Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Advice for reading post-Spellplague novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  18:10:37  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am looking for some advice on what post Spell plague novel is better to start with as far as time line and lore.
Any suggestions?

Mod edit: Changed the name to better reflect the subject, and to make it easier for others to find the same advice.

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

"He's like a trained ape...without the training"
Simon after Jane trashed the Med lab

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Jul 2009 18:28:43

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  20:14:47  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've found reading them as they're released works just fine from a time line point of view. As for lore, I guess it depends on what you're looking for. The "lore heaviest" may have been Blackstaff Tower, but there are others that are in the running, especially if you're more interested in different geographical areas.

Cheers,

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  20:45:06  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you. Do you know where I can find a chronological release list? Or even better a listing of books in DR calender order

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  21:15:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always refer people to O Love's Novels Timeline.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  21:21:51  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great link Wooly...Just what I was looking for

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  14:10:49  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fellow Candlekeep member Fillow is also managing this list of all Spellplague-related works, including sourcebooks, magazine articles, etc.:

<"Post-Spellplague bibliography">

I can say that the Spellplague-related Prologue and Epilogue of Salvatore's The Orc King are fairly vague and generic when it comes to the Plague. They appear to take place around 1472 DR and feature Drizzt reminiscing about odds-and-end things that have taken place over the last century in a pretty sweeping overview style. Look elsewhere if you actually want the details.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  17:33:15  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well thanks to the great advice from all the scribes, I chose to start with the Ed Greendwood presents Waterdeep series. The 4 books that are out now are all very well written and what better place to start reading about the "new" realms than the City of Splendors.

Blackstaff Tower= Great story line, good lore for building a post spell plague campaign, and some great characters for future writing.

Mistshore = Most unique setting I have had the pleasure of reading about. Excellent depiction of effects of the spell plague and how various individuals feel and deal with the scars.

Downshadow = Very creative characters and interactions. Detailed depiction of of the advancement of a spell scared illness and the dread that accompanies it. LOTS (and by this I means more than I could count) tie ins to pre-spell plague stories and lore on what happened. Very respectful tribute to all the previous writings on the Realms.

City of the Dead = Awesome characters, engaging story line from a very skilled writer(artist actually). New insight to the graveyard of Waterdeep and its history. Wonderfully told.

This is a fantastic series of books and my hat is off to all the writers.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  13:05:49  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Teneck

Downshadow = Very creative characters and interactions.

Thats why Erik Scott de Bie is great. If you haven't already, check out Depths of Madness. It has just that cool characters and great interactions. Very cool book IMHO

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.

Edited by - MerrikCale on 04 Aug 2009 13:06:31
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  15:33:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

Downshadow = Very creative characters and interactions.

Thats why Erik Scott de Bie is great. If you haven't already, check out Depths of Madness. It has just that cool characters and great interactions. Very cool book IMHO

Aw shucks, guys.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  15:38:10  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can't seem to convince my stores here to carry it....hmmm...maybe I will just order one straight from Erik...that way I can get it signed too

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  02:01:27  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I can't seem to convince my stores here to carry it....hmmm...maybe I will just order one straight from Erik...that way I can get it signed too

amazon is a beautiful thing. so is Fox-in-Twilight

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  07:02:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Drop me a line sometime!

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

amazon is a beautiful thing. so is Fox-in-Twilight

You'll have to take my word for it, but she's giving you that sly "say-on-good-sir-if-you-dare" wink.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000