Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Standing The Test of Time & Best of the Rest
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dahran
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  09:20:49  Show Profile  Visit Dahran's Homepage Send Dahran a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My dear lords and ladies, since I started hording Forgotten Realms material awhile ago, I beg your pardon....I meant collecting I have been steadily wondering one constant thing. What material is the best, a true classic not only now, but since it's conception. This is not easy to ponder has I am not a true scholar of lore about Faerun and Forgotten Realms. With the campaign settings, expansions, sourcebooks, guides, and adventure modules there are countless to choose from. Especially when you compare everything that was published by TSR for the Forgotten Realms. Especially against the other popular mainstays like Greyhawk and Dragonlance. I know most of you know this and it is a true testament to why Forgotten Realms is the corner stone of D&D and why it is well loved. I ask those who have adventured and explored the lands of Faerun what are your favorites and stands head and shoulders above the other material in general?

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  11:22:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Favourites? Well, they include:

FR11 Dwarves Deep
FA1 Halls of the High King
FOR4 Code of the Harpers
Secrets of the Magister
Faiths & Avatars
Volo's Guide to ... Everything
Empires of the Shining Sea
Prayers From the Faithful
Sea of Fallen Stars

And for selfish, personal reasons:

Lost Empires of Faerun

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  11:25:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Volo's Guides are the best sources of regional lore.

The three 2nd edition deity books (Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities) are the best sources of lore about the deities.

Cloak & Dagger and Lords of Darkness are the best resources on power groups.

Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog -- no adventurer should go anywhere without perusing this catalog first!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  16:22:22  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Ruins of Undermountain
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  18:25:59  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For Dungeon Masters -

1. 1st Edition Dungeon Master's Guide - Excellent source of random generation charts (my personal favorite being the Random Harlot Encounter Table), as well as the Random Dungeon Generator.

2. Ruins of Undermountain Boxed Set - The maps are the most intricate I've ever seen. Highly useful for a quick dungeon-delve.

3. Volo's Guides - While knowing who's in charge of a city is useful, most PCs spend the bulk of their time talking to barkeeps. It's nice to know who these are, and how they act.

4. The entire FR series of accessories - A good mixture of who's who and other sundries that fill in a great background. For example - Gold & Glory gives some great mercenary bands.

5. Elminster's Ecologies Boxed Set - Good to know how the natural works in conjunction with the unnatural.

6. 1st Edition Dungeon Geomorphs - Another useful tool for quick dungeons.

7. Lands of Intrigue Boxed Set - A great place for a new DM to start a campaign. Everything you need in the way of locales and plots.

For Players -

1. The FOR series - Scads of cool, new spells and items

2. Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue - As Wooly stated earlier, no PC should leave home without it!

3. About 3,000,000 dice - You can NEVER have enough dice. EVER.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  19:23:11  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mentioned this earlier, but one of my favorites has to be the FR Atlas. A fantastic product that has seen much use from me.

Also on my list are (in no particular order:

City of Splendors boxed set
FRCS
Volo's Guides
Lost Empires of Faerun
Skullport
Ruins of Undermountain
Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves
Sea of Fallen Stars
Menzoberranzan
The Horde
Ruins of Zhentil Keep

Ahhh, who am I kidding, it's easier to write a lot of FR products I DON'T like!

Here it is.....

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 15 Mar 2005 19:23:26
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  23:52:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

1. 1st Edition Dungeon Master's Guide - Excellent source of random generation charts (my personal favorite being the Random Harlot Encounter Table),

On what page is this chart? I've got the 1st edition DMG (actually, I've all of the 1st and 2nd edition hardcovers), and I can't recall ever seeing this chart.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  00:37:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

1. 1st Edition Dungeon Master's Guide - Excellent source of random generation charts (my personal favorite being the Random Harlot Encounter Table),

On what page is this chart? I've got the 1st edition DMG (actually, I've all of the 1st and 2nd edition hardcovers), and I can't recall ever seeing this chart.

192. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  00:44:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

quote:

I'll be dipped. I had seen that before, but it's been so long since I looked at that section that I had quite forgotten about it. The last time I grabbed that book, I was looking for the random personality tables.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  00:53:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:
[bOn what page is this chart? I've got the 1st edition DMG (actually, I've all of the 1st and 2nd edition hardcovers), and I can't recall ever seeing this chart.

I'll be dipped. I had seen that before, but it's been so long since I looked at that section that I had quite forgotten about it. The last time I grabbed that book, I was looking for the random personality tables.

Yup, yup! I love the 1e DMG its got so many hidden treasures!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  01:43:31  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See? I told you!

Go to Top of Page

Dahran
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  13:35:34  Show Profile  Visit Dahran's Homepage Send Dahran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any thoughts or opinions of what the best or classic adventures are?
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  14:33:54  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my personal favourite (and one I have run several times for them same group of players with different PCs) has always been X2 Castle Amber. Also, the original I9 Ravenloft is always a classic, great for a Halloween session.

Other great modules include (but are not limited to):
B2 Keep on the BOrderlands - Great starter adventure with alot happening to get new players (and new PCs) a little XP and alot of experience.

CM3 Sabre River - Has a nice plot with the chance to get some massive cash.

S2 White Plume Mountain - Short, sweet, with some nasty items. Black Razor, anyone?

A1-4 Scourge of the Slave Lords - A massive adventure.

Come to think of it, throw in the Against the Giants/Vault of the Drow adventures. A whole campaign in on set of books.

I think that's good to get you started.

