Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  04:56:53  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Interesting

I recall in Silver Marches a bunch of Refugees from Zhentil Keep set up a town over in the Marches. I wonder who Cormyr will attract (Zhentil Keeps no longer the lawless ruin it was under cyrics goons so I imagine there wont be to many Zhents signing up for a new life in Cormyr.

As for Cormyr jailing the "dead beat Dads"

If I was a Purple Dragon Id think the Crown had some cheek given how many "unmarried mothers" Azoun IV produced!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  05:27:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Wooly, don't you see?
The Crown wants Cormyr repopulated and is prepared to pick up some of the costs of feeding and rearing a child - - but wants to prevent an "unwed mother" explosion by telling randy troops (the men in the kingdom it can readily control) that they'll get punished if they get up to hanky-panky to split some coin with the lucky lass, or thinking the Crown will pay for the child so they can happily roger any willing woman without any thought of "being a father." A population explosion of unruly brats is NOT desired.
love,
THO

Okay. I figured it was something like that, but I wanted to make sure.

Thank you, my Lady.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Phantom_Lord
Seeker

Pakistan
92 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  07:07:00  Show Profile  Visit Phantom_Lord's Homepage Send Phantom_Lord a Private Message
Dear MrGreenwood,

In the year of the many mists (DR circa I forget) a lich rises in the Desertsmouth mountains which claims to be Sammaster. After the initial confusion, cult members determine that the lich is indeed Sammaster and they all gather around him.

A few years later a company of paladins, namely The Twelve, ride out and face this evil.

What I would like to know are the identities of each of these twelve paladins if they have ever been explored, named, or even seen in any novels or games.

And if these have never been named, is it safe for the DM to go ahead and make her own? Thanks.

Ponka! Kaddu!
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  14:54:40  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message
quote:

Purple Dragons have been told that to father a child on someone they haven’t wed (or fail to marry when they learn of the pregnancy), except when the mother was a Crown-licensed prostitute (yes, such licensing is new, and involves War Wizards covertly paying ladies of the evening who pass on interesting things they see and hear from clients), is now a ten-years-of-prisoner-labour (mainly road repair, irrigation, and bridge-building) offense.

Wow. And next they will be drafting a law that yields 5 - 10 for breathing air or eating beef!! But Cormyr is the good kingdom of course!

Sorry for being a smart alec. I just really don't like Cormyr.

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  14:55:58  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

As for Cormyr jailing the "dead beat Dads"

If I was a Purple Dragon Id think the Crown had some cheek given how many "unmarried mothers" Azoun IV produced!

Ah man!!! I didn't even think of that angle!! The hypocrasy of it all!!!

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  15:05:10  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom_Lord

What I would like to know are the identities of each of these twelve paladins if they have ever been explored, named, or even seen in any novels or games.

And if these have never been named, is it safe for the DM to go ahead and make her own? Thanks.

As far as I know they have never been mentioned outside of the CotD accessory, and even there they were only briefly mentioned.

As for detailing them yourself, far be it from me to speak for Ed, but by all means. That is entirely in keeping with the spirit of the game!!

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  15:36:49  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
Here is a thing I have been wondering about for quite some time now. Just who are the moonstars, why did Khelben found them, what was this deal he made with Fzoul, and why did this get him kicked out of the Harpers?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  18:43:30  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message
Greetings Lady Hooded One and Ed of the Greenwood, I've a question or two for you on Calimshan, and local adventurers.

Most of the existing Realms resources on Calimshan seem to present it as an adventure locale for foreigners rather than an adventure locale for locals.

Are Calishite adventurers adventuring in Calimshan an uncommon occurence?

Where do they fit in the social scheme of Calimshan? How does their being adventurers effect their social standing (i.e. Calishites must be married by 20 and be running/involved in a successful business venture [does adventuring qualify?]).

Also, if you could perhaps provide and adventure hook or two (or LOTS) for local adventurers in the area I'd be very much thankful.

