Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Lost Empires of Faerun contents page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  04:38:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Not my fave type, I much prefer poster/pull out. However, I'll take the above over no map whatsoever.

Gracias Dargoth for passing along the word.

Ditto that. The pull-out maps are the best. Those are worth much more to me than the ones printed in the book -- for one thing, I can examine the area while reading about it, without having to flip back and forth!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  15:16:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Ditto that. The pull-out maps are the best. Those are worth much more to me than the ones printed in the book -- for one thing, I can examine the area while reading about it, without having to flip back and forth!

Precisely. But, I have no idea of the production cost of that version versus the in-book map.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  22:52:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Precisely. But, I have no idea of the production cost of that version versus the in-book map.

It is undoubtedly more, but I'd happily pay an extra buck or two for the pull-out map.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2004 :  01:41:14  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It is undoubtedly more, but I'd happily pay an extra buck or two for the pull-out map.

That makes two of us. But, for all I know we are the minority. Plus, it's not like WOTC is asking even in the surveys that I've seen this subject has not come up.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2004 :  02:07:39  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It does not cost a buck or two to provide a pull out of book map.

There are many ways to achieve such a thing without a lot of extra cost, some of which costs no more in production cost.

1) Print map with cut here line, other side of page holding another map or al least notes concerning the map. (No additional cost, though customer might damage other parts pf book by not cutting carefuly)

2) Soft cover books one can provide a centerfold detachable (for small map two sheets cost tends to be extra stables and extra book assemble, this of course can include larger maps folded in, however the cost of their production is an added cost)

3) Hard or soft cover, maps could be perferated for easy removal. (added cost perferation of the sheets before book assembled, also has risk owner ma[ removal error , however less then the cut here.)

4) Any, provide map as not part of the book itself, provide as a package ( No additional print cost, however packaging cost, map needs to ne placed inside book or outside and packaged [shrink wrap most common these days] that can handle any map, if large map there is of that added cost.)

There might be other options as well, however non of these require a much higher production cost. Things like color, larger maps certainly add to cost factors but I do not believe any (short of royalities) should cost over 50 USA cents per unit (and that wouldbe both color and a large map).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2004 :  13:33:57  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd take a separate map as a pdf web enhancement.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2004 :  13:50:33  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that would be nice for those that have computer and internet access.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2004 :  18:07:59  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like a keeper...broke down some of the numbers comparing what I think is crunch vs flavor....Chapter 1 has what I think is 27 pages of crunch (total number of feats,prcl, an ancient spells) for example, while Chapter 6 has 16 pages of flavor. I do not know what to make of Chapter 11 it is either 32 pages of crunch or flavor....
I think I will wait for a review of it after it comes out before shelling out $30+ on it.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2004 :  00:42:53  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Sunmaster Prc is likely a PrC for Clerics of Amaunator (a Netherese god)in Faithes and Avatars Amaunators Speciality priests where called Sunlords/Sunladies

The Magelord Prc is from the nation where Elminster was born

An as we know Glorious Servitor is from Mulhorand

Which leaves us with

Olin Gisir and Cultist of the
Shattered Peak neither of which Ive heard of (Although I have vague recolections of a Shattered Peak some where)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2005 :  13:31:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm noticed that LEOF introduces a new type of magic item

The Sceptre

Is a sceptre a weapon or a spell charged item like a wand?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2005 :  23:10:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Hmmm noticed that LEOF introduces a new type of magic item

The Sceptre

Is a sceptre a weapon or a spell charged item like a wand?

Recalling the Netherese blast scepter, I'd say it's something more like a magical rod, rather than a weapon. (BTW, I still loathe the new delineation betwixt rods and wands and such )

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  01:09:53  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hmm I wonder if they will change the Dreadmasters "Rod Craft" ability to "Sceptre Craft"

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  01:23:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Hmm I wonder if they will change the Dreadmasters "Rod Craft" ability to "Sceptre Craft"

That, or make the two abilities interchangable...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2005 :  07:13:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(BTW, I still loathe the new delineation betwixt rods and wands and such )

As do I. I've never heard a convincing enough argument for why this is so. I've altered the rules concerning that exact delineation a few times in some campaigns, but many players do not like that at all... .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2005 :  11:22:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

(BTW, I still loathe the new delineation betwixt rods and wands and such )

As do I. I've never heard a convincing enough argument for why this is so. I've altered the rules concerning that exact delineation a few times in some campaigns, but many players do not like that at all... .

I suppose they did it for simplification... Still, I don't see why 2 similar spells can't be stuck in a wand, as with the 2E wand of lightning.

Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  22:02:18  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like they opted to not take in the Brown Dragon nor the Skriaxit in the monster section. They have been covered before all though it would have been interesting to see some more info on the Skriaxit. I find them really interesting.

I wonder if the Glorious servitors has anything to do/ a close likeness with the Devine Minions.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

edbonny
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  17:15:53  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hymn

Looks like they opted to not take in the Brown Dragon nor the Skriaxit in the monster section. They have been covered before all though it would have been interesting to see some more info on the Skriaxit. I find them really interesting.

I wonder if the Glorious servitors has anything to do/ a close likeness with the Devine Minions.

