Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Old Bloodstone Modules
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dahran
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  11:56:52  Show Profile  Visit Dahran's Homepage Send Dahran a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings one again everyone, I am back with a question. I became aware that the old, if not classic Bloodstone modules are rare and harder to come by then a lot of vintage Forgotten Realms material. I know the first one which made use of the Battle system is the most difficult of the entire series and understandingly the most expensive, if it can be found in collectable condition. I have never before owned any of these materials, but do see them on E-Bay and other sites in various conditions. I was wondering if these modules are any good and what is the general opinion about them? Do they justify the $45-$100 price range when in good, collectable condition? Are they even worthy to collect since only the last module in the series carried the Forgotten Realms logo? From what I know all of them take place in the Forgotten Realms, but aren't branded such has Treasure Hunt. Any thoughts you might share would be appreciated.

Edited by - Dahran on 13 Mar 2005 12:00:22

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  12:23:03  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably not worth the $50 plus price tage

If you want to get them I suggest you get them in PDF format from Svgames they sell for about $5 each

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dahran
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  12:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Dahran's Homepage Send Dahran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is it that you believe that they are not worth their normal asking price? I'm not a big fan of paying a lot of money for older gaming material, but I'm not a fan of PDF versions of the out of print stuff either. It is said that beggars can't be choosers, but having a choice helps. I also remember being told that one can't have their cake and eat it to and that sometimes you have to make some kind of sacrifice. In this case you either buy the PDF file for a small amount of money, or pay the piper and get the actual game material. Considering a fair number of people on the forum collect Forgotten Realms material I would wager most of them pay what they can, if they are able to. I however thank you for you thoughts, but if you would share your thoughts further on the matter I would appreciate it even more.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  12:47:11  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are a collector the 50 USD price might be worth it as they value might increase over the next years.

If however you want to read them the PDF makes a lot more sense, also you can print out the file if you do not like dealing with on screen reading.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  19:12:04  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I managed to pick up the first module only last year. It cost me £70! However, it was the last FR product that I had needed to get and i'd been searching for it for years.

To be honest, it's not very good at all, but I didn't expect much from it before I bought it, I just had to get it for completness and because i'm a collector and lover of the Realms.

The next three modules are much better (H3 and H4 both contain the FR logo, not just the last one). H4 is set on the planes, rather than in the Realms but is a pretty meaty module.

Good luck

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Dahran
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2005 :  20:20:54  Show Profile  Visit Dahran's Homepage Send Dahran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lord Rad, thank you for your reply, it is greatly appreciated. I have recently become an admirer of Faerun and the Forgotten Realms. It all started when I read the Starlight & Shadow's series a short while ago. The rest is dust in the wind and barely a memory now. It honestly amazes and astounds me how I had some how ignored it, considering my older brother loved the Forgotten Realms and was a lover of the novels. I had even leafed through a handful of the gaming material he had way back then, it some how didn't catch my imagination the way Dragonlance did a little later. I attribute my new found admiration to being a bit older and being able to appreciate Ed Greenwood's wonder and splendid creation. I digress though, shortly after reading the before mentioned series along with some scrolls here at Candlekeep became enamored with Faerun. Wanting to collect all the Realms lore that I could find and house it on my own shelves in my humble library. The biggest frustration is buying some material only to find it a short time later in better condition (still in the shrink wrap no less!) for the same price. I swear it is enough to drive a sane man off the deep end and into the ocean, straight Umberlee's arms! Congratulations on completing your collection however, is feat I'm sure only a few people here at Candlekeep can attest to!

Edited by - Dahran on 13 Mar 2005 20:23:12
Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  21:26:25  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With luck,
I had a bunch of used things come through my gaming store and was marked *joy* as half price so I managed to get a bunch of the Forgotten realms old stuff at 1/2 original price.

So if i see any of the bloodstone stuff on sale here I will be glad to grab it for you if you haven't already been able to get ahold of it.

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."
Go to Top of Page

Dahran
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  23:49:57  Show Profile  Visit Dahran's Homepage Send Dahran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, I appreciate your thoughtfulness in full. I later on did purchase those Bloodstone modules, though Blood Stone Pass still eludes me at the moment. My Forgotten Realms collection has grown rather nicely, though my purse is much lighter than before I came to Candlekeep in search of knowledge about the realms over. It is a price I would gladly pay though again, if because of the grand adventures I have had with in my imagination.
Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  23:51:33  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Understandable I will keep my eyes open for Bloodstone Pass for you then.

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  03:17:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dahran
I later on did purchase those Bloodstone modules, though Blood Stone Pass still eludes me at the moment.

Is Pass the one with the counters? If so, yes, that is very hard to find. I remember stumbling across two copies at a convention. The vendor was so into Magic the Gathering, he had no clue what the modules were worth.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  03:51:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Dahran
I later on did purchase those Bloodstone modules, though Blood Stone Pass still eludes me at the moment.

Is Pass the one with the counters? If so, yes, that is very hard to find. I remember stumbling across two copies at a convention. The vendor was so into Magic the Gathering, he had no clue what the modules were worth.

I believe so since it's the one of the two I'm missing as well. Some day I will manage to find these remaining five to complete my set. :(

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 06 Apr 2005 04:10:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000