Thank you Ed, and THO.
Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  21:09:59  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Here is a thing I have been wondering about for quite some time now. Just who are the moonstars, why did Khelben found them, what was this deal he made with Fzoul, and why did this get him kicked out of the Harpers?

The Moonstars are an offshoot faction from the Harpers. They are more neutral in alignment and have a more pragmatic ideology than the mainstream Harpers. Khelben basically made peace with Fzoul as long as the Zhentarim agreed not to advance any further into the North. The Harpers based out of Berdusk did not approve of Khelben making such a deal with an enemy, and a schism occured. He than formed the Moonstars both to keep his deal with Fzoul and to safeguard the North in what he feels is a more efficient manner. I'm sure there are details I'm missing, but that's the gist of it.
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  22:05:26  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
Lovely Hooded One,

Another question for Master Greenwood.

Ed,

Why did Narnra's mother leave her all alone?

And can you tell us something about Song dragons? I saw yet another mention of them in a Dragon Magazine article you wrote concerning a shop in Silverymoon. I've never come across any lore concerning that type of dragon before.

Regards,
RevJest (formerly known as simontrinity)

Edited by - RevJest on 24 Mar 2005 22:08:54
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  22:25:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RevJest
And can you tell us something about Song dragons? I saw yet another mention of them in a Dragon Magazine article you wrote concerning a shop in Silverymoon. I've never come across any lore concerning that type of dragon before.

Regards,

Monsters of Faerun has some information on song dragons.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  22:43:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Regards,

And they were weredragons in 2e. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  23:00:38  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
It should also be noted that 1st and 2nd Edition sources also contain some lore on song dragons, under their former name of "weredragon." Places to find such lore include FRA1-Halls of the High King and Dragon Magazine #134; two NPCs from Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast are weredragons, and both Corellon Larethian and Erevan Illesere are said (in Demihuman Deities) to use these creatures as emissaries.

Any differences between 2E weredragons and 3E song dragons are, of course, best left to Ed to discuss...
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  23:19:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
It should also be noted that 1st and 2nd Edition sources also contain some lore on song dragons, under their former name of "weredragon." Places to find such lore include FRA1-Halls of the High King and Dragon Magazine #134; two NPCs from Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast are weredragons, and both Corellon Larethian and Erevan Illesere are said (in Demihuman Deities) to use these creatures as emissaries.

Any differences between 2E weredragons and 3E song dragons are, of course, best left to Ed to discuss...

They were also in 1 of the 4 monster books. The set of four where the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ones had a black cover and the 1st one had a white cover.

And don't forget Sylune of the Seven Sisters, could also turn into one.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 24 Mar 2005 23:19:46
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  23:33:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Cloak & Dagger (one of the last 2E books, and one quite rich in lore) gives all the known info about the Moonstars, why Khelben founded them, and his deal with Fzoul.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2005 :  00:03:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

I belive that Ed first showed us weredragons in an old DRAGON monster article (one of the Creature Catalogs?) and the one bit of lore that he slipped in stated that there was one living in Waterdeep and married to a captain of the city Guard or somesuch. I wonder if Narnra was any relation or was in fact that weredragon. Golly, that would have been about 10 years ago.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2005 :  00:57:42  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
There is information on the Moonstars in an "upcoming product".

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2005 :  00:59:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Tease! And people say I'm bad ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2005 :  02:01:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Wooly Rupert recently asked Ed of the Greenwood this: So does "Srinshee" have a specific meaning, then?

And Ed makes reply: Yes.

After I stopped laughing, I sent Ed back a “c’mon, dear, more!” e-mail, and received this additional lore:

“srinna” is an old, nigh-forgotten Elvish dialect word meaning: “one who tests limits/the testing of limits/the finding of new horizons and thus establishing new boundaries”

From this, obviously, “srinshee” is a wise female elder, strong in magic, who tests the limits (of magic), and THE Srinshee is an individual whom some elves, at some time, have officially confirmed or anointed in this role. The term has drifted, over the long years, to mean something more like ‘keeper of the secrets’ (of magic) or ‘keeper of our power.’

So saith Ed. so there you have it, Wooly dearest.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

zeathiel
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2005 :  02:29:24  Show Profile  Visit zeathiel's Homepage Send zeathiel a Private Message
Here's a question for Ed,

I was always intrigued by the "Realms by Night" articles, however they never to my knowledge touched on the subject of ghosts in Silverymoon...

Are there benevolent undead that haunt Silverymoon or similiar locales?

My Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2005 :  02:33:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Hello, all. Wooly Rupert recently asked Ed of the Greenwood this: So does "Srinshee" have a specific meaning, then?

And Ed makes reply: Yes.

After I stopped laughing, I sent Ed back a “c’mon, dear, more!” e-mail, and received this additional lore:

“srinna” is an old, nigh-forgotten Elvish dialect word meaning: “one who tests limits/the testing of limits/the finding of new horizons and thus establishing new boundaries”

From this, obviously, “srinshee” is a wise female elder, strong in magic, who tests the limits (of magic), and THE Srinshee is an individual whom some elves, at some time, have officially confirmed or anointed in this role. The term has drifted, over the long years, to mean something more like ‘keeper of the secrets’ (of magic) or ‘keeper of our power.’

So saith Ed. so there you have it, Wooly dearest.
love to all,
THO

As always, thanks to both of you!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2005 :  02:36:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by zeathiel

Here's a question for Ed,

I was always intrigued by the "Realms by Night" articles, however they never to my knowledge touched on the subject of ghosts in Silverymoon...

Are there benevolent undead that haunt Silverymoon or similiar locales?

My Thanks

Those articles were the handiwork of Steven Schend. In a previous posting, he shared this info:

quote:
Well, ask away; I think I've a little more time on my hands than Ed does, anyway.

The Ghost Walks of Waterdeep sprang from a great ghost walk/tour of York England I took in the fall of 1996, and it took me that long to get around to writing up something similar for the Realms. In fact, by the time that series ran, I had already left Wizards.

As for Realms by Night, I had planned to keep writing that indefinitely until my patience or WotC's ended. I'd planned/been thinking about walking folk down the Sword Coast (some ghosts of the Stump Bog, some haunted waysides along the roads, etc.), do at least a token wrap-up/overview of ghosts in Baldur's Gate and other notable sites along the way, then do another long raft of ghost stories for Velen, the most-haunted city of Faerun (IMO, of course). Beyond that, I'd wanted to do some other major cities and sites like George mentioned (Suzail, Calimport, ad nauseum).

Why did I stop? One, I got busy with other things, as happens. Secondly, Wizards kept after me to write everything up with stat blocks so people could go fight the ghosts. Since that run completely counter to my intent for the series--give people a bunch of ghost stories purely for creep-out story potential and add another layer of lore to places--I decided to end the series rather than write it in a way that I didn't want to go. <shrug>

And before you ask, no, I don't have any more notes or scribbles about the series. Just about everything that was written saw print, and a quick check of the hard drive just now didn't dig up any notes or undeveloped ideas...oh wait, yes it did. Bear in mind these are rough notes just to gel the basics of the idea in my head; they aren't complete but here's a few more hints you can toss around the taverns....

New Olamn’s Ghost Bard
Typical Location: Castle Ward—New Olamn, the bards’ college at the end of the Cliffride.

Description of site and situation
14 year old half-elven boy who gets possessed by three of the greatest bards that ever lived (and did not become gods, like Finder)—two human, one elvish. Boy channels the ghosts and helps them communicate their greatest unsung works. Takes New Olamn’s manuscript copies of Bard A’s “Unfinished Ballads” and works directly on them, finishing them for the ghost. Other ghost died during the Dracorage of 1018 and wants to write up his direct eyewitness account of the event after 352 years. Also sings in Eaerlanni Elvish, a particular dialect that only a few in Waterdeep have ever heard, and certainly not something the boy knew.

