Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Dusk
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2005 :  04:54:52  Show Profile  Visit Dusk's Homepage Send Dusk a Private Message
2 things

i have had the fr atlas for some time now and looking at it i always wonder will we ever get to see the other continents of toril

will we ever get any novels from the other areas such as zakhara, kara tur, and maztica(other than the trilogy thats out)

Edited by - Dusk on 27 Mar 2005 04:56:50
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2005 :  05:42:31  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dusk

2 things

i have had the fr atlas for some time now and looking at it i always wonder will we ever get to see the other continents of toril

will we ever get any novels from the other areas such as zakhara, kara tur, and maztica(other than the trilogy thats out)

This has been asked repeatedly on the WOTC boards. Rich Baker has said that WOTC has no plans on expanded to the other continents, however, Dragon will be doing a yearly issue on the old settings that should have updated info.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  00:56:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. The Hooded One here again, with more Realmslore tidbits from the Creator of our sandbox, Ed of the Greenwood himself.

malchor7, Ed tells me he knows of absolutely no Realms fiction plans featuring Castellan Scyllua Darkhope - - but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any, because Books Publishing at WotC doesn’t tell him everything about projects he’s not directly working on.
If he DID know, he adds, he’d probably be able to tell you nothing, thanks to NDAs.

George Krashos, Ed tells me a glowhammer is indeed a magic item, description owned by TSR (and so, now, WotC) but obviously shelved by them long ago. They own it, so Ed will have to find some way to sneak it into an ‘official’ publication, somehow, to get it into the hands of scribes. It’s basically, from what little I recall from play, a war hammer that glows upon command, and can also be released and commanded to ‘stay’ (whereupon it floats in midair, unmoving, until touched by the one who so set it again, or by someone else (like a dwarf elder of the same clan) who knows its secret ‘release’ word. Ed will get to your other Dwarves Deep queries as soon as he can (which is to say, in the fullness of time). So, no, it wasn’t a typo for glowstone. :}

Dargoth, on page 19 of the 2004 Questions for Ed Greenwood thread are Ed’s comments (relayed through me) about this mini-dungeon. As far as I remember, this Archmage isn’t Shraevyn.

And that’s a grab-bag for today. Expect more Realmslore on the morrow.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

David Lázaro
Acolyte

Spain
37 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  00:58:32  Show Profile  Visit David Lázaro's Homepage Send David Lázaro a Private Message
Well met again,

I'm sure that Ed hasn't forgotten about my old (and maybe too general) question about the festivities of Silverymoon. I'd also like to say that some of the answers have been beautiful. The one about the Magefair was awesome if I must pick one.

Meanwhile, I'd like to make a quick one, in the style of the "top ten things that...", but in a different way: I'll ask for two top fives:
  • What would be the top five tips that Ed would give to a DM,
  • and what would be the top five tips he would give to a Realms DM?
I really hope that this question requires less works than the previous one.

Thanks beforehand.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  01:02:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
David, Ed hasn't forgotten your question, although he did mention to me that he'd have to leave some details out due to NDAs, and all the purely faith-based observances out because he doesn't have a year of his life to spare just now.
However, he IS working on it. I'll fire your next one his way pronto. He'll probably answer it first.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  01:41:13  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
I wanted to say that I will be moving soon. So I am trying to get some of my questions out while I have a computer, so I might post a couple. If I do get an answer, it would be helpful if one of the fellow readers of this thread could e-mail the answer to me at corpse_king_2000@yahoo.com. As I might not have internet for a while. But I can pick up my e-mails at the Public Library. (An extra use in addition as a source for FR novels.

Thanks and here are the questions.