Hey All!

While the brown dragon was not updated for LEOF, one was written in (by yours truly) as an NPC in Chapter 4's adventure, Sonjar's Tower.

And Hymn is quite correct in linking Glorious Servitors with Divine Minions.

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  19:48:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edbonny
Hey All!

While the brown dragon was not updated for LEOF, one was written in (by yours truly) as an NPC in Chapter 4's adventure, Sonjar's Tower.

- Ed

Ed,

Welcome to Candlekeep and thanks for the information. Do you know there is a writer out there for Realms' products with the exact same name as your nick? What a funny coincidence.

SB
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  19:58:06  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[Ed,

Welcome to Candlekeep and thanks for the information. Do you know there is a writer out there for Realms' products with the exact same name as your nick? What a funny coincidence.

SB

There are no coincidences where the Realms are concerned. Of that I am certain.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  20:08:32  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Hey All!

- Ed

Ed,

SB

Perhaps Mr. Bonny should be given a custom title. The indication is that he has worked at least for TSR, not sure of current status.

Might be an imp as well, but that could be my suspisious nature.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2005 :  04:18:40  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
There are no coincidences where the Realms are concerned. Of that I am certain.

Oh, I agree on that. Please if you can stick around. I have a feeling in about a month, some scribes will have a few questions for you.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2005 :  04:48:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, you are very much welcome here, Ed!

I think Alaundo should add a "Questions for Ed Bonny" sticky in this RPG forum for the impending avalanche of questions next month. After all, what would Candlekeep be if we didn't properly greet our esteemed FR authors and designers before we start grill- ... errr ... questioning them.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2005 :  06:52:02  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I think Alaundo should add a "Questions for Ed Bonny" sticky in this RPG forum for the impending avalanche of questions next month. After all, what would Candlekeep be if we didn't properly greet our esteemed FR authors and designers before we start grill- ... errr ... questioning them.

-- George Krashos

Careful Krash, remember what goes around comes around
Alaundo, could put in a "Ask George Krashos" thread.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document

Edited by - warlockco on 19 Jan 2005 06:53:05
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2005 :  08:35:25  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::chuckle::

Aye, well met, edbonny, and welcome to Candlekeep.

I certainly feel that a thread for thyself is in order, which i'll get set up soon.

Oh i've oft wondered about a scroll for George, in fact I did approach him previously on the matter... don't think thou art safe, George

In the meantime, please direct any general questions on this scroll.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 19 Jan 2005 08:37:11
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2005 :  09:28:56  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dont forget the ask Eric thread!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

oldskool
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2005 :  10:40:54  Show Profile  Visit oldskool's Homepage Send oldskool a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang. Although, yes, indeedy, that book looks SUPER sweeet with all the ancient history stuff in it... (yummy Narfell, yummy Netheril, yummy yummy High Forest secrets) as many of you can probably guess, I was hoping for at least a tid or bit of more info on.... *drumroll* the Creator Races...

Maybe a "Really Lost Empires of Faerun" book in the future? heh

I believe this constant Creator Race information drought is making me a bit daft and obsessive on the topic.

oldskool

DM: "You see a gazebo ahead of you."
Player: "What is it doing? I draw my weapon and charge!"
DM: "It's not doing anything. It's a gazebo."
Player: "Oh.. um. Then I'll cast a fireball at it!"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2005 :  11:20:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldskool

I believe this constant Creator Race information drought is making me a bit daft and obsessive on the topic.

That just means you'll fit in better.

Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2005 :  13:49:27  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Thank you very much everyone for the hearty welcome and hello George! As you all may know or have guessed, George was instrumental in keeping all the facts straight, pointing out inconsistencies, and all that other good Realmsian stuff when I was writing LEOF.

I would be honored to have a sticky thread. LOEF was a huge undertaking and there was just so much Realmslore out there that you all can get a behind the scenes as the who, when, what, where and why of the half of the book I wrote.

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2005 :  14:14:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would be honored to have a sticky thread. LOEF was a huge undertaking and there was just so much Realmslore out there that you all can get a behind the scenes as the who, when, what, where and why of the half of the book I wrote.

If that isn't enough incentive to create a personal scroll for Mr Bonny... then I don't know what is... .

Greetings to you, Mr Bonny . We are honoured by your presence here at Candlekeep.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

oldskool
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  01:07:13  Show Profile  Visit oldskool's Homepage Send oldskool a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by oldskool

That just means you'll fit in better.

I never said it before, but I just have to complement you on your choice of usernames, Wooly Rupert.

heheheheh. I really enjoyed the Space Hamster entry in the MC Appendix: Spelljammer, if only as a source of laughter rather than serious game stats.

Wooly Rupert (the Spelljammer one, not you) always sort of reminded me of Spiny Norman from that old Monty Python episode...

"Dimmesdale!"

"Dimmesdale!"

*giggles noisily to himself*

oldskool

DM: "You see a gazebo ahead of you."
Player: "What is it doing? I draw my weapon and charge!"
DM: "It's not doing anything. It's a gazebo."
Player: "Oh.. um. Then I'll cast a fireball at it!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll