Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Novel Price Increase?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  00:54:15  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Was just checking out my wish list on Amazon and noticed all the unreleased Realms books I have on my list went up by $1. Not a big deal, but like many, we budget our $ down to the last dollar, so any increase in the "recreation" budget is not happening

Looks like a new price point from now on I guess. Maybe it is industry wide with new paperbacks, but this is a horrible time for any product to raise prices 14%.

Guess I will have to be more stringent before buying a book.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 08 Feb 2009 00:54:36

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  02:09:20  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ya, I noticed that too. When I was getting used books for my out of print Realms books, it cool to see the cover price being at $4.99. Those were the days!

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  02:29:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, when I started buying novels from TSR, they were all $3.95.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  02:55:46  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote

They were always $6.99 for me. (Except Evermeet, which was $7.99.)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  03:31:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I remember that... especially when I was [foolishly] purchasing them direct from the US weeks before their release here. Of course, I was also paying over $10.00 for postage & handling, so...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  12:51:27  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strange time to increase prices, especially since every news story I read is about how governments are taking action to prevent deflation.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  13:46:31  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, then the price increase is surely WotC's attempt at helping with the anti-deflation policy

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  15:58:47  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Well, then the price increase is surely WotC's attempt at helping with the anti-deflation policy

Or Amazon's?

In any case, it's jolly decent of them because I hate buying things that were more expensive a year ago.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2009 :  16:43:07  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's probably not Amazon's doing. It's probably the cover price. I buy my new releases (paperback ones) at Barnes and Nobles cause I have to have it now and I noticed that the books that should of been $6.99 are now $7.99. Except for Greenwood's work. His was always $7.99 and it's probably $8.99 now

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Corrupteddragon
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  17:32:46  Show Profile  Visit Corrupteddragon's Homepage Send Corrupteddragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost all PB's from all publishers have increased to 7.99. Actually there were alot at 7.99 before the WoTC books went up. Mainly its from the price of paper going up.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  18:21:41  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Paizo's .PDF file downloads have also increased by a dollar sometime recently.

-The price of basic things, like oil, paper, food, whatever, goes up, and everything follows.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  19:08:31  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem is that even when inflation goes down, the prices of a lot of things remain where they are. Gas, groceries, things like that will go back down, but rarely will books go back down in price.
Go to Top of Page

hawkytom
Seeker

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2009 :  08:10:10  Show Profile Send hawkytom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

The problem is that even when inflation goes down, the prices of a lot of things remain where they are. Gas, groceries, things like that will go back down, but rarely will books go back down in price.

Bingo!

Any Lone Wolf fans? Old school gamebooks from the 80's? They are being re-released/updated, and new books 29-32 being written: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/novels/lonewolfsolo.html

Forgotten Realms BOOKS owned: ALL of them! (ebooks?...NONE! ever)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2009 :  16:09:10  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I figured you first novel cost about 6 bits old hamster

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Sermon Bath
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  19:02:38  Show Profile  Visit Sermon Bath's Homepage Send Sermon Bath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the first saturday of every month Goodwill sells everything for half
price. That means all paperback books are 65 cents each. I go and
buy every fantasy book they have that is in good condition. (I usually
find around 10) I then take these to my local used book store and trade them in for store credit. She usually gives me around from 1.50
to 2.00 bucks for each book. I then used the store credit to get whatever I want for free. I wind up getting about 7 or eight books
that I want for my investment of around six or seven dollars. Its a
darn cool system

"I am, therefore I eat"
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2009 :  19:51:46  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

They were always $6.99 for me. (Except Evermeet, which was $7.99.)
This was my experience as well when I started buying novels (opposed to borrowing them from the library, where I then had to give them back).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000