1) I know I might be going a little obessive, but here's another Finder question. What locations in Faerun might be the best places to build up the faith of Finder and which areas might be trouble spots for an adventuring cleric of the faith? I can see the Moonsea as a trouble area, and perhaps the Dales and Cormyr having a more nurturing atmosphere. But what areas would have the strong pull.
2)Can you tell us more about the Enclave of Opus in the Gates of the Moon? Or is it in the NDA area? Could at least tell us if the spell that might return the city as part of the plot hook in Lost Empires would alter the Native plane of the Aasimar in the city from the Gates to Toril? Or would they still get banished back to the Celestial plane?
3) I forget the name of the Demon that was created just to serve Lolth, (Yochol?), but has there been an attempt by other dieties (Good, Evil, Chaos, Lawful and Neutral) to mold Outsiders into a Diety linked servant? (Or perhaps even groups of dieties, like the Gods of the Triad molding Archons into a special servator)? <If there was ever a planecentric accessories for FR, that might be an interesting addition>

Well, that's all I have at this time. Thanks alot and I hope you are in good humours. Thanks again.

Foxhelm

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  01:46:38  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
No not a question this time! a Suggestion!

Paul Kemp recently released his Sample chapter for the last WOSQ which provides quite alot of detail for the new Cosmology.

Which got me thinking

While I am still hoping WOTC will eventually do a Manual of the Planes for the FR.....

but if thats not going to happan any time soon how about giving the FR Novel department a shot at detailing the new cosmology through stories

A couple of Ideas

Realms of Planes Anthology: where each author writes a story some how related to the FR Planes either set there or dealing with the gods (An oppertunity to detail Banes come back!) or featuring a Planetouch or Half Celestial/Fiend Hero or Villian

Or

Realms of the Faithful an anthology which features a Cleric of a different deity in each story it could tie in with the Cleric series of Novels..... (After all why should the Cleric novels be restricted to the Evil chicks!)

A short list of stories I wouldnt mind seeing

Banes return (yeah I know there will only be 20 pages but its better than nothing!)

A story set on that Netherese city that floats above Selunes realm

Story of Bane, Bhaal and Mykruls fight with Borem (or any story that features them as mortals)

A Story about the Devils in the Ruins of Myth Drannor

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  03:27:18  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
malchor7, Ed tells me he knows of absolutely no Realms fiction plans featuring Castellan Scyllua Darkhope - - but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any, because Books Publishing at WotC doesn’t tell him everything about projects he’s not directly working on.
If he DID know, he adds, he’d probably be able to tell you nothing, thanks to NDAs.

Should I take this to mean pronounciation's kinda up in the air? Or is there somewhere I can look (game product and/or the multiverse-spanning reaches of Ed's mind) for a specific turn of phrase? :-)

Now that you mention it, I think a novel about Scyllua (or featuring Scyllua) would be quite cool. She's one of my favorite villains.

m
Go to Top of Page

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  03:32:14  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:
Originally posted by malchor7

quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
And don't forget Sylune of the Seven Sisters, could also turn into one.

As could anyone, given a shapechange spell. Ah, the joys of being an archmage. Certain archmages have been known to produce a fair amount of havoc by changing into one dragon, releasing a breath weapon, changing into another on the next round, releasing another breath weapon, etc., etc., particularly if they "share spells" with their familiar (two dragons, two breaths).

Yes but Sylune's was not a shapechange spell it was a specific power she had as a Chosen.

Conceded. :-)

m
Go to Top of Page

Phantom_Lord
Seeker

Pakistan
92 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  07:42:09  Show Profile  Visit Phantom_Lord's Homepage Send Phantom_Lord a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Beowulf

quote:
Originally posted by Phantom_Lord

What I would like to know are the identities of each of these twelve paladins if they have ever been explored, named, or even seen in any novels or games.

And if these have never been named, is it safe for the DM to go ahead and make her own? Thanks.

As far as I know they have never been mentioned outside of the CotD accessory, and even there they were only briefly mentioned.

As for detailing them yourself, far be it from me to speak for Ed, but by all means. That is entirely in keeping with the spirit of the game!!

Thank you!

Ponka! Kaddu!
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  12:28:54  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
Hi Ed,

After re-reading Elminster in Hell recently, i had a quick question i wanted to ask (and i know Ed is quite the authority on the Nine Hells too)...

