Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Cale or Entreri?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  19:07:13  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artemis. He has his dagger and Kharon's Claw. To win Artemis must be master, like Drizzt, and it was hard one battle to him too. I think Artemis would win the duel
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  21:16:37  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cale's smarts and luck would hold up against Entreri's superior swordsmanship for awhile. During their fight, Riven would show up to try and kill Cale. Riven would end up getting into it with Artemis, and Cale would escape while they fought, then finish off the weakened survivor.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  11:27:15  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artemis would win without doubt. He masters so many skills with his blade and are in general a master swordsman. Artemis would whoop him into oblivion.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  15:57:50  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's never mind Cale's a Shade and a Chosen and a master warrior with a magic sword of his own.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  01:58:46  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cale has divine spells to back up his swordsmanship. This is one advantage that I don't think Artemis can overcome.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  02:23:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cale's bald and therefore has more testosterone. That'll definitely give him the edge.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  03:48:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Cale's bald and therefore has more testosterone. That'll definitely give him the edge.

-- George Krashos

Seriously, folks, that's as good an answer as any on this thread. Almost all X vs. Y debates generally come down to opinion, especially where popular characters are concerned. Most people will decide that the character they prefer is the one that would win, and won't budge from that standpoint. That's a lot of the reason I don't participate in many threads like this: it's not as much a debate (about something that will never happen, mind you!) as it is a popularity contest.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  04:36:49  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Haha... are you sure he's not just losing hair from all the stress of handling the Urskeven family?

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

RRELIN
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  15:09:52  Show Profile  Visit RRELIN's Homepage Send RRELIN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would bet on Artemis.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  15:58:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thread necromancy!

I still don't have any real opinion on who would win... But we know who the most popular is, and that's what these polls always come down to.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  17:12:31  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, well, I suppose it'd all come down to WHICH Erevis we're talking about. Night Mask Erevis, Artemis no contest. Chosen of Mask, I'm going with Erevis. End of Shadowrealm Erevis? Cale all the way.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Thielan
Acolyte

Australia
25 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2009 :  22:17:33  Show Profile  Visit Thielan's Homepage Send Thielan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to be going for Cale here, shadowstepping followed by a sword through the back is quite effective. I'd have one question though, does Cale's shade magic resistance help prevent any of the effects from a touch from Charon's Claw or the vampiric dagger?
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  00:53:02  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We still don't know the full effects of Entreri's pseudo Shade-ism do we?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  02:40:02  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's with this referring to characters by their family names?
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  03:03:50  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's more likely we're just referring to the names those characters most often use (or are called) in the novels, Faraer.

Edited by - Arion Elenim on 16 Mar 2009 03:14:00
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  05:01:57  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In which case, what's up with it there? Calling people by surnames (whether 'naked' surnames or with titles) gives a sense of cool professional distance that may be appropriate to these characters. But it's not normal in the Realms.

Just observing and meandering here.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  05:07:08  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you just answered your own question. Both Riven and Cale go by their last names except with those people closest to them. And I can't recall that anyone calls Entreri by his first name.

Professionals indeed.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  05:31:55  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I never thought much about it, I suppose the enthusiasm for this emotionally distanced 'cool' is mainly what I find distasteful about some of the fandom for these characters.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  06:37:14  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Although I never thought much about it, I suppose the enthusiasm for this emotionally distanced 'cool' is mainly what I find distasteful about some of the fandom for these characters.

Distasteful? So sorry to disappoint. We will try ever so much harder in the future.

Go to Top of Page

darkvarg
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  17:50:57  Show Profile  Visit darkvarg's Homepage Send darkvarg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the better question is who would win between Entreri and Riven (Before Riven became a demi-god) . Riven was always a more superior bladesman than Cale, Cale admitted as much in "The Halls of Stormweather" Cale just gained more divine power thus he became more powerful. Although i think a battle between Entreri and Riven would be epic i think Entreri would find a way to take advantage of
Riven's missing eye and eventually win.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  22:35:59  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel like Riven is just so much more careful than Entreri. He wouldn't get caught up in a battle with someone just to see who was better.

Course, I REALLY hope that Entreri's new-found pseudo-Shade-ism will allow him to have survived the Spellplague...I hope we get to see him in 5th ed...

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2009 :  13:22:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darkvarg

I think the better question is who would win between Entreri and Riven (Before Riven became a demi-god) .

Eh, are you sure? Especially since "X vs. Y" topics are discouraged here...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 17 Mar 2009 13:23:55
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2009 :  02:40:50  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

We still don't know the full effects of Entreri's pseudo Shade-ism do we?

not yet.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2009 :  08:29:04  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cales stats pre shade were pretty feeble compared to entreris fighting wise.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2009 :  22:53:31  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artemis gets my vote.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  04:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. But when does the battle taking place? When both are in their prime? Artemis would prob win hands down. And lets not forget that even though Cale has Riven as an ally that Entreri has Bragen D'earthe and Jarlaxle to.

But if the battle takes place after The Road of the Patriarch, then all bets are off because it seemed to me that Entreri may have lost a little bit of his will to fight plus is losing an edge or 2 as he's getting older.
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  11:25:37  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forgetthat Artemis used his dagger on a Shade, thus prolonging his life.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  13:53:15  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally! Proof that Drizzt is more über than both, so he's ultra-über...

Drizzt's Magic Card

(sometimes, April is fun)

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  15:59:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

Don't forgetthat Artemis used his dagger on a Shade, thus prolonging his life.

Do we know for a fact what the exact effects of absorbing the "shadowstuff" are? I don't recall that they were ever actually stated.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  19:45:28  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Do we know for a fact what the exact effects of absorbing the "shadowstuff" are? I don't recall that they were ever actually stated.

All we've been told directly is that his skin has started turning an ashy gray and that his Netherese sword now digs him.

We haven't been reminded of how old and slow he supposedly is in several books; if anything, he seems to be fighting as well as ever. So it's possible the aging process has been slowed.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000