The Widow Trees
Typical Location: Trades Ward—Directly behind Gondalim’s Inn (T8/#173).

“Whenever ye hear the sobbing out around the foor of the Widow Trees, best to find yourself someplace safe to be. It’s said those who hear the ghost’s cries are soon to be ghosts themselves.”

Ghosts of the Yawning Portal
Typical Location: Castle Ward—The Yawning Portal tavern (C48/#4)

“quote by mirt about durnan & his place”
Two nights a year (Mirtul 1, Marpenoth 30), ghosts of those slain and unmourned and unburied in UMT make their way to the Yawning Portal, pay their fare in ghostly coin, and either dissipate or become wandering ghosts of Dock Ward. PCs can hire on to find and finish the quest of the dead person, or at least bury the bones to give them rest (and find treasure)

The Copper Ghost
Typical Location: Copper Cup in Dock Ward
Skeleton inside tun of wine in long bricked-up wine cellar; any who drink wine from this cellar return here by compulsion or they die on the spot……..

The Gauntyl Ghost
Typical Location: Anywhere a member of the Gauntyl clan is; most frequent visitations at their villa …..
Penny-pinching ghost of the great-grandfather of the current lord; generally a peaceful spirit but he becomes a prankster and a bother if the family becomes spendthrift. During his day, the house and family nearly went under due to creditors, and he swore he would protect the family from ever suffering such indignity again……

There. That's everything I had on file for Waterdhavian ghosts....

Steven
Who wonders if he should mention Syndra Wands, a special spectre and sorcerer who still teaches from her townhouse.....

Go to Top of Page

Sarkile
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2005 :  10:28:17  Show Profile  Visit Sarkile's Homepage Send Sarkile a Private Message
I have another question for Ed.
Could you expand on the strength and machinations of the current factions in the city of Scardale as presented in the Campaign Setting? Perhaps immediate and long term goals, and notable NPCs within the factions if there are any?
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2005 :  18:19:30  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message

I'm curious about the atmosphere in Arabel in the days immediately following Gondegal's defeat. Was the city unwillfully placed under Gondegal's lead or did he have local support? What sort of efforts were made following the occupation to root out traitors and/or to supress dissent? Did it involve many folk? What did the common folk of Arabel think of these efforts?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2005 :  01:46:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed of the Greenwood makes reply to Taelohn:
The reactions of folk to the appearance of half-fiends or half-celestials looking drastically different than human depends on where it appears, what’s going on where it appears, and its own behavior.
In general, rural farmers will attack or flee and hide, and folk in the most tolerant trading centers (such as Waterdeep and Tashluta) or the most lawless ones (Scornubel or the docks in Luskan) will have the most casual reactions: treating it as they would anyone else (after perhaps making sure weapons are to hand). Yes, a close watch would be kept on such folk, and the local watch (and perhaps handy priests) would be alerted - - and the watch would then DEFINITELY keep such beings under observation.
In general, such beings are very rare in the Realms and do tend to dwell in wilderland areas, keeping to themselves, travelling under magical guises, and adopting constant magical disguises if they choose to dwell in urban areas (such as the cities of Sembia).
Again, angelic-winged half-celestials would generally cause shock and awe in farmlands (there are the inevitable folk tales of farm lasses being wooed and even seduced by “angels” who appeared only to them, and hid from everyone else on the farm), and could well succeed in passing itself off as a divine creature. All strangers get watched in small settlements; strangers who are “different from us” get watched suspiciously. The advice of priests is sought, if they’re available.
In urban areas, priests would be summoned ‘on the double’ to identify such a creature, but it would in general be treated politely, as an outlander worthy of respect, until priests’ pronouncements or its own words and deeds evoked different reactions. Not many people would know what it truly was, but their reactions would be tempered by a wariness (in a magic-using society where “strange” outlanders can well have unknown spells and abilities) about any unfamiliar sort of being.