Clearly there's a Lucfier in Realms cosmology, as you reference him in your novel, but obviously he can't be the Lucifer we all understand from Christian Mythology. So who is the Realms' Lucifer and what happened to him?

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  15:03:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
To malchor7, re:

“Should I take this to mean pronounciation's kinda up in the air?”

Nope. It just means Ed hasn’t gotten to that one yet.
He’s so buried under lore queries from me (you folks), WotC staffers, various freelance designers working for WotC, and librarians (about library stuff, not the Realms), to say nothing of local debates in his village re. sewage treatment (no, I’m not making this up; I wish I was!), that he can’t always look at queries from the same scribe and combine them. Sometimes they just go on the pile, and get done as he comes to them. No longer in chronological order, but more often in ease of answering/finding his lore notes order. Just now, he has family visiting for Easter, and I understand he’s been drawing maps recently. He’ll get to Darkhope, I promise.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  17:27:07  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gerath Hoan

Clearly there's a Lucfier in Realms cosmology, as you reference him in your novel, but obviously he can't be the Lucifer we all understand from Christian Mythology. So who is the Realms' Lucifer and what happened to him?

Luciger in the realms was an archdevil that was given the " final doom" by Asmodeus because he sired an archdevil that he thought to keep hidden from the lord of the ninth(not a very efficient strategy since asmodeus killed him and ate the kid)

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

David Lázaro
Acolyte

Spain
37 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  18:03:26  Show Profile  Visit David Lázaro's Homepage Send David Lázaro a Private Message
quote:
I understand he’s been drawing maps recently.
If someone from the editorial team at WotC is reading this I'd like to make one suggestion: please, don't edit the street names if they are city maps. Printing technology has advanced a lot since the beginning of the published Realms and it would be nice to have them for background and reference.

And thanks for the prompt answer THO, both you and Ed are doing a great work here.
Go to Top of Page

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  19:11:48  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message
quote:

To malchor7, re:

“Should I take this to mean pronounciation's kinda up in the air?”

Nope. It just means Ed hasn’t gotten to that one yet.
He’s so buried under lore queries from me (you folks), WotC staffers, various freelance designers working for WotC, and librarians (about library stuff, not the Realms), to say nothing of local debates in his village re. sewage treatment (no, I’m not making this up; I wish I was!), that he can’t always look at queries from the same scribe and combine them. Sometimes they just go on the pile, and get done as he comes to them. No longer in chronological order, but more often in ease of answering/finding his lore notes order. Just now, he has family visiting for Easter, and I understand he’s been drawing maps recently. He’ll get to Darkhope, I promise.
love,
THO

That was very much what I reasoned, my lady. (bows)

May the width and breadth of the mind of Ed never end.

m

P.S. And Happy Easter to him, too!
Go to Top of Page

The Blind Ranger
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2005 :  03:11:08  Show Profile  Visit The Blind Ranger's Homepage Send The Blind Ranger a Private Message
Ed, I have a question about the "magical road" that extends between Longsaddle and Nesmé (constructed either wholly or in large part by the Harpell family of the former town) -- what exactly does this road look like/are its functions, etc?

Also, Tall Trees, is that section of the High Forest more in the north part of the wood, the east, the west?

Many thanks, and sweet water and light laughter till next you speak,
The Blind Ranger

I see what I need when my sight is not enough.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2005 :  03:52:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed replies to a certain questioner:

Dargoth, in reply to your queries about specific mysterious map locales, let’s look at the list:
Dreamers Rock: Garen Thal has dealt ably with this for you already.
Golden Ruins: NDA
Temple of Chonis: NDA
Tomb of Chonis: NDA
"Unknown Shrine:" NDA
Sorry, but I can’t comment on these at the present time (hint, hint).
Dargoth, I’d be VERY cautious in relating the Witchlords of Cormyr to the WitchKing of Vaasa (which should tell you just how unlikely it is that there’s a connection, right there :}), and there’s NO WAY a Temple of Orcus would be sitting in Cormyr MARKED ON A MAP. (Ruins of a former temple, maybe. Just maybe.)