Edited by - Melfius on 18 Mar 2005 15:35:25
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  18:07:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Melfius,

Did you convert any of those classics into the Realms?
Go to Top of Page

Dahran
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  18:45:56  Show Profile  Visit Dahran's Homepage Send Dahran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I often wondered about some of those classic adventures myself, but they were sadly well before my time. I wonder how hard it would be to convert some of those vintage modules over to current rules? From what I have seen, it didn't seem out of reach, but would take some time to accomplish. Though I admit I don't know how much was changed between first and second edition. I have a download in PDF format that explains how to convert second edition AD&D products. Though I could almost swear there is a problem with monsters and experience? I know this is a bit off the subject in regards to Forgotten Realms, but what do you gentleman think about Ravenloft?
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  19:14:34  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Melfius,

Did you convert any of those classics into the Realms?

Well, the Ravenloft and Castle Amber modules work just fine as they both are cases of PCs waking up having been transported somewhere else in their sleep.

As for the rest of them, I ran them with players in the Realms, but didn't really specify where/when they occurred. Kinda generic, I know, but sometimes you just don't have the time to come up with an adventure on your own!

Now that I think of it, I did do a little tweaking for Castle Amber, incorporating the D'Amberville family into the Realms after they were set free from their curse. I even converted everything to 2nd Ed (but not 3rd). Hmmm.... I think I may have found my next project!

Edited by - Melfius on 18 Mar 2005 19:16:17
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  19:17:45  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I even took my 1st Ed DMG to GenCon and had Gary Gygax autograph that specific table. He got quite the chuckle out of that.

Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  10:46:00  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Favorite FR books?

"Forgotten Realms Adventures" is still extremely useful for the cities section.
"Lands of Intrigue" is a timeless classic, especially the cities section.
"FRCS". Yep, I think 3e has the best version of the setting.
"Lord of Darkness" may be standing on the shoulders of giants, but it is a great book.
"Lost Empires of Faerun", it gives me great joy to put the most recent book on my list. The setting is still vital
"Waterdeep and the North" is a bit dated, but still fun.
"Silver Marches", would be a great foundation for a classic FR campaign. I hope to do it someday. Its a shame it is softcover.

... and the list could go on. I have recently grown a fondness for the Volo guides, but I still think the format in FRA and LoI is better.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  15:38:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

... and the list could go on. I have recently grown a fondness for the Volo guides, but I still think the format in FRA and LoI is better.

Really? The Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover is what got me interested in the Realms, but the Volo's Guides are what made it come alive for me. That's why I count them among my favorites -- they breathed into the Realms a kind of life I'd simply not seen before, and made the setting that much more interesting.

Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  18:03:14  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Really? The Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover is what got me interested in the Realms, but the Volo's Guides are what made it come alive for me. That's why I count them among my favorites -- they breathed into the Realms a kind of life I'd simply not seen before, and made the setting that much more interesting.

Well, they are hard to rank, but utility at the gaming table always wins in a tie as far as I am concerned. The beauty about the FRA two-pagers is that I am able to quickly find info when players requests temples, mages and so on.

Also, Baldur's Gate II made FR come alive for me, so I did not need Volo for that
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  21:01:09  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dahran

Any thoughts or opinions of what the best or classic adventures are?
The Realms doesn't have a lot of first-rate adventure material; FRQ1 Haunted Halls of Eveningstar and The Ruins of Undermountain are among the exceptions. Of the non-Realms modules, all the Gygax modules are classics. The difficulty in converting them depends on how precisely you use the rules in play, and how adept you are with them out of play. It can be quite easy or extremely time-consuming. The differences between AD&D and AD&D 2nd edition are much less drastic than the changes in 3E.
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

Obviously, it's better if you want an at-a-glance summary, worse if you want more detailed information.

Edited by - Faraer on 20 Mar 2005 21:02:06
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2005 :  22:35:31  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will always have a soft spot for Under Illefarn, Haunted Halls of Eveningstar and Halls of the High King.

Volo's guide to Waterdeep is my personal fave of the volo guides. I thought it illuminated Waterdeep for me. City of Splendors box set was pretty awesome too, that + volo's guide could build an almost infite campaign around waterdeep.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2005 :  02:07:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tamsar

I will always have a soft spot for Under Illefarn

A very worthy choice that first introduced me to another passionate Realms fan.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2005 :  18:16:52  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For me, the best FR work has been Eric Boyd's "Faiths and Avatars" and "Demihuman Deities." I still reference both frequently. While I think lots and lots of work in the Realms has been good, sometimes even great, those two supplements I consider brilliant.
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2005 :  18:35:38  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarves Deep, Silver Marches.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2005 :  18:36:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

For me, the best FR work has been Eric Boyd's "Faiths and Avatars" and "Demihuman Deities." I still reference both frequently. While I think lots and lots of work in the Realms has been good, sometimes even great, those two supplements I consider brilliant.

I'll agree that those are wonderful supplements. But I'm curious as to why those two made your list, but the middle book, Powers & Pantheons, didn't.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2005 :  18:41:36  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'll agree that those are wonderful supplements. But I'm curious as to why those two made your list, but the middle book, Powers & Pantheons, didn't.

Might be that he doesn't reference that tome as much as the other two supplements. I know that's the case for this scribe. Powers and Pantheons is a fine tome. But, I consult it very rarely.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2005 :  18:56:42  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wooly,

It would, except I don't use it as often and so don't know it as well as the other two.

EDIT: It looks like I failed my Will save to resist Sirius's ESP spell.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 30 Mar 2005 18:57:59
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2005 :  20:08:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp
EDIT: It looks like I failed my Will save to resist Sirius's ESP spell.

The one time a spell of mine works and I blow it on this rather than "Send Sirius a copy of the outline to Resurrection."
Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  23:54:07  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*psssst Paul* Thats not a good thing never hint to your Will save I heard there was some pretty dominating DM's floating around. *lol*

I loved the Faith and Pantheon's but it is rarely in use in our gaming group either. I am big on art work it had alot of pretty art work in it.

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000