So saith Ed. More Realmslore from the Master tomorrow.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2005 :  09:32:35  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well Met All

Have a question about Nimoar the Reaver - (Krash o' the North kindly answered my questions about Nimoars Hold on the Realms-L but couldn't furnish any specifics about Nimoar himself, he muttered something about another sage knowing more... ).

Am using Nimoars Hold circa 882DR as a base for a new campaign and would like info about him; his appearance, favoured weapon, battle tactics, favourite tipple, speech, wife and children, make up of his band of warriors etc any help is thankfully received!

I understand that the realtionship between Nimoars Hold, Kingdom of Man Lord of Calandor etc will be covered in Eric's new book so if Ed or Eric can fill in some of the blanks without overstepping the NDA's that would be great

cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2005 :  21:17:24  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

As could anyone, given a shapechange spell. Ah, the joys of being an archmage. Certain archmages have been known to produce a fair amount of havoc by changing into one dragon, releasing a breath weapon, changing into another on the next round, releasing another breath weapon, etc., etc., particularly if they "share spells" with their familiar (two dragons, two breaths).

But onto the questions:

Two for Ed, a far greater sage than I:

1) How does one pronounce the name of Scyllua Darkhope, High Castellan of Zhentil Keep? I always thought it would make sense to pronounce it Psi-looa, Psi-loh-a, or something of that nature, so that her name begins with the same sound as “scythe.” Or, depending on how one pronounces “scythe,” I suppose it could be Sky-loh-a.

2) I seem to recall reading somewhere (could have been a novel, could have been a 2e product) that Mystra (the old, pre-Midnight, post-Mystryl Mystra) and Helm had once been lovers, which made sense because their alignments matched (LN) and the way they viewed their duties seemed similar, which makes their battle in Shadowdale all the more dramatic. Is there some basis to this idea, or have I simply read too many arcane tomes for my own apprentice mind to handle?

As always, ever in awe,

m
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2005 :  22:45:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by malchor7

quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

As could anyone, given a shapechange spell. Ah, the joys of being an archmage. Certain archmages have been known to produce a fair amount of havoc by changing into one dragon, releasing a breath weapon, changing into another on the next round, releasing another breath weapon, etc., etc., particularly if they "share spells" with their familiar (two dragons, two breaths).

Yes but Sylune's was not a shapechange spell it was a specific power she had as a Chosen.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2005 :  02:37:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Skeptic, your recent query happened to coincide with some lore-work Ed was doing, so behold: some lore about the Lady Naneatha Lhaurilstar:

Skeptic, the Lady Naneatha Lhaurilstar is one of four well-established courtesans of Waterdeep - - by which I mean the four senior (out of a dozen or so) professional hostesses paid by the Palace to give house room and companionship to visiting VIPS (trade envoys, wealthy investors, important merchants and sometimes priests, rulers and courtiers). All of these senior courtesans (Larissa Neathal is another; she’s detailed on page 70 of the Campaign Guide booklet in the CITY OF SPLENDORS boxed set) are styled “Lady of Waterdeep” and accorded personal arms (heraldic blazons) and status as if they were heads of noble Houses of Waterdeep. Their role often (but needn’t) involves sexually pleasing their guests; they function more as guides to the city, networking facilitators (escorting their guests to the right feasts, revels, and private dinners and meetings; and performing introductions), friendly companions, and sources of food, lodgings, coaches, laundry facilities, servants’ lodgings for their guests.
The intent is to foster friendships, so their guests will “think well” of Waterdeep, and confide in the courtesans, too (all of them of course being spies for the Palace, mind-protected by the Blackstaff’s spells - - and monitored from afar by duty apprentices of Blackstaff Tower, when ‘working’ - - to prevent their being subverted by hostile magic or mental powers of guests).
Alone of the four, Naneatha Lhaurilstar (now a NG human female T5; Dex 17, Cha 16) is a member of the Red Sashes, and only one of two Red Sashes who know that their leader, “the One,” is in fact Durnan of the Yawning Portal.
Loarulingates, her palatial but cozy, walled-garden-girt mansion, stands on the south side of quiet, exclusive Gem Street in Castle Ward, its tree-cloaked, ponds-and-bridges shady gardens overlooked by the grim battlements of Castle Waterdeep immediately to the south. Loarulingates, named by Naneatha for her dead mother Loarulin (herself a courtesan of Waterdeep, who raised her after the death of her father Angrel Lhaurilstar, a half-elf ranger from Silverymoon, and taught her the arts of pleasure, grace, dancing, etiquette, and acting), stands on Gem Street between the ornate stone homes of two wealthy, aging merchants, and its gardens spread out in a triangular wedge behind it.
Naneatha has superb control of her emotions, voice, and face: she might feign fear or awe or excitement, and may also feel them in truth, but one can never be sure that the emotions she exhibits match her true feelings. Nothing disgusts her, from kissing foul-breathed orcs to rolling in blood and gore to assisting in birthings; she stays cool-headed and usually shows the world a sunny disposition. She is a firm (and trusted) friend of Durnan, Piergeiron, Madeiron, Tarthus, Mirt, Asper, and Kitten - - as well as dozens of outlanders whom she’s “guested” in the service of the city. She’s been the lover of many of the latter, and of Durnan (briefly, long ago, before his marriage), Madeiron, Tarthus, and Kitten (who remains her closest friend).
Naneatha has a low, throaty chuckle (she can giggle when she deems it appropriate, and is a VERY good mimic of the voices and verbal mannerisms of others), long (bum-length) and wavy golden blonde-hair, a lush figure (trim waist and thighs, but ample breasts and hips), and a fine-boned face and throat that a visiting Calishite pasha once described as “the most beautiful he’s ever seen: as if Sune and Sharess themselves sculpted her, and took great trouble over their work.” Naneatha can improve her Charisma score temporarily by improving her appearance (with cosmetics, hairdo, and clothing) and her manner; she customarily assumes a laid-back, rather languid, ‘cozy good-listener and submissive best friend’ manner [hence the 16 score] rather than trying to dominate a room. She has successfully passed herself off as a queen “from far Thardelay, beyond Thay” and successfully fooled courtiers of Tethyr and wealthy folk of Amn and Neverwinter, just by acting imperious.
Usually very busy in the service of the city, Naneatha values her private time. When ‘off-cloak’ (her term for “off duty”), she often slips out a back gate onto one of the paths that climb the slopes of Mount Waterdeep, and passes around the Castle, to reach Dock Ward without using the main streets, and goes to taverns and festhalls with Kitten. She usually does this in old clothes, deliberately dirtying herself up (sometimes by simply rolling in the mulch-pile of her own gardens) and looking and acting down-at-heel. She loves watching bawdy entertainment and drinking when she DOESN’T have to act the perfect hostess, or appear awed or aroused or amused by some loutish guest of the city. She can deftly and VERY quickly alter her appearance by subtle use of cosmetics, changing the apparent size of her eyes and brows and shape of her face - - and she wears (and uses) an anklet (that looks like a bandage) equal in powers to a Mask of Lies (q.v., COMPLETE ADVENTURER p134) that enables her to activate a Disguise Self at will to change the hue of her hair from its striking gold to anything she wants (usually she chooses a dirty, tangled black).