So saith Ed. Emphatically enough, I might add!
And as for pegging me for Illistyl Elventree: dear, a lady never tells (and neither do wanton sluts like me!)
And neither Ed nor I have the faintest what Illistyl’s “official” WotC 3.5e stats would be. Her ORIGINAL stats described her psionics as a “wild talent,” and Ed and I suppose we might go that route in 3.5e (the Wild Talent feat or its Hidden Talent expanded version) - - but then again, the question is largely meaningless because Ed still runs Psionics with the original rules plus the ‘Mind Wrestling’ internal unpublished TSR notes from 1978 to 1979 or so (akin to the DRAGON article from - - if memory serves me correctly - - issue 25), which in 3.5e terms is an approach to psionics very close to the EXPANDED PSIONICS HANDBOOK “Psionics is Different” Variant (in Ed’s Realms, of course, it’s not a ‘variant’ at all, but the original, unchanged governing psionics rules).
Once again, we see the difference highlighted, between a rules-heavy “crunch” game sold to many, and a roleplaying-heavy campaign played by friends who agree to just let the DM ‘paint the picture’ rather than rules-lawyering. We really do treat the rules as “guidelines.” Ah, well.
More next time, of course.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2005 :  20:05:02  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message
Hi THO! Got a question for Ed - altho any memories you have would be welcomed as well!

OK Ed, got a REASONABLY specific question about town governing for you. The base of operations for my PCs is the town of Nathlekh, North of the Shining Plains. I've got the population pegged at 5,000 adults, and I've decided that 4 noble families rule as an Oligarchy, with one family head being "the First" every 2 years responsible for the town's welfare, and this rotates through the 4 families.

So...I'm trying to discover the most "Realms" way to figure how the city guards, watch, customs, and tax collecting would work. Obviously each noble family has a force of men-at-arms, house wizards and clerics for their own protection - but how do they go about defending the town? I'm presuming the gate guards, the town watch and the tax collectors would answer to the Oligarchy - but how would that evince in the daily life of the town so that the PCs could reasonably figure it out? How would the nobles set up the town judiciary? Who pays, equips and administers the troops and the watch? I've looked through your "Elminster speaks" columns for clues, but most of the areas mentioned are much larger in population.

Is it reasonable to think the 4 houses would only trust ONE house with overall town defense? Tax collection? Day-to-day administration? I could see where fines and labor would be used commonly to handle crimes and ensure a labor pool for "dirty work" around the town ;). I guess if you could give a few realms pointers as to how *you* would set this up - given this specific situation I'd appreciate it!

And thanks always for your help THO!

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2005 :  01:14:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed of the Greenwood hereafter makes reply to Taelohn’s query of “Hm... when someone is named after a deity (such as Torm), does that mean that his divine nakesake (who hears his name whenever it's spoken) would have his attention drawn to this mortal again and again?
(Or in the case of a girl named Seluneshar, mentioned in one of the Elminster novels... the attention of two deities?)”

Yes and no. Or, to put that a little more clearly: yes, a deity hears whenever anyone addresses a namesake mortal by name (and, yes, both Selűne and Shar would hear when the lass named Seluneshar was named), but this babble goes on ALL the time (prayers, remember), for the vast majority of deities, in a ceaseless thunder. They learn to tune it out, or quickly go mad (Cyric, anyone?). So they’re aware of all these “callings” in the background, and will notice peaks, breaks, and changes in the frequency, tone, and amount of mortal utterances of their name - - but will only ‘zero in’ on a particular voice when they want to.
If, say, Torm the god took an interest in Torm the smart-mouthed Knight of Myth Drannor (as entertainment, perhaps), Torm the god could ‘set his feelers’ to ‘listen properly’ to utterances of his name addressed to this mortal (or to any particular mortal not directly protected by another deity; that is, not including clergy or champions of another god, but very much including his own priests), and pay heed to those conversations only, using his other powers to “listen in” on lengthy conversations once he’s detected them.
Most deities ignore mortal callings unless or until they’re bored, upset, interested in learning something or regard a situation as a crisis that MUST be responded to. If someone named for them blasphemes them often, they might just send a manifestation of their power to chastise, make a public example of, or destroy the mocking mortal. Most mature deities don’t bother, but merely make note of such mortals with an eye to ‘using’ them for a greater or more useful purpose in time to come.

So saith Ed. Who is a god himself, of course. The God of Bearded Overweight Sex, at the moment, I believe . . . ahem. If I fall silent, you’ll know he heard me.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Taelohn
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2005 :  02:45:48  Show Profile  Visit Taelohn's Homepage Send Taelohn a Private Message
I'm sure he can send one of his many avatars to respond accordingly. Maybe more than one.

(Thanks again, Mr. Greenwood!)
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2005 :  15:00:59  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

No not a question this time! a Suggestion!

Paul Kemp recently released his Sample chapter for the last WOSQ which provides quite alot of detail for the new Cosmology.

Which got me thinking

While I am still hoping WOTC will eventually do a Manual of the Planes for the FR.....

but if thats not going to happan any time soon how about giving the FR Novel department a shot at detailing the new cosmology through stories

A couple of Ideas

Realms of Planes Anthology: where each author writes a story some how related to the FR Planes either set there or dealing with the gods (An oppertunity to detail Banes come back!) or featuring a Planetouch or Half Celestial/Fiend Hero or Villian

Or

Realms of the Faithful an anthology which features a Cleric of a different deity in each story it could tie in with the Cleric series of Novels..... (After all why should the Cleric novels be restricted to the Evil chicks!)

A short list of stories I wouldnt mind seeing

Banes return (yeah I know there will only be 20 pages but its better than nothing!)

A story set on that Netherese city that floats above Selunes realm

Story of Bane, Bhaal and Mykruls fight with Borem (or any story that features them as mortals)

A Story about the Devils in the Ruins of Myth Drannor

I second this!
ps. Who the heck is orcus? All I know is that he`s some kind of demon.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2005 :  19:04:11  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by khorneWho the heck is orcus? All I know is that he`s some kind of demon.

Assuming we're talking about the same Orcus, he's the Demon Prince of the Undead, near demigod in status -- bitter enemy of Kiaranslee, who killed him and took his realm (Thanatos, I believe?) until Orcus was animated (not revived, per se) as an undead demon prince and drove her out.

(Aside: And wouldn't it suck if HE became a deity and then heard his name everytime someone pronounced "orc"?)

Thank you, by the way, for your service on this thread, Milady THO -- it is invaluable.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Taelohn
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2005 :  19:38:21  Show Profile  Visit Taelohn's Homepage Send Taelohn a Private Message
They'd likely have to pronounce the whole word (and his sensory powers might not function beyond the Abyss, unless he were summoned to the Prime). At any rate, in many versions of the game, Orcus (like many of the demon princes) actually was a god (or at least as powerful as one).

And then there was Asmodeus... as powerful as a greater deity, yet merely an avatar (one of up to 10) of something more - lying wounded beneath Nessus, its fall created Hell and its blood created the first devils. If it ever consumed enough souls to heal itself, such a being would be of overpower status.

... then in 3E they retconned all the archfiends to be weak enough for a party of level 20/low-epic mortals to take them down. So much so that, based on the official WotC stats, Kurtulmak the kobold god could single-handedly destroy Asmodeus, plus all the Lords of the Nine, plus every pit fiend they could bring to bear against him... by himself.

To say nothing of what Mystra could do... which was why I was quite pleased by how she was portrayed in Elminster in Hell (mind-blowingly powerful, yet not completely invincible), and how Asmodeus was given his credit (he heard his name when it was spoken on Avernus, it was shown that he could kill people on Avernus without needing to leave Nessus, and even Mystra only managed to daze him).
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2005 :  20:08:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
[b(Aside: And wouldn't it suck if HE became a deity and then heard his name everytime someone pronounced "orc"?)

ThCheers

Actually he was a deity, at least in FR, up to Faiths & Pantheons for 3e. Then the Player's Guide retconned his deity status back to a demon prince. :)

To the poster who asked about Orcus, see the Book of Vile Darkness, The Great Modron March and Dead Gods for Planescape. Also the Bloodstone material from 1e.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 30 Mar 2005 20:09:29
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2005 :  20:58:31  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
OMG, OMG, OMG

Best news I have heard this year

Can't wait to see the results

PLease lets see a decent update for Eveningstar

cheers

Damian

[quote]Originally posted by The Hooded One
[
Dargoth, in reply to your queries about specific mysterious map Golden Ruins: NDA
Temple of Chonis: NDA
Tomb of Chonis: NDA
"Unknown Shrine:" NDA
Sorry, but I can’t comment on these at the present time (hint, hint).

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2005 :  00:51:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, fellow scribes. This time, Ed makes reply to Haman:

You’re quite welcome re. the MageFairs info; ’twas a pleasure to write. Now, as for the “Niedre” gold elf family: never heard of them. However, I know a little about the Nierdre gold elf family. :}
Here we go . . .

House Nierdre differed from most sun elves of Myth Drannor in eagerly embracing the ‘dream’ of all demi-human races dwelling together in harmony; in particular, they enjoyed the company of dwarves, and made firm friendships with many Stout Folk.
In the final fighting of Myth Drannor’s fall, a dwarf named Thardrun Emmerstone saved the lives of the last two Nierdre elves (after almost two dozen had died in combat), and rushed them through a gate (3e “portal”) to Evermeet.
All three were sorely wounded, in body and in mind; they remained obsessed with returning to Myth Drannor and driving forth its attackers. Yet Rhaeldilar Nierdre took a wife in Evermeet, and his sister Aluvae Nierdre, powerful in Art, used her magic to work with Thardrun to build a black stone mansion for the Nierdres in Leuthilspar. (They spell-shaped basalt into a smooth, continuous, durable [can expand and contract as a whole, rather than cracking at impact and under temperature changes] shiny jet-black mass - - rather than the notoriously-fracture-prone natural state of basalt. How they did this is - - or was - - known only to Rhaeldilar, Aluvae, and Thardrun.)
Rhaeldilar and his wife Lhaurilel (born to the small, little-known Alanthaelar sun elf family) had a dozen children, nine of them sons, and effectively refounded the family. Their eldest son, Mlarlel, perished in 994 DR (falling from a wild pegasus he was trying to tame into the sea - - via some jagged ‘wash rocks’ that shattered him) but the others remain alive today, and have all married and had children of their own. (Obviously, your player’s character is one of these Nierdres).
Rhaeldilar, Aluvae, and Thardrun longed to return to Myth Drannor, despite what was known in Evermeet of the dark disaster that had befallen there, and in 1312 DR finally departed Evermeet, intending to cleanse the ruined city and live out their lives there, working with Alok Silverspear, Luvon Greencloak, and others to refound the City of Song.
Nothing is known of their fate, for Faerűn has known no sign of them since they ‘raised the gate’ that had first brought them to the Everlasting Isle and stepped back through it (its Myth Drannan terminus was thought to be a garden glade near the southwestern edge of Myth Drannor).
Today, most of the Nierdres are as haughty as most sun elves towards non-elves, though they get along well enough with moon elves and elves not of Evermeet. The head of the house, in Leuthilspar, is Lord Maiele Nierdre (LG male sun elf Wiz13), but he’s a rather shy, diffident sort more interested in flight and “worlds beyond the stars” and “far, unspoilt corners of this world” than in the daily politics and intrigues of mainland Faerűn or the Fair Folk in general (he believes that the more elves of Evermeet become involved on the mainland, the more they are “dragged down” by contact with non-elves into losing “all that is bright and high” about being elven - - and that it’s wisest to keep to “the old ways,” [even fellow Nierdres have noticed that these “old ways” seem to shift to whatever Maiele wants them to be at any given moment] and isolation in the green fastnesses, and refrain from dwelling or trading in contact with other races, humans in particular). However, Maiele is well-meaning, polite even to non-elves (a coldly correct courtesy to them), and a retiring rather than a forceful personality.
The most famous Nierdre is probably Jhalavarr Nierdre, a widely-travelled adventurer (CG male sun elf Ftr14) who spends all of his time on mainland Faerűn these days, and his younger brother Fierdel (CG male sun elf Ftr10), who trades betimes with the elves of Suldanessellar in the Wealdath, whereas most of the other Nierdres stay on Evermeet, venturing elsewhere only to Evereska and back, via portal, for brief social visits.
One recent and notable exception is Rildarra Nierdre, a young and hedonistic (CG female sun elf Ftr7/Wiz7/EldKgt1) ‘free spirit’ of raven-dark tresses, lush good looks, and eyes of deep emerald green ringed with gold who’s fascinated with human society and ways, and has taken to exploring Waterdeep and other coastal cities, delving into all manner of intrigues and clubs and societies, both secret and otherwise.
There are signs that Rildarra’s travels have stirred a restlessness in Nierdre kin of her age; several have spoken (even to Lord Maiele’s face) of “seeing wider Faerűn.” (Your player’s character could well be one of these.)
In Evermeet, the Nierdres are regarded as but a shadow of their forebearers, in both influence and wealth - - but are respected as that strangest of combinations: pragmatic (in daily in-touch-with-up-to-date events, ways, and lore) conservatives. Some honour them for wanting to cling to old ways, some respect them for their demonstrated ability to so swiftly rebuild the family wealth from nothing to more-than-nothing, some mistrust them for this same achievement (what are they REALLY up to? can they be trusted?), and some sneer at them as deluded or self-serving for promoting old ways and themselves being so modern-worldly-wise.
The truth about their trade is that the three ‘immediately younger’ brothers of Maiele are tireless wheeling-dealing traders on the mainland (commuting by means of secret portals) in scents, spices, and (legal) drugs. They keep prices low, though they’re not above “arranging” temporary local shortages to make some prices merely SEEM low, and are making the Nierdres a great deal of money and having fun doing it. All three are swift-witted, urbane, and handsome: Telaerd (CN male elf Rog11/Ftr4); Dyarren (CN male elf Rog9/Ftr3); and Zouciphur (CN male elf Rog7/Sor4). They often use assumed names while on the mainland.

