how far their primary culture had spread or was it limited to the geographic region of the 12 Cities? I don't have LoeF quite yet so...

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2005 :  06:03:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas M. Reid

quote:

*Gets sly look*

I didn't say I was working on any FR sourcebooks.

Thomas

Ah ok

I thought it may have also have been the Emerald Enclave (Which I imagine will appear in "Champions of Good")

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2005 :  06:32:00  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

PS: As noted above, it seems that very few buildings/places remain of Jhaamdath (more than likely even less than remain of Netheril), but there's probably treasures aplenty up among the mountains around the Reach even after all this time. Y'all better hope that the nasties in Surrkh don't have any of `em....

I was actually thinking more like Duegar

In Vilhon reach I found a reference to a mine called Daroush in Lilit Pass that apparently has seen alot of Duegar activity lately.

The nearest Duegar city is Dunspeirrin a city renown for its Psionic users (including the Dwarven Goddess Deep Dueera) not much further away we have the Mind Flayer city of Oryndoll... I think I can fairly safely say where alot of Jhaamdaths Psionic items went!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2005 :  13:55:02  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone noticed that Elven High Magic is often portrayed as something akin to waging nuclear war?

The Destruction of Tintageer
The Sundering
Jhaamdath
The Descent of the Drow
The Dark Disaster of Miyeritar

In each case above there seems to have been terrible repercusions for not only the target but often the casters, with "fallout" harming unintended victims of the spells.

I am surprised this hasn't spawned more of an anti-war movement among the elves, or some kind of cold war, or high magic arms race.

But then again, maybe it has and it just hasn't been written much about yet. I am curious about what the sociological impact has been on the elves in the aftermath of using such devastating magic with such far-reaching, unintended, ill effects.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2005 :  14:22:18  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Has anyone noticed that Elven High Magic is often portrayed as something akin to waging nuclear war?

The Destruction of Tintageer
The Sundering
Jhaamdath
The Descent of the Drow
The Dark Disaster of Miyeritar

In each case above there seems to have been terrible repercusions for not only the target but often the casters, with "fallout" harming unintended victims of the spells.

I am surprised this hasn't spawned more of an anti-war movement among the elves, or some kind of cold war, or high magic arms race.

But then again, maybe it has and it just hasn't been written much about yet. I am curious about what the sociological impact has been on the elves in the aftermath of using such devastating magic with such far-reaching, unintended, ill effects.

Im suprised that there isnt a larger Anti Elf faction in most of non Elven Kingdoms. I wouldnt be suprised if Sembia's dislike/hatred of elves doesnt spurn from the Elves destruction of Jhaamdath.

You know after reading all that Youve got to think that the Elves had alot of cheek saying the Netherese where iresponsiable, when you look at some of the stuff the elves pulled the Netherese stuff pales in comparision.

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2005 :  16:34:51  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I thought it may have also have been the Emerald Enclave (Which I imagine will appear in "Champions of Good")

Champions, yes, but at least I've alwasy read their press, I don't know if I could call the Enclave a 'good' organization.

Though, that might have something to do with that I see them as antagonists to be overcome.

Lysander

Defender of the Second Edition
Moderator, Project Gemengan, Worlds of D&D
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2005 :  22:40:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Im suprised that there isnt a larger Anti Elf faction in most of non Elven Kingdoms. I wouldnt be suprised if Sembia's dislike/hatred of elves doesnt spurn from the Elves destruction of Jhaamdath.

I thought it was because the elves had forcibly halted Sembia's expansion...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2005 :  20:45:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You know after reading all that Youve got to think that the Elves had alot of cheek saying the Netherese where iresponsiable, when you look at some of the stuff the elves pulled the Netherese stuff pales in comparision.

All goes back to perspective. I can easily see how the elves that destroyed Jhaamdath could feel entirely justified in their actions.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2005 :  15:45:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I thought it was because the elves had forcibly halted Sembia's expansion...

Perhaps they were both simply smaller incidents in a much larger and longer lasting human/elven conflict.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000