Naneatha secretly loves Kitten more than she wants Kitten to know, and also longs to become the lover of Laeral (who’s just recently become aware of the intensity of Naneatha’s feelings, doesn’t want to shatter her in any way, and is debating with herself as to what to do about it). Naneatha enjoys the company of men - - she just happens to feel most strongly for two people who happen to be of her own gender. Naneatha takes pride in her work, and intends to go on doing it for as long as her looks and health let her. She intends to use her wiles to marry a lonely noble (of either gender), and live out her failing days in luxury, hopefully retaining Kitten (or winning Laeral, or enjoying both) as her lover. Though she spends lavishly on clothing, scents, and wine (she’s built up a huge cellar of drinkables, a taste for identifying them, and a tolerance for drinking that would astonsih many a sailor), the upkeep of Loarulingates and its gardens are paid for by Piergeiron. Naneatha draws a salary of nine thousand gold pieces a year, and is often given large bonuses by Piergeiron (in some years, increasing her income five-fold). She’s quietly investing some of this in Mirt’s shipping concerns, and most of it by purchasing property after property in Sea Ward and North Ward, as well as owning Superb Splendors, a small firm of gnome and half-elven painters and decorators (who do ornamental trim, match or complement existing decor, and so on, for the wealthy and noble).
Some years ago Naneatha purchased a burnt-out North Ward tallhouse. She put Superb Splendors to overseeing its demolition, to salvage anything useful and to determine the condition of its foundations ere builders began erecting a new building (tasteful rental suites, one to a floor), and they found something strange: a small stone in the rubble that felt like a smooth metal box when handled - - and brought on a night-time attack by skeletons and a skeletal bat.
Naneatha took custody of the stone from her frightened workers, and was soon visited by the source of the undead: a lich whose phylactery the ‘stone’ (actually a metal box bearing an illusion) was. They had a tense confrontation, but her utter lack of fear impressed the lich, who offered to let her hide the phylactery somewhere in Loarulingates, keeping it safe. If it’s ever stolen or damaged, their deal will end - - but until then, the lich will come and defend or aid her if she handles the phylactery and calls its name, or avenge her if she’s slain (it’ll do this once, taking the phylactery and ending their agreement at the same time). Naneatha has kept the name, nature, and existence of the lich secret, and doesn’t know where it dwells (somewhere in or under Waterdeep, she suspects) from everyone except Laeral, who happened to find out when renewing the spells cast on Naneatha’s mind, did not reveal even to Naneatha what she’d learned, and cast a few additional magics of her own to hide this secret from Khelben and any Blackstaff Tower apprentice who might have mind-contact with the courtesan.
As a thief, Naneatha steals information, almost never items (and NEVER mere coins and valuables). The few items she does take are things like maps and notes (for copying and stealthy return), betraying talismans or symbols (to pass to the authorities), or perils such as poisons, gases, magic items, and weapons (to deprive a dangerous person of them before authorities come calling).
As a Red Sash, her duties are almost always these: hiding persons in one of her properties or among her household (and aiding in disguising them); spying on persons (watching and eavesdropping) at feasts and revels; reporting to the Red Sashes on the doings of her city-assigned “guests;” and using her beauty as a decoy or distraction (or, in disguise, acting a part the Sashes need her to, such as a city lady or shopkeeper’s wife gossiping where someone can overhear, and passing on misinformation or a code-phrase in this manner). Sometimes she’ll be sent to Dock Ward in the guise of a common trull to pick up and take a person through cellars, sewers, and Mirt’s tunnels to another Waterdhavian address (usually a ‘safe house’ for hiding, and sometimes her own Loarulingates, which has several secret entrances and garden tunnels of its own, one of them emerging up in the heart of a still-living tree).

So saith Ed. Wow, a wealth of information on Lady Naneatha Lhaurilstar, to be sure. Hope this is of help, Skeptic.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2005 :  02:47:32  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
Only one thing to say, Wow ! Thanks a lot for so much info, I couldn't hope for more :)

One thing for sure, it will be a lot more difficult for my PCs to "get rid of her" without anyone able to link her fate and them.

With this previous answer, I can wait for this next little question, I've read somewhere that there is a Gargauth temple somewhere under Waterdeep, where I should place it ?

Edited by - Skeptic on 27 Mar 2005 03:54:45
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000