So saith Ed. Hmm, instant family; into my lorebooks it goes.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 01 Apr 2005 15:48:09
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2005 :  03:06:48  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:

One recent and notable exception is Rildarra Nierdre, a young and hedonistic (CG female sun elf Ftr7/Wiz7/EldKgt1) ...

EldKgt? Wuzzat?

- RJ
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2005 :  03:10:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RevJest

quote:

One recent and notable exception is Rildarra Nierdre, a young and hedonistic (CG female sun elf Ftr7/Wiz7/EldKgt1) ...

EldKgt? Wuzzat?

- RJ

Eldritch Knight, I'm thinking. 'Tis a Prestige Class.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 Mar 2005 03:11:37
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2005 :  11:37:25  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message
Any word on what Ed has planned for his RoE story and if he knows any other authors writing besides the ones known already? (Paul Kemp, Elaine Cunningham, Eric Scott de Bie, Rich Baker (?) )
Go to Top of Page

Finglas Leaflock
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2005 :  17:32:32  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message
Wow, great info on the Nierdre clan! Thanks to both Ed and The Hooded One for all this lore.

My question is about another elven noble house, the moon elven clan Ammath. I have a character who's a member of that family, and kind of just made up some of their history between the fall of Myth Drannor and 1372, which is when our campaign starts. But I've been wondering whether any of them really survived the fall, and where they ended up if they did make it out of there. Whenever you get to this, I'd love to learn the "real story." Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000